Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

RandomPauI posted:

I am opening the floor to questions.

What sort of mustaches are we looking at in either case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Well, for the early 20th century it should be obvious.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You've heard of the side mullet right? Long on the right short on the left? You rock a side handlebar. The left side is a full strong manly handlebar mustache. The right side is a petite handlebar, more delicate but also more sophisticated. People questioned it at first but your so damned confident about it and so sexy that you started a trend.

On a related note, you can be a mustachioed female in the motorcycle scenario but not the steward scenario. Otherwise you'd be a stewardess.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I was going to say a Delta stewardess.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
EDIT:NVM

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

He's crew, I believe.

We also have an Osprey pilot, a E-3 crewman, and former Prowler operator who post from time to time.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Jonny Nox posted:

He's crew, I believe.

We also have an Osprey pilot, a E-3 crewman, and former Prowler operator who post from time to time.

Rotodomes for life

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

HawkHill posted:

Tetraptous, thanks for the very interesting post.

Recently I came across this article about Louis Philip Brennan. It has some interesting history and pictures.

https://oldmachinepress.com/2015/01/08/brennan-helicopter/

Thanks! Brennan's helicopter is also very interesting--I researched him, as well as some other early helicopter pioneers, but decided to omit them in my post as the length increased. I tried to focus on people with claims to the first helicopter, those who developed key technologies that led to the modern helicopter, and some others, like Sikorsky, who are of particular historical interest.

Working on Part II now, which will cover some of the major advances in helicopter technology from the late 20s and 30s. I think there will also be a separate Part III, focusing on developments around the WWII era.

Tetraptous fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 21, 2016

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

RandomPauI posted:

I assume we're playing Comedy Bang Bang rules Would you rather.

Would you rather manufacture motorcycle engines at the start of the 1900's or be Pan-Am's only male steward on the New York - Rio run in the year 1969.

Now when I'm manu--

quote:

I am opening the floor to questions.

gently caress!

also thanks for getting this stuck in my head anew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY5MxCxGOF0

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 21, 2016

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

Tetraptous posted:

...Working on Part II now, which will cover some of the major advances in helicopter technology from the late 20s and 30s. I think there will also be a separate Part III, focusing on developments around the WWII era.

Looking forward to it. Thanks for all the great work.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Crossposted from the Airpower thread.

https://www.facebook.com/usawtfm/videos/10154208113753606/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Some chut rigger somewhere is hosed.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So, pipe dream or is there a snowballs chance in hell this might actually happen?

US House defence committee directs Air Force to look at restarting F22 production

My guess is if this is seriously looked at, Lock-Mart would make it punishingly prohibitive.

e: The directive to even look at it probably won't even happen

quote:

The proposal, part of the annual defense authorization legislation, is far from becoming reality. Senators on the counterpart panel would need to support the measure -- as would both chambers and the president -- before the secretary would be required to carry it out.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 21, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Pipe dream AND it will be prohibitively expensive. It was discussed pretty well in, I think the Cold War/Airpower thread in TFR.

My take is that it's about 5 years too late to be viable, regardless of cost. By the time F-22s are actually rolling down the line, F-X (next USAF fighter program) should be flight testing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

So, pipe dream or is there a snowballs chance in hell this might actually happen?

US House defence committee directs Air Force to look at restarting F22 production

My guess is if this is seriously looked at, Lock-Mart would make it punishingly prohibitive.

e: The directive to even look at it probably won't even happen

That and the Air Force is not as sold as Congress is

Lazy Gun
Apr 7, 2009
Fun Shoe
Speaking of the F22...

I know that NOVA had a special on the fly-off between the F35 and F32; was anything ever done for the YF22 and YF23? I could have sworn that there was some kind of media/documentary about it, but I've never been able to find anything when I've looked.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Godholio posted:

By the time F-22s are actually rolling down the line, F-X (next USAF fighter program) should be flight testing.

Who says the F-X won't be the F-22++?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Cat Mattress posted:

F-22E Strike Lightning or F-22E Super Lightning?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Godholio posted:

Pipe dream AND it will be prohibitively expensive. It was discussed pretty well in, I think the Cold War/Airpower thread in TFR.

My take is that it's about 5 years too late to be viable, regardless of cost. By the time F-22s are actually rolling down the line, F-X (next USAF fighter program) should be flight testing.

Assuming it held to schedule. When was the F35 supposed to originally enter service? Early 1990s?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Cat Mattress posted:

That's basically going to be Lockheed's submission, I expect. This next jet is supposed to evolutionary, rather than revolutionary so a shorter timeline makes sense. Do I think it'll actually be in delivery 10 years from now? No, but if they hold to it when the RFP is issued, I think we could see a flyoff around 2030.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Assuming it held to schedule. When was the F35 supposed to originally enter service? Early 1990s?

The F-35 really is the perfect storm of bad decisions. It's the black was-just-a-virgin in a horror movie who leaves the crowded room at midnight with a full moon to go investigate weird noises in the basement of the haunted house built on an Indian burial ground.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

CommieGIR posted:

That and the Air Force is not as sold as Congress is

For sure, but hasn't Congress/defence committees pulled rank on the AF before? As in SR-71 reactivation, A-10 retirement (or lack of)? Or was that the AF doing?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lazy Gun posted:

Speaking of the F22...

I know that NOVA had a special on the fly-off between the F35 and F32; was anything ever done for the YF22 and YF23? I could have sworn that there was some kind of media/documentary about it, but I've never been able to find anything when I've looked.

This used to be free on amazon prime, not too bad for an hour documentary about the yf-23. It doesn't really cover the f-22 much though.

http://www.amazon.com/Web-Secrecy-YF-23-Black-Declassified/dp/B005IZO5E4

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Cat Mattress posted:

Would ultimately save money I bet to reopen the F-22 line and just skip F-X entirely.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Guys, I got the job at Pratt and Whitney. I'm a non destructive engineering technician. I'll be frequenting this thread a lot more often and possible share some stuff I learn, assuming it's not OPSEC poo poo.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

um excuse me posted:

Guys, I got the job at Pratt and Whitney. I'm a non destructive engineering technician. I'll be frequenting this thread a lot more often and possible share some stuff I learn, assuming it's not OPSEC poo poo.

Nice one, congrats. NDT is a lucrative profession and always in demand.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mortabis posted:

Would ultimately save money I bet to reopen the F-22 line and just skip F-X entirely.

The F-15 line is still open, we can probably get some upgraded new C models for even cheaper!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

um excuse me posted:

Congrats! In related news, I did my first dye penetrant inspection today. That is some of the messiest stuff ever. It'd be easier to clean up a kindergarden full of glitter than dye penetrant.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Congrats! In related news, I did my first dye penetrant inspection today. That is some of the messiest stuff ever. It'd be easier to clean up a kindergarden full of glitter than dye penetrant.

Ever gently caress with A/C dye?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Preoptopus posted:

This is much, much worse.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
You poor bastard. God speed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I bought some recently for my training institute, I think to use for crane inspection. I'm not quite sure what happened with its use.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Preoptopus posted:

for goodness' sake, I keep telling you Astroglide is cheaper.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Godholio posted:

The F-15 line is still open, we can probably get some upgraded new C models for even cheaper!

The Silent Eagle line is open as well. No reason not to get those instead. Their RCS reduction is heavily geared towards the front aspect, but I'd imagine ones developed for us wouldn't be as gimped for export - better RAM, radar, and avionics.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Baconroll posted:

Reports that a drone hit plane on approach to Heathrow airport in London,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36067591

I know theres been 'near' misses at lots of airports but this is the first impact I've heard of.

A follow-up: it was probably a plastic bag and also the report of the strike was filed by police on the ground.
So, uh... there you go :downs:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Spaced God posted:

A follow-up: it was probably a plastic bag and also the report of the strike was filed by police on the ground.
So, uh... there you go :downs:

That’s still more of a drone than most so‐called “drones”, in that it was autonomous.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

um excuse me posted:

What is the real story behind the chained down Chinook that shook itself to death?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

bitcoin bastard posted:

What is the real story behind the chained down Chinook that shook itself to death?

Queue 100 jokes of: "It had been (insert helicopter pun)"

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

bitcoin bastard posted:

It had been severely oppressed and confined to a small area. The inner stirrings coupled with the outside tensions was simply too much to bear.

take that, CarForumPoster

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

bitcoin bastard posted:

It realized it was a helicopter and an affront to God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I think it was a ground resonance test.