Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

AEMINAL posted:

mackarel is great mashed up in the tin, glopped onto toast with sriracha/sambal. especially the mackarel that comes in tomato paste!! it's been my breakfast staple since i discovered it
ive been doing this with my chunked tuna all week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

leave

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

im broke this week :(

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

naem posted:

makceral is delicious I was referring to mr. Sheep goat's fish balls *nervously puts on/ takes off straw hat repeatedly*

I know you post in onna them Asia threads

Don't front

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fish ball is tasty

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i found the can of mackerel at the back of my cupboard. life during wartime.

naem
May 29, 2011

Sheep-Goats posted:

I know you post in onna them Asia threads

Don't front

As a white guy living in San Francisco I am required by state law to date at least one Asian girl and she made me squat next to a grill with a bunch of foreign students and eat marinaded chicken hearts off a stick and then they all beat the pants off me at street fighter, I've paid my dues

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

naem posted:

As a white guy living in San Francisco I am required by state law to date at least one Asian girl and she made me squat next to a grill with a bunch of foreign students and eat marinaded chicken hearts off a stick and then they all beat the pants off me at street fighter, I've paid my dues

I don't think so naem

Get back to the dues trundle

naem
May 29, 2011

I don't want your delicious moist tender balls in my mouth okay??

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Just put the tip in

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
KOs for lunch today. Hot sauce, cracker and kimchi.

Ate em up in the lunchroom at work like a seal, tails sticking out my mouth

OORP OORP

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012
Can confirm, fresh 'dines are most excellent and super easy to cook.

Highly recommended if you're in a part of the world where you can find them.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Planet X posted:

OORP OORP

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

pantsfree posted:

Can confirm, fresh 'dines are most excellent and super easy to cook.

Highly recommended if you're in a part of the world where you can find them.

Best dines I ever had were at this neighborhood sidewalk restaurant off somewhere in Rome where they did them like boquerones: just fresh sardines pickled in vinegar with some good olive oil and garlic.

Ranidas
Jun 19, 2007
After reading part of this thread I located some Mediterranean KOs for my first dine experience and while they didn't taste bad, I didn't love them. I think mentally I was still getting used to eating whole little fishes.

I continued to catch up on the thread and while at the little local grocery store today saw those round tins of Riga sprats for $2.25 or so and decided to give them a try as I remembered good reviews here. Used cracked pepper triscuts and chili paste. Fantastic. The smoky smell opening the tin reminded me of eating oysters with my Dad as a kid.

The only problem with them was how many fish they pack in there, so I shared a few with dog. I'm going to be a Dad soon so I know I have to get this dine thing down. Going to make fisherman's eggs when I get the chance. Thanks sardine thread!

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I did fresh dines, beheaded, flayed open and grilled with a red pepper sauce on top, all over Parmesan polenta. Fresh sardines are cheap as gently caress if you can find them and really easy to clean. It was the first whole fish I ever prepared (I think I looked up a Good Eats episode to learn) and a great way to learn how to do it. For those that live in the Atlanta area I found them at the Dekalb Farmer's market at the time.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Overwined posted:

I did fresh dines, beheaded, flayed open and grilled with a red pepper sauce on top, all over Parmesan polenta. Fresh sardines are cheap as gently caress if you can find them and really easy to clean. It was the first whole fish I ever prepared (I think I looked up a Good Eats episode to learn) and a great way to learn how to do it. For those that live in the Atlanta area I found them at the Dekalb Farmer's market at the time.

Coulda taken pictures and been a hero but I guess MAYBE NEXT TIME HUH

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Coulda taken pictures and been a hero but I guess MAYBE NEXT TIME HUH

Well I did it like 6 or 7 years ago, so.........

sorry I guess.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Sheep-Goats posted:

Fish ball is tasty

Confirm, I always stop at the vietnamese market in chinatown for a bag of frozen fishballs. I like to toss them in whatever soup broth I have with some greens and soba noodles.

Fish balls be all about that chewy texture, like squid or octopus. You get a lot of pushback on your bite but once you pierce the skin you got some flavor coming your way.

Or you could go FULL HONG KONG and BBQ the fish balls.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

Fish ball is tasty

I want the gloop

naem
May 29, 2011

No gloop

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Kippers on bagel with cream cheese, good breakfast. Wife grossed out, refused to try.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Look Sir Droids posted:

Kippers on bagel with cream cheese, good breakfast. Wife grossed out, refused to try.

Sounds like you need a new wife

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Loaded up at work. Got some Avocados that should be peak ripeness come lunch on Monday.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Nice haul but an even better calendar!

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

someone needs to make a dadfood calendar with various elegant pictures of dadfood for each month. it'll have all the national dadfood holidays highlighted, like national sardines day - november 24th.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Pastor Perineum posted:

someone needs to make a dadfood calendar with various elegant pictures of dadfood for each month. it'll have all the national dadfood holidays highlighted, like national sardines day - november 24th.

Here's my dadfood suggestion. Goes well with sardines too :)

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Decebal posted:

Here's my dadfood suggestion. Goes well with sardines too :)

Yes, the boston cream olive.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Ruzihm posted:

Yes, the boston cream olive.

Garlic man, it's all about the raw garlic.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Ceciltron posted:

That is exceptionally daddly. Goodness.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Ceciltron posted:

Or feta.

Both are dad tier food.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

oh no this sounds amazing :(

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

VendaGoat posted:

Or feta.

Both are dad tier food.

I'm a fan of these, when I see them at the local store

That's right, anchovy stuffed olives.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Ceciltron posted:

I'm a fan of these, when I see them at the local store

That's right, anchovy stuffed olives.

It's just a can of salt, isn't it?

Still would, until I smashed the can.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Operation Dineburg:

I didn't take in process photos because my kitchen's a mess but here's my completely off the cuff recipe:

1 can riga sprats, about half drained
huge pinch of freezedried parsley
lots of cracked pepper
splash of lemon juice
1 egg
breadcrumbs or dry stuffing mix (I used pepperidge farm) crushed to smallish pieces

Mix up everything but the breadcrumbs until it's well combined, add a palmful of breadcrumbs, mix it all up and let it stand a few minutes and check the consistency. You want it just dry enough to hold together when you make it into a patty, i think i ended up using about 1/2 cup total.

Cook about 6 minutes a side, and if you're me you let it go another another 3 minutes with the lid on the skillet to set the inside because goddamn I really should have made 2 more manageable burgs. Harissa and mayo did pretty well for a condiment but I could see something like dill and mustard being a hit as well.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

the yeti posted:

Operation Dineburg:

I didn't take in process photos because my kitchen's a mess but here's my completely off the cuff recipe:

1 can riga sprats, about half drained
huge pinch of freezedried parsley
lots of cracked pepper
splash of lemon juice
1 egg
breadcrumbs or dry stuffing mix (I used pepperidge farm) crushed to smallish pieces

Mix up everything but the breadcrumbs until it's well combined, add a palmful of breadcrumbs, mix it all up and let it stand a few minutes and check the consistency. You want it just dry enough to hold together when you make it into a patty, i think i ended up using about 1/2 cup total.

Cook about 6 minutes a side, and if you're me you let it go another another 3 minutes with the lid on the skillet to set the inside because goddamn I really should have made 2 more manageable burgs. Harissa and mayo did pretty well for a condiment but I could see something like dill and mustard being a hit as well.

Too far, bro. Too far

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Ceciltron posted:

Those are actually pickled, which takes a lot of the edge off.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Get back to me with the dill and mustard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

VendaGoat posted:

Get back to me with the dill and mustard.

You got it; I'll probably try it this weekend.