Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The greatest invasion I've done. I love this stupid game

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6gC08c6Y8uY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Feenix posted:

So up on that big wall above Farron Keep, is that big ogre's shtick basically that he grabs you and throws you off the ledge and you die and your souls are nowhere to be found?

Because FUUUUUUUUUCK him.

He sure does like to eat you and throw you across the loving map, but your souls should still exist somewhere.

Dark Souls usually reverses time a few seconds when it puts your souls down, so if you jump down a cliff and roll off the bottom, it doesn't put your souls on the bottom, it puts them where you jumped from, which is very nice or otherwise it would gently caress you over sometimes.

This can catch you unawares if you were moving really fast when you died, your corpse could be like 40 feet from where you died. Try to think back and run around, hopefully they're just in a corner somewhere? That or it bugged out.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

NGDBSS posted:

That's...not making things better by much, and regardless the second phase has the same issue to some degree.

First phase:

He's only got like... 5? moves that involve flying, and only 2/3 of them involve moving.

1)Roars, then goes straight up and breathes fire down. If you're in front of his head you have plenty of warning to back off. Don't need to look at him
2)I dunno the tell but he goes backwards and does the air wall. Again you shouldn't have difficulty following this. Dodge through the third wave.
3)Swoops forwards a short distance, but doesn't immediately attack. Once he lands he'll often follow it up with a spear attack, but those have lots of wind up so you should be able to react. Just turn around to follow it.
4)Lunges forwards a short distance with a spear thrust. There is a tell, but I'm not sure what it is. Roll towards him, I think? and you'll be fine.

5)This is the tricky one. He takes off to his right/your left, and starts circling around while prepping a sunlight spear, then he does a dive swoop, then lands. It's always the same direction and distance and motion. You can remain stationary and just follow him with the camera, the dodge at the right time. When he lands he's got a lot of downtime for you to run up and hit the dragon head. Make sure you're close enough!

Second phase... I'm not 100% on it. But he always does the same sort of motions, so eventually you'll learn the moves and what to expect.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Zaphod42 posted:

He sure does like to eat you and throw you across the loving map, but your souls should still exist somewhere.

Dark Souls usually reverses time a few seconds when it puts your souls down, so if you jump down a cliff and roll off the bottom, it doesn't put your souls on the bottom, it puts them where you jumped from, which is very nice or otherwise it would gently caress you over sometimes.

This can catch you unawares if you were moving really fast when you died, your corpse could be like 40 feet from where you died. Try to think back and run around, hopefully they're just in a corner somewhere? That or it bugged out.

Yeah no I know how it likes to do things. I'm saying... they were gone.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Feenix posted:

So up on that big wall above Farron Keep, is that big ogre's shtick basically that he grabs you and throws you off the ledge and you die and your souls are nowhere to be found?

Because FUUUUUUUUUCK him.

I don't know about losing your souls - they should be on the ledge near where you died. But basically, yes.

The thing you want is to plant yourself between his legs and just whack away until he tries to butt slam you, roll out of the way of that because holy crap does it ever hurt, and then repeat. The grab has a habit of catching you at the worst possible moment (like right before you kill him) but it's much, much easier to avoid if you're right under him. In hindsight it's a lot like the Cleric Beast fight from Bloodborne.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 20, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Feenix posted:

Yeah no I know how it likes to do things. I'm saying... they were gone.

Then its bugged and that sucks. :shrug: I've definitely died to him and recovered my souls so no its not just like, his thing or whatever.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

WaltherFeng posted:

Like a dream

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

WaltherFeng posted:

:perfect:

Orv
May 4, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

Art.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Well I finally hit a difficult boss. loving Champion Gyndyr, I can get him to 10 - 30 % health every time but eventually one of those gently caress you you're dead stun combos get me. I also don't understand how to dodge the 2 phase charge that he does, I always get hit by either the thrust or the huge spin depending on how late or early I dodge.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Enemies scale with your level? Well I never

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

WaltherFeng posted:

This is beautiful.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What do you have to do to get the shady guy to give you the key to the darkwraith? I used all the cracked orbs and even got a pale tongue but he just tells me to go pillage embers.

I just want the key so I can then kill him and steal his stupid hat.

WaltherFeng posted:

:cripes:

VVV Like I said, I have a pale tongue

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 20, 2016

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

What do you have to do to get the shady guy to give you the key to the darkwraith? I used all the cracked orbs and even got a pale tongue but he just tells me to go pillage embers.

I just want the key so I can then kill him and steal his stupid hat.

:cripes:
Get yourself a Pale Tongue. If you're out of Cracked Red Eye Orbs then there are a few as treasure in the Cathedral or Undead Settlement.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

you also need to light the cliffside bonfire or kill the cursewood afaik

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007
Man I really really want the warden twinblades to be good, but they just aren't. They're too slow and do gently caress-all damage. Seems like the only good choice in this game is straight swords...

sexual Norm
Aug 23, 2007

It's like shaking hands with a professional armwrestler.

DeathSandwich posted:

I've not been real happy with my lowbie luck build guy. I was trying to see how effective you could be starting as a thief, using the bandit's knife and ignoring str/dex for luck entirely.

Turns out: Not very. It's like the worst parts of starting as a caster (raw/flame infusions required, bad damage and ho-hum weapon choice in general) with none of the upsides (namely the utility of having juiced up spells). Bleed has the same problem it had back in Dark Souls 1 insofar as it's decent for bosses and pvp, but you're better off having a big boy weapon for chaff enemies so you can just kill them in 2 hits. It's going to be a giant chore to get to the profaned coal to get both bleed and hollow infusions, and I'm reckoning I'm going to need one of each to switch between depending on the circumstances.

I did this, and you're still going to have to invest in dex or str regardless, so you should just build a strength / quality / dex character and then switch when it goes late. Hollow only slightly reduces a weapon's regular scaling, but it only scales like 1 point of damage per point in luck.

So the upshot is you'll do ~45 more damage with a hollow weapon, proc bleed more quickly and get lots of curse, frost, bleed and poison resistance, which makes a lot of in-game areas more tolerable.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
this thread talked up nameless king way too much. got him on 2nd try, the timing of the thunderbolts rly got me the first time. and i dont understand camera complaints?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

El Golden Goose posted:

Man I really really want the warden twinblades to be good, but they just aren't. They're too slow and do gently caress-all damage. Seems like the only good choice in this game is straight swords...

See my previous post about twinblades with the pontiff's eye rings and carthus' beacon and enchantment. They can be pretty good just takes some work to make the build.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mr Dog posted:

Try critical battle
and then
illusory wall ahead

As for what's after the illusory wall, well, it's the one thing that was spoiled for me in DS3 and of course it's the one thing I wish I hadn't got spoiled on

of all the things i'm glad weren't spoiled for me top two were the boss of the peak and the final boss.

some turd spoiled what irithyll actually is though (more they said a location is in the game and i figured it out immediately upon getting to irithyll).

lost my retainer
Oct 28, 2002

Blow me
Just finished my first run, what an amazing game. Last boss was a pushover using a certain shield I facetanked both phases using Havel's great shield art that turns you into stone. You're even immune to damage while transforming. He went down like a chump.

Now I'm torn between NG+ or a new pyro run.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'm going to make a straight caster. How much pain will I be in?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

this thread talked up nameless king way too much. got him on 2nd try, the timing of the thunderbolts rly got me the first time. and i dont understand camera complaints?

people were locking on during phase 1.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

phase 1 and lock-on will ruin any hope of having a good camera

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

El Golden Goose posted:

Twinblades sucked in DS2 as well except for a specific one in poison builds

Also lolno straight sword is outshined by a lot of stuff

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

El Golden Goose posted:

I've seen a ton of people using or complaining about rapiers, katanas, ultra greatswords, and halberds/non-spear polearms so maybe try one of those other four weapon categories?

There are a lot of good weapons in this game and the infusion system is the best one in the series in terms of infusions having actual niches and allowing for build diversity

EDIT: there's also a bunch of other paired twin weapons many of which are notably good or fun (just don't use the dancer scimitars)

Baku fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 20, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Never lock on when fighting a dragon in a Souls game. Never ever ever.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
....What the gently caress is wrong with Irithyll and furthermore, what the gently caress caused it
:stare:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

WaltherFeng posted:

l love that rather than just fight the boss and send you back to your world, all three of them decided it was a better idea to leap to their deaths. they were literally standing in front of the fog wall!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Cant find it now, but a few pages back some people were talking about a secret area in the game with some relation to the Painted World in DS1. I seem to recall getting there involves jumping off a cliff which you would never think to do unless you specifically knew it was there, and I can't find any information on the lists of secret areas online. Anyone know what I'm talking about or was somebody just making stuff up? I'm at the last boss and want to see all the optional stuff in the game before finishing it for the first time.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

HnK416 posted:

....What the gently caress is wrong with Irithyll and furthermore, what the gently caress caused it

The nature of Lothric is murky, unclear.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

El Golden Goose posted:

Have you infused them? Pretty much every weapon that can be infused should be to get the most out of its scaling.

Weapon balance isn't perfect but Monday's patch helped a lot. Greatswords and ultras are good now. Halberds are good, as are a couple spears. Most thrusting swords are good. Lots of the dual weapons own, especially the Drang Hammers and the Gotthard Twinswords (to be fair those are straight swords). Great hammers are good. Axes of all kinds own.

Infusion saves some weapons, too. The Astora Greatsword goes from mediocre to wonderful when you make it Refined for example.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Cant find it now, but a few pages back some people were talking about a secret area in the game with some relation to the Painted World in DS1. I seem to recall getting there involves jumping off a cliff which you would never think to do unless you specifically knew it was there, and I can't find any information on the lists of secret areas online. Anyone know what I'm talking about or was somebody just making stuff up? I'm at the last boss and want to see all the optional stuff in the game before finishing it for the first time.

You ever see Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade? Remember the thing right before he got to the holy grail?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I thiiiiiink they were talking about the Darkmoon Covenant

you have to take an invisible path from the rotating staircase in Anor Londo which leads to where the building containing the painting was in DS1

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

HnK416 posted:

The second boss fight makes this all too clear. :)

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

You know the big moving bridge/elevator in Anor Londo? When it's raised up, walk to the path that leads to a drop. You should see a tower belonging to a church there. Walk on the invisible bridge until you drop right next to a bonfire. It's a really small optional area, and you don't get some super-cool stuff out of it outside of lore, tbh.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 376 days!

Oxxidation posted:

All I can say for certain about the Greirat quest is he comes back safe from Irithyll if you defeat Pontiff Sulyvahn after completing Siegward's quest up to the kitchen.

I wouldn't trust Patches to save him because it's loving PATCHES.

I told Patches where he was without having found Siegward in the well, and Greirat still came back ok.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Sorry if this has been posted

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/20/dark-souls-board-game-funded-in-three-minutes

First souls game and enjoying the solitary journey so :tipshat: and good day

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Harrow posted:

Never lock on when fighting a dragon in a Souls game. Never ever ever.

You do when you're trying to Sunlight Spear it right in the head. Sometimes I can land several in a row and sometimes they all miss. This is the last boss for me! Just die!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
The onion man and I just killed a giant fire tree lookin' thing? He told me I should have waited instead of trying to attack him. Did I gently caress it up? :(