Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Genocyber posted:

That doesn't mean anything, dude. The guide gets a lot of poo poo wrong.

It gets like stats n poo poo wrong, but I doubt it would get a HUGE point in a questline wrong like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Faffel posted:

My first run I definitely was not over upgraded, so I dunno. Not like you can get past 3 early on anyway. It's weird that everything else works online perfectly, I just can't blue bro. Never tried Watchdogs though.

It's too bad, with the frequent invasions I was gonna have fun being the good guy for once.

Yeah, it's a ton of fun Darkmooning it up in Irithyll. I hope there's some way to get it working for everyone soon because it's the best poo poo.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Orv posted:

See that should happen, but presumably like shadowmar I find myself getting stunlocked way past two hits for parries, rolls or any response at all in many PvP fights, and I frequently have no idea why.

this, plus even if i do get the parry off even with the shields made for parrying it's still completely up to the whims of their connection if it actually counted or not.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

I would guess your best bet is Irithyll and Anor Londo.

I'm getting summoned as a Darkmoon very regularly there at 65 and it seems to be a hotspot for PvP action at higher levels, too. It's definitely where all the SL 125 action is. As to whether anyone is wearing Way of Blue at those levels, that's anyone's guess.

f#a# posted:

76 here, and I get summoned all over the place. I was progressing through Lothric Castle and got summoned into Smouldering Lake.

Spent some time in both of these places (and basically every late game area) and got nothing unfortunately. It's just really irritiating because these covenant items are pretty much all that's stopping me getting all the trophies (and the drop rates for farming them are just ridiculous - even if you boost up your item discovery to like 400 you'd be lucky to get one per hour from the silver knights)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

HaB posted:

It gets like stats n poo poo wrong, but I doubt it would get a HUGE point in a questline wrong like that.

You clearly have more faith in Prima than I do.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Genocyber posted:

You clearly have more faith in Prima than I do.

All I can say for certain about the Greirat quest is he comes back safe from Irithyll if you defeat Pontiff Sulyvahn after completing Siegward's quest up to the kitchen.

I wouldn't trust Patches to save him because it's loving PATCHES.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Invaders being able to activate red signs in a host's world would do a lot to balance out the ganksquad problem imo

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Harrow posted:

Yeah, it's a ton of fun Darkmooning it up in Irithyll. I hope there's some way to get it working for everyone soon because it's the best poo poo.

when i found the aldritch covenant, i literally could not climb the ladder out of that place without being summoned to invade. 10 invasions in a row for my first 10 dregs, and every time i got back to my world, i could not get my guy up the ladder back to londor before i would be asked to invade again.

i maxed out the purple invader covenant and i never had to wait more than 30 seconds to get a hit. no problem invading whatsoever.

otoh i have worn both bluebro covenants and the wolf covenant for some combination of 20 hours across multiple zones / character levels / equipment levels and i have never once ever been summoned to help someone. i have no idea what sorcery is actually required to be summoned as bluebro / darkmoon / wolfboy but apparently it's not in the cards for me for darksouls 3. the frustrating thing is that this gates off two cheevos, because you need the darkmoon to get the miracle cheevo, and that to get the "every other cheevo" one

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

homeless poster posted:

when i found the aldritch covenant, i literally could not climb the ladder out of that place without being summoned to invade. 10 invasions in a row for my first 10 dregs, and every time i got back to my world, i could not get my guy up the ladder back to londor before i would be asked to invade again.

i maxed out the purple invader covenant and i never had to wait more than 30 seconds to get a hit. no problem invading whatsoever.

otoh i have worn both bluebro covenants and the wolf covenant for some combination of 20 hours across multiple zones / character levels / equipment levels and i have never once ever been summoned to help someone. i have no idea what sorcery is actually required to be summoned as bluebro / darkmoon / wolfboy but apparently it's not in the cards for me for darksouls 3. the frustrating thing is that this gates off two cheevos, because you need the darkmoon to get the miracle cheevo, and that to get the "every other cheevo" one

The Wolves of Farron get bites pretty regularly between SL 20-30 and then it drops off a cliff after that. I've gotten two nibbles since the Abyss Walkers and both of them were probably NG+ characters.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

homeless poster posted:

I've been summoned about twenty times as a blue sentinel in ten hours of gametime but that's probably just me stealing your luck. It's the exact same problem as DS1/2: To be a bluebro someone else has to conscious decide not to be any of the other much more fun covenants and ask for your help.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

Invaders being able to activate red signs in a host's world would do a lot to balance out the ganksquad problem imo

I wouldn't even mind all invasions being 1v2 or 1v3 if running away and drinking estus wasn't so effective.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Where do I use the lift key and the old cell key?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Faffel posted:

Can anyone explain why I've never been summoned to bluebro? Ran it for hours on my first char and my second char has worn it for more than 6 hours and nothing. I get sentinel'd every time I invade, so what gives?

Weapons too upgraded?

It doesn't work. Its broken.

Watchdogs, Sentinels, Blades of the Darkmoon, flat out do not work ever. I got 2 watchdog summons in my life and 0 of the others.

Soapstones, invasions with cracked or normal red eye orb, and aldritch faithful work perfectly. I get summoned every 30 seconds.

Harrow posted:

It just doesn't seem to work for some people. :smith:

I'm one of the lucky ones for whom it apparently works fine, but a lot of people have said they just never ever get Sentinel/Darkmoon hits at all.

What in the gently caress is going on :psyduck: I thought it wasn't really working for anybody, but for random people you do actually get bluecop summons? Man that is just not fair.

Oxxidation posted:

The Wolves of Farron get bites pretty regularly between SL 20-30 and then it drops off a cliff after that. I've gotten two nibbles since the Abyss Walkers and both of them were probably NG+ characters.

Wolves at least that makes sense, nobody goes back to Farron after they're at a certain level. But no loving clue why so many of us aren't getting bluecop summons, when clearly there are still people in the way of the blue because when I invade I often end up seeing bluecops.

Gotta be some kind of matchmaking bug.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I've not been real happy with my lowbie luck build guy. I was trying to see how effective you could be starting as a thief, using the bandit's knife and ignoring str/dex for luck entirely.

Turns out: Not very. It's like the worst parts of starting as a caster (raw/flame infusions required, bad damage and ho-hum weapon choice in general) with none of the upsides (namely the utility of having juiced up spells). Bleed has the same problem it had back in Dark Souls 1 insofar as it's decent for bosses and pvp, but you're better off having a big boy weapon for chaff enemies so you can just kill them in 2 hits. It's going to be a giant chore to get to the profaned coal to get both bleed and hollow infusions, and I'm reckoning I'm going to need one of each to switch between depending on the circumstances.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

What in the gently caress is going on :psyduck: I thought it wasn't really working for anybody, but for random people you do actually get bluecop summons? Man that is just not fair.

I got summoned eight or nine times last night in Irithyll and AL at SL 60-65. In one of them, so many invaders showed up that I ended up killing five invaders in a single summoning, the last two in a two-on-one after the host and his other phantoms hosed off to go finish up Irithyll. I ended up getting a total of like 12 Proofs of a Concord Kept last night alone. I'm hoping that keeps up because one or two more nights like this and I'll have Darkmoon Blade no problem.

So it's definitely working for some people and I have no idea why I'm one of the lucky ones.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

I got summoned eight or nine times last night in Irithyll and AL at SL 60-65. In one of them, so many invaders showed up that I ended up killing five invaders in a single summoning, the last two in a two-on-one after the host and his other phantoms hosed off to go finish up Irithyll. I ended up getting a total of like 12 Proofs of a Concord Kept last night alone. I'm hoping that keeps up because one or two more nights like this and I'll have Darkmoon Blade no problem.

So it's definitely working for some people and I have no idea why I'm one of the lucky ones.

The only progress I'm going to make tonight is towards the Aldrich Faithful and Darkmoons and I'm going to hope that I can finally get area invading/ counter-invading to work, last night was so incredibly cool with the constant reinforcements and invasions. I even had a sentinel stand guard while I talked to Siegward, instead of chasing after the invader.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

DeathSandwich posted:

I've not been real happy with my lowbie luck build guy. I was trying to see how effective you could be starting as a thief, using the bandit's knife and ignoring str/dex for luck entirely.

Turns out: Not very. It's like the worst parts of starting as a caster (raw/flame infusions required, bad damage and ho-hum weapon choice in general) with none of the upsides (namely the utility of having juiced up spells). Bleed has the same problem it had back in Dark Souls 1 insofar as it's decent for bosses and pvp, but you're better off having a big boy weapon for chaff enemies so you can just kill them in 2 hits. It's going to be a giant chore to get to the profaned coal to get both bleed and hollow infusions, and I'm reckoning I'm going to need one of each to switch between depending on the circumstances.

I'm thinking you're gonna wanna kill Anri asap for the sword since you can't land a hollow infusion till much later.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

HaB posted:

The guide agrees that it is in fact true. The hardcover guide book - not some wiki poo poo.

There is no world in which I would trust a paid guide writer over some dedicated internet sperglord :v:

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Eh, I'm planning on basically doing 40/40 FTH/INT, and 35 STR for this build, so no dex. I wanna experiment with greatshields and pyromancy for this one, it's gonna be a weird set-up.
I think the softcap for pyromancy is 30/30? Or some combination of int/fth that adds up to 60.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Zaphod42 posted:

Wolves at least that makes sense, nobody goes back to Farron after they're at a certain level.

wasn't wolves supposed to be (in theory) like the forest cat covenant in DS1? how did they gently caress it up so bad? only people of a certain SL were ever going thru the garden to fight Sif, but there was a ton of action with the cat covenant. i don't remember, but could you get invaded by the cat covenant without having to be human form? i guess that could be a big difference, since in this you have to be in ember mode to get any invasion style PVP hits.

i guess it also doesn't help that the garden in DS1 was a cool, mysterious area that had great ambiance, and farron's is loving blight town 3.0. i guess i can see why everyone is like "get me through here and gently caress if i am ever coming back for any reason"

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
mound making on this guy in settlement with the untrue white ring is a blast

last night I got embroiled in a grand melee with the host and a bluecop VS two hostile purples; I fought alongside the cop and the host and vanquished one of the invaders, killed some enemies, then whacked the bluecop when he ran away with like 10 hp left to get my vertebra

I don't think he ever realized I wasn't a white phantom

this covenant is the best

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I'm really bad with names. Yuria told me to kill Orbeck and I was like "that's the pyromancer right"

Rest in peace Cornyx.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

homeless poster posted:

wasn't wolves supposed to be (in theory) like the forest cat covenant in DS1? how did they gently caress it up so bad? only people of a certain SL were ever going thru the garden to fight Sif, but there was a ton of action with the cat covenant. i don't remember, but could you get invaded by the cat covenant without having to be human form? i guess that could be a big difference, since in this you have to be in ember mode to get any invasion style PVP hits.

i guess it also doesn't help that the garden in DS1 was a cool, mysterious area that had great ambiance, and farron's is loving blight town 3.0. i guess i can see why everyone is like "get me through here and gently caress if i am ever coming back for any reason"

I saw maybe three watchdogs the entire game, and was only personally attacked by one. It's a real waste.

e: Gonna have to buy the white ring to be a mad phantom jerk too.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Andrast posted:

I wouldn't even mind all invasions being 1v2 or 1v3 if running away and drinking estus wasn't so effective.

A great thing about Bloodborne was that even an un-upgraded gun with no BLT investment could punish a person out of vialing if you were good. I'm having problems getting the same thing going with pyro, since the cast is sort of slow.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

DeathSandwich posted:

If you don't mind ruining a questline: Kill Anri for her sword at your convenience. Anri's Straight Sword scales super hard on Luck and can also be buffed with spells/resins. Throw on a Carthus Rouge for bleed and let the good times roll.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Why is there sometimes a fog door not letting me exit Firelink??
[edit] And then it's not, if I take the door offscreen or something...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

homeless poster posted:

Yeah I think that's the big difference; the garden was just a pretty cool area to chill in and it was kinda in the middle of the game so you were often nearby there. Farron being kinda blighttown swampy means lots of people clear it out and then don't ever feel like going back.

Good news is that Irithyll is the second cat covenant zone, and it works perfectly because Irithyll is a loving cool zone. The pvp seems to have settled on this area for sure, I'm getting non-stop 2v2 battles outside of Sulyvahn's bonfire. (After him, not before him)

I think people just don't want to fight in the muck.

That said, I wish the game would summon me as a bluecop already! But I guess it just really wants me to embrace the invader mentality. At least as a mound-maker I can invade and then turn around and fight other invaders if I so choose.

Feenix posted:

Why is there sometimes a fog door not letting me exit Firelink??

Its a loading screen. Just wait :rolleyes:

Bloodborne took forever to load the hunter's dream so they partitioned firelink, its pretty easy to figure out.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Is there a big difference between 30/30 vs. 40/40 int + faith for pyromancy? Those extra 20 points are a pretty enormous investment that I could really use to up my hp and stamina.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

It's a loading screen. Just wait :rolleyes:

Bloodborne took forever to load the hunter's dream so they partitioned firelink, its pretty easy to figure out.

The fog walls often a longer to disappear than any other load screen in the game for me (playing on PC with an SSD).

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 20, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

homeless poster posted:

The cat covenant had no SL restriction for invasions, which made it a miserable hell of cheaters, hackers, bad sports, and hilarious Youtube videos. The Wolves act under normal invasion settings.

Also invasions trigger at the swampy area topside, not at the poison world below, but they can continue down there if the invadee runs far enough.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vargs posted:

Is there a big difference between 30/30 vs. 40/40 int + faith for pyromancy? Those extra 20 points are a pretty enormous investment that I could really use to up my hp and stamina.

Not nearly as big as between 20/20 and 30/30. There's a difference, but it's the same as going from 60 Int to 70 Int for sorcery (i.e. probably not worth it unless there's literally nowhere else to put those points).

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

mound making on this guy in settlement with the untrue white ring is a blast

last night I got embroiled in a grand melee with the host and a bluecop VS two hostile purples; I fought alongside the cop and the host and vanquished one of the invaders, killed some enemies, then whacked the bluecop when he ran away with like 10 hp left to get my vertebra

I don't think he ever realized I wasn't a white phantom

this covenant is the best

oh poo poo armor of favor is in the game? take my money...wait, you have it...

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hamsterlady posted:

I'm really bad with names. Yuria told me to kill Orbeck and I was like "that's the pyromancer right"

Rest in peace Cornyx.

:golfclap:

:laffo:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

turtlecrunch posted:

oh poo poo armor of favor is in the game? take my money...wait, you have it...

if you're looking for it it's added to the old lady's inventory when you get the fap ring, which is the reward for killing those two bloodborne dogs by the aldrich faithful npc

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Vargs posted:

Pyromancy scales off the sum of int and faith, and the soft cap for it is the same as for sorcery and miracles: 60. So you should just aim for 30/30, the extra points aren't really worth it.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

if you're looking for it it's added to the old lady's inventory when you get the fap ring, which is the reward for killing those two bloodborne dogs by the aldrich faithful npc

lol I have never killed those but someone told me about the ring, I just haven't gotten to it on my current play - almost though. I'm sure it will be tons of fun.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Just had the most chaotically fun battle I've ever done in PvP.
I invaded a world as a Mad Spirit in Farron Woods. While I'm looking for the guy, a Blue Sentinel invaded me back. While he was looking for me, a Farron Watchdog invaded as well.
Eventually, the battle got pulled into the swamp itself, and both crabs + 3 or 4 pole wielding guys jumped in.
It was fantastic, and I got a vertebra shackle out of the whole shebang.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Andrast posted:

The fog walls often a longer to disappear than any other load screen in the game for me (playing on PC with an SSD).

Because you're playing the game while it loads. :v:

games like Mirror's Edge or Mass Effect that have you in an elevator in order to disguise the loading end up taking longer than they would if they didn't, but the idea is you're distracted so maybe it doesn't seem as bad. But that's why mass effect switched away from having elevator transitions, its not usually worth it.

This isn't the same case because the reason they put those fog walls is most of the time all you need to do is shop or level up, so you don't ever need to go outside, so its faster and better. The 3 times you do need to walk outside of firelink after you've gotten further in the game, you can just walk up to the fog wall and then wait a few seconds. Yes, it takes longer to load that way since you're in-game than it would if they just stuck you at a menu. Big whoop. Its still for the best.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

turtlecrunch posted:

lol I have never killed those but someone told me about the ring, I just haven't gotten to it on my current play - almost though. I'm sure it will be tons of fun.

Bait the one on the left first and just stick it out in the little alcove by the ladder. If you manage to stagger one by hitting it on the nose enough you've basically won the fight right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Its a loading screen. Just wait :rolleyes:

One day you'll post without being a smug, condescending shitsucker. I assume it's The First Seal.