Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

You'll never convince me Lost Izalith isn't the worst level & boss combo in the souls series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Golden Goat posted:

You'll never convince me Lost Izalith isn't the worst level & boss combo in the souls series.

It almost certainly is. The Rotten is not a bad boss at all, if a bit mediocre. I feel like a lot of the bosses in ds2 are mediocre. But I also love it because it has a ton of bosses that are just boring guys that fit on the screen. I'm one of those dudes who hates giant bosses. What I really like about ds2 is how much their is. There is just so much. It really is a great game. I haven't finished it yet, but I feel like ds3 makes it a great trilogy.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Does Frigid outskirts count as a level because that place is awful enough to make it the worst area in souls games for me even if the boss is alright?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

The differences in quality between the Souls games becomes so minute as to be irrelevant once you play something like Lords of the Fallen, or a similar game, Elf Bowling 1 & 2 for the Nintendo DS

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The Rotten's a cool design but a bland boss.

All Souls games are good though. If you play one you should play them all.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

raditts posted:

How did that little pasty fucker calling the other dude a bitch not get beaten into the ground

Because the big dude is gigantic pussy who talks a lot of poo poo but never backs it up. Meanwhile Viscant is someone who's been around the community forever and knows he has the support of most of the crowd there.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FutonForensic posted:

The differences in quality between the Souls games becomes so minute as to be irrelevant once you play something like Lords of the Fallen, or a similar game, Elf Bowling 1 & 2 for the Nintendo DS

Basically, yeah. For any flaws that it has, ds2 is a fun game to play with a variety of builds. It has a huge variety of areas and enemies, and it has a great art style.

Most AAA games cannot say that.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

FanaticalMilk posted:

Because the big dude is gigantic pussy who talks a lot of poo poo but never backs it up. Meanwhile Viscant is someone who's been around the community forever and knows he has the support of most of the crowd there.

Or maybe he has just enough control NOT to beat the poo poo outta a dude over video games?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

The only advice you need: Let the child win the footrace. Also don't romance her, that's gross

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I feel like a would love the souls/bourn games if i sucked less at them. I am bad at the pattern memorization part of the game and the controls always felt tanky to me, which sucks because realy love the art and world building of bloodbourne.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Snak posted:

Basically, yeah. For any flaws that it has, ds2 is a fun game to play with a variety of builds. It has a huge variety of areas and enemies, and it has a great art style.

Most AAA games cannot say that.

I would say that most AAA releases are "fun" in the sense that they are functional, have pretty graphics, and a degree of UI polish that makes them easy for players to get into. But they rarely tend to be polarizing in the same way that more niche titles are so unlike Dick Swirls you'll never find a goon who just can't stop talking about Assassin's Creed. DS isn't the best example though because it's the most AAA of niche, or the nichiest of AAA, however you want to look at it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I feel like a would love the souls/bourn games if i sucked less at them. I am bad at the pattern memorization part of the game and the controls always felt tanky to me, which sucks because realy love the art and world building of bloodbourne.

You can always summon people to progress if you suck at the game too much otherwise. That's why the feature is there.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

raditts posted:

How did that little pasty fucker calling the other dude a bitch not get beaten into the ground

I'm not a fighting game person but I remember when this happened: the pasty guy is actually a retired pro who won a lot of big tournaments and stuff around the y2k era or whatever. So he has some respect and stuff.

The reason they were mad at eachother is because the pasty guy is a volunteer at a rehab clinic or whatever for addicts/alcoholics and the tall guy said he looked like a heroin addict or something, which got him really mad. So he came out of retirement just for that one grudge match or something. The tall guy is a popular twitch personality or whatever who is trying to go pro.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

Or maybe he has just enough control NOT to beat the poo poo outta a dude over video games?

I don't think it has much to do with control. If you watch any other videos of Low Tier God, you'll see he's the kinda guy who will not stop talking poo poo about you over the internet, but will never back it up in real life. He just likes to puff his chest out and the appearance that comes with.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I feel like I would love them if they had map screens and quest markers

I am totally serious, I'm too old for that obtuse poo poo anymore

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I used to say things like that until I actually sat down and tried to finish one and discovered they're not as hard or obtuse as people make out.

Mostly.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

FanaticalMilk posted:

I don't think it has much to do with control. If you watch any other videos of Low Tier God, you'll see he's the kinda guy who will not stop talking poo poo about you over the internet, but will never back it up in real life. He just likes to puff his chest out and the appearance that comes with.
I prefer it to stabbing another dude over a game so yeah he's still okay.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

I would say that most AAA releases are "fun" in the sense that they are functional, have pretty graphics, and a degree of UI polish that makes them easy for players to get into. But they rarely tend to be polarizing in the same way that more niche titles are so unlike Dick Swirls you'll never find a goon who just can't stop talking about Assassin's Creed. DS isn't the best example though because it's the most AAA of niche, or the nichiest of AAA, however you want to look at it.

No doubt. I said that Dark Souls was fun with a variety of builds. Many AAA games have a lot less replay value and more balance issues. I don't have anything against AAA games, but soulsgames are games that I find myself going back to, over and over, because I find the single player gameplay itself to be fun and engaging even after dozens of hours. That's what makes me such a big fan of them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DS2 is good but bloated in a lot f ways (too many bosses, too many stats, too many areas). It would be cool if it was revisited and edited down or something because I love every DLC area but the idea of having to replay the other 70% of the game for the 7th time or whatever to see them kinda turns me off to the idea

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

precision posted:

I feel like I would love them if they had map screens and quest markers

I am totally serious, I'm too old for that obtuse poo poo anymore

The lack of map is one of the most enjoyable things about Dark Souls to me. Trying to piece together the layouts of areas in my head feels super rewarding when you know all the ins and outs of an area. Also, given the way Souls games play out I never felt like I really had to commit a ton of effort to memorizing layouts, it seemed to come naturally as I played through a level. Also, given the way Souls games are laid out, I can't imagine creating a map without it looking like something out of Marathon.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I used to say things like that until I actually sat down and tried to finish one and discovered they're not as hard or obtuse as people make out.

Mostly.

Yeah. Despite what people online would have you think you don't need a FAQ or wiki to beat any of these games. I remember getting demons after reading about "how sense and insane and obtuse this game is!!" and it has a hub world with a Mario style level select screen. Come on people

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The NPC sidequests are about the most obtuse thing in the souls games.

Level layout is usually the least.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sakurazuka posted:

Mostly.

Its mostly I have college papers and poo poo and when i do want to play games, i want to play it for quick fun, rather then for super challange. I'll do it in may i guess. but then again all the games i want drop in may.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Lizard Wizard posted:

Whenever someone says Dark Souls 2 is worse than DS1 I associate them with this video and want to punch them really hard.

"Dark Souls was such a triumph that many of us fell out of love with games because they weren't Dark Souls"

I hate everything about this man's existence.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

June is going to be the worst month for me as a JRPG fan, even if I am taking half of it off work.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

June is going to be the worst month for me as a JRPG fan, even if I am taking half of it off work.

Why?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ometeotl posted:

"Dark Souls was such a triumph that many of us fell out of love with games because they weren't Dark Souls"

I hate everything about this man's existence.

I kinda feel the same way.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

GOTY contender Tokyo Mirage Sesions #FE comes out in June, as does Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Atelier Sophie, Odin Sphere remake, Grand Kingdom and #FE within a couple of weeks of each other and also the third Zero Escape game comes out then too.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I thought Fates came out in Europe a week ago. Or this week or something.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Also Star Ocean 5 on July 1st and I'm a sucker.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

May 20th.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

In Training posted:

May 20. Revelation is June 10 iirc (unless you get the limited edition they printed like 5 copies of)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I stayed away from them for a long time because from what I heard it sounded like they were stupidly hard for the sake of being hard. When I finally started playing dark souls, I realized that it's not really like that at all. If you accept two things:

You are going to die and you should stop associating death with failure.

You have to be willing to learn from your experiences.

If you can accept those two things, they becomes very much "learn at your own pace" action exploration games.

Not everyone can get into that mindset. I tried to get a friend from work into them, and he couldn't ever get past the "I died, this sucks" mentality.

I die all the loving time. I am "not good" at these games. But I have a lot of fun learning to build my character to capitalize on my play style and then learning to change my bad habits that get me killed. I was really bad at stamina management for a lot time. I've gotten a lot better. My biggest problem now is that I roll too soon. So, I suck, last night I got killed by the same non-boss special enemy about 15 times before I beat him. Almost ever death was because I "panicked" and mashed the roll button during his windups, so he had time to adjust his aim and still hit me. I got plenty frustrated, but I took deep breaths, and focused on controlling my instincts to input actions in deliberate manner.

They are games that punish you for being sloppy or careless, but in a way that reminds you to be disciplined and aware of the situation.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Junpei Hyde posted:

May 20. Revelation is June 10 iirc (unless you get the limited edition they printed like 5 copies of)

Well, enjoy. Fates is loving awesome, although I've only completed 1.5 playthroughs (working on Birthright before moving onto Revelation). It's my favorite FE since the GameCube one.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I still think dying in souls games isn't as punishing as people think.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Golden Goat posted:

This.

It's less punishing that a lot of games because in those it's back to the last checkpoint and nothing you've done since then matters. In Souls games all you lose are you souls, which you can get back, and normal enemies reset. All the areas you've explored and items you've found and shortcuts you've discovered remain. It's just that death is generally a lot more frequent than most games.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Golden Goat posted:

Yeah, that's my point. People carry this attitude into it from other games. In most single player games, dying means a return to checkpoint. Everything you did is undone. In soulsgames, all the enemies are respawned, but you keep all the items that you picked up, and you get a chance to recover the souls you had when you died. So where in most games, if a level is hard, you are repeating it until you beat it and all you have to show for it is what you got on you final, successful, run, in soulsgames you can buy your way to a stronger character while working on the part if the game you are stuck on.

Edit: beaten. Slow-rear end phone posting...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

This.

It's less punishing that a lot of games because in those it's back to the last checkpoint and nothing you've done since then matters. In Souls games all you lose are you souls, which you can get back, and normal enemies reset. All the areas you've explored and items you've found and shortcuts you've discovered remain. It's just that death is generally a lot more frequent than most games.
And part of your max health, in DS2.

• Locked thread