Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

PleasureKevin posted:

i thought it was just some random hack for fun on a slow news day but nope microsoft explicitly made that a feature
Add even greater capability and versatility to your iPad Pro by powering the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter with a USB Power Adapter. Then you can connect USB peripherals like hubs, Ethernet adapters, audio/MIDI interfaces, and card readers for CompactFlash, SD, microSD, and more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWqbpfhcMWc&t=124s

Linguica fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

NO

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
yes! yes! the ipad has finally become an android device ca. 2011

"b-but you can't access the file system", the last defense of the yospos apple fanboy

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
fyi the ipad's always had weird adapters and i don't know what rock you've been living under

in fact it wouldn't be apple without various adapters due to lack of ports

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

idk maybe?

but really NOO

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

well it's OS X so it all Just Works

but Microsofts plan is to have people plug in ethernet, mice and keyboards to their phones and use them as workstations

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
the only thing people actually use that for is reviewing photos on SD cards during mobile shoots because camera tethering is a giant pile of poo poo

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

really i would have been surprised if iOS didn't support an ethernet connection since that's the most stable way to set up an ipad as a POS terminal

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

only 19.1 million xbox ones sold, according to EA

compared to PS4's 36 million

for the record, vgchartz would have been pretty close, actually over-estimating a few million

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/18/microsoft-sold-xbox-one-ea

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

only 19.1 million xbox ones sold, according to EA

compared to PS4's 36 million

for the record, vgchartz would have been pretty close, actually over-estimating a few million

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/18/microsoft-sold-xbox-one-ea

it was cheaper at launch and allowed you to swear while playing basketball games. of course it sold better.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
more like vg sharts

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
shaggar how do you square your support for edge and your hatred with webm and vp9?

https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2016/04/18/webm-vp9-and-opus-support-in-microsoft-edge/

seems pretty enthusiastic to me. (h265 is dead).

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
vp9 is actually dead so idk why they're bothering. seems like a waste of time.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

is hardware decoding for vp9 still not a thing? if so then useless.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
yeah vp9 was doa

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

h265 is going to get baked in to the new gen of chips and the contract is sealed

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
if we're doing codec chat, there was a daala update a couple of weeks ago in case you missed it: https://people.xiph.org/~jm/daala/deringing_demo/

is there a current codec thread somewhere?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Wheany posted:

if we're doing codec chat, there was a daala update a couple of weeks ago in case you missed it: https://people.xiph.org/~jm/daala/deringing_demo/

is there a current codec thread somewhere?
not that i'm aware of

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

h265 is going to get baked in to the new gen of chips and the contract is sealed

it might get baked into chips since the work started years ago, but the patent holders are doing a good job of making sure nobody actually wants to use it.

it seems like every company except for apple is getting behind the av1 codec since by now they probably all want to tell the mpeg-la patent trolls to gently caress off.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

The_Franz posted:

it seems like every company except for apple

so, every media-technology company that doesn't matter

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Windows 10: If you have two monitors, auto hiding the taskbar wont work correctly if you disable the search icon or search box. The more taskbars you have the less it works.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
today someone shared their screen with a double height bottom aligned taskbar

disgusting

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

The_Franz posted:

it seems like every company except for apple is getting behind the av1 codec since by now they probably all want to tell the mpeg-la patent trolls to gently caress off.

gooling for av1 codec gives me results for avi codec :downs:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

so, every media-technology company that doesn't matter

if netflix, amazon, google and all of the major chip manufacturers don't matter then yes

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
the new inconvenient metro interfaces make win 10 a slight downgrade from win 7, but the thing about having internet ads and other poo poo on desktop searches, having one drive trying to connect and failing twice robbing me of my precious focus and blocking the windows I want to click on give it a bit of a win-95-with-malware feel.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

ahmeni posted:

today someone shared their screen with a double height bottom aligned taskbar

disgusting

if you do anything with the taskbar besides stick it on the left/right edge of the screen (use small icons, add text labels, show all icons in notification area, or anything else that turns it back into windows 95) we can't be friends

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEWG6kSYqlY

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I put shortcut icons in the taskbar, when windows 8 took the start menu away I barely noticed

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

oval office AND PASTE posted:

if you do anything with the taskbar besides stick it on the left/right edge of the screen (use small icons, add text labels, show all icons in notification area, or anything else that turns it back into windows 95) we can't be friends
bring back windows classic or at least let me trim away the unnecessary padding imo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
if you don't have task bar on bottom you are hosed up in the head.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Shaggar posted:

if you don't have Mac OS X dock on bottom you are hosed up in the head.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
if you have mac osx you are a huge retard and deserve death.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

if you don't have mac osx you are a huge retard and deserve death.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

bring back windows classic or at least let me trim away the unnecessary padding imo

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
that looks suspiciously like a not-windows 10 screenshot

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

nein, for it is you who has issues with the more aesthetic top of screen status bar

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

anthonypants posted:

that looks suspiciously like a not-windows 10 screenshot

there's no padding left on win10 so there is nothing to change

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Shaggar posted:

lol

yeah lemme just rob precious height pixels from my widescreen displays

taskbar on the side sucka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
auto hide the taskbar for maximum pixels

• Locked thread