Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
So I went from knowing nothing about HxH to reading all 350 chapters in like a week and a half and... Wooweee. On to the anime/anticipating my first Hiatus so I can be Baptized as a true fan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

the culminator posted:

So I went from knowing nothing about HxH to reading all 350 chapters in like a week and a half and... Wooweee. On to the anime/anticipating my first Hiatus so I can be Baptized as a true fan!

One of us....

Flergatron 3000
May 8, 2008

you look like a fool with those buns!

So the reason for the breaks is poop stuff.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Yeah, after so many shounen stuff where weapons prove to be utterly inefficient against the villain, having the King go out via a bomb was so novel.

Even after Meurem came back the poisoning from the bomb still did him in.

Like, the part where the narrative talks about how cheap and affordable the bomb is... that was really something. Something destructive enough to defeat the most powerful creature that we've seen up until now in the manga... and it can be mass produced by dictators.

Still not enough to deal with the ineffable stuff that comes from the dark continent, though! A creature that is incredibly strong like the king is probably the least dangerous thing there.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 minutes!
The Dark Continent is probably the reason why they made millions of those things.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Tunicate posted:

The Dark Continent is probably the reason why they made millions of those things.

no. they are human beings, they made them to kill each other. The manga was pretty explicit about this.

it's kind of a very important difference between "animals" (which the ants were) and "humans" (which the ants were becoming) and another very good reason the ants needed to die.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

NecroMonster posted:

no. they are human beings, they made them to kill each other. The manga was pretty explicit about this.

it's kind of a very important difference between "animals" (which the ants were) and "humans" (which the ants were becoming) and another very good reason the ants needed to die.

The interesting thing is among the ants we were introduced to the one that stayed most ant-like was Pitou.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I wonder if we're gonna get to see the now-late David Bowie in this run?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm not big into live reaction posting, but just wanna say like three episodes into the Chimera Ant arc and I'm way into this. The Green Island arc was novel, but kinda got to be a real drag for me and Genthru was super super lame and I fell asleep anytime he was onscreen, but I'm into these hosed up bug people and watching them adopt basic human culture.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation

Moltrey posted:

I'm not big into live reaction posting, but just wanna say like three episodes into the Chimera Ant arc and I'm way into this. The Green Island arc was novel, but kinda got to be a real drag for me and Genthru was super super lame and I fell asleep anytime he was onscreen, but I'm into these hosed up bug people and watching them adopt basic human culture.

No, please, continue with the liveposting :allears:

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Tunicate posted:

No, please, continue with the liveposting :allears:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

logger posted:

The interesting thing is among the ants we were introduced to the one that stayed most ant-like was Pitou.

You think that's interesting check this out.

Every one of the revealed "dark continent" monster things either eats, parasitizes, or changes human beings in some way.

The dark continent isn't off limits because it's deadly, it's off limits because of what it's inhabitants could become as a result of interaction with humans.

This expedition is a really god damned loving bad idea holy poo poo.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

NecroMonster posted:

Every one of the revealed "dark continent" monster things either eats, parasitizes, or changes human beings in some way.

The dark continent isn't off limits because it's deadly, it's off limits because of what it's inhabitants could become as a result of interaction with humans.

It's actually a very good idea and nothing can go wrong, look at how prepared everyone is.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

You say that but I'll be the one laughing when the human world is consumed by some sort of horrible dark continent thing that now possesses human intellect.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

NecroMonster posted:

You say that but I'll be the one laughing when the human world is consumed by some sort of horrible dark continent thing that now possesses human intellect.

Well then that thing will be the new human.

The old inefficient model will make way for a newer and stronger human being.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation

NecroMonster posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a huge page spread with just some big-as-gently caress monsters.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

oh, they are powerful.

but without human intelligence they will remain safely far away on the dark continent forever

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
immortal zombie viruses, more NANIKAS running around and people turning into ropes sounds unpleasant

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

You'd think so, but you'd be surprised how quickly you get used to it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wild Horses posted:

immortal zombie viruses, more NANIKAS running around and people turning into ropes sounds unpleasant

Counterpoint: Nanika is hella cute.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Maybe if we could cure all these Nanikas with the power of love, just like Killua did, then they would actually be great additions to society.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

imagine if the nanikas could ask each other for wishes

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

NecroMonster posted:

imagine if the nanikas could ask each other for wishes

I wish H x H would run for a year without a hiatus.

Cost of Wish: 3 billion people

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

NecroMonster posted:

oh, they are powerful.

but without human intelligence they will remain safely far away on the dark continent forever

The human world is tiny and insignificant. I have no idea why anything on the Dark Continent would care about humanity, even if they had human intelligence. All the troubles come from people bringing stuff back, not stuff out there getting curious.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Invasive foreign species. There are no natural predators for anything living in the dark continent in the human lands. But yeah, there is obviously nothing similar to humans there, or else they would have come out to say hello on their own.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So spoilers for the new chapter are leaking and it looks like its confirmed that Chrollo and Hisoka are duking it out at the Heaven's tower. New chapter can't come fast enough and I'll tolerate Mangastream to read it.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

So spoilers for the new chapter are leaking and it looks like its confirmed that Chrollo and Hisoka are duking it out at the Heaven's tower. New chapter can't come fast enough and I'll tolerate Mangastream to read it.

Some juicy poo poo for sure

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Holy poo poo, new chapter is loving crazy. The fight is just as crazy as expected; is he really gonna kill off one of these two?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

pnumoman posted:

Holy poo poo, new chapter is loving crazy. The fight is just as crazy as expected; is he really gonna kill off one of these two?

Well, it is a deathmatch.

But I can't see either of them dying yet.

Kurapika has to kill off the Phantoms, and I don't see Hisoka dying.

It's hella tense cause you don't know how Togashi's gonna end this.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Really interested where this goes, though I kinda would have preferred to get to know the other Princes more.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

e X posted:

Really interested where this goes, though I kinda would have preferred to get to know the other Princes more.

Might be in the crowd, for recruiting

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
chrollo got way uglier

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

http://readms.com/r/hunter_x_hunter/351/3367/1

Why is this happening i feel like we skipped something

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Is Togashi dying?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Just when we think its a clear cut scenario before us he brings in new variables. Also maybe he's thinning the cast

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

what a great chapter

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

2 pages into the chapter :tviv:

Chrollo borrowing Ryodan abilities is super loving cool

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 21, 2016

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Did we know Hisoka's last name before?

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I don't think we did, he was introduced as just Hisoka back when he fought Gon at the arena.

Seconding the :tviv: and :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What's interesting is that Chrollo seems to be using Shalnark's ability.

Did he steal it from Shalnark or did he borrow it to fight Hisoka?