Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Harrow posted:

At that point, you just gotta dodge and dodge real good. Dodge towards him, not away from him--he has great range on that sword and the extra flame trails will gently caress you up if you mistime your dodge. Try to stay on his rear end. Dodging towards him can also help get you in position to backstab him if he does a big swing that leaves him open for a second or two.

It can also help to have a shield with decent fire block on it (if you have the Dragon Crest Shield, it's a good option), but blocking his attacks will chew through your Stamina really quickly.

Thanks for the tips. I ended up beating him just barely, felt really good. The first enemy in the next place will probably kick my rear end again...

I know I'm going really slow, I think I'm level 45 or something, but I'm inching my way forward. It's not power playing by any means but I'm finally starting to get a feel for the dodging, although sometimes I just panic and start mashing buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Orv posted:

You need to advance Siegward's quest line to its final stage for him to save Greirat, and do it before the Pontiff. It can still resolve through other weird combinations, but it's imprecise.

I think the way it's supposed to go is that if you talk to Siegward in the kitchen after the sewer in Irithyll, he will save Greirat as long as you don't advance his quest further before Greirat returns to Firelink. Unfortunately, you can gently caress this up by lightning the Irithyll Dungeon bonfire before letting Siegward save Greirat, like I did.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Coolwhoami posted:

Never stop rolling

Or better yet, buy a dagger and spam its weapon art because it moves you forward really fast. For some reason it seems like you can still use it even when your FP is totally depleted, I'm not sure if that's a bug or not but it sure is nice!

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

FutonForensic posted:

You mean The things that bombarded you during the Dragonslayer fight? Those were the undead on the weird black trees from the beginning.

No, I mean from the description on the spell Divine Pillars of Light.

And also The three giant golden assholes with huge white wings who gently caress your poo poo up in that optional area before the princes, and the giant cage at the top of the archives full of feathers

Orv
May 4, 2011

Harrow posted:

I think the way it's supposed to go is that if you talk to Siegward in the kitchen after the sewer in Irithyll, he will save Greirat as long as you don't advance his quest further before Greirat returns to Firelink. Unfortunately, you can gently caress this up by lightning the Irithyll Dungeon bonfire before letting Siegward save Greirat, like I did.

So get this; the first time through I hosed up so stupendously that in order to get Siegward out of the well in time I had to tell Patches where Greirat was so he'd sell to me. Queue ages later, I miss Siegward in the kitchen entirely, do the Yhorm fight with him and when I get back both Patches and Greirat are back. :psyboom:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Rokstar posted:

Or better yet, buy a dagger and spam its weapon art because it moves you forward really fast. For some reason it seems like you can still use it even when your FP is totally depleted, I'm not sure if that's a bug or not but it sure is nice!

You can use any weapon art when your FP is depleted, but you often don't get their actual special ability, or they do very little damage. I think the quickstep doesn't get i-frames if you have no FP, but you can still use it to move through the swamp really quickly.

Orv posted:

So get this; the first time through I hosed up so stupendously that in order to get Siegward out of the well in time I had to tell Patches where Greirat was so he'd sell to me. Queue ages later, I miss Siegward in the kitchen entirely, do the Yhorm fight with him and when I get back both Patches and Greirat are back. :psyboom:

Huh, what the gently caress. Well, I found Greirat's corpse and did my sad gesture in front of it and vowed he'd survive NG+.

NPC quest timings are really weird.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Orv posted:

supposedly, patches doesn't actually try to kill greirat because greirat let patches out of a cell.

all hearsay but it seems legit

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ShadowMar posted:

supposedly, patches doesn't actually try to kill greirat because greirat let patches out of a cell.

Yeah, this actually seems entirely legit to me. Patches doesn't kill Greirat--the weird giant spider-things do. It seems that either Patches or Siegward can save Greirat.

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007

FutonForensic posted:

You mean The things that bombarded you during the Dragonslayer fight? Those were the undead on the weird black trees from the beginning.

Which undead on the weird black trees? I want to know more about those weird tree-dragon things,they're so cool.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Seems possible.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So if I'm doing 40 str/30 faith primarily for weapon buffs, what's my best talisman option/second best?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Giant Isopod posted:

And also The three giant golden assholes with huge white wings who gently caress your poo poo up in that optional area before the princes, and the giant cage at the top of the archives full of feathers

Yeah those golden dudes are the "angels" the flavour text is referring too probably. I guess they're just another one of the nightmare creatures that the nightmare eclipse in Lothric Castle beckoned forth, and that's like, not armor but their actual body. Like they're a type of gargoyle or something.

The woman in the cage was contacted by them somehow and she transcribed the miracle that they cast into a scroll that you can then use yourself. I'm guessing the feathers aren't hers. Lothric "Winged Knights" crafted their armor to look like the Angels.

Also I'm guessing "angels" are just what people called them since they don't speak any language other than "stab you in the face"

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

So I'm not sure why the Blessed Weapon miracle makes your weapon look like a giant flashlight, but it's probably one of my favourite things.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Harrow posted:

Huh, what the gently caress. Well, I found Greirat's corpse and did my sad gesture in front of it and vowed he'd survive NG+.

NPC quest timings are really weird.

Still the most stressful thing about this game. He never showed up and I got increasingly worried until I went and checked the sewers. Lo and behold I find his body. I legit shed a tear because Greirat didn't deserve this fate. :qq:

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

El Golden Goose posted:

Which undead on the weird black trees? I want to know more about those weird tree-dragon things,they're so cool.

You see them everywhere almost immediately when entering the Wall of Lothric for the first time. The things that all the other passive undead are kneeling around in prayer. They're trying to obtain that state, I'm guessing.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Harrow posted:

You should buy Siegward's armor from Patches. Then, give it to Siegward in the well so he can escape (how the hell does the armor help? I have no idea).

I assumed he just doesn't want to come out naked and dishonorable.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Harrow posted:

What controller do you have? That's pretty necessary information here.

I'm using a Dualshock 4 and it doesn't work plug-and-play. I have to use DS4Windows to make Dark Souls 3 think it's an Xbox controller and then it works fine.

I'm using an Xbox One controller. It works fine for other games, but it not DS3.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Still the most stressful thing about this game. He never showed up and I got increasingly worried until I went and checked the sewers. Lo and behold I find his body. I legit shed a tear because Greirat didn't deserve this fate. :qq:

Greirat is such a nice dude. He's this game's Stockpile Thomas, or maybe more accurately Laurentius. Nothing but kind to you the whole way through. I say more like Laurentius because it's possible to lead him to an untimely death and then feel terrible about it forever.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Giant Isopod posted:

Tell me more about this optional area? How do you get there?

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

There's nothing quite like somersault-sword-smashing an invaders face into the ground :allears:

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Krinkle posted:

Tell me more about this optional area? How do you get there?

Once you pass the courtyard with the black hand dual-wielder guys. If you go forward you have a long run up the stairs with all the knights and crap. Turn left instead and there's a semi-hidden staircase.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Pyromancers are such cool dudes in these games. Cornyx, Laurentius, and Rosabeth are nothing but nice people.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Xenothral posted:

So I'm not sure why the Blessed Weapon miracle makes your weapon look like a giant flashlight, but it's probably one of my favourite things.

It's seriously the best thing. If only the buff it provides wasn't such horseshit. Maybe they'll patch it to be good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gologle posted:

Pyromancers are such cool dudes in these games. Cornyx, Laurentius, and Rosabeth are nothing but nice people.

Yeah, it's kind of a trend. Pyromancers are cool pals, sorcerers are haughty dicks. Even Quelana ends up being super nice--she acts all condescending and superior, but really she's super glad to have a pupil and even when she calls you a "fool" it's affectionately.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Gologle posted:

Actually I think you will find they wield a corrupted version of fire magic and should be cleansed. Also they come from a filthy swamp.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

a lot of poo poo needs to get buffed but the estoc r1 spam desperately needs to get nerfed because having to rely on janky rear end online parries to be able to do anything against that poo poo is garbage.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Rosabeth has the worst voice and I feel like an rear end in a top hat about that but ugh nonetheless.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ShadowMar posted:

a lot of poo poo needs to get buffed but the estoc r1 spam desperately needs to get nerfed because having to rely on janky rear end online parries to be able to do anything against that poo poo is garbage.

Eh, not really. If someone's spamming r1 then literally all you have to do is mash l2 and you'll parry after recovering from the second hit, getting a guaranteed parry.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

28 hours in and I'm level 60 I think. The Shield of Want combined with the hilarious number of souls you get past the catacombs is sure helping my scaling out. I'm never taking this thing off.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

ShadowMar posted:

stack poise > use a heavy weapon (great sword, etc.) > learn where your hyper armor starts in your attack > walk into the poke and smash their stupid faces in :getin:

also the dacing queen has cost me the most deaths bar none. i've got to the point where i can get her to second phase pretty much 100% percent of the time, but i just can't seem to find a safe time to attack second phase. i once got her health down to "of" in her name, but that's the best i've done. as a melee dude, when is it safe to actually smack her in phase 2?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Eh, not really. If someone's spamming r1 then literally all you have to do is mash l2 and you'll parry after recovering from the second hit, getting a guaranteed parry.

See that should happen, but presumably like shadowmar I find myself getting stunlocked way past two hits for parries, rolls or any response at all in many PvP fights, and I frequently have no idea why.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ShadowMar posted:

I said this before but some goon swore up and down that I was wrong. I don't honestly know at this point :shrug: He probably screwed up the bonfire thing too.

Harrow posted:

Greirat is such a nice dude. He's this game's Stockpile Thomas, or maybe more accurately Laurentius. Nothing but kind to you the whole way through. I say more like Laurentius because it's possible to lead him to an untimely death and then feel terrible about it forever.

Yeah he's definitely a great guy, too good for this dark world. :smith:

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Azazell0 posted:

Okay, I bet this has been asked many times, but any tips for the Abyss Watchers ? I've been trying on my own first, but when the 2nd one enters, I lose control of the fight. I've always been bad with multi-mob fights, let alone ones that hit this hard. Is it better to use a quick weapon like my broadsword or a big GS with a lot of reach?

Parry them?

This is my first souls game, and I feel like i've found the Big Secret of the souls games: parry the loving poo poo out of everything

parry knights

parry big dogs

parry tree balls

parry parry parry all fuckin day parry son parry

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

homeless poster posted:

stack poise > use a heavy weapon (great sword, etc.) > learn where your hyper armor starts in your attack > walk into the poke and smash their stupid faces in :getin:

also the dacing queen has cost me the most deaths bar none. i've got to the point where i can get her to second phase pretty much 100% percent of the time, but i just can't seem to find a safe time to attack second phase. i once got her health down to "of" in her name, but that's the best i've done. as a melee dude, when is it safe to actually smack her in phase 2?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Can anyone explain why I've never been summoned to bluebro? Ran it for hours on my first char and my second char has worn it for more than 6 hours and nothing. I get sentinel'd every time I invade, so what gives?

Weapons too upgraded?

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I have no idea what you guys are doing to get summoned in for PVP so much. I think I went over 20 hours with the Darkmoon symbol equipped as I played through the game and I didn't get a single bite. Not even a message about failing to connect. I can still summon people and could see summon signs all over the place when I was embered so I know I'm not barred or softbanned from online play.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Zaphod42 posted:

I said this before but some goon swore up and down that I was wrong. I don't honestly know at this point :shrug: He probably screwed up the bonfire thing too.

Yeah he's definitely a great guy, too good for this dark world. :smith:

The guide agrees that it is in fact true. The hardcover guide book - not some wiki poo poo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Faffel posted:

Can anyone explain why I've never been summoned to bluebro? Ran it for hours on my first char and my second char has worn it for more than 6 hours and nothing. I get sentinel'd every time I invade, so what gives?

Cyberventurer posted:

I have no idea what you guys are doing to get summoned in for PVP so much. I think I went over 20 hours with the Darkmoon symbol equipped as I played through the game and I didn't get a single bite. Not even a message about failing to connect. I can still summon people and could see summon signs all over the place when I was embered so I know I'm not barred or softbanned from online play.

It just doesn't seem to work for some people. :smith:

I'm one of the lucky ones for whom it apparently works fine, but a lot of people have said they just never ever get Sentinel/Darkmoon hits at all.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

HaB posted:

The guide agrees that it is in fact true. The hardcover guide book - not some wiki poo poo.

That doesn't mean anything, dude. The guide gets a lot of poo poo wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Harrow posted:

It just doesn't seem to work for some people. :smith:

I'm one of the lucky ones for whom it apparently works fine, but a lot of people have said they just never ever get Sentinel/Darkmoon hits at all.

My first run I definitely was not over upgraded, so I dunno. Not like you can get past 3 early on anyway. It's weird that everything else works online perfectly, I just can't blue bro. Never tried Watchdogs though.

It's too bad, with the frequent invasions I was gonna have fun being the good guy for once.