Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Drunk Nerds posted:

So, uh, here's a zany question:
I usually don't use a carboy, but I'm using one now to clear up my primary for another brew (and to dry hop)
I want to purge the O2 from the carboy, but I don't have any tanks or anything.
Can I just run a tube down to the bottom of the Carboy, sit it next to me on the couch, then every time I breathe out I do it into the tube?

You dont breathe out pure CO2 and all you will be doing is filling your carboy wiht your lung and mouth funk. Might as well just spit in the carboy 100 times and rack it over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Drunk Nerds posted:

So, uh, here's a zany question:
I usually don't use a carboy, but I'm using one now to clear up my primary for another brew (and to dry hop)
I want to purge the O2 from the carboy, but I don't have any tanks or anything.
Can I just run a tube down to the bottom of the Carboy, sit it next to me on the couch, then every time I breathe out I do it into the tube?

The air you exhale is not that different from the air you inhale. It just has higher CO2 and lower O2. It's still about 70% Nitrogen and I think something like 16% O2 vs the usual 21%. If it were straight CO2, the whole breathe into a paper bag thing would asphyxiate you immediately.

Unless you plan on leaving it in a carboy for a LONG time, purging isn't all that necessary. It would be a bigger concern if you were transporting it and it was sloshing around and forcing the gas in the headspace into your beer, but assuming your carboy is stationary, it's just sitting above it, not mixing with your beer.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You dont breathe out pure CO2 and all you will be doing is filling your carboy wiht your lung and mouth funk. Might as well just spit in the carboy 100 times and rack it over.
Sounds like something to do when making a beard beer.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

nmfree posted:

Sounds like something to do when making a beard beer.

Or making chicha...

dogfish head posted:

His favorite was the most traditional of the lot which naturally involved the salivation of corn to convert the starch into fermentable sugar. This activity needed to be planned and coordinated here in Delaware. Sam wanted to use more salivated corn than last year when it took 6 people all day to chew through seven pounds of Peruvian blue corn. Now, chicha is traditionally a group effort involving most of the community and what better way to celebrate this tradition than to get the whole Delaware Dogfish family in on the action. Coworkers from the pub and Milton brewery would spend the day before the brew chewing and spitting and working. We got through 35 pounds of blue corn from Peru and 7 pounds of locally sourced yellow corn which would literally and symbolically bring Dogfish together in one glass. Thanks to all who donated saliva and endured the resultant sore jaws! We couldn't have done it without you. (BTW, Milton has sweeter breath than Rehoboth... the proof was in the pails.)

:barf:

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

That moment you realize that your ex-partner won first place in the National Homebrew Competition with a beer that you brewed and was your recipe and they didn't even give you credit. :barf:

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Speaking of purging gasses, I'm kinda keen on trying out Argon. I used to weld TIG, and Argon is not only inert, but significantly heavier than CO2 (it blankets and displaces better). I never priced the refills though, so that's probably a big factor.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Thanks all for the purge advice. I'm not going to worry about oxygen, as I don't anticipate a secondary longer than a couple weeks

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Drunk Nerds posted:

Thanks all for the purge advice. I'm not going to worry about oxygen, as I don't anticipate a secondary longer than a couple weeks

Even a couple months is fine.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

robotsinmyhead posted:

Speaking of purging gasses, I'm kinda keen on trying out Argon. I used to weld TIG, and Argon is not only inert, but significantly heavier than CO2 (it blankets and displaces better). I never priced the refills though, so that's probably a big factor.

They are around 35-40 for a refill. I know this since I refill my buddies all the loving time.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

hellfaucet posted:

That moment you realize that your ex-partner won first place in the National Homebrew Competition with a beer that you brewed and was your recipe and they didn't even give you credit. :barf:

Wait, so this person just sent a bottle of your homebrew into a competition with their name on it?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Glottis posted:

Wait, so this person just sent a bottle of your homebrew into a competition with their name on it?

Sounds like they brewed the beer themselves, but used the recipe.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

nullfunction posted:

Or making chicha...

:barf:

I have actually made Chicha this way. It is pretty good!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So do I order a wort chiller from some internet shop (which apparently are all in stainless steal in this country for some reason), or just go to the hardware store and buy some coiled copper tubing and make my own? If I do my own, what diameter should I get, like 10mm? And how thick should the walls be? And how long would I need to chill a 15ish liter kettle (maybe 10 meters?)

I can apparently get 10mm diameter copper tubing coils for 3,95 €/meter, with 1 mm thick walls. And I assume the tubing is going to be malleable enough that I can bend it without the use of any tools or heating it up.

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 21, 2016

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
You'll need a tubing bender to bend it without kinking. They're pretty cheap (and if your hardware store is like mine, you can return it after using it)

Edit: one of these http://m.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Tube-B...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

You don't even need a bender. I used this video and it worked perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8xRGYnwEt8

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Edit: I bought a bender and didn't use it. Wrapping around a paint can worked great for me, though I have a tall and narrow brewpot so ymmv.

Drunk Nerds posted:

I've purged using a Soda Stream. If you've got one, it'll do in a pinch!

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 21, 2016

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
There's some bending methods that don't use a bender, like filling the tubing with sand and wrapping it around a bucket.

I think it's doable with copper, but stainless coils - gently caress that. Stainless is hard and it cracks easily. I had it in my mind to make my own jockey box a couple years ago and after some research realized it was about a 50-50 chance of actually working, so I paid the extra $whatever to have it pre-coiled.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Get copper and bend it yourself, it's doable without any special tools. Make sure to have a bend at the top where the tubing connects so that any leakage will drip away from the pot.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games

ChickenArise posted:

How does it smell? You can get lucky with US-05, although it definitely doesn't like those temps usually. Get it down to 65 if you can. What style? I can't imagine more yeast is the answer. I suppose you could pitch brett if it's full of off-flavors and hope, but I wouldn't make that call yet.

Thanks. I guess I'll just wait and see. :shrug:

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Somewhere on internets, I've seen someone build a wort chiller by wrapping the copper around a soda keg. Seemed like a reasonable way of bending and getting the coil to bend correctly.

How much are you planning on making the wort chiller? By the time I priced things out (especially the copper pipe), I found it was cheaper to buy mine on Amazon.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'm going to try my first cold crash/gelatin attempt this weekend. Here is my plan, put fermenter in refridgerator the day before. Measure out the correct amount of gelatin, heat it up gently until it hits about 150 F. Then pop open my fermenter and funnel in the gelatin water mix. Stir it up and let it sit in the fridge for another day and then move onto bottling. Does that sound correct or am I missing something?

Also is Brew Your Own worth subscribing to? Or is there better info out there online?

Der Penguingott
Dec 27, 2002

i'm a k1ck3n r4d d00d
I made my wort chiller out of 1/2" copper tubing, 50'. Wrapped it around a keg to do it. I have been originally making a herms coil but gave up on that.

There is a huge cost difference between a 3/8" 25' chiller and a 1/2" 50' chiller. For some reason the pre-made smaller chillers are priced a lot closer to the materials cost. It is a good deal to make the larger chiller yourself and not hard.

If you do 5g batches the larger chiller is totally overkill, but is nice for larger batches. 10g chills in about 20min with my chiller.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

LaserWash posted:

Somewhere on internets, I've seen someone build a wort chiller by wrapping the copper around a soda keg. Seemed like a reasonable way of bending and getting the coil to bend correctly.

How much are you planning on making the wort chiller? By the time I priced things out (especially the copper pipe), I found it was cheaper to buy mine on Amazon.

Looking around, they run between 50 and 65 euros, and those are without the hoses / faucet fittings. Meantime I can get the same thing (just tubing) for 40. So it works out to be a bit cheaper to make it yourself, and at least then I have the satisfaction of knowing that my fittings are all correct.

ronaldreagan
Mar 25, 2005
When I made my wort chiller, I was too lazy to connect any fittings to hook it up to a faucet so I just used some of my standard tubing to connect it up to my bottling bucket. I put that up on a high shelf, fill with ice water and let gravity do the work. It wasn't meant to be a permanent solution but it works well enough that I don't see any reason to change it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I have one that I can hook up to a hose faucet. It was about the same price as buying one in the end, but I felt better about building it.

Now I'm either going to upgrade it or buy a plate chiller on craigslist. Granted, then I would also have to buy a pump, but "eh" :homebrew:

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Are you guys using plate/counterflow chillers satisfied with them? I have a plate chiller but I used it once and went right back to my IC because it's so much easier to use and clean.

Der Penguingott
Dec 27, 2002

i'm a k1ck3n r4d d00d
I've used both...

I had an inexpensive shirron plate chiller.

Used it for about 25-30 batches and got sick of clogging it and cleaning it. It chilled fine, but wasn't worth the hassle and beer tastes better with hops free in the boil and not bagged.

I made a counterflow chiller, worked kinda sorta well. The flow through it wasn't as fast as I'd like, and it seemed like it was taking longer to chill.

The immersion chiller is simpler and works better, and after boiling it for a few minutes it's pretty safe infection wise. Best part is the free hops in boil will never clog it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Der Penguingott posted:

I've used both...

I had an inexpensive shirron plate chiller.

Used it for about 25-30 batches and got sick of clogging it and cleaning it. It chilled fine, but wasn't worth the hassle and beer tastes better with hops free in the boil and not bagged.

I made a counterflow chiller, worked kinda sorta well. The flow through it wasn't as fast as I'd like, and it seemed like it was taking longer to chill.

The immersion chiller is simpler and works better, and after boiling it for a few minutes it's pretty safe infection wise. Best part is the free hops in boil will never clog it.

I have essentially a second mash screen in my boil kettle to catch the free hops and whirlpooling seems to keep most everything out of my finished product, but I still get protein and some sludge underneath that screen. Was it the leaves that were clogging it for you or was it the sludge and such?

i guess I don't want to end up dropping too much money on something I'm not going to like using.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
I've used both plate and counterflow chillers. I'm back to an immersion chiller.

The plate chiller plugged up and caused me no end of grief. The counterflow never got me very good temperatures unless I ran the water wide open and the wort at a bare trickle. Both very disappointing.

Der Penguingott
Dec 27, 2002

i'm a k1ck3n r4d d00d
Leaf hops, pellet hops, trub and cold break will all clog the chiller. Back flushing the chiller will get most of the crap out, but I'm sure it was never really clean.

Trub and hops are sorta easy to filter but I found that the cold break wasn't.

I found it too hard to get the pitch temperature correct on a single pass and I wanted to be able to whirlpool. The cold break from whirlpooling *really* clogs the chiller.

If you filter/bag hops and chill in a single pass, a plate chiller is probably fine. I imagine one of the big chillers from duda diesel or the blichman one would be better than the one I tried. They do use less water, if that's a concern for you. I just cant see a reason for me to use it over a 40$ dyi immersion chiller.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
The best chiller I've ever used is a HERMS coil in a HLT.

Typically we are low on HLT levels post-sparge, so the water line is below the bottom of the coil. While we're doing the flameout addition, we start circulating wort from the kettle through the coil to sanitize it and the hoses, making sure we stay above about 175 (though typically we don't drop anywhere near that far during the whirlpool add). Once it's time to start chilling, we fill the HLT with hose water and use the thermal energy from the kettle to heat that water for cleaning. We transfer that off to the mash tun or buckets for holding until cleanup, and refill with hose water and a bag or two of ice. That's usually enough to get us to pitching temperatures, and takes no more than about 20 minutes to chill 11 gallons.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I use an immersion chiller on hose water for about 10 minutes to get 6 gallons down to about 100F and then I switch to a pond pump and a bucket of ice water for another 10 min to get down to 70. I'm recirculating the wort with a pump during the whole process. Works pretty well.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
The water isn't an issue. It ends up washing my car and watering my plants. It's more that I need to redo the fixtures on my chiller because I built it for use elsewhere in my house and with a different smaller kettle. And now it's not working as well as I wish now that I'm outdoors and in a 10.5 gallon kettle. It's easy enough to change the fittings, but someone's selling a plate chiller on craigslist for $60 and I was contemplating. I suppose if I were filtering it I would spring, but if it's going to be a hassle I'll just buy new fittings and Quick-Disconnects for my immersion chiller and call it a day. I may just widen the loops to get better coverage on the wort, too.

I'm going to be doing a Swedish spin on a Gose because it's apparently the best beer my wife have ever tasted and Dugges + Stillwater only did one batch. Do most people give their lacto a head start? I wanted to use Omega's Lacto blend so I don't have to mess with L. Delbruckei and could just do it in the 70s, but I don't really want to spend $30 on shipping still. So instead I'm using probiotic capsules that contain L. Plantarum. And I'll make a starter first. I'll probably just use 1056 for the clean part as she seems to not prefer much from the yeast if anything.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

rockcity posted:

I use an immersion chiller on hose water for about 10 minutes to get 6 gallons down to about 100F and then I switch to a pond pump and a bucket of ice water for another 10 min to get down to 70. I'm recirculating the wort with a pump during the whole process. Works pretty well.
This is similar to how I do it, except I don't recirculate the wort and my chiller is 25' of 1/4" ID copper so it takes me more than an hour to get 6 gallons cooled to 68°F.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Planning to do this SMASH soon.
Anything wrong with it? I'm wondering about using 1318 and making a starter but I have no stir plate and can't be arsed to think about this currently as its only my second brew.
Could I dump the extract and yeast in a plastic bottle two days before brewing and manual agitate every so often?
More importantly will using a liquid yeast really improve the final product? Otherwise I'm just going for dry yeast

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 24.64 l
Post Boil Volume: 21.84 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 l
Bottling Volume: 19.20 l
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 10.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 32.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.50 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 100.0 %
25.00 g Goldings, East Kent [6.50 %] - Boil 60.0 Hop 2 19.4 IBUs
20.00 g Goldings, East Kent [6.50 %] - Boil 20.0 Hop 3 9.4 IBUs
25.00 g Goldings, East Kent [6.50 %] - Boil 5.0 Hop 4 3.9 IBUs
1.0 pkg London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318) [124. Yeast 5 -
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 6 -

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
Speaking of chiller chat, I just bought one - should be arriving today - and I plan on using it inside as much as outside. I know I can get faucet fittings, but I'll likely be using it in the bathtub as that's where most of my kettles end up to chill.

My showerhead is on one of those hoses that you can take off the mount and clean your undercarriage and such, and it unscrews with a coarse-thread plastic thingy. Do those have a name and will I be able to parts bin some kind of adapter to rig it up into the garden hose fittings?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

robotsinmyhead posted:

Speaking of chiller chat, I just bought one - should be arriving today - and I plan on using it inside as much as outside. I know I can get faucet fittings, but I'll likely be using it in the bathtub as that's where most of my kettles end up to chill.

My showerhead is on one of those hoses that you can take off the mount and clean your undercarriage and such, and it unscrews with a coarse-thread plastic thingy. Do those have a name and will I be able to parts bin some kind of adapter to rig it up into the garden hose fittings?

Almost certainly. It would be pretty unlikely they would use a non standard threading. You just need to determine which one it is.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
It's that time of the year again when my faucet temps are so high that I can't chill my wort below about 75F....saison season! :sun:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

ChickenArise posted:

It's that time of the year again when my faucet temps are so high that I can't chill my wort below about 75F....saison season! :sun:

The most wonderful time of the year.
I think I'm going to make a rye saison next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

ChickenArise posted:

Spend $20 on a pond pump and recirculate ice water when you get below 100. I switched to doing that because I live in Orlando. It has helped immensely.