Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

VikingofRock posted:

By this incredibly broad definition of "the press", aren't any advertisements which give information about their advertised product "the press"? Should the government not be able to place restrictions on advertisement?

If an advertiser wanted to set up an entire news network devoted to their products, you probably couldn't stop them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Also the advertising language of press outlets are regulated. Being a newspaper has never let you lie about your subscriber numbers to your ad customers.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think there is a pretty good chance the moon landing will go on currency at some point.

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

it'd better be a coin, and the back of the coin better look like the moon

:ironicat:

:ironicat:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

computer parts posted:

If an advertiser wanted to set up an entire news network devoted to their products, you probably couldn't stop them.

See: all cable news

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

VikingofRock posted:

By this incredibly broad definition of "the press", aren't any advertisements which give information about their advertised product "the press"? Should the government not be able to place restrictions on advertisement?

Whether the freedom stems from freedom of speech or press is almost irrelevant - there's really not much doctrinal difference between the two. But sure, advertising has free press rights too. It's just that advertising is lesser speech.

Advertisements are speech that proposes a commercial transaction (literally how they define that category of speech) and are distinguishable from other speech (and receive a lesser protection, as commercial speech is less important than political speech) as a result.

The government is thus able to restrict commercial speech where the restriction furthers an important government interest and the means of restriction is substantially related to the interest.

In contrast, political speech (like editorial content and political advertising) is core first amendment speech - literally what the First Amendment was intended to protect originally - and restrictions have to further a compelling government interest. The restrictions also have to be narrowly tailored - essentially, they have to show that there's no other way to further the interest other than by restricting the speech.

E: in other words, government can place restrictions on both! It's just that commercial speech is easier to constitutionally restrict than political speech.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Eschers Basement posted:

Correct; however that % was the smallest percentage of all of the age groups, which indicates they turned out in much lower numbers; and given the larger demographic size, that translates to a relatively poor turnout.

https://twitter.com/crampell/status/722834609612787712

Or the best turnout ever.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kalman posted:

In contrast, political speech (like editorial content and political advertising) is core first amendment speech - literally what the First Amendment was intended to protect originally - and restrictions have to further a compelling government interest. The restrictions also have to be narrowly tailored - essentially, they have to show that there's no other way to further the interest other than by restricting the speech.

Could you give an example of such political speech, that the government has a compelling interest in restricting and no other way to further that interest?

This has all been a very useful review for me, but I find that examples help me remember and analyze these things more effectively.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

mdemone posted:

Could you give an example of such political speech, that the government has a compelling interest in restricting and no other way to further that interest?

This has all been a very useful review for me, but I find that examples help me remember and analyze these things more effectively.

Sure. Direct contributions to a candidate, reducing possibility of/appearance of corruption. Buckley.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Wrong, that contains a small sliver of the moon, it is not entirely moon, therefore a failure as both currency and art

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kalman posted:

Sure. Direct contributions to a candidate, reducing possibility of/appearance of corruption. Buckley.

Mmm. Is it realistically possible for literal, verbal/written speech (i.e. not money) to meet this standard?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Wrong, that contains a small sliver of the moon, it is not entirely moon, therefore a failure as both currency and art

If you show the whole moon on a coin, how is it possible to show the landing? Or is it more that you want to memorialize famous werewolf presidents and union leaders?

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

TildeATH posted:

If you show the whole moon on a coin, how is it possible to show the landing? Or is it more that you want to memorialize famous werewolf presidents and union leaders?

werewolf erasure is a serious problem, but also, the coin will have a small protrusion on the edge, to represent the moon lander to appropriate scale.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

blackguy32 posted:

I'm out for union spies to represent me.

Even better. gently caress the Confederacy.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Kalman posted:

Whether the freedom stems from freedom of speech or press is almost irrelevant - there's really not much doctrinal difference between the two. But sure, advertising has free press rights too. It's just that advertising is lesser speech.

Advertisements are speech that proposes a commercial transaction (literally how they define that category of speech) and are distinguishable from other speech (and receive a lesser protection, as commercial speech is less important than political speech) as a result.

The government is thus able to restrict commercial speech where the restriction furthers an important government interest and the means of restriction is substantially related to the interest.

E: in other words, government can place restrictions on both! It's just that commercial speech is easier to constitutionally restrict than political speech.

This is a pretty good post, and I agree with most of it. Thanks. I guess my main point of difference comes from the fact that I think the government has a compelling interest to restrict the amount that can be spent on campaign ads, for much the same reasons that they have a compelling interest to restrict outright bribery. Also I'm not really convinced that freedom to spend money on speech is implied by freedom of speech itself, but I need to think over that one a little more before I argue it.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

mdemone posted:

Mmm. Is it realistically possible for literal, verbal/written speech (i.e. not money) to meet this standard?

I'm not sure I follow your question. Are you asking if it's possible for a regulation on literal verbal or written speech to meet that standard?

If so, sure, written offers of bribery. Same interest (corruption). I would also accept false speech with actual malice about a political officer (balancing criticism of political conduct with protection of reputation) as an answer.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kalman posted:

I'm not sure I follow your question. Are you asking if it's possible for a regulation on literal verbal or written speech to meet that standard?

If so, sure, written offers of bribery. Same interest (corruption). I would also accept false speech with actual malice about a political officer (balancing criticism of political conduct with protection of reputation) as an answer.

Yes, that's what I meant. Thanks for the help.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

VikingofRock posted:

This is a pretty good post, and I agree with most of it. Thanks. I guess my main point of difference comes from the fact that I think the government has a compelling interest to restrict the amount that can be spent on campaign ads, for much the same reasons that they have a compelling interest to restrict outright bribery. Also I'm not really convinced that freedom to spend money on speech is implied by freedom of speech itself, but I need to think over that one a little more before I argue it.

Honestly, if you're interested in this stuff, you could do worse than to read the court cases that set down the rules in the first place. Buckley v. Valeo is a good starting point. They can be frustrating reading but they really do have a lot of the theory and argument behind these distinctions.

You should also read "Make No Law" by Anthony Lewis (about the NYT v Sullivan case) to gain an understanding of why you should be suspicious of anything that might allow the exercise of political power to restrict speech. E: also just because Lewis is an excellent writer and the story itself is really interesting.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Kalman posted:

Honestly, if you're interested in this stuff, you could do worse than to read the court cases that set down the rules in the first place. Buckley v. Valeo is a good starting point. They can be frustrating reading but they really do have a lot of the theory and argument behind these distinctions.

You should also read "Make No Law" by Anthony Lewis (about the NYT v Sullivan case) to gain an understanding of why you should be suspicious of anything that might allow the exercise of political power to restrict speech. E: also just because Lewis is an excellent writer and the story itself is really interesting.

Thanks for the recs, I'll check those out.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax
Great new about Tubman on the $20. However, I always liked to imagine that being put on the fiat currency of a central bank caused Jackson to roll over in his grave so much that the energy generated from it could be used as an alternative energy source. That said having a woman who is also person of color on the $20 is far more important than the schadenfreude I get from Jackson being on there.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Tubgirl should be on the $20 bill.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

ZoCrowes posted:

Great new about Tubman on the $20. However, I always liked to imagine that being put on the fiat currency of a central bank caused Jackson to roll over in his grave so much that the energy generated from it could be used as an alternative energy source. That said having a woman who is also person of color on the $20 is far more important than the schadenfreude I get from Jackson being on there.

Jackson's corpse is too decomposed to build a good turbine with. Tubman lets the country transition to greener, cleaner fresh-corpse rotation using the bodies of rear end in a top hat baby boomers.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Daniel Bryan posted:

Circulation of the new $20 will begin in 2030.

I can understand it being a few years off, but 14? Why so far down the road? We're one GOP administration away from saying "Nah we're not gonna do that" and scuttle the whole thing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ragequit posted:

A U.S. Senator blasts Ted Cruz on Twitter:

It's one thing to have a Presidential primary candidate called out by some random nerd on the internet, but a Senator? Amazing.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Dawg

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ballz posted:

I can understand it being a few years off, but 14? Why so far down the road? We're one GOP administration away from saying "Nah we're not gonna do that" and scuttle the whole thing.

There's probably a set time for when currency can be reissued and by the time they make and approve designs we will have passed the more recent one.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

an improvement, but, this coin contains a smaller moon than it could, since there is space on the coin face that contains text and does not contain the moon, and also the moon is obscured by a bell, both preventing the moon from being fully rendered and also deceiving the viewer into believing that a bell could be as big as the moon, which is much bigger than any bell, so far

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
gently caress it, just gather up all the current $20s and burn them all. Have banks do exchanges or something, poo poo.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ballz posted:

Saw someone saying that the 2030 thing was incorrect and that the change would happen as soon as Treasury could feasibly make it, i.e. probably pretty soon.

Sorry I don't have a source for that.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

MariusLecter posted:

gently caress it, just gather up all the current $20s and burn them all. Have banks do exchanges or something, poo poo.

Send all the current $20s to Oklahoma, forcibly.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

MariusLecter posted:

I used to draw goatees and afros on $1 bills. Lets just do that before phasing them out.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mdemone posted:

Saw someone saying that the 2030 thing was incorrect and that the change would happen as soon as Treasury could feasibly make it, i.e. probably pretty soon.

My understanding is that a new bill design is actually very expensive to set up, design, engrave, and produce, esp. Because of all the anti counterfeiting measures, so there is a long term timetable for production of new bills. It's not something that turns on a dime.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Supreme Court ain't gonna like that...

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I think a better idea would have been putting a Seminole on the $20 bill.

But that's just my opinion.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

Supreme Court ain't gonna like that...

They can make their ruling. Then let them enforce it.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

This, but for $1 bills and then start minting Sacagaweas again :unsmigghh:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

mdemone posted:

NPR said 2020 for the new bill. I haven't heard 2030 anywhere.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I noticed an acquaintance who is very active in black rights on FB is coming out strongly against putting Tubman on the $20. A lot of comments in support and backed up by an article in one (http://www.theroot.com/articles/politics/2015/04/keep_harriet_tubman_and_rosa_parks_off_the_20_bill.html).

quote:

Harriet Tubman's face on the $20 bill is a pretty sick, twisted, disgusting irony if you ask me. Not here for it.

I don't really know what to say about this, as a white, well-off, middle class male. I have opinions, but I'll be told I don't understand. Which is true enough.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Joementum posted:

:perfect:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Litany Unheard posted:

NPR said 2020 for the new bill. I haven't heard 2030 anywhere.

Still too late, since all currency after January 21, 2017 will have Trump on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Combed Thunderclap posted:

This, but for $1 bills and then start minting Sacagaweas again :unsmigghh:

Nah, Barrack Huseein Obama on the $1

• Locked thread