Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I know I think I said in this game chats before , but I really wish they made another PoP. And alot of people say Assassin Creed was that, and it in some ways yeah but the platforming and what not was just awesome in PoP. From time to time I like to play the first one because how good it was.. (the ps2 one I mean)

I liked/diskliked PoP 2008. Loved the style, the climbing stuff etc was good.

The whole literally holding your hand so you don't die though?

That was lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

They are the reason i get turned off by alot of indie games sadly. I hate pretentious poo poo with fiery passion and indie games community is full of it. For every Gone Home, their are like 7 sunsets.

Pretty much. I have heard mixed stuff about fire watch. I always get annoyed when a game talks up "mystrious" stuff in the game. and then nothing happens or its something mundane.

Firewatch was boring as gently caress. The voice actors did good jobs, but considering as I didn't particularly identify with or like the characters... I think the plot was meant to be minimalist but ended up thin and boring.

It was just a bunch of hiking along a bunch of surprisingly linear, if interconnected to an extent, areas. They really hyped up the environment, but I didn't find it engaging. Lots of invisible walls didn't help.

The whole time, listening to this chick be a snark before it was cool. That character rubbed me the wrong way from the get-go. The player character seemed to be in a sympathetic predicament, but also annoying more than anything else.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dapper_Swindler posted:

wait what? seriously.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/taleoftales/cathedral-in-the-clouds-contemplation-in-the-digit

Shindragon posted:

That was lame.
Meh, it was essentially just a checkpoint without a loading screen tho. PoP 2008 is probably the only game I played for style over substance, though it's also the only PoP game I played.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Shindragon posted:

I know I think I said in this game chats before , but I really wish they made another PoP. And alot of people say Assassin Creed was that, and it in some ways yeah but the platforming and what not was just awesome in PoP. From time to time I like to play the first one because how good it was.. (the ps2 one I mean)

I liked/diskliked PoP 2008. Loved the style, the climbing stuff etc was good.

That was lame.

Same. I played every 3D PoP (except Forgotten Sands) and thought they all ranged from really good to great. Which is way more than I can say for rear end Creed.

I even thought Warrior Within was awesome, even though that's not the majority opinion. I remember playing the demo for it and being wowed by how you could slice dudes in half.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jon Do posted:

Firewatch was boring as gently caress. The voice actors did good jobs, but considering as I didn't particularly identify with or like the characters... I think the plot was meant to be minimalist but ended up thin and boring.

It was just a bunch of hiking along a bunch of surprisingly linear, if interconnected to an extent, areas. They really hyped up the environment, but I didn't find it engaging. Lots of invisible walls didn't help.

The whole time, listening to this chick be a snark before it was cool. That character rubbed me the wrong way from the get-go. The player character seemed to be in a sympathetic predicament, but also annoying more than anything else.

my problem is they act like something creepy or mystrious is happening in the woods, and its basicaly jack poo poo. watch the first trailer. I seemed like their would be suspense, like maybe you couldnt trust the lady, maybe she was nuts. maybe their is monster or something in the deep woods. But NOPE.

Thats not even a loving game. you could use loving google cardboard for that poo poo.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Mordja posted:

[url]https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/taleoftales/cathedral-in-the-clouds-contemplation-in-the-digit[/url

Hahahahaha that name.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I feel like the only games from 2016 that I've played so far have been indie games

e: checking the wiki article for games from 2016, i actually havent bought any games released in 2016 yet. woops!!!

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 20, 2016

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Oh gently caress I haven't played any games from 2016 yet

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

2016 games I've played: lots

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Monkey Fracas posted:

Oh gently caress I haven't played any games from 2016 yet

Bravely Second owns hth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

my problem is they act like something creepy or mystrious is happening in the woods, and its basicaly jack poo poo. watch the first trailer. I seemed like their would be suspense, like maybe you couldnt trust the lady, maybe she was nuts. maybe their is monster or something in the deep woods. But NOPE.

:raise: but these are like verbatim thoughts I had while playing the game? I will agree that the ending to Firewatch was pants, but getting there had tons of really cool moments

haha h tee h gets filtered to "i'm a huge prick" now

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ugh, my av

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Sakurazuka posted:

Ugh, my av

it's good

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Butt bandit is now giving people lovely Lums.

Whatta scoop

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I'm playing through a backlog and will buy new games when I need them I guess

Not like they're going anywhere

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Paladinus posted:

That Dragon, Cancer is also bad.

I agree, cancer is bad.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lum should not be wearing sensible (if very 80's) clothes

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
Hey why is Dark Souls 2 considered to be the worst of the series? I played it right after finishing DS1 and it seemed like it was cool and better?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

precision posted:

Bravely Second owns hth

:raise: but these are like verbatim thoughts I had while playing the game? I will agree that the ending to Firewatch was pants, but getting there had tons of really cool moments

haha h tee h gets filtered to "i'm a huge prick" now

Agreed. But the ending and the various revlations are disipointing and kinda ruin it for me. yeah it works in a realistic setting, it was disappointing as gently caress to me. I wanted a wendigo or something like that. not some nutjob weirdo.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Hey why is Dark Souls 2 considered to be the worst of the series? I played it right after finishing DS1 and it seemed like it was cool and better?

It is a good game but it should have had 2/3 the content, there is a bunch of filler areas and bosses.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Because a bunch of dumb idiots say so.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

I think it hinges a lot on what you like about dark souls. Ds2 removed a combat mechanic that is somewhat central to my playstyle (heavy attack -> light attack), I lacks the elegant interconnected world design of the first, it has a bunch of really boring bosses.

I like lots of things about ds2 and think it is a great game, but I dislike basically every change from ds1. Hence ds2 being worse.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Volcano elevator

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Whenever someone says Dark Souls 2 is worse than DS1 I associate them with this video and want to punch them really hard.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also ds2 has too many stats, holy gently caress.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BB had the perfect amount of stats, health, stamina, then the four damage types. There's no reason for stuff like equip load to be its own separate stat.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
At least it doesn't have lost izalith

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

so i guess if i go back to 2015 i did play games released in 2015 but they were, again, mostly indie games

in total:
Hand of Fate, Ori & the Blind Forest, Oceanhorn, Axiom Verge, White Night, Grow Home, Attack the Light, Life is Strange, Stealth Inc 2, Titan Souls, Shantae & the Pirate's Curse, Chroma Squad, Wolfenstein the Old Blood, Invisible Inc, Not A Hero, Ronin, Her Story, Undertale, Tembo the Badass Elephant, Kings Quest Episode 1, Fistful of Gun, Lara Croft Go, D4: Dark Dreams Dont Die, Super Mario Maker, BoxBoy, Codename STEAM, Steamworld Heist, Amnesia Memories, Grandia 2, Steins;gate, The Beginner's Guide, Tales From the Borderlands, Darksiders 2 Deathinitive Edition, Pokemon Picross, Rayman Adventures, Downwell, Message Quest, Dreaming Sarah, Adventures of Pip, You Must Build a Boat, Environmental Station Alpha, Tick Tock Isle, Olympia Rising, Dyscourse, Dr. Langeskov, Master Spy, Adventure in the Tower of Flight, A Pixel Story, FreezeME, Aerannis, The Deer God, Halfway, Crosscode, Why Am I Dead at Sea, Platformines, The Room 3, Spaceport Hope, Blues & Bullets, Technobabylon

there are probably others I'm forgetting but yeah it was MOSTLY indie games

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Whenever someone says Dark Souls 2 is worse than DS1 I associate them with this video and want to punch them really hard.

My god that video is awful.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

I'd forgive the rest of that area if it wasn't for the loving bloom blinding me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

Black Gulch is worse than lost Izalith in every way, though. Yeah lost Izalith is unfinished and boring, but it's also quick and painless.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I only managed to get to the point where a native English speaker doesn't know what the word 'poise' means and it's somehow DS2's fault.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Snak posted:

Black Gulch is worse than lost Izalith in every way, though. Yeah lost Izalith is unfinished and boring, but it's also quick and painless.

Uhh black gulch takes like 20 seconds to run through. Like you couldn't even get past the bridge with the titanite demon on it in Izalith in the time it would take you to get to the boss door in the gulch.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

This is an awesome video, thank you for posting.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Black Gulch is tiny and takes like 20 minutes to completely clear, apart from maybe the tough giants in the hidden cave. Not saying all the poison statue poo poo isn't annoying but it's one of the smallest areas in the game.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Snak posted:

Black Gulch is over and done with in like 20 minutes.

Izalith looks like rear end for one half, has a bunch of dull enemies copy pasted for the other and ends with the Bed of Chaos being a huge lovely roadblock boss.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
gently caress you and die humble bundle
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/...tm_medium=email

Stop spamming my email

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Black Gulch could do with having the cute warbly tooth toilet vacuum monsters, though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

Black Gulch could do with having the cute warbly tooth toilet vacuum monsters, though.

I mean is completely a matter of taste, but Lost Izalith was still fun to explore for me and not tedious poison turret bullshit with invaders with way too much health.

But mostly ds2 is "the worst" because ds1 and ds3 are so good. I never played Demon's Souls.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Has anyone ported this mod to DS3 yet? It's my favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lizard Wizard posted:

wtf is it with british people and their need to deliver a 10,000 word precis to freaking everything on earth. You could have just said "I don't like the video game cause it's not like the other video game I like" and nobody would be the wiser, also a lot more people might have actually listened.

• Locked thread