Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

My idea for the new $20 was Shirley Chisholm on the front and Nixon boarding Marine One on the back.

I'd go with Barbara Jordan on the front and Ford falling down AF1 stairs on the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Internal campaign memo projects Trump will win 1,400 delegates at GOP convention

I'm really only posting this so I can quote this line.

quote:

The memo, obtained by The Washington Post, describes Trump's commanding win in the New York primary as "YUGE"

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

zoux posted:

Who wants to bet this is about to become a huge campaign issue in the GOP primary.

I mean, it's a losing issue that only appeals to a vocal, illogical subset of white America, so yeah it's a perfect fit for this GOP race.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Joementum posted:

My idea for the new $20 was Shirley Chisholm on the front and Nixon boarding Marine One on the back.

Nah, we gotta save Nixon for the future:

:nixon:

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Hahahaha, Jackson is still on the $20. He's just demoted to a depiction of a statue in front of the white house on the inverse. That's perfect.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Wasn't Jackson also one of our more effective generals in the 1812 debacle? That and winning a bunch of duels by shooting second and aiming calmly while injured.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Talmonis posted:

Wasn't Jackson also one of our more effective generals in the 1812 debacle? That and winning a bunch of duels by shooting second and aiming calmly while injured.

Britain was allied with American Indians, who also simultaneously were out to unite against American expansion. Jackson butchered them in 1812 and it set the scene for his hostility while he was president.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/722887331347193856

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

That last part to get the new bills out ASAP is important, the Women on the 20 movement have reacted to the announcement by pushing to get the bills out by 2020, which seems reasonable.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
we need this new money to disrupt the old money flow.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Disinterested posted:

Britain was allied with American Indians, who also simultaneously were out to unite against American expansion. Jackson butchered them in 1812 and it set the scene for his hostility while he was president.

Although there is good reason to believe that the crushing victory at New Orleans was an important factor in the British reassessment of their relationship with the United States from an economic rival with a weak military that could easily be pushed around to a potential economic and military partner that was more trouble than it was worth to fight.

Not that this is a defense of the guy responsible for the Trail of Tears, however.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

DolphinCop posted:

this is the correct approach to take with anything bearing andrew jackson's leering visage

Disagree.

South Carolina should be absolutely plastered with leering visages of Andrew Jackson threatening the politicians that he's still watching the filthy nullifiers. Watch your back, or the angry specter of Jackson will make good on his threats.

TildeATH posted:

What was the appeal of Jackson in the first place?

If Andrew Jackson hadn't done a some unbelievably cunty things he'd be an awesome action hero president. Instead he went and did the Trail of Tears, destroyed the 2nd Bank of the United States, and killed a whole bunch of people who didn't need killing. He was an angry revenant who put his all into loving over anyone who crossed him, and those weren't always people who deserved Sherman in Georgia levels of retribution.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

lol the $20 is still gonna have Jackson on it

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Dubstep Jesus posted:

lol the $20 is still gonna have Jackson on it

To the back of the bill, Jackson.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MariusLecter posted:

To the back of the bill, Jackson.

I prefer Tubman but it would have been hilarious trolling if Rosa Parks was in the $20.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Not video game, TV show.

Hahaha oh man, this is too perfect.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
On the page the treasury just put up, they have a list of names that were suggested of various women who could be put on the $10, it's really cool to learn about all of these different women. My personal favorite:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Dilma Rousseff weighing in on the primary results: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-20/rousseff-to-denounce-coup-in-new-york-and-leaves-vp-in-charge

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

zoux posted:

OH MY GOD

Amazing. But I think there's another related interpretation that could gain traction in the south that's equally problematic:

Is it appropriate to put the image of a person once considered to be tradable property of significant value on a piece of paper considered to be tradable property of some value? Will we see certain racial epithets applied to these bills? "I'm raking in the Benjamins" is one thing. "Hey, can you break me a [insert-a-distasteful-word-for-African-Anericans]" is another.

The intent is good, but I think it's going to turn out to show a really ugly side of America in practice.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Yoshifan823 posted:

On the page the treasury just put up, they have a list of names that were suggested of various women who could be put on the $10, it's really cool to learn about all of these different women. My personal favorite:

She also advocated for genocide in Gaza. :)

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Now I want an all-comedienne line-up on all our money starring Lucille Ball, Joan Rivers, Minnie Pearl, and Moms Mabley.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

MariusLecter posted:

She also advocated for genocide in Gaza. :)

You say that like it's a bad thing in US politics. :sigh:

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Cythereal posted:

Although there is good reason to believe that the crushing victory at New Orleans was an important factor in the British reassessment of their relationship with the United States from an economic rival with a weak military that could easily be pushed around to a potential economic and military partner that was more trouble than it was worth to fight.

Not that this is a defense of the guy responsible for the Trail of Tears, however.

His contemporaries certainly agreed with you.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
re: Jackson

There's merit to saying judging people by current ethical standards is problematique, but with Jackson, even his contemporaries thought he was a reckless, genocidal rear end in a top hat.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

re: Jackson

There's merit to saying judging people by current ethical standards is problematique, but with Jackson, even his contemporaries thought he was a reckless, genocidal rear end in a top hat.

Literally, "gently caress the Constitution, I do what I want bitches!"

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
The sleepiest outrage about the Tubman news.

Ben Carson posted:

Former presidential candidate Ben Carson disagrees with the plan to put Harriet Tubman on the $20 bill, and on Wednesday suggested another note for her: the $2 bill.

"I love Harriet Tubman," the former GOP White House hopeful told Fox Business Network's Neil Cavuto. "I love what she did, but we can find another way to honor her. Maybe a $2 bill."

"Andrew Jackson ... was a tremendous president," Carson told Cavuto. "I mean, Andrew Jackson was the last president who actually balanced the federal budget, where we had no national debt."

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What was that news about declassifying Saudi bullshit again?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Carson just wants to be on the $20, the weasely gently caress.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Suggesting she go on the $2 is literally the currency equivalent of "back of the bus."

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mr Hootington posted:

we need this new money to disrupt the old money flow.

I just shared this with my history class. Only my teacher got the joke :smith:

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

MariusLecter posted:

Carson just wants to be on the $20, the weasely gently caress.

https://twitter.com/Jezebel/status/722903028018204672

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Didn't Clinton balance the budget? Wasn't that part of the reason GWB was criticized, for squandering the surplus?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Here's my idea: Harriet Tubman on the front, and an engraving of John Brown's raid on Harper's Ferry on the back. Double the awesomeness, double the pissed off racists. Plus, John Brown is white so they can't claim he's just getting put on the bill because he's black.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Josh Lyman posted:

Didn't Clinton balance the budget? Wasn't that part of the reason GWB was criticized, for squandering the surplus?

George who?

e;

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Here's my idea: Harriet Tubman on the front, and an engraving of John Brown's raid on Harper's Ferry on the back. Double the awesomeness, double the pissed off racists. Plus, John Brown is white so they can't claim he's just getting put on the bill because he's black.

:sbahj:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

George Clinton, he balanced the budget by compromising with the members of the Parliament.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Only if his portrait looks like that painting. You know the one.

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

It's kind of weird that he suggests "a" $2 bill, instead of "the" $2 bill. Saying it like that makes it sound like he doesn't know there already is a $2 bill.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Disinterested posted:

His contemporaries certainly agreed with you.

It's the general historical assessment of the War of 1812: militarily a wash, but American successes at sea (hostile frigates taking Royal Navy frigates one on one and winning had been considered unthinkable, then the Americans went and did it repeatedly), on the Great Lakes, and land victories at Baltimore and New Orleans lead British authorities, notably Robert Jenkinson, the Prime Minister, to rethink their relations with the United States, which they had previously regarded as a serious economic rival but one with no military to speak of and thus a second-rate power easily bullied and dominated by the British Empire. The significant military victories during the war persuaded Jenkinson and other British leaders that the United States not only couldn't be pushed around with ease - especially not while Napoleon was still a problem - but that doing so would be far more trouble than it was worth and the best way forward for Britain was to turn the United States into a military and economic ally.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I would also settle for decorated war hero and pioneering tactician William Tecumseh Sherman and his march to the sea being the back image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

WampaLord posted:

Suggesting she go on the $2 is literally the currency equivalent of "back of the bus."

Isn't it like only distributed at Monticello now?

Hrm. Are there any extant pictures of Sally Hemmings?

• Locked thread