Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vargs posted:

Is there anything that can cast both sorceries and miracles? It's pretty annoying having to juggle a chime, a staff, and my pyromancer glove. And unlike the dual pyro/miracle item, I don't care much about having low spell power since I only really use sorcery and miracles for utility poo poo like hidden body and replenishment.

There's chime staff things that let you cast faith and int stuff with the bonus that the int stuff will scale off of your faith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue
Speaking of Infusion - I know I've heard a lot of people say it's better to make a Crystal weapon than to enchant an enchantable weapon with Crystal Magic Weapon. Just chiming in to say "Not Always".

L&L demanded a different approach so I experimented a bit, and with 25 Dexterity and 50 Intelligence, CMW on a Sharp Longsword outdamaged a Crystal Longsword of the same level by a decent amount. Even without Steady Chant on at time of buffing.

Ah, speaking of, just beat the game. With Sorcery boosting equipment, 50 is absolutely enough Intelligence to melt faces with. I may wind up going to 60 when I get around to doing NG+, but for a first playthrough my spells were plenty strong at 50. Hell, I spent most of the game at 40, only pushing to 50 when the last few spells became available, and that was still strong enough so long as I took advantage of equipment effects. Sorcery's not weak. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fereydun posted:

this should not be happening

do you got that aggro ring or spell or maybe wearing super heavy armor or something that makes a lot of noise?

normally you can just hit one of em with an arrow and that should be it

Pretty heavy, that might be it then.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Help Im Alive posted:

I remember being upset the first time I ever lost like 20k souls back in Demon's Souls and I think past me would feel a little better he knew he would someday lose 3 million souls in one bloodstain (I died from being afk with the mimic hat on then messed up getting back to the bloodstain)

How do you handle wearing the mimic hat for extended periods?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
hahah so the end of the onion man's quest is him solo'ing a lord of cinder?? I mostly just rolled around like an idiot.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Is anyone else here a total bum that uses a bow to cheese anything remotely hard? That rat wolf thing on the bridge I would spawn it, run past it then hit it with arrows, repeat till dead. The phantoms helping me on Old Demon King died when he had 2/3 his hp left and I was out of estus, so I kited him with my bow until dead. Pretty much everything annoying and hard I'll find an angle where they are running against a wall and I can shoot their arm to death or something.

I really just need to start a new character that is pretty much bow/crossbow only.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

How is the PC port? Mouse controls as lovely as the other ones?

As someone who's played all 3 with KB+M now, it's the best offering. Works out of the box with no external patches or autohotkey fuckery required. Just bind your preferred controls and you're good. There are a few keys that can't be used for binding for some dumb reason, but compared to some of the bad decisions in 2 or the practically non-working controls offered in 1, it's nearly perfect.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

Is there any way to team up and invade people together? I would love to get in on some tag team rope bridge madness

No, and its probably a good thing they don't let you group-invade, because comeon. That'd be a dick move.

What you can do though is you can invite somebody and then get invaded by two people or summon two red soapstones for some 2v2 action with a friend.

And DS3 is the most online friendly in that, if we wanted to, we could all put on LASERTAG and meet up somewhere and put down red soapstones and have a big goon fight party that nobody else would be a part of. (Unless we get invaded) Which we should totally do at some point...

ultrachrist posted:

hahah so the end of the onion man's quest is him solo'ing a lord of cinder?? I mostly just rolled around like an idiot.

Siegward is closer to Iron Tarkus than Siegmeyer, he kicks rear end.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Suicide ran to the covenant! Now this is forestinvading! :haw:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Robo Reagan posted:

How do you handle wearing the mimic hat for extended periods?

I was farming covenant items so I was sitting at a bonfire constantly, the HP drain doesn't really matter much in that case (unless you're dumb like me and forget about it)

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
How is everyone else's success rate when they try to PVP? Because I think I've gotten 1 kill in the last 20 invasions, and that one wasn't even really my fault. I was hyped up when I started but the constant stream of failures is being a buzzkill. :(

Edit: I somehow invaded someone in the middle of a boss fight. They won, so...at least I got some souls out of the wait?

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 21, 2016

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Ramsus posted:

Is anyone else here a total bum that uses a bow to cheese anything remotely hard? That rat wolf thing on the bridge I would spawn it, run past it then hit it with arrows, repeat till dead. The phantoms helping me on Old Demon King died when he had 2/3 his hp left and I was out of estus, so I kited him with my bow until dead. Pretty much everything annoying and hard I'll find an angle where they are running against a wall and I can shoot their arm to death or something.

I really just need to start a new character that is pretty much bow/crossbow only.

I did his a lot in Demon's Souls, but I mainly use bows to kite guys or kill projectile dudes that can't otherwise be reached.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I finally beat Nameless King by declaring gently caress This poo poo and switching to Int/sorceries. It turns out, oddly enough, that the Nameless King himself is supremely nonaggressive if you're far enough away. Thus I pelted him with (Crystal) Soul Spears , dodged wind blasts and the occasional spear lunge, and ran away like the scared child I was when he got closer than long range. (That said, I should try engaging him in melee if/when I get the funds to upgrade my graphics card. Dodging was occasionally choppy but I won't fault the game for hardware deficiencies on my end.)

All of which is good, since the second phase was where I was having real issues. Before mentioning the camera earlier I'd gotten a vague sense of how to efficiently kill the King of the Storm, but of course I was hoping for a better solution than that or not locking on. The funny thing is that I've never seen a dragon boss in DS1 or DS2 for which it was actively better to not lock on. Kalameet was fine with it, the Ancient Dragon was a puzzle boss anyway, and Sinh/Guardian Dragon just had multiple hit locations that you could swap between. (The Hellkite Dragon doesn't count because the best way to kill it is to not engage it in melee in the first place.)

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cyberventurer posted:

How is everyone else's success rate when they try to PVP? Because I think I've gotten 1 kill in the last 20 invasions, and that one wasn't even really my fault. I was hyped up when I started but the constant stream of failures is being a buzzkill. :(

Dark Souls PvP is janky af and most PvP vids are edited to show the highlights instead of the 15 times the dude got backstabbed from the front

e: also git gud

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
anyone know if the softcap for faith scaling on weapons (like a lightning infused weapon) is the same as dex/str or is it 60 like with spells?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

NGDBSS posted:

I finally beat Nameless King by declaring gently caress This poo poo and switching to Int/sorceries. It turns out, oddly enough, that the Nameless King himself is supremely nonaggressive if you're far enough away. Thus I pelted him with (Crystal) Soul Spears , dodged wind blasts and the occasional spear lunge, and ran away like the scared child I was when he got closer than long range. (That said, I should try engaging him in melee if/when I get the funds to upgrade my graphics card. Dodging was occasionally choppy but I won't fault the game for hardware deficiencies on my end.)

All of which is good, since the second phase was where I was having real issues. Before mentioning the camera earlier I'd gotten a vague sense of how to efficiently kill the King of the Storm, but of course I was hoping for a better solution than that or not locking on. The funny thing is that I've never seen a dragon boss in DS1 or DS2 for which it was actively better to not lock on. Kalameet was fine with it, the Ancient Dragon was a puzzle boss anyway, and Sinh/Guardian Dragon just had multiple hit locations that you could swap between. (The Hellkite Dragon doesn't count because the best way to kill it is to not engage it in melee in the first place.)

on literally every giant boss it's better to not lock on. the tree is way easier if you don't lock on, as an example in this very game.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Ramsus posted:

Yup. I've pelted several of the larger demons because they can't fit through doors, or their pathfinding doesn't let them cross a threshold. In any other game it would be considered a bug, in Dark Souls, it's just playing smart. :smug:

Talking about smart, if anyone else is starting out as a knight, put a point in Faith. You can buy the basic talisman and the healing aid miracle. It's a godsend at the beginning when estus is pretty short, perfect for topping up any odd hits you might've taken. It's slow as hell to cast though, so save your estus for mid-fight chugs, unless it's a boss and you've got some phantoms keeping the boss busy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ramsus posted:

The shortbow actually has a roll attack, you shoot an arrow real fast but do a bit less damage. You can actually just roll around like a tool and shoot arrows at stuff and get somewhere, it's pretty fun. Gonna enjoy the black bow triple shot when I get it on my bow character.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Cyberventurer posted:

was pretty good earlier @ archdragon peak. I think I went 6-1 and then realized I should be in rosaria's fingers, switched, and proceeded to get mostly 2/3v1 situations.

I invaded a total of probably 40 times.

Way I count my wins is how many embers I had when I started (21) and how many I had when I finished (50)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Someone used a giant seed to fight off a red phantom in front of three giants, eight skeleton priests, and the drangleic assblasters. I had to run through them all to get to him.

He didn't make it. :haw:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

limited posted:

Yup. I've pelted several of the larger demons because they can't fit through doors, or their pathfinding doesn't let them cross a threshold. In any other game it would be considered a bug, in Dark Souls, it's just playing smart. :smug:

Talking about smart, if anyone else is starting out as a knight, put a point in Faith. You can buy the basic talisman and the healing aid miracle. It's a godsend at the beginning when estus is pretty short, perfect for topping up any odd hits you might've taken. It's slow as hell to cast though, so save your estus for mid-fight chugs, unless it's a boss and you've got some phantoms keeping the boss busy.

I would suggest if you want to do this, go and beat up some of the black robed dudes at the start until one drops a cleric chime, it comes with built in regen miracle so long as you hold it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It must suck real poo poo to be a normal human living in Lordran/Drangleic/Lothric huh?

Incidentally, are there more bows than the long and short bow? Been a while since I found any ranged stuff and I kinda want to see if there's something worth running other than the shortbow.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Is getting summoned for Watchdogs of Farron location specific? Do I need to idle near a specific area?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Cyberventurer posted:

you're kind of at a disadvantage because the host is in cinder mode so they have 40% more health than you and 2x as much estus and they will likely have 1-3 phantoms on their side as well. you have to learn what kind of stuff people don't look for and exploit that, because rushing head first into a 3v1 is guaranteed to end in failure. assuming you're doing it purple, keep in mind you can kill host phantoms and get credit just as easy as the host, and the host will usually not go out of their way to protect the phantoms, so sometimes it's easier to kill them instead. also, i've found great weapons and/or weapons with larger swinging arcs tend to work better because you might catch more than one person in each attack, and i won a fair few invasions off an unintentional hit on the host where my sword tagged them by luck when i was chopping at a phantom or whatever.

does the armor reduction percentages the game show you matter, like at all? my dude is in medium armor right now and most bosses (dancer, consumed king, yhorm, etc.) can sometimes 1 shot me, if not 2-3 shot me reliably. in a lot of cases, it seems like once they tag me, i just get into a loop where there's not enough of a break to heal before i eat another attack, so i need to heal, eat an attack, etc. repeat until i am dead. do i really have to wear something like smough's armor before i see some survivability, or does even the heaviest stuff not really make a difference in how many hits it takes a boss to wipe you? i ask because it's super frustrating to more or less have a boss pattern down, but still take a bunch of attempts to win because the boss tags me once and whoops i am dead.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

il serpente cosmico posted:

Is getting summoned for Watchdogs of Farron location specific? Do I need to idle near a specific area?

Nope, but you do need to be in the correct level range

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
If PSN maintenance isn't going on now then something is up with PS4 servers. 20 minutes being unable to successfully summon any of the marks seen, but I get invaded, that's for sure!

Killed the last guy with ease because he was a non-estus drinking bro, wanted to bonfire and refresh my FP estus but for a minute it was like I was awaiting another invasion, no signs, no bonfire usage.

Suddenly a blue-bro spawns in far far too late, and off he goes again.

Farts.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So much like how the Dark Souls 1's PC's official name is Chosen Undead, what is DS3's guy? Unkindled one or Ashen One? And remind me what DS2's was.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Where's the loving patch for PS4???

E: Is it server side only?

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Calaveron posted:

So much like how the Dark Souls 1's PC's official name is Chosen Undead, what is DS3's guy? Unkindled one or Ashen One? And remind me what DS2's was.

FEEBLE CURSED ONE,

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Lakbay posted:

Nope, but you do need to be in the correct level range

I am probably a bit to high to get hits at this point. I think I'm right around 48 with a +5 weapon

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cyberventurer posted:

Edit: I somehow invaded someone in the middle of a boss fight. They won, so...at least I got some souls out of the wait?

I'm kicking rear end and taking names, but I've done pvp in past souls games. If you haven't done a lot of pvp before it definitely takes a whole new practice and skills that are a bit different than fighting the AI monsters or bosses. I died so much in DS1 and DS2 pvp and got really discouraged for awhile, even though I was pretty good at the PvE game, but you just keep at it and eventually I got pretty good in DS2 pvp doing a ton of duels on the bridge or with the blood covenant. Just takes practice, like starting the game from the beginning.

But keep in mind that the same tricks you use on mobs won't work against players. You gotta get a feel for how people react and trick them up.

Like one thing I do is I start running in a circle or away from the host, which usually kinda puts them off guard and they start chasing or whatever, but then you turn around and run into them real quick and do the running attack, and then you keep comboing until you're almost out of stamina, and then you roll out. If you do it right you'll catch them unaware and get some good free hits in. Practice doing stuff like that.

Parrying can be really good but takes a lot of practice especially online where lag is a factor. Everything just takes practice. Think about it like it took you 20 deaths to kill a boss. Not amazing, but that's how dark souls is sometimes. Maybe the next boss will be easier.

Robo Reagan posted:

Dark Souls PvP is janky af and most PvP vids are edited to show the highlights instead of the 15 times the dude got backstabbed from the front

e: also git gud

Also this

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Calaveron posted:

It must suck real poo poo to be a normal human living in Lordran/Drangleic/Lothric huh?

Incidentally, are there more bows than the long and short bow? Been a while since I found any ranged stuff and I kinda want to see if there's something worth running other than the shortbow.

There's the black bow of pharis which has a pretty cool special ability. Also a composite bow which is a more strength focused shortbow.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

il serpente cosmico posted:

I am probably a bit to high to get hits at this point. I think I'm right around 48 with a +5 weapon

+5 might be a little too high for watchdogs, you should just keep going because there's another defense covenant later.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

So I screwed up the Greirat quest for the third loving time. I sent him into Irithyll as soon as I got to the bonfire after the crocdog welcoming party, and when I made it to the kitchen Siegward was there waiting for me. Greirat never came home and Patches never even asked where he was after I sent Greirat on his scavenger hunt. What the hell am I doing wrong?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The Black Blade moveset is so loving good, do any of the other katanas have similar attacks? (specifically the fast R2 horizontal sweep and super high damage vertical attack are both nuts)

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm kicking rear end and taking names, but I've done pvp in past souls games. If you haven't done a lot of pvp before it definitely takes a whole new practice and skills that are a bit different than fighting the AI monsters or bosses. I died so much in DS1 and DS2 pvp and got really discouraged for awhile, even though I was pretty good at the PvE game, but you just keep at it and eventually I got pretty good in DS2 pvp doing a ton of duels on the bridge or with the blood covenant. Just takes practice, like starting the game from the beginning.

But keep in mind that the same tricks you use on mobs won't work against players. You gotta get a feel for how people react and trick them up.

Like one thing I do is I start running in a circle or away from the host, which usually kinda puts them off guard and they start chasing or whatever, but then you turn around and run into them real quick and do the running attack, and then you keep comboing until you're almost out of stamina, and then you roll out. If you do it right you'll catch them unaware and get some good free hits in. Practice doing stuff like that.

Parrying can be really good but takes a lot of practice especially online where lag is a factor. Everything just takes practice. Think about it like it took you 20 deaths to kill a boss. Not amazing, but that's how dark souls is sometimes. Maybe the next boss will be easier.

I've been invading a lot today and generally having a good time but occasionally I'll come up against someone and I do 100 damage per hit with my +7 Washing Pole with like 300AR, other times I'm doing over double that - is this just me invading people of wildly different levels?

I need to get good at parrying straight sword R1 spam though, it's by far the most difficult tactic I've come up against.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 21, 2016

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Cyberventurer posted:

You have to expect to face one or more phantoms alongside the host, so choose your zone smartly. You want a place with deadly monsters, especially if they are ranged or really fast. This lets you even the odds if the host has one or more phantoms around. Places with environmental hazards which you can exploit to annoy the host are also good. Even better if the zone is also one of the "area defender" zones, because that means there will likely be multiple invaders.

In other words, don't try to invade in High Wall. You're almost guaranteed to be fighting outnumbered.

Some good spots:
Crucifixion Woods / Farron Keep (area defenders, environmental hazards)
Irithyll city (dangerous enemies)
Irithyll upper (area defenders, dangerous ranged mobs)
Irithyll Dungeon (good luck fighting an invader near a jailer)
Grand Archives (environmental hazards)

Elerion fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 21, 2016

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Bad ISPs are wild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ryhKKGMSXE

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

on literally every giant boss it's better to not lock on. the tree is way easier if you don't lock on, as an example in this very game.
Literally every giant boss? I don't recall that being true in DS1, and it certainly wasn't true in DS2 (which was great in providing multiple target locations so you could focus on the relevant part) except for the Royal Rat Authority. (And everyone hates the Royal Rat Authority with good reason.) I'll admit that may be applicable to a number of bosses in DS3, but I wouldn't consider that a selling point. Rather, it's something of an indictment of DS3's camera that it will often wig out for anything beyond "tall humanoid". I wonder how Bloodborne was in this regard?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i didn't lock on at all in 1 and 2 and only got into the habit for 3 since bloodborne required it for gun parrying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Anyone know a good spot to farm the harpe?

Calaveron posted:

DS1- Chosen Undead
DS2- Bearer of the Curse
DS3- Ashen One/Unkindled One