Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

kater posted:

You picked Danganronpa with twice the angst and none of the fun when you could have picked from multiple bread eating shows.

mayoiga isn't about angst, it's about everyone is a loving crazy person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Rodyle posted:

Inuyasha shouldn't exist.

Why am I empty quoting so much this week?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

kater posted:

You picked Danganronpa with twice the angst and none of the fun when you could have picked from multiple bread eating shows.

yeah but Pan de Peace probably would've earned him a sixer

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

judging is done by me (namtab) btw

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Sousei no Onmyouji|Twin Star Exorcists

I really like everything about this show, except the show itself. The pacing is really awkward. I am assured that the manga is far better, so, if the show continues to piss me off, I'll probably go that route. That would be sad though, since the colors are a large part of what I like. Thankfully, the voices are only mediocre, so no great sacrifice there.

What's happening with "Zombies on the Koutetsujou"? Are they going to have a double episode one of these weeks? Are they just going to run a week later than planned?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Rodyle posted:

Ranma is a good read, not much reason to watch the show though. Rinne's a good show but I didn't read anything but the first chapter of the manga.

Inuyasha shouldn't exist.

Basically everything she's done that isn't Inuyasha is good, yeah.

And even then you can fix a lot of blame on Inuyasha being such a money printing operation that she wasn't allowed to shut it down for years and years and years. I mean it's bad either way, but being bad for three times as long doesn't help.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i have no strong feelings on inuyasha

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Seeing part of a Inuyasha episode with zero context at 1AM on TV in a hotel room after spending the whole day on an airplane made me laugh like an idiot for no reason.

That's my Inuyasha story

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I still recall being surprised when I learned that the Ranma anime didn't actually adapt the whole series. Did it even get as far as Herb?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Rodyle posted:

I still recall being surprised when I learned that the Ranma anime didn't actually adapt the whole series. Did it even get as far as Herb?

It got to roughly volume 20-ish, iirc. Last big fight was Cheerleader Martial Arts and last two episodes were introducing Ranma's mom.

They did some later OVA's but never touched Herb or any of the other somewhat more serious arcs. The movies are kinda anime original versions of the same idea, though.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That sucks, some of the best stuff is in the back 3rd.

I do vaguely recall watching both movies one evening but I can't tell you anything about them, aside from the 2nd involving Ranma being collected into a harem?

I might be torenting both Ranma movies.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
If one wants to watch rather than read Ranma, the first 2-3 seasons and the OAVs are what's worth watching.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Rodyle posted:

That sucks, some of the best stuff is in the back 3rd.

I do vaguely recall watching both movies one evening but I can't tell you anything about them, aside from the 2nd involving Ranma being collected into a harem?

I might be torenting both Ranma movies.

I only meant the movies hit the same themes in a very broad sense, both of them involve everyone teaming up to beat down some vaguely chinese looking bad guys or whatever. They're a decent watch though as far as anime original content goes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think Attack on Train was delayed because of the earthquake but I'm just assuming

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

If one wants to watch rather than read Ranma, the first 2-3 seasons and the OAVs are what's worth watching.

I can't agree there... I was hoping the OVAs would be an improvement at the end of the series, but in general they were at least as bad as the show's later seasons.

Ranma was lots of fun when it was good, but Good Ranma became progressively more and more outnumbered by Basically Unwatchable Ranma as the series went on. There were so many baffling episodes focusing on annoying one-note gimmick characters (fake edit: don't sign my posts), and even a lot of established characters just became fodder for repetitive scream-and-chase-Ranma-around-for-no-apparent-reason "jokes" instead of actually doing anything worthwhile with them.

For the movies, I remember Nihao My Concubine being surprisingly fun as far as later Ranma went, but the other movie was pretty painful to watch.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Xelkelvos posted:

I think Attack on Train was delayed because of the earthquake but I'm just assuming

Yeah, but at the same time they have a certain number of weeks with a timeslot allocated to them, and a certain number of episodes that they have to play.

So, how do they work out a one week unplanned delay? That's the question I was asking.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Kytrarewn posted:

Sousei no Onmyouji|Twin Star Exorcists

I really like everything about this show, except the show itself. The pacing is really awkward. I am assured that the manga is far better, so, if the show continues to piss me off, I'll probably go that route. That would be sad though, since the colors are a large part of what I like. Thankfully, the voices are only mediocre, so no great sacrifice there.

Well, if you enjoy the premise, you might as well since the third episode was mostly anime original. I have no idea where this show is going to go anymore.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

Yeah, but at the same time they have a certain number of weeks with a timeslot allocated to them, and a certain number of episodes that they have to play.

So, how do they work out a one week unplanned delay? That's the question I was asking.

Online release presumably.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Rumiko Takahashi got to be the best selling female manga author of all time and one of the richest women in Japan by writing things that weren't very good.

Sharkopath posted:

lol yah, they were tremendously popular and groundbreaking works that defined the medium but since it rates a bit tepid compared to modern interpretations of her work theres a narrative that sprung up that stuff like ranma is bad, when its super good still.

Not to mention Urusei Yatsura is also fuckin Mamoru Oshii's early work jfc

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Ranma was the second anime I ever saw. I liked it back then, but only because I was just diving into japanimation. I don't like it anymore and wish I could forget it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Ranma is pretty ok, especially the early episodes, but the anime version is dragged out as hell and never really reaches any conclusion, because they just stopped at some point instead of finishing the story. Plus, there's like 2 whole seasons worth of "grandpa steals underwear" that's funny for maybe half an episode.

Inuyasha is pretty ok, but the manga version is poo poo because it just starts to drag on forever. With the anime they decided at some point to just stop and wait for the manga to finish and then did a 26 ep season with the rest of the material, and it was way better that way. The whole thing would be much better with like 50 less episodes.

UY is simply good & dumb though. The good, funny kind of dumb.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My thoughts on Ranma are that it has probably the best dub of all time and that the manga was frustrating/annoying and never went anywhere interesting.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Takahashi's series are always better early on, and since nothing ever gets resolved I don't see why they don't end sooner.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Neither did Inuyasha, if we're being honest; both of them were milked dry for capital until they just kinda stopped, and there was no real character growth (beyond a sliver by the main characters, which was pretty thouroughly forgotten about later so as to do it again), coming back to the well of "Oh, those tsundere main characters won't admit they love each other, and everyone else is wacky, wahey!" At least UY was honest about being mostly a gag manga.

All of which is to say that the best work by Takahashi is Maison Ikkoku, because it had a definable arc in both character and story, as well as wacky character and situations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
^^^ Maison Ikkoku ftw.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

^^^ Maison Ikkoku ftw.

:yeah:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The other thing about the Ranma anime was the switch in production companies. It's really hard to watch the later seasons of the anime in part because the animation quality goes to poo poo with the switch. That, at least, gets better with the OVAs.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

^^^ Maison Ikkoku ftw.

Yeah, it's my Favourite Takahashi.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

My thoughts on Ranma are that it has probably the best dub of all time and that the manga was frustrating/annoying and never went anywhere interesting.

what even is this opinion

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Nate RFB posted:

Ranma's dub was pretty fun, though "best of all time" is a real stretch, especially considering that both of Ranma's voices change to different actors in the middle of the show. Akane and Shampoo had some great lines with hilarious delivery, though.

And then you also had this one-of-a-kind insanity.

Another problem I'm only now remembering with Ranma is that after a few seasons the show basically forgot about its defining gag. Ranma transforming used to happen pretty frequently and was used for great comic effect, but after a while they just stopped bothering, without finding any other effective humor to replace it with.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I just can't imagine another anime that I would not watch under any circumstances subtitled, so to me it's the best. Even dubs I like a lot such as Cowboy Bebop I got almost just as much enjoyment subbed or dubbed.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 21, 2016

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ranma's dub is 90's trash. Ranma's own voice in particular was really terrible.

And again, the show never adapts some of the best manga storylines so!?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't really have a positive or negative opinion of the show, I only watched like 2 seasons 15 years ago and the dub is basically the only thing about it I vaguely remember.

Slayers often got mentioned in the same breath as having a good 90s dub but man I hated that one.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Both Slayers and Ranma main characters are voiced by Hayashibara, so however good the dubs are, holy poo poo no, they can't compare :v:

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

esselfortium posted:

Ranma's dub was pretty fun, though "best of all time" is a real stretch, especially considering that both of Ranma's voices change to different actors in the middle of the show. Akane and Shampoo had some great lines with hilarious delivery, though.

Another problem I'm only now remembering with Ranma is that after a few seasons the show basically forgot about its defining gag. Ranma transforming used to happen pretty frequently and was used for great comic effect, but after a while they just stopped bothering, without finding any other effective humor to replace it with.

Looking back, the later seasons of Ranma were really, really poo poo. The animation quality fell off a cliff and there were whole seasons that were dominated by filler episodes when they weren't stretching out 1 or 2 chapter stories (Not even the good ones most of the time) to fill an entire episode.

Like, they took one of the worst stories from the manga (Martial Arts Tea Ceremony) stretched that poo poo out for several episodes when they could have covered it in one, and kept on milking those one-off characters (literally they never appear again in the manga) to make I don't even know how many awful filler episodes.

Not to say the manga was perfect, but it holds up a lot better than the anime, IMO. I especially like the last third or so of the manga compared to most of what was covered by the anime.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

esselfortium posted:

Kodachi was my favorite character and I always felt like she didn't get enough attention. Bailing that, I think you're better off sticking with the OVAs as far as Ranma 1/2 goes.

Has anyone brought up the Mermaid series yet? I've always thought that those were the best things Takahashi ever produced.

Back to the subject of the thread, there's a new net series out called Onizushi. It's funny, you should watch it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
1st ep of Tanaka is good, but not great. It's very quiet. Also pretty gay. Right now it's at the same level as Anne-Happy, close to being dropped due to the glut of SoL, but they'll each get at least a second episode.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

1st ep of Tanaka is good, but not great. It's very quiet. Also pretty gay. Right now it's at the same level as Anne-Happy, close to being dropped due to the glut of SoL, but they'll each get at least a second episode.

Tanaka's second episode is a huge improvement with the introduction of the first major female character (who seems like the character Kana Asumi would play)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The second episode is even better, but the first episode was great, and very funny. It made me laugh more often than any of the other comedy SoL shows this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

why would namtab be probated over picking mayoiga

• Locked thread