Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

In that case, maybe someone should've meddled with it, because it doesn't feel very well-integrated into the film.

Really? They need a piece of tech and its obviously Stark Tech. They did not realize were it was being held was now Avengers headquarters. It fits in with the movie, and goes with Hank not trust Stark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

In that case, maybe someone should've meddled with it, because it doesn't feel very well-integrated into the film.

Maybe you are just wrong.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

More Anthony Mackie is good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

site posted:

Whichever one maintains your narrative.

I mean even if that scene wasn't a direct result of studio interference, they say right in that quote that it was a result of rewrites, which were a result of the original writer/director leaving the project, which was a result of studio interference.

it's just a clumsy scene. not all shared universe stuff is bad. Winter Soldier managed to work in a character that you would not know just from the Captain America movies in such a way that it not only didn't clash but actively enhanced the movie.

but yeah my narrative is dope and correct

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Rewrites bad. First drafts for everything.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Superstring posted:

Rewrites bad. First drafts for everything.

this is like a new level of failing to understand context, I'm actually kinda impressed.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The question came from this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NpVwN7yq8Y

Honestly, this is the first time I had heard anyone complaining about the scene because it was fun action scene and, as was said, sets up the end of the movie. There's a bunch of other stuff in there that's also really nitpicky, like the blanket "tacked on romances" line. The only tacked on romance in any of the films is Hulk and Widow.

Though I still get pissed off when someone goes "we lost a genius film that Edgar Wrights was making!" because it's all out there and his Ant-man seems to lack any of the stuff that people really liked. What was the biggest complaint I saw about the movie? We never got to see Hope as the Wasp, guess who was barely in Wright version? Hope Van Dyne.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Is Wright's version out there?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think the Ant-Man movie had way bigger problems than the Falcon scene.

e: haha "bigger" hahaha

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 20, 2016

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That scene would still work even if you had no idea who Falcon was. It's a heist film, he's just the heavy for that particular scene.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, the Falcon fight was fun and fit the film. They had to steal something from an old Stark warehouse, but whoops, they just turned that into the New Avengers facility. So he runs into an Avenger and shows off how much he actually learned in regards to fighting and using the suit.

It also shows why later, Scott can go toe-to-toe with Yellowjacket, which is a much more advanced suit that's designed for fighting.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Plus its the reason why he gets roped into Civil War

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

McSpanky posted:

:laffo: The other thread kept calling you on making poo poo up and being willfully ignorant, glad you found a friendly trough to slop in.

The other thread fell pretty hard into the "2smart4u" with SMG and a few others throwing a whiny fit if someone doesn't like something. Kinda like you're doing right now. Literally never once have I just made poo poo up about BvS. I don't see how I could.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

glitchwraith posted:

Honestly, It'd be a vast improvement if Superman spoke more in general in the movie, or at least with more agency. I know he must have had more lines in the movie beyond bemoaning how misunderstood he was, but all that sticks in my memory are people monologueing at or near him while he responds with variations on frowns and deific aloofness. The movie isn't subtle about his motivations, and being familiar with the character I know what Goyer and Snyder where going for, but if this where a brand new character I'd be spending the whole movie asking why I should care about this pouty, spandex god.

It's apparent from online reviews that you are probably right, Supes should have actually explained himself beyond "no one gets me", but I found his inability to explain himself an interesting topic for the movie. The people monologueing near, at, or about him, is part of the point. The film is largely concerned with how people interpret Superman, not how he views himself. The one scene we do get where he attempts to reach out and explain himself is taken from him, and either through his naivety, shame, or some sense of trust in the public he is unable to stop a tragedy which turns public trust further away from him. We know he's a hero who wants to save people, but the people of Earth in the movie don't know that (beyond the Zod fight) and it's a divisive topic for society.

Sidenote, if you're interested in BvS enough, some of the deleted scenes for BvS that expected to be in the Director's cut are Clark scenes which could "fix" some of those complaints. Not sure if that's confirmed or just rumors though, tbh.

CelticPredator posted:

Is Wright's version out there?

I'd really love to read his version too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

It's apparent from online reviews that you are probably right, Supes should have actually explained himself beyond "no one gets me", but I found his inability to explain himself an interesting topic for the movie. The people monologueing near, at, or about him, is part of the point. The film is largely concerned with how people interpret Superman, not how he views himself. The one scene we do get where he attempts to reach out and explain himself is taken from him, and either through his naivety, shame, or some sense of trust in the public he is unable to stop a tragedy which turns public trust further away from him. We know he's a hero who wants to save people, but the people of Earth in the movie don't know that (beyond the Zod fight) and it's a divisive topic for society.

Do not forget the scene where he gets advice from his father which boiled down to if you try to be a hero you will destroy your neighbors farm, so you should not bother having any hero cake.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Supposedly the big difference of opinion with Wright was about him wanting Lang to be more of an actual criminal and Marvel didn't want that at the time. The funny thing is that during the pickups after filming they actually added more criminal stuff to the story.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah but it's okay because I'm a millennial in their target demo who hates wall street people.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Jonathan Kent: It's somethin', innit? One minute in Kansas livin' on a pancake so we come to the mountains. All downhill from here; down to the floodplain, arm at the bottom of the world. I remember one season the water came bad. I couldn't've been twelve. Dad had out the shovels and we went at it all night. We worked 'til I think I fainted, but we managed to stop the water. We saved the farm. Your grandma baked me a cake, said I was a hero. Later that day we found out we blocked the water alright - we sent it upstream. A whole Lange farm washed away. While I ate my hero cake, their horses were drowning. I used to hear them wailing in my sleep.

Clark Kent: Did the nightmares ever stop?

Jonathan Kent: Yeah. When I met your mother. She gave me faith that there's good in this world. She was my world. I miss you, Son.

Clark Kent: I miss you too, Dad.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ant-Man was a bit of fun. I didn't really expect to think much of it but I ended up enjoying it more than Avengers 2.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don't know when they'll upload the clip, but Double Toasted had C. Robert Cargil (Carlye, a regular on their Spill.com days) come on a do an interview about working on Marvel (he's writing Doctor Strange) and it's good.

https://soundcloud.com/kcoolman/the-sunday-service-4-17-16#t=1:38:35

Carlye was one of my favorites and I'm super happy for him. His book loving owns.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
tbh I expected ant man to be total crap but after everyone saw it and said it was actually good, I checked it out and enjoyed it a lot.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

site posted:

tbh I expected ant man to be total crap but after everyone saw it and said it was actually good, I checked it out and enjoyed it a lot.

Yeah same. I liked the cute ants and was sad when one died :(

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That was a bummer.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

This was the best scene in Antman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9fqZlo60_8

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The death of an ant elicited more emotion from me than the death of Superman.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Antony was taken from us too soon

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

TFRazorsaw posted:

The death of an ant elicited more emotion from me than the death of Superman.

That ant ain't coming back in the sequel.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

site posted:

Antony was taken from us too soon

"If you seek his monument, look around you"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It really drives home the film-length homage to Honey I Shrunk The Kids

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacheteZombie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b5aYKaKc6I&t=197s

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ant-Man was just generic to me. I roll my eyes most times at the "Marvel formula" digs, but Ant-Man simply felt like formula all the way through, and not even always in ways that actually benefit the film.

MacheteZombie posted:

gently caress

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Ant-Man was just generic to me. I roll my eyes most times at the "Marvel formula" digs, but Ant-Man simply felt like formula all the way through, and not even always in ways that actually benefit the film.

I liked Ant-Man because it felt like the formula came together for once to create a completely adequate movie from beginning to end. Paul Rudd is also my waifu.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

Jonathan Kent: It's somethin', innit? One minute in Kansas livin' on a pancake so we come to the mountains. All downhill from here; down to the floodplain, arm at the bottom of the world. I remember one season the water came bad. I couldn't've been twelve. Dad had out the shovels and we went at it all night. We worked 'til I think I fainted, but we managed to stop the water. We saved the farm. Your grandma baked me a cake, said I was a hero. Later that day we found out we blocked the water alright - we sent it upstream. A whole Lange farm washed away. While I ate my hero cake, their horses were drowning. I used to hear them wailing in my sleep.

Clark Kent: Did the nightmares ever stop?

Jonathan Kent: Yeah. When I met your mother. She gave me faith that there's good in this world. She was my world. I miss you, Son.

Clark Kent: I miss you too, Dad.

masterful visual storytelling.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

twistedmentat posted:

It's stupid, I actually enjoyed the film, enough I'll buy it when it comes out on bluray. It feels like something I can pop in once and a while and watch while i'm playing Marvel heroes or Fallout or something. Why did I like it? It's like Revenge of the Sith, there's a lot of poo poo in there, but there's some stuff i legitimately enjoy. One of the major characters is actively terrible while others are just there, but others are actually trying to make bad material work. Plus there are certain things that when I see them, i turn into a kid who just loves this poo poo uncritically because I'm a kid, whether those are lightsabers and X-wings, or Superman flying or Batman grappling.

Though we've talked about this before, how you can say "this is a bad movie" but still enjoy it. This isn't Wolverine Origins or Green Lantern, or as was mentioned, Suckerpunch.

I mean, the only things I activily hated was Doomsday and The Flash, and not the characters being there, but what we got on screen. Lazy boring Doomsday design and a Flash that looks like someone never actually looked at who anyone who's held that title is.

poo poo, for that matter, I'd way rather see BvS again than Revenge of the Sith anytime soon.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

BrianWilly posted:

gently caress

I guess it was formulaic, but every single member of the cast managed to elevate it to be far greater than the sum of it's parts

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Travis343 posted:

That ant ain't coming back in the sequel.

It should come back, with little robot ant wings.

VVVV: Quicksilver will show back up from the dead with Antony on his shoulder

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 20, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Everyone knows they just "killed" Antony so they can bring him back for Infinity War.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Antfinity War

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

masterful visual storytelling.

Agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator