Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

haha yes

That was a hell of a page start, here's what we're discussing:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Band practice was cancelled this week, so I built a nice little car for my German officers to zoom around in:

Driver and officer in back seat will be added after painting it.

It's a Tamiya 1:48 Steyr Type 1500A Kommandeurwagen, and it was surprisingly annoying to put together. I've made tons of their 1:48 tanks and armoured cars by now, and loved it, but this one just had a whole bunch of ċarts that were hard to fit properly or that fell apart during construction. Ugh. At least it's a cute car now that it's built.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

lilljonas posted:

I've made tons of their 1:48 tanks and armoured cars by now, and loved it, but this one just had a whole bunch of ċarts that were hard to fit properly or that fell apart during construction.

I like their 1:48 series a lot too, it's what I'm trying to make now when I'm not putting it off until tomorrow constantly. The only thing I've had trouble with of the ones I've got is the shürzen brackets for the Pz.IV G turret which don't really fit properly. (And I'm assuming for the J too) Would be nice if they could provide a solution for the very obvious missing grilles on Pz. III chassis too. Of course the real outstanding problem with the Tamiya 1:48 MM line is no short barrelled Pz.IV yet :v:

Quite interested in getting hold of some of the rather limited AFV Club and Hobby Boss offerings in 1:48. Even if I don't ever finish them :sweatdrop:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Unkempt posted:

whale semen

Did you freehand those signs??

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

bewbies posted:

Did you freehand those signs??

The signs are photoshopped and printed on decal paper. The main tank is an old pill bottle with plastic card supports and hatches from some old tank bits, the bucket and barrel are from a Tamiya jerry cans set and the hose is sprue heated up and wound around a cocktail stick. The whale semen in the bucket is a mix of white paint and glue, because Herman's don't deliver around here.

The actual kit was pretty good too - a bit of flash and for some reason honest to god metal screws holding together big bits but great for the price. A++, would crap again.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

I like their 1:48 series a lot too, it's what I'm trying to make now when I'm not putting it off until tomorrow constantly. The only thing I've had trouble with of the ones I've got is the shürzen brackets for the Pz.IV G turret which don't really fit properly. (And I'm assuming for the J too) Would be nice if they could provide a solution for the very obvious missing grilles on Pz. III chassis too. Of course the real outstanding problem with the Tamiya 1:48 MM line is no short barrelled Pz.IV yet :v:

Quite interested in getting hold of some of the rather limited AFV Club and Hobby Boss offerings in 1:48. Even if I don't ever finish them :sweatdrop:

One of my next couple of tanks has to be the Hobby Boss German captured KV-2 with large turret, because:

- just lol
- it's cheap, and
- it will be amazing to field in wargames against my Soviet opponents.

http://www.model-making.eu/products/Pz.-Kpfw-KV2-754-r-Tank.html

I find 1:48 to be a very chill size for tanks actually. More details than 1:72, takes up less space than 1/35, and they are often quite affordable kits.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I have the 1:48 regular KV-2, and it was a pretty good kit. Interestingly, it already comes with German decals, it's weird that they would re-release it as even more German.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I should make a racecar sponsored by Herman's Whale Semen.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Gewehr 43 posted:

I am happy to report that I wrapped up the build on the Panzer IV Ausf G tonight. I've got all the pictures ready, but still need to write the narrative for the remaining build log posts. The Magic Tracks went together flawlessly and look really great and all in all, I'm super happy with this kit. I'd say Dragon knocked it out of the park with this one, but I've gotta dock them a few points due to their shoddy instructions. Anyway, I'll have the other narrative around within a couple weeks or so.

Get your pictures up you swine I love your stuff.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I don't post much in this thread, but I wanted to contribute with what I am currently working on, even if it is pretty different from what people in here normally work with.

A WIP of the Zoid Gojulas showing off the various points of articulation. I only have the head and torso done; working on the tail right now. It is 1/72 scale and will stand about 33cm or almost 13 inches tall. All snap-fit.

Head in relaxed position:

Head bent back as far as it can go, jaw opened as wide as possible, pilot window opened:

Inside look of the mouth:

Front view of the cockpit. There is a working safety bar in the raised position in front of the chair:

Side view in relaxed position:

Spine raised up as far as it can go. Plates tilted as far as they can go:

Front view in relaxed position:

Torso twisted, guns tilted out as far as possible, power core removed:

Side view with torso leaning as far back as possible. The guns can rotate 360 degrees:

Front view with shoulder and hip sockets pushed out as far as they can go. Torso is also leaning as far as it can go in one direction:

If anyone has requests for a better picture from a different angle or anything, let me know.

e: Fixed duplicate pic under "raised spine" caption

Kibner fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 20, 2016

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Kibner posted:

I don't post much in this thread, but I wanted to contribute with what I am currently working on, even if it is pretty different from what people in here normally work with.

If there's any thread on this forums where robot dinosaurs aren't welcome, I don't wanna be a part of it! ...until E/N gets a robot dinosaur survivor support thread at least.

I've not tried anything from Kotobukiya before, how do you think it compares to stuff like Bandai's snap-fit kits?

Kibner posted:

Head bent back as far as it can go, jaw opened as wide as possible, pilot window opened:

I had to look that up on Youtube just to see what kind of crazy anime roar that thing makes.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
A bit of spraypaint and a few decals from the spares box makes a bicycle bell a whole lot more interesting!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

RillAkBea posted:

I've not tried anything from Kotobukiya before, how do you think it compares to stuff like Bandai's snap-fit kits?

This is my first Kotobukya kit, but I like it a lot. It uses a different plastic for some of the parts (the piston rods, mainly) that is much softer than Bandai stuff. It has a little bit more mold lines, too. No flash and parts seem to have a tighter fit. Instructions are a tiny bit worse, but miles better than a lot of the stuff that's posted in here.

Overall, almost to the level of Bandai. Falls just ever so short.

I'm rather slow building this thing because of the ridiculous number of parts, so those pictures are about three months of sporadic work for me. Probably about 100 hours. After I finish it in another three or four months, I'll pick up the scorpion kit next.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

If there's any thread on this forums where robot dinosaurs aren't welcome, I don't wanna be a part of it! ...until E/N gets a robot dinosaur survivor support thread at least.

I had to look that up on Youtube just to see what kind of crazy anime roar that thing makes.

Kotobukiya's Snap-Fits are just like Bandai's, polycaps and all, though they do tend to be more expensive than Bandai kits. Speaking of, if we're cross-posting Zoid kits I recently made one too.

This is the Liger Zero. Or at least, the basic frame sans its default armor. It uses interchangeable armor/weapon sets, of which I bought the Panzer version. You can get them as a standalone kit with the basic unarmored Liger Zero body(which I did) or you can get the three CAS Armor sets individually to swap onto a Liger Zero kit.

For scale compared to an HG 1/44 Gundam kit;

Giddiyup!

And once the Panzer CAS armor's actually mounted, it looks like this;

MORE DAKKA! :orks101:

The Liger Zero's are some of the more expensive HMM 1/72 Zoid Kits, and the difference shows. The lower-price ones are similar to HG-quality Gundam kits (basic colour separation, polycaps mixed with plastic friction joints), but the upper-tier ones like the Liger Zero and Gojulas get their money's worth out of their higher price point with polycaps in every joint and an amazing degree of detail. This thing had runners going all the way up to Z and insane amounts of part separation. Just as an example; each leg is made up of about 20-30 individual pieces, and that's before mounting the Panzer Armor bits.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man, I remember back in highschool I knew a girl obsessed with those big robo dino kit things. Had a room full of them.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Kotobukiya stuff is more expensive than Bandai's as a rule because they don't own their own factories and have to rent ones out from China.

If you're wondering, I think Bandai only gets to own its own factories because of silly legal shenanigans.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Cool, i rememer me and my big brother having a couple of zoid kits when I was small, the ones you could wind up and they would walk. I had no idea those still existed.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

lilljonas posted:

Cool, i rememer me and my big brother having a couple of zoid kits when I was small, the ones you could wind up and they would walk. I had no idea those still existed.

There are some really cool ones. Expensive as hell, though. http://www.gundamplanet.com/zoids-highend-master-models.html?cat=4&cus_grade=185&manufacturer=166

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Ok Zoid chat has brought up some memories. As a child I had a couple of the animal type ones, but my favourites were big stompy mecha robot type things, but I can't find them listed on any of the zoid sites.

One was a big tall blue dude with a sword, the other a hunched over black thing with wolverine esque claws. They were on sprues and assembled the same way as the animal zoids (with those round rubber cap things) but according to the internet they didn't exist.

What were they? :(

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

TTerrible posted:

Ok Zoid chat has brought up some memories. As a child I had a couple of the animal type ones, but my favourites were big stompy mecha robot type things, but I can't find them listed on any of the zoid sites.

One was a big tall blue dude with a sword, the other a hunched over black thing with wolverine esque claws. They were on sprues and assembled the same way as the animal zoids (with those round rubber cap things) but according to the internet they didn't exist.

What were they? :(

I see these two modern kits that are not exactly what you describe, but may be in the same style: http://www.gundamplanet.com/zoids-highend-master-models.html?cat=4&cus_grade=182&manufacturer=166

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Kibner posted:

I see these two modern kits that are not exactly what you describe, but may be in the same style: http://www.gundamplanet.com/zoids-highend-master-models.html?cat=4&cus_grade=182&manufacturer=166

Aha!

This is the blue dude: http://www.gundamplanet.com/hmm-zoids-z-a03-type-k-z-knight.html but he was nowhere near that quality. Z-Knights is the brand I was looking for. Thankyou!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

TTerrible posted:

Aha!

This is the blue dude: http://www.gundamplanet.com/hmm-zoids-z-a03-type-k-z-knight.html but he was nowhere near that quality. Z-Knights is the brand I was looking for. Thankyou!

No problem. I found this article has a good picture of the old ones: http://titansterrorstoys.blogspot.com/2014/10/kotobukiya-updates-tomys-z-knights.html

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
That has both of them! The black one on the right in the first picture and the original K-type on the left of the comparison picture.

Ah memories. No idea what ever happened to them.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Really dumb question.

When you use Dymo tape as a scribing guide, do you use the old school thick stuff from the labelers where you had to rotate a dial and squeeze a trigger for each label, or the stuff that you use for more modern thermal printers?

My guess is the former, since the latter is super crazy thin.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

MJP posted:

My guess is the former, since the latter is super crazy thin.

Your guess is correct. Now go scribe!

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Holy poo poo! I'm very excited what 3D printing will do to the hobby.

Yes, those are 1/72 Steyr rifles made by Reedoak. The guy 3D scans himself and his friends, then prints them in scales 1/24 to 1/87. Check it out, some real awesome poo poo.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
3D printing is the future of this hobby IMO. I don't see most big kit makers lasting past the next decade.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

George Zimmer posted:

3D printing is the future of this hobby IMO. I don't see most big kit makers lasting past the next decade.

Will be interesting to see how the tech develops and comes down in price, but I'm not holding my breath. Until you can get an affordable home 3d printer that can print at a detail comparable to modern injection molding though it's not going to change too much. Getting someone like shapeways to print you something using the latest tech is always going to be more expensive than mass produced injection molded kits, and even the top of line 3d printed stuff is still grainy poo poo compared to good modern injection molding. 3d printing is great for prototyping but not for mass production.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I can see 3D printing putting resin and metal casting out to pasture, or at least increasing the range of weird detail options you can get. I'd love to get stuff like 1/72 Fantasmagoria pods or whatever.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Also, the fun in building models is you know... building them. The people that enjoy building things in a computer program and printing them out are not the same people that enjoy building thing with their hands (or at least not all of them enjoy both things).

I certainly see 3D printing having an ever larger impact on the hobby, as parts that were too difficult to make become easy to print, but I don't see printing ever replacing sitting down at your hobby bench and gluing stuff together (or cutting/sanding it in my case first) to make something with your own hands.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I stumbled onto this video today, from Vallejo, explaining the entire process of painting a tank with an airbrush. I found it to be very helpful and inspiring. Even though I had kind of understood what all these techniques are, it's just very nice to be able to see them used and shown in a slow, methodical fashion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGPH1BM4e_Q&t=1153s

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

lilljonas posted:

I stumbled onto this video today, from Vallejo, explaining the entire process of painting a tank with an airbrush. I found it to be very helpful and inspiring. Even though I had kind of understood what all these techniques are, it's just very nice to be able to see them used and shown in a slow, methodical fashion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGPH1BM4e_Q&t=1153s

"Desconchones" sounds like some kind of insult, and is my new favorite word.

makka-setan posted:

Your guess is correct. Now go scribe!

Am I breaking some kind of cardinal modeling sin by just scribing some lines and letting the rest be raised lines? I'm really not looking forward to rescribing stuff but I'm the kind of guy that has more fun building and painting, and not so much in rivet counting.

Ask me about how I'm going to do the raised rivet details on this F-106

I'm not going to do them

Edit: actually, this seems like it's not a bad thing... http://www.amazon.com/Trumpeter-TSM-9910-Rivet-Maker/dp/B001JJZ2FE?ie=UTF8&keywords=tamiya%20scriber&qid=1461267514&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

Would I just run it along Dymo tape like a scriber? Because if it's just a matter of rolling this fucker, that's not awful. I thought it'd be a matter of punch a rivet, move on to the next one, repeat.

MJP fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 21, 2016

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

The Locator posted:

Also, the fun in building models is you know... building them. The people that enjoy building things in a computer program and printing them out are not the same people that enjoy building thing with their hands (or at least not all of them enjoy both things).

I certainly see 3D printing having an ever larger impact on the hobby, as parts that were too difficult to make become easy to print, but I don't see printing ever replacing sitting down at your hobby bench and gluing stuff together (or cutting/sanding it in my case first) to make something with your own hands.

Presumably you would print out the individual pieces and then go glue them together. Nothing much changes that way, except you don't have to deal with the problems that come about from worn injection moulds.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Antifreeze Head posted:

Presumably you would print out the individual pieces and then go glue them together. Nothing much changes that way, except you don't have to deal with the problems that come about from worn injection moulds.

Now you have to etch all your own panel lines, deal with mis-calibrated encoders, clean up the stripeyness of the parts, and source decals from somewhere.

Also, call me when they're printing clear plastic.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Jonny Nox posted:

Now you have to etch all your own panel lines, deal with mis-calibrated encoders, clean up the stripeyness of the parts, and source decals from somewhere.

Also, call me when they're printing clear plastic.

What's your number?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
E: Doublepost

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

403-5 ... oh poo poo it's a trap!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
3D printing has completely taken over the toy industry. Virtually no company sculpts their masters anymore for toys, everything is sculpted digitally and then prototypes and final masters are 3D printed.

It's also making big inroads into the garage kit industry too. Sculptors that are just getting into the scene are increasingly going with digital sculpting, and then 3D printing out their master that they can cast copies from. Even though a high-quality 3D master can be $2000 plus, it still cheaper than worrying about physical supplies for sculpting and casting, not to mention a master copy that was cast from resin doesn't last very long, so you have to keep casting masters off your original sculpt to keep the product available. 3D printed masters are far more durable and will last five to ten times longer than a resin master.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

3D printing has completely taken over the toy industry. Virtually no company sculpts their masters anymore for toys, everything is sculpted digitally and then prototypes and final masters are 3D printed.

It's also making big inroads into the garage kit industry too. Sculptors that are just getting into the scene are increasingly going with digital sculpting, and then 3D printing out their master that they can cast copies from. Even though a high-quality 3D master can be $2000 plus, it still cheaper than worrying about physical supplies for sculpting and casting, not to mention a master copy that was cast from resin doesn't last very long, so you have to keep casting masters off your original sculpt to keep the product available. 3D printed masters are far more durable and will last five to ten times longer than a resin master.

This is completely different from the "print your models at home" future people are discussing, though. Digital modelling has been great for most of the wargames I play, so I'm pretty glad it's a thing, but we're still a long way from cost-effectively printing out a 1:35 tank sprue in my living room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Does liquid cement (like tamiya extra-thin) actually work with the plastics used in printing? IIRC most of them use acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (the stuff that legos are made of) instead of polystyrene.