Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
confirming good game design,

https://youtu.be/aOZQwlXi-y0?t=42s

Yep, sheer brilliance here fellas.

Hey, our game isn't terrible enough... *smears feces on it* ...there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It's like it's targeting hit locations using the overheat code. So like a 99% chance of hitting the head. :gonk:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's like it's targeting hit locations using the overheat code. So like a 99% chance of hitting the head. :gonk:

It could also just be evenly distributing damage across all locations, or rolling enough small-damage clusters that it evens out to essentially that anyways. Damage that's going to blow your head off would just make the armor go yellow in other places on most assaults.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
drat you Patton, you're giving away my secret to "christ, how did you do 500+ and live in a Hunchback SP?"

Remember, paint that sumbitch red and run screaming "Witness me!" At 95kph into the backside of an enemy push.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

A.o.D. posted:

Its been a few weeks since I've logged in, maybe I'll have to break the Warhawk Prime out of mothballs.

I dId almost 1k damage with mine last night in the 1 match I ran it. The heat change doesn't help much, but that velocity is something else.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
here's what metamechs dude is thinking for the cyclops:

http://www.nogutsnogalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=4019.0

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Talmonis posted:

drat you Patton, you're giving away my secret to "christ, how did you do 500+ and live in a Hunchback SP?"

Remember, paint that sumbitch red and run screaming "Witness me!" At 95kph into the backside of an enemy push.

SP has been a good robot for a while, just a solid brawling rear end in a top hat of a thing.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Really though the takeaway for me on the Cyclops is that all of the extra crap they're attaching to it for pre-order is extra poo poo. The modules in particular are super underwhelming. Wait for launch and see if the quirks are worth a drat and what the hitboxes are like. A big CT and anemic quirks could make it another Archer.

EduardoEspecial
Dec 12, 2011

Dangerously Dexterous Dongs
Can somebody post a link to the splatwolf build please? I have a serious hankering to buy some timberwolves.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=309&l=762d5a9c5c0fdc9949ded4d98c8fc5ce5d15eda7

EduardoEspecial
Dec 12, 2011

Dangerously Dexterous Dongs

Thanks.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
It's amazing. I am utterly in love with Timberwolves and that Timberwolf in particular.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

sebmojo posted:

SP has been a good robot for a while, just a solid brawling rear end in a top hat of a thing.

Yeah the SP has probably been a good mech for more consecutive time than any other mech in the game. I can always just drop in it and do some serious damage even after months of not playing.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

tarbrush posted:

It's amazing. I am utterly in love with Timberwolves and that Timberwolf in particular.

It's my fav timberwolf too.

Almost done mastering my last Wolf (the C) although I'm still waffling on builds for it. Did 'Proper Lurms' build but was underwhelmed. Now using it as a gauss platform and that does alright (especially for teaching me to gauss things.)

Been trying out some trial mechs too. Having some fun in the current locust, though it's a pity I don't have any mechbays left over to start working on them. (Also a blessing because I still have to buy modules and stuff.)

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 20, 2016

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Did they increase premium payouts? I feel like I'm making an absurd amount of c-bills these last 2 days.

Isthian
Feb 22, 2005
Lord of All Things Related to Never
Anyone wanna PM me the Mumble info? Still no word from anyone in GIRL that can invite me to the unit :(

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

If I absolutely have to, whats the least garbage setup one can run on the mist lynx?

Six and a half tons, and 2-3 energy hardpoints seems to be the best of what you have to work with.

MPLs?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Ughhhhhhhhhhhh Why did they change the tonnage for the community warfare? I was preparing a dropdeck for IS and I bought and mastered all the ones metamechs recommended now that we're here I'm 15 tons over. gently caress! I wanted to use this king crab!

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Isthian posted:

Anyone wanna PM me the Mumble info? Still no word from anyone in GIRL that can invite me to the unit :(

Didn't see you ask for an invite to GIRL. Same name here in-game?

TheParadigm posted:

If I absolutely have to, whats the least garbage setup one can run on the mist lynx?

Six and a half tons, and 2-3 energy hardpoints seems to be the best of what you have to work with.

MPLs?

4x SPLas (No ECM)

or

4x MLas (No ECM)

or comedy option

1x ER-PPC (ECM capable but dont)

They waft the notion of ECM at you, but in reality you really can't do it without loving over your weapons and armor.

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 21, 2016

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
2 grf2n 2 bj1x works vs clan p well.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

TheParadigm posted:

MPLs?

The Lynx is legit the worst mech in the entire game, and it's playing MWO on extreme The Boss difficulty. It's so bad goons won't do gimmik night with them. It's the best. Never use ECM.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

The Repo Man posted:

The Lynx is legit the worst mech in the entire game, and it's playing MWO on extreme The Boss difficulty. It's so bad goons won't do gimmik night with them. It's the best. Never use ECM.

I'm going to commit to making a lynx work. Because god drat it, if I can do well in a loving Ice Ferret then I can do well in a MLX.

Isthian
Feb 22, 2005

Stringbean posted:

Didn't see you ask for an invite to GIRL. Same name here in-game?

Yessir!

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Ugh had to donate 1.9 million to GIRL just to invite. But it's sent dude.

Isthian
Feb 22, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIcoiNRQhnA

tactical as gently caress

Isthian
Feb 22, 2005

Stringbean posted:

Ugh had to donate 1.9 million to GIRL just to invite. But it's sent dude.

poo poo GIRL is IS as well? fml

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Loyalty cent can wreck in 4v4 IS v IS or even v clans.

Also, we are synced to get more players to have better group options.

WoL/GIRL will most def be clans when the clan dad drops.

Isthian
Feb 22, 2005

TeeMerk posted:

I have soooo many clan mechs :(

how much CW is actually played, because I just want people to group with

it is soul crushing to drop with pubbies all night and get rolled so often because everyone wants to lone wolf without taking damage

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

TeeMerk posted:

I will be down for this at some point this week

got my roundhouse Griffin and energyboat Blackjack raring to go

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Bought the MLX...

Quad Mediums work surprisingly well. It's only one laser off from the IFRs armament, so I feel at home with it. Now to figure out how to be effective with it.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
CW3 so far is total zerg mode. Getting the scouting bonuses up to 90% gets you the longtoms. Numbers are key here and it makes it easier for the 12 man invasion forces.

Unfortunately, its 2-3 years too late it seems and the rewards mean little unless you have some sort of insane zerg.

4v4 is really fun though even if it has tonnage limits.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

The Repo Man posted:

The only reason I'm asking is in case nothing happens with dropdeck weights by the time the kodiak hits. 2 bear 2 kodiak is current limit; 260 allows for 2 cheatas or foxes.

That being said, :frogsiren: I've opened a basic How To Win At Scouting document for goons. :frogsiren:

Builds/team lineups need some populating, so just put what you find working in there.

Most importantly, if you all can spare a moment here and there to jot down where dropships spawn on which map while buzzing through matches, crowdsourcing that data would go a long ways towards ironing out possible spawn points.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
When escaping to the dropship, the entire enemy lance can be doing break-dancing inside the grid but you still win if you are inside the escape zone when the counter hits 0. They do not have to be outside of it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The cyclops looks cool I guess. Quirks are the only meaningful way to make it different from a Mauler though.

But I'm not an assault player at heart so :shrug:

It's that viper I can't figure out a purpose for. Being a slightly larger firestarter?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

DancingShade posted:

It's that viper I can't figure out a purpose for. Being a slightly larger firestarter?

It's a flying Ice Ferret. It's bad--but with Jump Jets!

Medium scouts make sense in tabletop and in the fluff, because light scouts are deathtraps. The Clans reserve their light `Mechs solely for trainees and suicidal idiots like the entirety of Clan Ice Hellion, so they do most of their recon with `Mechs like the Viper and Ice Ferret which can survive a gently caress-up and still bring useful information back to a field commander.

In MWO, a medium scout is a waste of tonnage because scouting itself is a virtually pointless endeavor.

Edit: They should've given us the Grendel instead. It's basically a Clan OmniMech Blackjack. It's slower than the Viper and nearly as jumpy, but because of the smaller engine size it can actually carry a respectable armament. Actually, I'd rather have the Grendel than the Ice Ferret and Viper combined.

Edit: Or better yet, the 40 ton Pouncer, which devotes 15 tons to weapons compared to the 45 ton Grendel's 11.5 tons, the 40 ton Viper's 8.5 tons, and the 45 ton Ice Ferret's 9.5 tons.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 21, 2016

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I'm still getting a Viper. Not because I'm stupid, but because I legit love playing my Ice Ferret. No one takes it seriously enough until I'm moving in behind them and chewing their robo-butts.

It may very well end up the medium version of the Mist Lynx. Which by the way... I'm starting to enjoy.

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 21, 2016

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Had a weird sequences of emotions where I briefly thought they somehow snuck in the IS Lynx, was disappointed they it was supposedly terrible, then further disappointed when I realized that you were talking about the Mist Lynx.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
they should really have another scouting mode which caters to 4v4 but with heavies and assaults

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pattonesque posted:

they should really have another scouting mode which caters to 4v4 but with heavies and assaults

Where you have to blow something up real good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
4v8. Heavies and assaults vs. Rapid response team (lights &mediums). Kill the VIP objective.

• Locked thread