Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Madkal posted:

I would love nothing more than to discuss the inherent Jewishness (and Judaism) in Eisner's work (and I am being very sincere and not sarcastic here), and in some ways I would agree with you because a lot of his work, from stuff in Contract with God, Into the Storm, Name of the Game, deals more with being Jewish in a secular (particularly New York) world, and how it affects the characters in the choices they make with two opposite forces pulling them away from who they are. The one story, however, that stands out the most for a Judaism point of view is Contract with God which deals with a religious man's relationship with God that could also be a metaphorical claim of the Jewish people and God.
Eisner's stuff is really compelling and broad but at the same time personable, which is why it seems so ludicrous that some dipshit lumps him into some generic "mediocre white man" bullshit.

Completely agree. It's about as "mediocre white man" as something like Ulysses or The Grapes of Wrath are. Yeah, they're about un- and underemployed failures, but there's a bit more than just that going on in them...

It's not, like, John Updike or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Haha, oh. He's just a webcomic guy. No wonder I've never heard of him.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Ghostlight posted:

I quite enjoyed it - it was pretty easy to listen to the whole thing in one sitting. A good mix of people who think comics are dumb but one of them knows a lot about them and can educate the rest on just how dumb they can be.

You need to plan ahead though and turn off your Skype IM sound.

Thanks! This was my first time editing audio in awhile (our other podcasts are edited by Cody, one of the other hosts) and there seems to be just no good Skype recorder for Windows. I'm going to try having us all record separately next time around. Also, yeah, that's kinda the feel we were going for since that's what the conversations that spawned the podcast were all about.

Our next episode is getting recorded this week and it should be a lot shorter since decompressed storytelling is a thing. We're doing Civil War, because why shouldn't a podcast about comic book events have a movie tie-in episode? Do you guys have anything that you think needs to be discussed or questions about Civil War you think would make for good podcast fodder?

Also, if I'm shilling too much about my own podcast it's only because I'm excited and can gladly stop anytime.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Little Mac posted:

Thanks! This was my first time editing audio in awhile (our other podcasts are edited by Cody, one of the other hosts) and there seems to be just no good Skype recorder for Windows. I'm going to try having us all record separately next time around. Also, yeah, that's kinda the feel we were going for since that's what the conversations that spawned the podcast were all about.

Our next episode is getting recorded this week and it should be a lot shorter since decompressed storytelling is a thing. We're doing Civil War, because why shouldn't a podcast about comic book events have a movie tie-in episode? Do you guys have anything that you think needs to be discussed or questions about Civil War you think would make for good podcast fodder?

Also, if I'm shilling too much about my own podcast it's only because I'm excited and can gladly stop anytime.

I think you guys can make some hay out of the fact they hyped up how they 'had stories for years' about an unmasked Spider-Man, when they already had plans to undo it and the marriage in one fell swoop - I would not be surprised if the unmasking was editorially mandated to get Peter in a place to make that stupid deal. :arghfist::spidey:

And man, you guys were a bit too harsh on the Wasp, imo. Then again, you were working from Secret Wars.

Also when are you guys getting on iTunes? I am lazy and dislike making effort to find podcasts.

Actually, on a related note for the thread in general/mods: do you guys think a Comics Podcast thread would go here or in RGD?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think you guys can make some hay out of the fact they hyped up how they 'had stories for years' about an unmasked Spider-Man, when they already had plans to undo it and the marriage in one fell swoop - I would not be surprised if the unmasking was editorially mandated to get Peter in a place to make that stupid deal. :arghfist::spidey:

And man, you guys were a bit too harsh on the Wasp, imo. Then again, you were working from Secret Wars.

Also when are you guys getting on iTunes? I am lazy and dislike making effort to find podcasts.

Actually, on a related note for the thread in general/mods: do you guys think a Comics Podcast thread would go here or in RGD?

If we can have our own comic book movie and TV show thread in here I think we can have our own podcast thread.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Yvonmukluk posted:

I definitely wanna talk about the unmasking and how it was handled afterward (mostly badly). I know Quesada hated the marriage for awhile, but I don't think they had plans to undo it at the time of Civil War, did they?

I like the Wasp, but Secret Wars Wasp is baaaaaadddddd.

We're on Stitcher! iTunes should be approving us shortly. <3

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Secret Wars Wasp is bad in the same way that Lady Stilt Man is stupid.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Squizzle posted:

I'd say Jewishness more than Judaism, but that's getting dreadfully close to a semantic argument.

Yeah, you're right, I guess I just had A Contract With God on the brain.

Lurdiak posted:

*sigh*

More like a semitic argument.

Thanks for getting this out of the way.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Little Mac posted:

I definitely wanna talk about the unmasking and how it was handled afterward (mostly badly). I know Quesada hated the marriage for awhile, but I don't think they had plans to undo it at the time of Civil War, did they?

Please post a link when itunes approves

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Shelly Bond is out at Vertigo and no one's very happy about it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

No one should be happy about no one giving a poo poo about their good comics this last year :(

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 21, 2016

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Little Mac posted:

Warning: This is going to be a whole chunk of :arghfist::spidey: about OMD, so if anyone reading is not interested in that sort of thing feel free to skip it.

I think Quesada stated that he came into EIC, he had a list of things he wanted to 'fix' - 1) The number of mutants, (resolved via House of M) 2) That all the heroes were apparently too friendly, (resolved via Civil War), and 3) Spider-Man's marriage. Besides, people at Marvel have hated the marriage for years - they tried getting rid of it back in the 90s by killing off MJ but backed down when the fans revolted. Look at it this way - after Matt Murdock, Peter Parker should be the poster boy for 'why letting your identity be discovered is a terrible idea'. His girlfriend? Murdered. His Aunt? Kidnapped and buried alive. His pregnant wife? Drugged into either early labour or outright miscarriage, with the baby never seen again. All of this, mind you, is the work of one guy who knows his identity. Even if he supports the idea of holding heroes accountable, he should have never publicly unmasked in a press conference - especially since nobody else had to do that.

Of course, Aunt May getting shot also gave them an excuse to put Peter back in the Black Costume in time for the release of Spider-Man 3, too - but I'm absolutely certain they only put Peter into that whole situation so they had an excuse to use a magic retcon to undo it and the marriage in one fell swoop in the name of getting things back to 'normal' - like how John Byrne planned to use the Shaper of Worlds to undo the marriage in his run before deciding that was a dumb idea - just like the writers decided using Mpehisto to wrap the Clone Saga was dumb. The whole OMD retcon was editorially railroaded - to the point the writers of Sensational Spider-Man had two concurrent stories where Peter spoke to Aunt May via Seance and God Himself, and they both told him he had to let go and move on. I mean part of it was probably because they were getting booted in favour of the 'Brain Trust' - but it seems like a great deal of the guys actually writing the books were not fans of the retcon. I would not at all surprised if the unmasking was set up with OMD already on the drawing board.

Also, it's worth noting that I don't think they ever established what exactly the registration act did - it wildly fluctuated on how strict it was depending on the whims of the writers - most of whom sided with Cap.

Also, don't forget to mention how they managed to turn Tony Stark into such an rear end in a top hat they decided to mindwipe him and revert him back to pre-Civil War characterisation rather than address all the shady stuff he did.

And don't forget Sally Floyd telling off Cap for standing up for Civil Liberties by reeling off a list of pop culture stuff (most of which is hilariously dated now - who even uses MySpace any more?) and calling Cap out of touch. And literally participating in a cover-up.

I don't think anybody came out of Civil War looking good.

Oh! Maybe mention Annihilation was going on in Cosmic Marvel at the same time, to put things in perspective.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Punisher did well in Civil War. He got firmly shifted back outside the 'hero circle' while his actions and motivations within the event were consistent with his characterisation.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Don't forget Pym, stark, and Reed straight murdering a long time (c-list) friend with seemingly no repercussions.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Kyle Baker spoke at my college yesterday. It was sponsored by the AAAS (African and African American Studies) department, mainly to talk about Nat Turner. Most of the people there were AAAS majors or people from the nearby Cartoonist Institute asking about work. Kyle Baker was super honest and funny. One thing he was talking about were how most of his superhero comics were checks in the boxes, nothing he is passionate about and that's why they're here to talk about Nat Turner and not Deadpool. After the talk one dude super excited goes up to him and asks him to sign Deadpool super excitedly. Hilarious. Baker said he had never seen the collected version of Deadpool - Marvel and DC never send those to him. What was also crazy, he just self published even though he knew nothing about printing because he knew he could get someone to print for less than 80% of costs, and thus made way more money than his Big Two output with little knowledge.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Archyduke posted:

Thanks for getting this out of the way.

It's what I'm here for.

X-O posted:

Haha, oh. He's just a webcomic guy. No wonder I've never heard of him.

He's pretty big as far as those go. Not Homestuck or Penny Arcade level, but he's got sizeable income from his dumb boob comics.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 21, 2016

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

RevKrule posted:

Shelly Bond is out at Vertigo and no one's very happy about it.

It's so weird to think that I was at a con recently and she was there and at the Vertigo panel she was talking about how excited she was about the books being currently published. And now she is gone. It reminds of me of when I was at ECCCC and Joshua Fialkov was at the DC panel talking about his upcoming Green Lantern Corp stint.
I wonder what happened with Bond.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So with Bond's ousting the "Eddie Berganza is a serial sexual harasser" story is now being openly discussed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

So with Bond's ousting the "Eddie Berganza is a serial sexual harasser" story is now being openly discussed.

Knowing how the internet has been lately, this'll probably lead to an increase in the sales of DC comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Knowing how the internet has been lately, this'll probably lead to an increase in the sales of DC comics.

I wouldn't be that surprised. The story claims that he has blackmail dirt on someone higher up and that's what's prevented him from being ousted, I'm curious to see the DC house of cards fall apart if this blows up.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

What's this all about now?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

What's this all about now?

http://www.theouthousers.com/index....management.html

He's basically DC's version of Scott Allie (Bitey the Clown).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
So any chance Bond goes to work on something at Image, because she totally should.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

So any chance Bond goes to work on something at Image, because she totally should.

She'll land on her feet. She's universally loved by the creators she's worked with and in this day that goes a long way.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Gerard Way's been on the press tour telling everyone Young Animal is being edited by Bond, so I could believe Bleedingcool that it came down not getting anything nominated in the Eisner awards.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 21, 2016

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Well this is good timing.

Gerard Way posted:

Vertigo is what I grew up with — obviously I grew up with the superhero stuff too, but once Vertigo was happening, that really just changed everything for me. It really helped shape me, who I was, my tastes, and it fell in line with all the punk music I was listening to an all that stuff. One of my favorite editors from those times, the editor of The Invisibles, was Shelly Bond, and I always felt like she was the rock star editor of comics and I always wanted to work with her.

Taken from the Gerard Way interview on Comic alliance that was posted today.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He even mentioned her specifically in an interview on DC's own YouTube show a couple of days ago.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Today I learned that Marvel has a character named Kim Il Sung. :psyduck:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Where's the Zenescope thread? Cause http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/04/21/zenescope-launches-evil-heroes-from-joe-brusha-and-eric-j/

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That one picture of not-Superman could pass for an official piece of BvS art

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I feel this could be a good test of fair use before I launch my comic about an Alaskan with carbon fiber claws and bones who's also really healthy named Wolferine, who eventually joins the crossing-sign-men.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Travis343 posted:

That one picture of not-Superman could pass for an official piece of BvS art

Forget that, the Wonder Woman is just... Wonder Woman with slightly different colors. There's not even a missing logo.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Where's the Zenescope thread?

Hopefully never created.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Forever Evil with David Finch and all was pretty Zenescopy already. It's fair they take it back.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Hopefully never created.

Oh it's on now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Eddie Berganza's trending on twitter right now.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Lurdiak posted:

Well, tell them to stop it. I'm well over my lovely things in the news quota.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

If Scott Allie didn't get fired I don't see how Eddie will.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Happy Passover/Chag Sameach Jewish goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

If Scott Allie didn't get fired I don't see how Eddie will.

Burn comics to the loving ground and start over with less assholes.

• Locked thread