Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Hat Thoughts posted:

That Indiana Jones one could definitely be a Nightmare on Elm Street poster

I thought it looked more like a Michael Mann film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Great things come in cubs?

Ominous Jazz posted:

That dudes Afrikaaner as gently caress.

Poes.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I quite like these for BFi London's upcoming Spielberg season:

I feel like the posters should be more clear about what it is, it makes it look like a documentary about him called 'Spielberg'.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Saving Private Ryan
Feel the bullets on the big screen

Schindler's List
Feel the misanthropy on the big screen

War Horse
Feel the indifference on the big screen

Lincoln
Feel the boredom on the big screen

Empire of the Sun
Holy poo poo is that Christian Bale

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Munich

I Forgot How Good This Movie Was on the Big Screen

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Lincoln owned.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Admittedly I didn't see Lincoln, just reviews.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

What loving reviews were you reading, that movie had near-universal acclaim.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Many reviews felt it downplayed Lincoln's vampire hunting

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

morestuff posted:

Many reviews felt it downplayed Lincoln's vampire hunting

NOTMYLINCOLN

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Only War Horse from that list was boring, the rest was great.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Cameo posted:

What loving reviews were you reading, that movie had near-universal acclaim.

You didn't hear the Oscar blowback about how the movie should have been titled How A Bill Becomes A Law?

But like I said, I didn't see it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Tommy Lee Jones was robbed

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Why on earth would anyone ever listen to Oscar blowback? People grouse about anything, especially if something is successful.

Also that statement really doesn't suggest anything good or bad about the movie, it is mostly about that, and it's really loving good at weaving characters and the intricate dynamics between them through that process. It's pretty great writing.

Harlock posted:

You're goddamn right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7Brh9iWajc

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's pretty hard to avoid Oscar talk when you work for a studio so I can only speak for myself in that I'm stuck in the bubble but on the other hand you mention "near-universal acclaim" so on the one hand you're using reviews to support your argument and on the other hand ignoring Oscar reviews. It's kind of cherry picking but I really don't feel as strongly about this subject as you do so i don't have much energy to debate it. Especially without having seen it.

Maybe I will though, I actually watched and enjoyed the original Schoolhouse Rock's How a Bill Becomes a Law.

edit: it's worse than I remember

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuqKu5Kyaxo

kiimo fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 20, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Harlock posted:

Sally Field went in, too.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I mean, the thing about anything Oscar related is that so much of it is politicized bullshit within the industry as is (the likelihood of the system as it has evolved, especially post-Weinstein, to award the truly exemplary is slim at best). Critics at least run a gamut of people close to the industry to people that couldn't tell you where Sunset Boulevard is if they were standing on it.

I just find the idea of "Oscar blowback" delightfully stupid. Of course people are going to throw stones, especially if the stones are aimed at a competing studio's movie. And at this point, the Oscar/Tony/Grammy/Emmy chase is practically a cottage industry in and of itself.

I'm just saying, you should probably watch Lincoln.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's legitimately phenomenal.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kiimo posted:

You didn't hear the Oscar blowback about how the movie should have been titled How A Bill Becomes A Law?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lincoln is very good apart from that weird bit at the end where he gives a speech from inside a lantern, like someone's gonna rub a lantern and Genie Lincoln's gonna come out

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
James Spader was also legit great in LINCOLN.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The cast is pretty much outstanding top to bottom. Walton Goggins and Michael Stuhlbarg kill their small roles.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Nice:

I'm the one who knocks:

It's going to be sweeeeet:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The Adam Sandler one looks like a USA show

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Wanna watch The Doover.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Lincoln is very good apart from that weird bit at the end where he gives a speech from inside a lantern, like someone's gonna rub a lantern and Genie Lincoln's gonna come out

Also the fake out ending.

"The president has been shot! ...in another theater."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The Doover poster actually does a decent job of making Adam looks younger. David......not so much.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Bryan Cranston needs to be in more films. IMO he's one of the best actors working today. He steals the show every time he has a minor role.

Gonz posted:

Also acceptable: Now You 3 Me

weird how they didn't go with Now 2 See Me or Now You Don't

or Now 2 Don't lol

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Bryan Cranston needs to be in more films. IMO he's one of the best actors working today. He steals the show every time he has a minor role.

weird how they didn't go with Now 2 See Me or Now You Don't

or Now 2 Don't lol

NOW 4

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Now That's What I Call Not Seeing Me

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Also the fake out ending.

"The president has been shot! ...in another theater."

Yea its like someone read about Lincoln's son seeing a different play at the time and thinking that would be a clever way of handling it, but its a little too clever in the final film.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
DDL is such a method actor, the reason they didn't film the assassination scene probably had something to do with him actually wanting to be shot in his head.

Y'know, for realism.

Also, i'm going to throw in my vote for "Tommy Lee Jones got jobbed". Because he totally did.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Tommy plus Bilbo should've gotten co-costar oscars, by their combined effort.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Now 4 Something Completely Different

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Now You See Me Pee: A Jar of Piss Story.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Daniel Day-Lewis would earn another Oscar if he portrayed Robespierre though he'd be six months in the ground by then.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

A still from I Am Legend:

:tinfoil:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Which was weird at the time because it was during I Am Legend that the first TDK trailer dropped (real trailer with footage), and yeah, that version of the character would not have gelled too well with Superman.

But that did make me laugh when I saw it in the film.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Palpek posted:

A still from I Am Legend:

:tinfoil:

The idea of a "Batman v. Superman" movie had been in the pipelines since the early 2000s, pre-empting I Am Legend by a good 5 or so years. Andrew Kevin Walker (of Se7en fame) wrote a script which was going to be directed by Wolfgang Petersen. Christian Bale was approached to play Superman, while he was in talks to play Batman in Darren Aronofsky's adaptation of Batman: Year One (which I believe is what turned into Batman Begins). WB then cancelled the film to focus on making individual Superman and Batman franchises, which led to the Dark Knight trilogy and Superman Returns. Akiva Goldsman, who wrote the screenplay for I Am Legend did some rewrites on Walker's script.

:ms:

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Peek-A-Boo: Electric Boogaloo