Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

When taxis can provide a minimum standard of service like
A) not talking on your loving phone he whole trip
B) keeping your car clean
C) showering once a day and wearing deodorant

Then maybe they will stop bleeding customers.

In Perth they have apparently taken to blockading lake street so ubers can't get to the pubs/clubs in the evening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

When Uber can follow labour laws they can be allowed to operate.

Is Uber really the kind of business model you want to encourage? Taxis might not be perfect but you have a lot more to lose from allowing companies like Uber to become established than you do to gain from cheaper taxis.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
I don't know why people hate taxis so much, I have never had a bad experience in a taxi. In fact I've had on four different occasions taxi drivers knock $5-$10 off my fare because they had also been a chef and knew how much it loving sucks to miss the last bus/train home after working a 13 hour shift. Or because we had a good discussion on worker solidarity.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Ban Taxis IMO

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

turdbucket posted:

They have it's called anime.

Anime is trash though.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Higsian posted:

Anime is trash though.

It's a bit much to impose the standards of high art on something aimed at kids though.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

I'm actually kind of interested in knowing what the deal is with that fish

Knorth fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 21, 2016

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

turdbucket posted:

I don't know why people hate taxis so much, I have never had a bad experience in a taxi. In fact I've had on four different occasions taxi drivers knock $5-$10 off my fare because they had also been a chef and knew how much it loving sucks to miss the last bus/train home after working a 13 hour shift. Or because we had a good discussion on worker solidarity.

I know people who have been sexually abused by taxi drivers.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Frogmanv2 posted:

I know people who have been sexually abused by taxi drivers.

Same

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Knorth posted:

I'm actually kind of interested in knowing what the deal is with that fish

NT with the most important stories as expected. I couldn't give a poo poo about 60 Minutes terrists.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
God bless you NT news.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Not to mention the repeated times Gurrumul Yunupingu has been refused access to a taxi, along with other respected members of indigenous societies, but hey, some dude got $10 off a fare so everything must be hunky dory.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

ScreamingLlama posted:

Just popping into this thread to tell you I have been connected to the Turnbull!NBN through Optus for the princely sum of $95 per month (includes home phone, IPad-sized modem and three months of Stan). I may not be 1%, but according to tech pundits I'm part of the 18% (who can get fibre-to-the-node).

So gently caress your Democrats, ASMR and autism jokes, I'm going to binge on old TV shows, update my PlayStation and play EVE without lag. (Must remember to renew Dems membership at some point.)

If Barnaby turns up at Tamworth High School on election day, I'll be sure to tell him Auspol says hi.
Keeping the bastards...FYGM! :wave:

Bifauxnen posted:

All this talk about webpages getting formatted for mobile, while first dog remains nigh unreadable on any phone
See even you think anime is bad.

gay picnic defence posted:

Has anyone stopped to wonder why the banks couldn't possibly waste $50mil or so on a royal commission but are happy to pay $120mil to ASIC?
I certainly did in my last post. Look at any of the so called industry 'watchdogs' from the Civil Aviation Authority to the utterly contemptible and laughable ACMA http://www.acma.gov.au/theACMA/ACMAi/Investigation-reports/Statistics/online-statistics http://www.acma.gov.au/theACMA/ACMAi/Investigation-reports/Television-investigations/2016-television-investigations

They are industry Lapdogs. The experience is consistently that they become defacto lobby groups for the interests they are supposedly regulating. This is why the occasional independent inquiry or royal commission is necessary. "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" in fact.

open24hours posted:

When Uber can follow labour laws they can be allowed to operate.

Is Uber really the kind of business model you want to encourage? Taxis might not be perfect but you have a lot more to lose from allowing companies like Uber to become established than you do to gain from cheaper taxis.
Uber is another problem rather than a solution in this area of consumer satisfaction. While we talk about the transport industry has it not occurred to anybody that in the current declining fuel cost environment if you can't pay your drivers a proper wage and still stay in business then just how hosed up will you be once fuel goes back to normal?

quote:

The lawyer acting for the Nine Network, Kamal Aboudaher, said on Monday the broadcaster had not offered any financial compensation to Mr el-Amien.

"We didn't exchange any offer with Ali regarding funds," he said.
So who got the reported three million dollars it took to get them out?

And a follow up from yesterdays report on Uluru.

http://www.sbs.com.au/comedy/article/2016/04/20/given-you-can-climb-uluru-you-should-also-be-able-do-sick-ollies-anzac-memorial

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Nah sorry guys taxis in Brisbane suck rear end. I mean like if there was better public transport sure but I mean this is once again loving over those drat millenials

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Same.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have only good experiences in the three times I took a taxi

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Frogmanv2 posted:

Not to mention the repeated times Gurrumul Yunupingu has been refused access to a taxi, along with other respected members of indigenous societies, but hey, some dude got $10 off a fare so everything must be hunky dory.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-04/claim-gurrumul-yunupingu-mistreated-in-darwin-hospital/7298114

The other week he was left waiting for eight hours with internal bleeding.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
*Anidav takes a taxi*
*uses toll roads on purpose to rack up the tariffs*
*gets lost*
"That'll be 50 dollars!"

loving Brisbane Taxi Drivers make sure they take you through tolls every time without fail.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Anidav posted:

*Anidav takes a taxi*
*uses toll roads on purpose to rack up the tariffs*
*gets lost*
"That'll be 50 dollars!"

loving Brisbane Taxi Drivers make sure they take you through tolls every time without fail.

Yeah every taxi ride in Brisbane ends up costs at least $50 so yeah it's really cool and good.

The taxi industry is in no way, shape, or form personally invested in taking out Uber for "safety reasons"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Good fish.

Also lmao at ch9 paying out then leaving the kidnap crew they hired out to dry.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Zenithe posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-04/claim-gurrumul-yunupingu-mistreated-in-darwin-hospital/7298114

The other week he was left waiting for eight hours with internal bleeding.

no no, that was just a publicity stunt, because all good publicity stunts involve a very real life threatening medical problem.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Cartoon posted:

So who got the reported three million dollars it took to get them out?

Probably a trust for the children's benefit.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Taxis being bad is an argument for taxi reform, not an argument for Uber.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

open24hours posted:

Taxis being bad is an argument for taxi reform, not an argument for Uber.

This is really enlightened please tell me more

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

You know you are free to make a case for Uber if you think there is one to be made.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The Taxi Industry doesn't want reform though. If they did they wouldn't be roadblocking and protesting parliament house.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Oh well better just give up then.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

open24hours i really love you sometimes but you are being an obtrusive dick

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

A good point well made.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I mean like the argument here is that it's a ~foreign company~ and now it's an Us vs Them argument. Hilariously, they've even added in "safety" as an argument against Uber.

There's some real conflict of interest poo poo going on here and we are still waiting for the Taxi review thing expected Soon™ and who knows if that'll even effect any change.

e: I'd like to further point to the legalisation of Uber in states other than QLD.

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
Uber is better thought of as a venture-capital funded monopoly forming company specifically designed for union and association smashing.

It's absolutely horrible and areas where it succeeds won't get lovely cheap rides forever, but will just end up having less safety standards and be more expensive in the long term.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The legalisation of Uber in other states was a mistake and shouldn't have happened.

If you thought casual work was bad wait until this kind of business model becomes mainstream.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Recoome posted:

e: I'd like to further point to the legalisation of Uber in states other than QLD.

yeah but qld just made pot possession the same level of offense as heroin dealing so good luck getting any kind of logic in decision making here.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
The end game with uber is to remove the driver from the equation totally. To be honest the 10 years in between now and then will become a footnote, just like Netflix posting DVDs they bought from Walmart. Breaking the TWU isn't really going to matter because their union members will be robots.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Taxis and Uber can still both be hosed even if one is better than the other.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

the Automated Workers Union will be a powerful force in the Cyber-Labor party caucus

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

uploading strike.exe...

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

norp posted:

The end game with uber is to remove the driver from the equation totally. To be honest the 10 years in between now and then will become a footnote, just like Netflix posting DVDs they bought from Walmart. Breaking the TWU isn't really going to matter because their union members will be robots.

This is some pretty magical thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Yahweh help you if you're riding with an Uber driver and you're injured in a crash.

You're hosed.

• Locked thread