Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He was knocked out from the Kryptonian mind control whammy and so he was in the DEO's medical wing and all you saw was the boots/bit of leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

zoux posted:

Is that not some directive from higher ups? I know WB/DC gets real nervous about people getting confused.

Well in Arrow they did a pretty good job of having the Suicide Squad and Amanda Waller, then when the Suicide Squad movie was greenlit they unceremoniously killed off the entire group on Arrow so it wouldn't conflict with the movie, despite literally the only crossover being Deadshot

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Medullah posted:

Well in Arrow they did a pretty good job of having the Suicide Squad and Amanda Waller, then when the Suicide Squad movie was greenlit they unceremoniously killed off the entire group on Arrow so it wouldn't conflict with the movie, despite literally the only crossover being Deadshot

Boomerang showed up later too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Medullah posted:

This season Waller was also killed

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Man I know people don't like AOS, but this episode was awesome and it twists what looks predictable and lame into something unexpected and cool.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Can someone spoil tonight's Flash for me? I'm reading reactions from people on Twitter saying it was one of the stupidest things they've ever done and even though I stopped watching I'd kind of like to know just how dumb it was.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
Shield is easily the best superhero show on the air at the moment.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

achillesforever6 posted:

Man I know people don't like AOS, but this episode was awesome and it twists what looks predictable and lame into something unexpected and cool.

The episode was good up until the very end where it was so loving stupid that it undid all of the goodness that preceded it. I'm sorry, but the plot contrivance or suspension of disbelief required for Daisy to break out of her containment, have a long conversation with Lincoln, break into the crazy item vault, and then walk the gently caress out of the base.. completely unnoticed the whole way because I guess a super secret spy base closes at 9pm is just stupid. I expect that poo poo from Flash and Arrow because it has already been established that anyone can walk in or out of anywhere if the plot calls for it. Minutes earlier we saw people pouring in the halls when the lights went off, and then everyone is gone and there is literally no security, no one watching cameras, nothing. That easily goes on the list for dumbest moments on this show.

Now I am willing to accept that maybe I missed an important plot point when they interrupted the show for election results. But I am having a hard time coming up with a sensible way to explain the above given the events that were occurring.

Flash was pretty par for the course. It had it's own really dumb moment, but those are almost a guarantee on the DC shows at this point.

X-O posted:

Can someone spoil tonight's Flash for me? I'm reading reactions from people on Twitter saying it was one of the stupidest things they've ever done and even though I stopped watching I'd kind of like to know just how dumb it was.

Barry convinces Cisco to reopen a portal to E2, against Well's and Joe's wishes. Things go predictably when Zoom basically ends up kidnapping Wally and forces the Flash to give up his speed force, which he does. The dumb moment was when Flash managed to beat Zoom, and had it tethered to the ground, and proceeded to smugly talk to him for 5 minutes before Zoom effortlessly broke the trap and ran away, using the ability they specifically know speedsters have to you know, not be physically trapped by poo poo. Meanwhile, Joe and Wells were waiting in another room for some reason with guns meant subdue or kill Zoom... They never leave the room, even when Zoom was trapped. What gently caress was the plan then? Leave him stapled to the floor of the portal room? Really lovely writing that could have been fixed in like 30 seconds.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 20, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-O posted:

Barry traps Hunter/Jay, but monologues and let's him get away. He then kidnapped Wally and told Barry he would trade him for his speed. Barry agrees. Jay then shows up at Star Labs, hands Wally over... And hangs for like a loving half hour as Wells tweaks the speed sapper from earlier in the season. Joe and Wells both have guns on them, but Joe leaves with Wally and Wells puts his down to go to work. They didn't have any plan at all. They just let Jay hang out, take Barry's speed, and go..

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wow. Yeah, that's pretty goddamn dumb.

Just let me make sure I have this straight. So Barry makes deal to make a trade of his speed for Wally, and he gets Wally back safe and sound. And then proceeds to make good on the deal anyway for reasons? That's insane. Who wrote this?

X-O fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 20, 2016

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

X-O posted:

Wow. Yeah, that's pretty goddamn dumb.

Just let me make sure I have this straight. So Barry makes deal to make a trade of his speed for Wally, and he gets Wally back safe and sound. And then proceeds to make good on the deal anyway for reasons? That's insane. Who wrote this?

People who have given up. There doesn't really seem to be much effort in the writing of these shows anymore. There's almost no narrative anymore. Just like they write a quick summary and try to quickly fill in the gaps, with no room to change what an episode summary is during the process. If the episode was summarized to have 3 specific plot points, it MUST have them and this can never be changed.

It is the only way I can imagine the scripts are written, coming from the perspective of someone who has studied and dabbled in screenwriting, and narrative writing in general.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ToastyPotato posted:

The episode was good up until the very end where it was so loving stupid that it undid all of the goodness that preceded it. I'm sorry, but the plot contrivance or suspension of disbelief required for Daisy to break out of her containment, have a long conversation with Lincoln, break into the crazy item vault, and then walk the gently caress out of the base.. completely unnoticed the whole way because I guess a super secret spy base closes at 9pm is just stupid. I expect that poo poo from Flash and Arrow because it has already been established that anyone can walk in or out of anywhere if the plot calls for it. Minutes earlier we saw people pouring in the halls when the lights went off, and then everyone is gone and there is literally no security, no one watching cameras, nothing. That easily goes on the list for dumbest moments on this show.

Now I am willing to accept that maybe I missed an important plot point when they interrupted the show for election results. But I am having a hard time coming up with a sensible way to explain the above given the events that were occurring.
Eh she's a hacker, she mess with the cameras or some poo poo

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

Eh she's a hacker, she mess with the cameras or some poo poo

Can she hack people into non-existence? There was not a single soul shown, outside of the main cast during that scene, and they were all relaxing as if they didn't just have a situation where one or possibly all of their inhuman allies were compromised by mind control (and killed a very important prisoner, by the way) via an infection they have not figured out how to cure yet, which has resulted in them having to lock their friends up in quarantine because they are too dangerous to let walk around. But I am sure it is fine to send literally everyone else home, or to their bunks for a good night's sleep. No need to have even one armed guard at least at the hangar door. She practically did a tour of the base and not a single person bumped into her, to which, the response would have been "how the hell did you escape your pod?" poo poo's dumb yo.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Nah it was fine. If it makes you feel better just imagine the guards got knocked out.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

Nah it was fine. If it makes you feel better just imagine the guards got knocked out.

I can make myself feel better by just rewriting the whole thing in my head, but I shouldn't have to because, you know, that's dumb. I shouldn't have to write the episode in my head for the people who made it. Taking that to its logical conclusion, I could just stop watching the show all together, and imagine my own series. The episode was great until that very lazily written scene. It's like they realized that they were running out of time and had to rush through the end. Which is hilarious given that tonight's Flash was like the realized that their episode was only 30 mins long and they needed to figure a way to make it stretch.

Edit: Let me just nip this in the bud before it becomes another thing, mostly because I have very little faith that it won't. I thought that scene was dumb. I explained why. No one is going to change my mind on it really, unless, like I said, I missed something due to the interruption. So there is no point in trying to convince me that I am wrong for thinking it was dumb. I'm not willing to jump through mental hoops to make something I didn't like, likeable. So we can just drop it now before this ends up spiraling into yet another multipost "discussion" on what is and isn't "bad" in a comic book tv show. In this thread, sometimes people talk smack and air grievances about the shows they watch. No point in defending those shows, unless you plan on shedding light on something they are clearly missing.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 20, 2016

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The last Flash episode was the dumbest loving poo poo ever. We're talking Arrow levels of stupid.

It's amazing how fast those CW shows run out of creative juice.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I continue to not regret my decision to drop the CW shows, thanks for the update.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Congrats shippers, Skye/Ward is back on!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Veotax posted:

I continue to not regret my decision to drop the CW shows, thanks for the update.

On the contrary, you should've kept watching because there's been some seriously :wtc: moments on the way down.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

ToastyPotato, Daisy mentions to Lincoln that she designed all the security systems at the base and that's how she got out.

Great AOS episode. Very tense.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Little Mac posted:

ToastyPotato, Daisy mentions to Lincoln that she designed all the security systems at the base and that's how she got out.

Great AOS episode. Very tense.

Lol, what is it with people assuming MEGA PLOT HOLE instantly instead of checking to see if they missed something.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I've stuck up for Flash every step of the way but yeah last night was pretty dumb. I guess they were going for some poo poo where Barry being a hero means he's inherently honorable and keeps his word or something? But whatever man I'm not 6 and even if I were I think my Mommy and Daddy could explain to me what a loving bluff is and why the heroes reneged on their deal to win.

I still want to believe in a good finale though :pray:. Maybe they'll pull some Flashpoint poo poo and strap Barry to the roof in a lightning storm. That'd make everyone happy, evenespecially people who hate the show. I am still waiting for the vial of that power consumer guy's blood that Wells took in season 1 to come into play.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 20, 2016

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I am convinced that this season's writers of Flash actively hate Barry and are trying to make him the worst hero ever. Every single one of his decisions this year have been mind-boggingly bad. It isn't even due to a learning curve or anything. He actively seeks out the worst option available, even as others are telling him that it is the worst option, and he fails spectacularly in the end. I don't how the writers think the audience would continue to root for Barry after he fails so many times doing so many stupid things.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Madkal posted:

I am convinced that this season's writers of Flash actively hate Barry and are trying to make him the worst hero ever. Every single one of his decisions this year have been mind-boggingly bad. It isn't even due to a learning curve or anything. He actively seeks out the worst option available, even as others are telling him that it is the worst option, and he fails spectacularly in the end. I don't how the writers think the audience would continue to root for Barry after he fails so many times doing so many stupid things.

Ollie and Rip Hunter are written very similarly. I am not sure if this is isn't some kind of weird prank or bet that Berlanti and co. made at this point.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Agents of Shield is the best superhero show. Followed by Supergirl, Flash, Arrow and finally Gotham.

Legends of Tomorrow feels more like an extended miniseries than a show, so I hesitate to ad it to the list. AoS makes top becuase it rejected terrible relationship drama in the first season and had fairly realistic stuff since then.

If AoS was written like Arrowverse shows, Daisy would still be going "no, Ward can be brought back from being evil!" and Fitz and Simmons would have broken up and gotten back together a dozen times now.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Joy Meachum and Danny Rand
https://twitter.com/IniciativaV/status/722783131678478336

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Agents of Shield is the best superhero show. Followed by Supergirl, Flash, Arrow and finally Gotham.

Legends of Tomorrow feels more like an extended miniseries than a show, so I hesitate to ad it to the list. AoS makes top becuase it rejected terrible relationship drama in the first season and had fairly realistic stuff since then.

If AoS was written like Arrowverse shows, Daisy would still be going "no, Ward can be brought back from being evil!" and Fitz and Simmons would have broken up and gotten back together a dozen times now.

Daisy and Ward are back together.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

bobkatt013 posted:

Skyeward was always meant to be the OTP.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bobkatt013 posted:

Why would you even say this when you know it's not true? Mind control via ancient alien god hardly counts as being together.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Agents of Shield is the best superhero show.
Tallest midget

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

X-O posted:

Why would you even say this when you know it's not true? Mind control via ancient alien god hardly counts as being together.

Also one of them is a meat suit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

No one tell my wife this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

twistedmentat posted:

Agents of Shield is the best superhero show.

What superheroes does it feature?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

What superheroes does it feature?

Secret Warriors

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I really appreciated it last season when Coulson agreed to have a SHIELD board of directors (wtf happened to the rest of them anyway) and they started making decisions he didn't like and his reaction was "I asked for your advice and I'd be a fool not to take it" instead of immediately going behind their backs with a secret Ollieplan. Surprise surprise, the board was actually on the level, they were good people, and the only reason it didn't work was they didn't count on Jiaying being psychotic.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Argue posted:

I really appreciated it last season when Coulson agreed to have a SHIELD board of directors (wtf happened to the rest of them anyway) and they started making decisions he didn't like and his reaction was "I asked for your advice and I'd be a fool not to take it" instead of immediately going behind their backs with a secret Ollieplan. Surprise surprise, the board was actually on the level, they were good people, and the only reason it didn't work was they didn't count on Jiaying being psychotic.

They were all murdered in Winter Soldier

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

bobkatt013 posted:

They were all murdered in Winter Soldier

Wouldn't last season be post Winter Soldier? Winter Soldier happened mid-S1 in AoS.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bobkatt013 posted:

Secret Warriors

So none.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Cadavers4Algernon posted:

Wouldn't last season be post Winter Soldier? Winter Soldier happened mid-S1 in AoS.

O thought you meant the original board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Last night's Flash had a scene where he was doing a speed test. Please tell me him porting forward was not meant to imply that this was when he went to Supergirl Earth. Because if it was, and I fear it was, then the episode makes even less sense, given he never mentions that he just ran to another Earth AND he pushes Cisco into learning how to open breaches (so that he can travel to another Earth), despite Cisco having huge reservations about using his abilities that way.