Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Buca di Bepis posted:

Make sure you talk to every NPC, they have neat stuff to say!

*repeats the same two sentences of dialogue for 20 hours*

So every single friendly NPC in the game has an instance of a subtitle-less heh or sigh in every dialogue bit right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I have a blood gem in my inventory, why won't Andre allow me to infuse my flamberge +4?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

a shameful boehner posted:

I have a blood gem in my inventory, why won't Andre allow me to infuse my flamberge +4?

Do you actually have the coal that lets you do bleed infusions?

e: vvv no.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Oh, a question I'm actually curious about and I'm not even sure myself despite completing the game:

Is it still like Souls 2 where enemies will permanently despawn if you kill them, like, 15 times?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

Do you actually have the coal that lets you do bleed infusions?

Which one is that?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Buca di Bepis posted:

Make sure you talk to every NPC, they have neat stuff to say!

*repeats the same two sentences of dialogue for 20 hours*

It seems like this might be buggy. Some people are getting actual dialogue and some people just get the same line for 20 hours. It's Souls, so it's hard to say. Maybe a lot of people just aren't hitting the exact right obscure triggers in the right order to make them say something new. Wait for your favorite youtube lore nerd to datamine everything, that's my plan.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
So let me get this straight:

Fire is dying because Lothric is having an emo moment and refuses to link it. I mean, I understand, he was basically raised to link the fire, his dad has turned into a hosed up dragon monster, and his brother is crippled and mute. So a bell rings which wakes up a bunch of the old lords of cinder, who linked the flame in previous ages, but they decide to gently caress right the hell off except Ludleth, who probably knows something. A bunch of undead are woken up as well and tasked with getting the lords back to their thrones (in pieces).

In the meantime, the Abyss watchers murder themselves for some reason, Aldia and Sulyvahn establish a giant evil church over old Anor Londo and gently caress up/corrupt/eat most of the surviving old gods, and Yhorm sits a bunch.

Am I getting that right? What was up with Untended Graves? I still can't figure that out. The real firelink shrine is clearly in the real world - you can see Lothric from it. But there's also a version in the Kiln, and the dark version under Oceiros' room, which is impossible.

Also what was up with the serpentine darkness monsters that seemed to be possessing people? It's mentioned they are seeds of darkness, but that's all I got. They look kind of like serpents.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Which one is that?

Profaned, bizarrely.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Why is the AW killing itself?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
so, I beat the game, did all the areas, but lack a symbol of avarice, therefore, I have missed at least 1 mimic. Anyone got a list?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I can't believe for all the dumb infusions they put in this game, the actually useful enchanted infusion from DS2 was left out.

Calaveron posted:

Why is the AW killing itself?

Well there's multiple lords and only one throne :v:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Next question, why isn't the suspension bridge collapsing when I run past it coming from Wolnirs bonfire? Do I have to come from the other side?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Obligatum VII posted:

so, I beat the game, did all the areas, but lack a symbol of avarice, therefore, I have missed at least 1 mimic. Anyone got a list?

I didn't get it til NG+ off of one I killed the first time around

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
I'm beginning to wonder how viable a light armor/heavy weapon, no shield character is. It just feels like everything has more poise, is faster, and does more damage. I'm also wondering if a pure sorcerer is viable for the same reasons. There are some bosses you simply have no time to blink, let alone get a spell or heavy attack off.

Thoughts? Also, on the heavy weapon note, are the Great/Large clubs still good?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Next question, why isn't the suspension bridge collapsing when I run past it coming from Wolnirs bonfire? Do I have to come from the other side?

you can knock it down if you attack it, but it won't fall on its own. it might do if enough skeletons are on it at the same time, but I've had them all cross over to me just fine before so ymmv

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
What's special about the Black Blade katana? Seen lots of people using it. When I tried it the range and moveset seemed inferior to the other katanas.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I can't believe for all the dumb infusions they put in this game, the actually useful enchanted infusion from DS2 was left out.

How many of the infusions in this game are Actually Useless because it sure seems like a lot

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

codo27 posted:

I didn't get it til NG+ off of one I killed the first time around

I have it in ng. dunno which dropped it tho

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So is this the first Souls game where Rubbish is actually worthless? I wonder if there's some secret use for it that nobody's figured out yet. Seems weird that you can buy it from one of the vendors later in the game.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Day Two of Nameless King. I can get 25% of the way through phase two. My golly that's a difficult fight for straight melee. You need to be on point with dodging or you're hosed.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

So is this the first Souls game where Rubbish is actually worthless? I wonder if there's some secret use for it that nobody's figured out yet. Seems weird that you can buy it from one of the vendors later in the game.

Maybe From stages an intervention if you max out your capacity on it.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

Oh, a question I'm actually curious about and I'm not even sure myself despite completing the game:

Is it still like Souls 2 where enemies will permanently despawn if you kill them, like, 15 times?

For any enemy that'd you be farming gear off of, no. Otherwise, enemies like invaders or other humans will go away after being killed once, just as usual.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Viperix posted:

I'm beginning to wonder how viable a light armor/heavy weapon, no shield character is. It just feels like everything has more poise, is faster, and does more damage. I'm also wondering if a pure sorcerer is viable for the same reasons. There are some bosses you simply have no time to blink, let alone get a spell or heavy attack off.

My thing in these games has always been full on heavy, I've never PvP'd much til this game. Havel's all the way. When I started going through all the games again in the months leading up to this one, I finally gave up on that- kept my heavy 2H weapon though. I haven't been able to find anything better than the Dragonslayer Greataxe, and I wear the Masters gear you get at the beginning along with a simple loincloth and that big rag from DeS. Again, I'm no vet of PvP but when I got to the area past Sulyvahn in NG+ I stayed there for 5 or 6 hours over a couple of sittings just PvPing and won more than I lost. Times I'd queue up 3 guys, knock em all off then do 3 more. I cant report any gripes with PvE either, having used the Alva armor before as its a nice balance of weight and poise, which I used to be obsessed with. For me now its hard to top the mobility and stamina gains

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

voltcatfish posted:

There isn't anywhere near enough pointless laughing

I remember the first time I met Oswald and his laughter scared the poo poo out of me, so good

That's kind of an unfair comparison though, nothing compares to Oswald's laughter.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Day Two of Nameless King. I can get 25% of the way through phase two. My golly that's a difficult fight for straight melee. You need to be on point with dodging or you're hosed.

Are you wearing the Thunder Stoneplate ring? It adds a lot to survivability when you occasionally get tapped. With that on I actually found him substantially easier than another similar lategame boss: Champion Gundyr. Mostly because the Champ has all those fuckin punches, kicks, and shoulder slams that gently caress you up once you think you've dodged.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Aldrich seems like an exceedingly luck-based fight. If he spams arrows in the second phase you basically might as well give up.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Viperix posted:

pure sorcerer falls off a cliff after, like, the tutorial boss. still useful against mobs for a while, but bosses are not fun at all and the mobs will outpace you soon enough. you generally have time to get off a spell against bosses, but the damage is not impressive at all

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

Aldrich seems like an exceedingly luck-based fight. If he spams arrows in the second phase you basically might as well give up.

You can outrun them

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
A neat detail that's kind of hard to notice if you're just passing through (spoilers for a reference)

http://i.imgur.com/b7EwDbc.jpg

RIP Dark Souls 2 ladder dude. I guess you're why the Profaned Capital is full of makeshift ladders, including a good dozen broken and lying around on the floor.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

You can outrun them

Yes, but if he spams them you're never going to have enough stamina to actually hit him. And if you get tagged by a soul spear while you're running you're hosed.

I feel like I need an amount of stamina higher than the game allows in this fight.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

Harrow posted:

You just need to roll/run at 90 degree angles to the arrows in sort of loop-de-loops towards him so you can hit him before he can let loose another volley. Once I figured that out, he's not really a threat.

Manatee Cannon posted:

pure sorcerer falls off a cliff after, like, the tutorial boss. still useful against mobs for a while, but bosses are not fun at all and the mobs will outpace you soon enough. you generally have time to get off a spell against bosses, but the damage is not impressive at all

Typical of most game devs, something is stupidly overpowered in the first game gets nerfed to uselessness by the later games. Oh well, not my favorite style anyway.

Regy Rusty posted:

Are you wearing the Thunder Stoneplate ring? It adds a lot to survivability when you occasionally get tapped. With that on I actually found him substantially easier than another similar lategame boss: Champion Gundyr. Mostly because the Champ has all those fuckin punches, kicks, and shoulder slams that gently caress you up once you think you've dodged.

CG really is just a kick-boxer with a halberd. Trying to heal? Nope, kick to the face. Get an attack in? Nope, kick to the face. Try to back off to get some range first and take a breather? Nope, he'll just ninja slide across the arena, and you guessed it, kick you in the face.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Is there a good place to sit and wait for Darkmoon or Sentinel summons?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Well I finally got a better GPU (upgrade from GTX 670 to 970) and uh... From Low to Max settings, the game honestly doesn't look very different v:v:v It's nice to have a stable framerate and no crashes though (I can finally roll a pyromancer!).

...Now I wonder if I could lower the settings and somehow downsample the game. Downsampling makes anything look amazing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm really glad I killed him in the first try because the runback seems like a nightmare if you get stuck. at least the nameless king, who is kicking my rear end atm, has a bonfire and no enemies between the two of you

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Bleed is viable, right?

I kind of want to do a gimmick build for my 2nd playthrough but I'm not sure bleed counts as a gimmick if it's actually viable

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

Bleed is viable, right?

I kind of want to do a gimmick build for my 2nd playthrough but I'm not sure bleed counts as a gimmick if it's actually viable

Bleed is extremely powerful. I don't know how much bleed infusions increase it, but it might actually be competitive if it's enough buildup.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Me and. Another phantom helped a host beat sulyvagnhn. We all did the hey cal at the same time at the end

:3:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Regy Rusty posted:

I managed to power through Champion first try but I'm getting hosed on NK. It's not survivability since I can take three hits on NK but just that every loving time you die you have to go through phase 1 all over again to then gently caress up a dodge on phase 2 and get smoked since you can get about a single hit in at a time so any time youre using estus it's a moment you could have hit him.

40str +10 heavy dark sword, two hand in phase 1 and one hand in phase 2 for speed. Grass crest shield, chloranthy ring, thunder stoneplate, carthus blood ring for extra dodge frames, FAP ring, havels, drang armor and solaire helm. SL85

It's just tedious since to learn phase two you have to master phase one, and I can get through phase one without a single hit or fuckup now but ughuhguhuhgh you got to be loving perfect with your dodges and know exactly when to hit since he mixes slow moves with really goofy timed fast moves.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Gologle posted:

Dragonslayer Swordspear

thanks for testing this out and reporting back. i hadn't even tried this weapon out yet but now i'm going to go give it a look, because trying to land the two-hit version of sunlight spear was the worst part about that spell other than the bonkers FP cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

voltcatfish posted:

How many of the infusions in this game are Actually Useless because it sure seems like a lot

Poison: loving lol
Bleed: If you wanted to inflict bleed you'd just use one of the weapons that already has it, but from what I've heard bleed is bad in this game. Not as bad as poison though.
Simple & Blessed: I have no idea why these were included. They make your weapon terrible but restore HP/FP at a pitiful rate. So the best way to use them is to just switch to one to top off your missing HP/FP or sit still for 5 minutes to go back to full from nothing. Its stupid and scummy.
Hollow: Builds that scale off luck are just a silly gimmick, and inferior to just using a real weapon with actual stats

I just don't see why they would put in so many useless infusions but not include the one that was actually pretty drat useful for sorcerers, as it gave them a way to inflict some solid physical damage against enemies that resist magic.