Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

The onion man and I just killed a giant fire tree lookin' thing? He told me I should have waited instead of trying to attack him. Did I gently caress it up? :(

Nope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Mazerunner posted:

I thiiiiiink they were talking about the Darkmoon Covenant

you have to take an invisible path from the rotating staircase in Anor Londo which leads to where the building containing the painting was in DS1

I've been trying to be as thorough as I can (even found Archdragon Peak without having to look it up), but that sure sounds like the sort of thing I would miss. Even if there's nothing there but a covenant I'll be sure to check it out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

You know the big moving bridge/elevator in Anor Londo? When it's raised up, walk to the path that leads to a drop. You should see a tower belonging to a church there. Walk on the invisible bridge until you drop right next to a bonfire. It's a really small optional area, and you don't get some super-cool stuff out of it outside of lore, tbh.

There is also a covenant which is kinda a big deal outside of the lore :cheeky: Although it refuses to summon me so that may not really matter, YMMV.

yellowjournalism posted:

Sorry if this has been posted

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/20/dark-souls-board-game-funded-in-three-minutes

First souls game and enjoying the solitary journey so :tipshat: and good day

I like the idea of a dark souls board game (and was thinking myself a couple months ago how I'd go about making one just in theory) but looking at that game in practice, it looks awful. The card layouts are really badly designed and look ugly, the icons are somehow even worse, the game involves a cool risk/reward mechanic but undermines the whole thing by tying everything to entirely random dice rolls that might do nothing, and involves special dice with blank faces for no real reason, just so you can't use other dice you already have or use these dice in something else.

Not to mention it says "dark souls" but almost everything about it is dark souls 3, making me think the game's creators are just trying to make a quick buck and don't really know much about dark souls. They also refer to 'dark souls iconic classes' which also makes me think they haven't played much dark souls and are just trying to cash-in on the popularity. Don't be a sucker! If its really a good game you can always buy it later, but if you give them money for the kickstarter then it could end up being bad. Wait for reviews if you really care.

Those figures are pretty dope though.

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007

Harrow posted:

Have you infused them? Pretty much every weapon that can be infused should be to get the most out of its scaling.

Weapon balance isn't perfect but Monday's patch helped a lot. Greatswords and ultras are good now. Halberds are good, as are a couple spears. Most thrusting swords are good. Lots of the dual weapons own, especially the Drang Hammers and the Gotthard Twinswords (to be fair those are straight swords). Great hammers are good. Axes of all kinds own.

Infusion saves some weapons, too. The Astora Greatsword goes from mediocre to wonderful when you make it Refined for example.

Yeah, I've infused all my weapons, mostly with sharp since i have a DEX character. Actually my main weapon I've been using is the carthus curved sword, that thing is p good imo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

El Golden Goose posted:

Yeah, I've infused all my weapons, mostly with sharp since i have a DEX character. Actually my main weapon I've been using is the carthus curved sword, that thing is p good imo

I really want one of those. I'm at least going to want one on my pyromancer dude because it seems like anything Carthus is a great fit with that.

(And yeah, it's possible the Warden Twinblades specifically kind of suck. There are some great dual weapons out there, though.)

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

The second boss fight makes this all too clear. :)

Hm? Second boss fight...? You mean Aldrich?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Hm? Second boss fight...? You mean Aldrich?

Yes. Or should I say, Gwyndolin ?

Remember what happened In dark souls 1 after you attack Gwynevere? The change to Anor Londo? The illusion vs the reality?

If you read the item descriptions on some things you realize that Gwyndolin was locked in Anor Londo as a captured god by Pontiff Sulyvahnn, who then fed Gwyndolin's soul forcibly to Aldritch. All that caused a whole lot of nasty god corruption poo poo, since Anor Londo was like Gwyndolin's domain at that point.

Also notice that running around in Irithyll there's lots of weird nasty wet goopy poo poo, and Aldrich's boss room is just FULL of that poo poo

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 20, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes. Or should I say, Gwyndolin ?

Remember what happened In dark souls 1 after you attack Gwynevere? The change to Anor Londo? The illusion vs the reality?

I mean, the boss is definitely Aldrich, it's just that he's got Gwyndolin's empty husk that he's consuming/controlling.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Basically a cross between a pedophilic priest and the bad guy from fern gully had their pope bro lock them in a church where they could eat a god.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
Welp.

I think I'm abandoning this character. I just beat the Catacombs boss and came back to the shrine to find Orbeck gone. I wiki'd this game for the first time and found he's gone forever, and there are no other NPCs to teach the later sorceries. This character is entirely kitted out to be a caster and now she can never get stronger unless I want to shift gear, start dumping points into faith and pick up some pyromances.

I would have given you scrolls if I could find any, you selfish twat of Vinheim. :bang:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

homeless poster posted:

l love that rather than just fight the boss and send you back to your world, all three of them decided it was a better idea to leap to their deaths. they were literally standing in front of the fog wall!

I've farmed tongues like this for several hours now. Don't ask me why it works. It just does

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

I mean, the boss is definitely Aldrich, it's just that he's got Gwyndolin's empty husk that he's consuming/controlling.

Yeah I edited in some more based on the item descriptions to flesh it out. he consumed Gwyndolin's soul, hence the name Aldritch, Devourer of Gods

Spanish Manlove posted:

Basically a cross between a pedophilic priest and the bad guy from fern gully had their pope bro lock them in a church where they could eat a god.

Lol. Yup.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Melanion posted:

Welp.

I think I'm abandoning this character. I just beat the Catacombs boss and came back to the shrine to find Orbeck gone. I wiki'd this game for the first time and found he's gone forever, and there are no other NPCs to teach the later sorceries. This character is entirely kitted out to be a caster and now she can never get stronger unless I want to shift gear, start dumping points into faith and pick up some pyromances.

I would have given you scrolls if I could find any, you selfish twat of Vinheim. :bang:

Pyromancy is a decent choice, though, and if you've been to the Cathedral of the Deep you can respec into something more pyromancy-focused right away.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
What's the point of dipping your head in wax? I just realized I beat that entire area without actually doing anything with it.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Harrow posted:

Pyromancy is a decent choice, though, and if you've been to the Cathedral of the Deep you can respec into something more pyromancy-focused right away.

Can also get Orbeck's ashes to purchase spells. Dunno how that interacts with the scrolls which expand his inventory though.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Anybody got a quick way to get, uh, 650k souls?

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Zombies' Downfall posted:

What's the point of dipping your head in wax? I just realized I beat that entire area without actually doing anything with it.

If you have the wax buff, the curse-inflicting hands from the bookshelves won't do any damage or curse buildup so you can get the items safely.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
So after fighting fire tree thing in Undead Settlement with Siegward, where am I supposed to go? I climbed around the houses until I got to a tower that the only way out of was down a pit that would have killed me if I jumped it? There's also the big door opposite jug guys and church that is locked. I haven't been able to find out how to get down into the river yet either.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
So I've just had an amazingly cool idea, how can I get this to FROMsoft:
What if there was a second covenant item slot that you could ONLY put the Way of Blue item in? The main reason I personally never get any Bluecops in my games is that whenever I'm invaded, I'm already in some other, more fun covenant. A second slot that functioned solely as a 'Receive help when invaded y/n?' button would completely remove this issue.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Any reason (using items apparently fine according to Internet) that Snuggly says poo poo like "not that" (firebomb and prism stones.)??

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
^^ You already traded for those items, and you can only collect rewards once in this game.

Capsaicin posted:

So after fighting fire tree thing in Undead Settlement with Siegward, where am I supposed to go? I climbed around the houses until I got to a tower that the only way out of was down a pit that would have killed me if I jumped it? There's also the big door opposite jug guys and church that is locked. I haven't been able to find out how to get down into the river yet either.

You can drop down the inside of the tower if you jump to a platform mid-way down. There is a Cloranthy ring down there.

It just loops back to an earlier part of the level, though.

You probably want to go back to where you first encountered Seigward and think about that elevator some more, especially with regard to how you first encountered Seig

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i thought the first time you step on that elevator it brings you down. it's figuring out how to go up that's the trick.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kiggles posted:

^^ You already traded for those items, and you can only collect rewards once in this game.

Yeah it I haven't. :/ at least not the firebomb... Weird.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm using an Xbox One controller. It works fine for other games, but it not DS3.

So no one knows why a new Xbox One controller won't work on the PC?

I think I'm going to uninstall-reinstall to see if that makes a difference.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
What's the best staff to use at 30 Int?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Orbeck sounds like a twat and I'm glad I missed him in whatever zone he's in :v:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

il serpente cosmico posted:

What's the best staff to use at 30 Int?

Assuming you're just into sorcery, I've heard it's Heretic Staff until the 40s or 50 and then Court Sorcerer Staff

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Groovelord Neato posted:

i thought the first time you step on that elevator it brings you down. it's figuring out how to go up that's the trick.

There's a trick to making it go up? I went back there after leveling up after killing jug men and it went up just fine? :confused:

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So is there any way to boost my mobility in the swamp like in Dark Souls 1?

Turn around, backstep through the water. You go full speed and look like the guy in the onion man video where he backsteps through shrine of amana.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Assuming you're just into sorcery, I've heard it's Heretic Staff until the 40s or 50 and then Court Sorcerer Staff

Good deal, thanks. I'm specing out a dex character with enough INT for Crystal Magic Weapon. I'm not entirely sure if this is the most efficient way to get high damage output or not. I'm also considering doing a quality build, refining a dark sword, and buffing it with resins.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

SirPhoebos posted:

So no one knows why a new Xbox One controller won't work on the PC?

I think I'm going to uninstall-reinstall to see if that makes a difference.

They only seem to work correctly with Windows 10. I bought one for DS3 specifically not knowing the hassle it would be to get it working on Windows 7, and spent several hours manually trying to install drivers and inputting things into a drat command console before eventually just giving up and taking it back to the store. There are guides to get them functioning in Windows 7, but even after following the steps exactly I would run into errors at various points without any clear solution that I could find online.

Returned it and bought a 360 controller with the store credit, which installs the drivers without issue as soon as you plug it in and works without any hassle.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Capsaicin posted:

The onion man and I just killed a giant fire tree lookin' thing? He told me I should have waited instead of trying to attack him. Did I gently caress it up? :(

Nah you're fine, that's the way you're supposed to do it.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Good game had fun playing. Not as good as Bloodborne though. I prefer the more streamlined approach basically in everything and Bloodborne had better story. I got fooled a bit on the final boss though. Someone had left a message "It's a trio" before the boss area. I died numerous times on the second form with most of my estus unused anticipating the third form. I was kind of let down though in the end when I beat him as I'd loved to fight the third form.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I'm confused about dual wielding. I started a Mercenary and dual wielding my twin swords does noticeably less damage than just using the single-handed R1 attacks, which I can still use with a shield in my left hand (and thus, the ability to block). The only advantage seems to be the weapon art, which I can still use with a shield in my hand.

Is there any point to dual wielding? My suspicion is that it becomes better once you have things that give a flat boost to attack damage, like rings and weapon buffs, but I don't know if that's exactly how those work and I don't know if the twin swords scales that down too. Or maybe dual wielding just does more poise damage or something. Has anyone had success with it?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I remember being upset the first time I ever lost like 20k souls back in Demon's Souls and I think past me would feel a little better he knew he would someday lose 3 million souls in one bloodstain (I died from being afk with the mimic hat on then messed up getting back to the bloodstain)

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Boing posted:

I'm confused about dual wielding. I started a Mercenary and dual wielding my twin swords does noticeably less damage than just using the single-handed R1 attacks, which I can still use with a shield in my left hand (and thus, the ability to block). The only advantage seems to be the weapon art, which I can still use with a shield in my hand.

Is there any point to dual wielding? My suspicion is that it becomes better once you have things that give a flat boost to attack damage, like rings and weapon buffs, but I don't know if that's exactly how those work and I don't know if the twin swords scales that down too. Or maybe dual wielding just does more poise damage or something. Has anyone had success with it?

I think the idea is in using weapon buffs. There are also some tools that increase damage with consecutive hits, so there is some big damage potential with lots of stamina and the right weapon buffs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still can't equip heavy enough armor to get an attack off without breaking poise against anything. The stat's basically worthless in DS3. Which is incredibly annoying, because totally naked hollows with knives basically can go ham and not get interrupted.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Right now I have access to three late game areas: Untended Graves, Archdrake Peak and the Grand Archives. Should I do these in any particular order? I got obliterated by the boss at UG, so I think I'll probably save that for later. I've only barely poked around the other two.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Pontiff Sullivan is really kicking my rear end, anyone got any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

WaltherFeng posted:

I've farmed tongues like this for several hours now. Don't ask me why it works. It just does

Is there any way to team up and invade people together? I would love to get in on some tag team rope bridge madness