Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Mike-o posted:

I gotta channel my inner Randy Marsh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZeVoAwEODs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

I THOUGHT THIS WAS AMERICUH!

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Mike-o posted:

That is to say, get drunk and look at rocks while camping and pretending to be a scientist.

Also selling my soul for money so oil and mineral companies can RAPE THE EARTH.

Make sure to get that one scholarship for geoscience veterans, so your schooling can be paid for with blood and oil exclusively.

On a totally unrelated note, I was able to teach kids about climate change at a big science fair in DC this weekend, which was absolutely awesome. My table had two soda bottles, a light bulb, and a graph to show the temperature difference between the bottle with CO2 and the one without.

We were sandwiched in between the air forces enormous simulator and the 3D printers. I think there was a mechanical jellyfish to our left.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I was eyeing that scholarship. Yet another way I can piss off young college students by explaining I didn't spend a cent on higher education.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
God drat Tillman scholarship blew me off a second time. What do they want!?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Maybe you weren't, how shall we say, friendly enough for them?

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

I'm doing Electrical Engineering in Michigan and for some reason they accepted every single credit from the AF / DLI as a transfer credit and I had prior college so I now exceed the financial aid limitation for number of credits completed.

So hey, college was fun. Off to try to do contracting.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

The Rat posted:

Couldn't they see I was on their side, though? How could they make such a mistake? Was I just telling it like it is, and they weren't down?

I hope down the road they at least can speak frankly about their decision.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
well my voc rehab thing is tomorrow. it says 2 hours. are you for real? what a waste of my life

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'm already aggravated AF with this people lol it might be rough

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
How do you get signed up for that? I want that

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

DownByTheWooter posted:

How do you get signed up for that? I want that

i signed up through here, 6 weeks later I got a letter in the mail for an appointment

http://www.benefits.va.gov/vocrehab/

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

The Rat posted:

I feel like they fired that rejection off real fast and it went right to his head.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

Zeris posted:

God drat Tillman scholarship blew me off a second time. What do they want!?

wait, I thought you were one of the people that won the scholarship

what happened?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

elite_garbage_man posted:

wait, I thought you were one of the people that won the scholarship

what happened?

Nope that was never the case.

I did encourage people to apply this year and last, though. Free money.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
my mistake

I applied once and didn't get it

oh well

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
none of you fuckers are moto enough to get tillman bux!

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

i signed up through here, 6 weeks later I got a letter in the mail for an appointment

http://www.benefits.va.gov/vocrehab/

ok, cool

I already did this, but I wasn't sure if I should trust the VA when it just sends me to a screen that says, "lol we'll be in touch"

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

DownByTheWooter posted:

ok, cool

I already did this, but I wasn't sure if I should trust the VA when it just sends me to a screen that says, "lol we'll be in touch"

yeah thats why I'm already mad at them lol

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

Degs posted:

I'm doing Electrical Engineering in Michigan and for some reason they accepted every single credit from the AF / DLI as a transfer credit and I had prior college so I now exceed the financial aid limitation for number of credits completed.

So hey, college was fun. Off to try to do contracting.

I'm doing EE on Long Island and these dicks accepted 0 of my 52 credits.

At least I got priority registration for my time here since it's based on # of credits.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

DownByTheWooter posted:

ok, cool

They sent me a letter saying they received my request and that they'd review it. They also said they'd send me another letter if they need to meet with me. Of course it took almost a month for me to get that letter. I'm still waiting on the follow-up.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

well my voc rehab thing is tomorrow. it says 2 hours. are you for real? what a waste of my life

It's a group meeting with a bunch of other vets, then you wait around for your individual meeting with your counselor, tell them you want to do college,they'll give you homework (market research) and then you wait two months for a call.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

DownByTheWooter posted:

ok, cool

This sounds like when I submitted my disability claim through the DAV.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I submitted my appeal almost 3 years ago and it has sat with no update since and there's no one I can seem to get ahold of that can tell me where it is and what the hold is.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Grem posted:

It's a group meeting with a bunch of other vets, then you wait around for your individual meeting with your counselor, tell them you want to do college,they'll give you homework (market research) and then you wait two months for a call.

what a loving waste god drat it now I might just no show

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

If you want their benefits you have to jump through as many hoops as they decide there is. Welcome to the VA.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Vasudus posted:

If you want their benefits you have to jump through as many hoops as they decide there is. Welcome to the VA.

I already loathe the VA.......idk why I thought I'd try this

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

I already loathe the VA.......idk why I thought I'd try this

Because getting shitloads of free money to go to school owns really really hard. Just jump through the hoops and collect the cash. Think of this time you spend as a temp job. Take the time they make you spend and divide it by the numbers of dollars a year of tuition/fees/supplies costs. Think about how much you're making per hour for sitting around in bullshit meeting. It isn't that much of an imposition, given how much money they're about to unload on you to do a basic check of whether or not you're wasting it.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Sometimes you have to jump through more hoops than usual, though.

Still waiting for them to unfuck my Fry Scholarship application.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
yeah yeah i'm going. its convertible weather, so at the very least i'll get some sun and tan up some more

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010

yeah yeah i'm going. its convertible weather, so at the very least i'll get some sun and tan up some more

They're usually pretty helpful so long as you have a good idea of what job field you want to get into. the people that tend to get denied are people with no loving clue about what they want to be doing for a living, so they decide not to waste money on them. All of my friends who have applied got it, and most even get extensions to go onto grad school or whatever certification even though their 48 months are up. Hell, I even got the regular vocrehab and I have the bare minimum rating to qualify.

oh and don't be an rear end in a top hat to your rep.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

elite_garbage_man posted:

They're usually pretty helpful so long as you have a good idea of what job field you want to get into. the people that tend to get denied are people with no loving clue about what they want to be doing for a living, so they decide not to waste money on them. All of my friends who have applied got it, and most even get extensions to go onto grad school or whatever certification even though their 48 months are up. Hell, I even got the regular vocrehab and I have the bare minimum rating to qualify.

oh and don't be an rear end in a top hat to your rep.

Oh poo poo, I didn't realize they would potentially extend your benefits if you went over 48 months, that's very good to know.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Oh poo poo, I didn't realize they would potentially extend your benefits if you went over 48 months, that's very good to know.

It depends on a few circumstances but if you have a legit reason it can be done.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
that was stupid bullshit and I'm not doing VR

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
like they started talking about my healthcare provider and poo poo like lol bitch please

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
please make me explain why i quit a job at DQ 16 years ago in detail

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

please make me explain why i quit a job at DQ 16 years ago in detail

I'll tell them my mothers maiden name and the thought process behind my banking passwords if they'll pay for a year and a half of law school and buy me some professional wardrobe

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I'll tell them my mothers maiden name and the thought process behind my banking passwords if they'll pay for a year and a half of law school and buy me some professional wardrobe

she made the decision that I was employable today after 5 minutes and said i'd lose my ssdi lol

I really got the impression that she didn't want the caseload.

She said CS is an iffy degree because one of her people went to ITT Tech and couldn't get a job

what kind of education counselor lets people go to ITT? And then uses it against me?

it was a bad meeting. I don't know why they need my medical poo poo. I don't do medical through VA.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
she kept talking about MEDS this MEDS this. Like I am not signing up for another pill pusher in order to go to school. No thanks. Maybe Voc Rehab is great for some people, but it all sounded like a bunch of typical ineffectual VA bullshit layered on top of the GI Bill. I'll pass, and just use the GI bill, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
They need your medical poo poo to determine if the job/degree you want meshes with your disabilities. It's to make sure that you don't have someone with six herniated discs getting VA money to be a construction worker.

If you're on SSDI uh yeah you're going to lose that poo poo sooner or later, the requirements for that are insanely strict. The second you collect a real paycheck from a real job it'll get yanked, and you may or may not have to pay it back.

• Locked thread