Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Swimming pool matches are a lot more dangerous than people realize, anything with light tubes obviously exposes people to mercury, etc etc. Inferno matches are stupid but mostly because as previously mentioned the wrestlers get gassed super fast from lack of oxygen and the increased temperature. If you count places like DDT, the Sauna match was also probably a horrible idea along with the campground match, construction site match, train match, bus match and basically every other match type that places you somewhere far away from immediate medical attention or a hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Swimming pool matches are a lot more dangerous than people realize

I've watched enough water polo to see dudes try to legit drown each other or twist nuts when the ref isn't looking. A swimming pool match in a carny environment sounds like the worst.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Tell me the best Taz stuff on the network.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Impact isn't on the Network.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
what is a swimming pool match

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

willus posted:

a match in a swimming pool

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

willus posted:

Basically water polo without the ball or nets and with even less regard for human safety

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
are we talking like a proper full size pool because I'm not sure how you're meant to get a pin in one of those, even in the shallow end

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Usually it's a ring in the middle of a pool, often times the ring will not have ropes, sometimes it's just a match in a pool, other times it's a bunch of tanks of water placed all around the ring (see also: Piranha deathmatch). It was also part of the infamous match that was probably the peak of dumb hardcore gimmick types: No Rope Electrified Barbed Wire Swimming Pool Dynamite Double Hell Death Match.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Great White Hope posted:

I realize you added 'worth mentioning', but TNA
Yep.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Impact isn't on the Network.

It's on A network.

At this present time.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Petit Gregory posted:

Not only are Inferno matches hot, the flames suck out all the oxygen from the ring so wrestlers get gassed right away.

Defiance Industries posted:

...which is why the Harris Twins will be booking a ton of them when they own TNA tomorrow

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
i had like 150 unread posts here but i bet that guy who was making GBS threads on Cena for his sloppy execution loves Tanahashi

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..

oatgan posted:

konnan who was the guy responsible for bringing in the AAA wrestlers that got a real showcase in Lucha Underground planned to do more with them in AAA but was ousted because all the old guys and nepotism hires were scared they would lose their spot to the younger luchadores and gringos he was bringing in

if you take him at his word, that is. I'm sure there was more to it, and say what you will about the quality of his booking but he's very vocal about loving the younger guys who haven't really had a chance to shine. The man loves flips.

i never listened to what Konnan said first hand but the word from people in the know is that he keeps getting stymied by the AAA brass that only see the guys they grew up with as stars and don't think anyone else has that potential

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Spermgod posted:

i had like 150 unread posts here but i bet that guy who was making GBS threads on Cena for his sloppy execution loves Tanahashi

you're putting a lot of faith into assuming he even knows other wrestlers :v:

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Great White Hope posted:

I realize you added 'worth mentioning', but TNA did a scaffold match (they called it like Elevation X) I think twice during the Spike Era.

Indeed, and both involved Rhyno of all people. He also won both of them, the first one against AJ and the second against Storm.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Usually it's a ring in the middle of a pool, often times the ring will not have ropes, sometimes it's just a match in a pool, other times it's a bunch of tanks of water placed all around the ring (see also: Piranha deathmatch). It was also part of the infamous match that was probably the peak of dumb hardcore gimmick types: No Rope Electrified Barbed Wire Swimming Pool Dynamite Double Hell Death Match.

Double Hell???? That's insane!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Someone find the Big Japan Flaming Barbed Wire ring match

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I am actually kind of curious as to how the hell Pogo stabbing Kanemura with the scythe worked. It looked like Kanemura was wearing some kind of padding, but he was also gushing blood. Did they break out a blood pack? We must maintain safety in this highly ridiculous match!

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

I am actually kind of curious as to how the hell Pogo stabbing Kanemura with the scythe worked. It looked like Kanemura was wearing some kind of padding, but he was also gushing blood. Did they break out a blood pack? We must maintain safety in this highly ridiculous match!

The answer is Pogo was a literal insane person. There's multiple matches of him stabbing people in the lower back with his scythe and then twirling it around while you watch the tip sink deeper into the skin. As far as I know that scythe was not worked at all.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

ayn rand hand job posted:

that was in fmw but here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3s-4e4AJsg

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
I hate the fuckin scythe. Up there with H's sledgehammer as far as "there is no way to make this not look fake" goes.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Why was Thursday Raw Thursday called that? Seems such a weird name. Is there a reference I'm not getting?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
sunday bloody sunday? i dunno

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

ayn rand hand job posted:

I think BJW actually had a few of those. Most of 'em (including the ones in Puerto Rico and W*ING) had the benefit of not being nearly as crazy (ring setup-wise) as FMW's offering, which actually nearly killed Ed Farhat with smoke inhalation.

Of course, W*ING negated some of the danger of flare-ups by pre-soaking the ring with water, causing the wrestlers to slip around, and then W*ING Kanemura took a bump directly into a bigass fire and got lit up anyways...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Spermgod posted:

I hate the fuckin scythe. Up there with H's sledgehammer as far as "there is no way to make this not look fake" goes.
The worst one I can think of is the battleaxe that the Nightstalker carried around. I'm not sure if they weren't going with the implicit explanation that it was supposed to be a dull prop, but that it was conveniently heavy enough for him to smack his opponents with the flat of it when the ref wasn't looking.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Halloween Jack posted:

The worst one I can think of is the battleaxe that the Nightstalker carried around. I'm not sure if they weren't going with the implicit explanation that it was supposed to be a dull prop, but that it was conveniently heavy enough for him to smack his opponents with the flat of it when the ref wasn't looking.

oh hey that reminds me of Tiger Jeet Singh's fuckin SWORD

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Spermgod posted:

I've always hated the use of weapons that could plausibly kill a human but gets used in the safest, lamest ways possible. Just stick to the chairs, kendo sticks and cookie sheets, guys.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Like perhaps a chainsaw?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spermgod posted:

When it's buried half an inch in a dude's gut I never think it looks fake. Obviously it would never be used that way in a fight but it's used in a gross enough way that it works.

itnomekim
Jul 25, 2012
The Undertaker:
http://www.thesportster.com/wrestling/top-15-things-wwe-wants-you-to-forget-about-the-undertaker/

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I can't wait till technology makes cheap artificial limbs feasible so garbage wrestler can cut each other's hands with machetes.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

It was also part of the infamous match that was probably the peak of dumb hardcore gimmick types: No Rope Electrified Barbed Wire Swimming Pool Dynamite Double Hell Death Match.

I don't know if you can call something the peak of dumb hardcore gimmick types without mentioning the Anus Explosion Deathmatch, where the goal is to literally shove lit fireworks up a dude's rear end in a top hat.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

I don't know if you can call something the peak of dumb hardcore gimmick types without mentioning the Anus Explosion Deathmatch, where the goal is to literally shove lit fireworks up a dude's rear end in a top hat.

Yeah but the feud that this was in owned.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Antonio Inoki vs Mr Saito in a Desert Island Match.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Davros1 posted:

Antonio Inoki vs Mr Saito in a Desert Island Match.

Onita's version of this was better because it had run ins and went from day to night and maybe back to day.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Remember when CM Punk and Chavo Guerrero had a Gulf of Mexico match which is like a table match but with the Gulf of Mexico instead of a table?

That was a cool gimmick.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
More bumps need to be taken into water. The Spring Break Nitros were great for this and need to come back.

Deadman63
Apr 16, 2005

I'm forty years old and have been watching pro wrestling all my life, and am I just now understanding that DX is meant to mean "dicks"? Is this something I have really been missing all these years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

C. Everett Koop posted:

More bumps need to be taken into water. The Spring Break Nitros were great for this and need to come back.