Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

phase one should just be its own boss with more health and moves. it's a cool idea but it makes phase 2, which is actually hard, much more frustrating because you might take a couple hits during the gimme phase and have to waste an estus before the fight actually begins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Alabaster White posted:

Bleed is extremely powerful. I don't know how much bleed infusions increase it, but it might actually be competitive if it's enough buildup.

Bleed infusion is probably garbage since carthus rouge exists and you're better off just infusing an inherent bleed weapon + using carthus rouge.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

might be another dumb question but is NG+ different in any significant way? diff items at all? i'm closing in on the usurpation ending in my first playthrough and not sure if i should abandon this character afterwards, cuz i'm not totally happy with the build

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

gently caress those cock eaters in AP with the axe on a chain

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:

SpazmasterX posted:

Is there a good place to sit and wait for Darkmoon or Sentinel summons?

Sentinel will pull you to other areas, not sure the stipulations (maybe if you've beaten the boss/have bon fires?) so you can hang out pretty much anywhere. As for Darkmoon, I imagine its the same since the covenants are almost the same.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Manatee Cannon posted:

phase one should just be its own boss with more health and moves. it's a cool idea but it makes phase 2, which is actually hard, much more frustrating because you might take a couple hits during the gimme phase and have to waste an estus before the fight actually begins

It would be so much better if you get through phase 1 and never have to do it again, every time you go through the fog door it jumps to phase 2. But it's an optional boss and meant to be brutal so I'm just going to autism through it with a bunch of espresso this weekend.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Lakbay posted:

Bleed infusion is probably garbage since carthus rouge exists and you're better off just infusing an inherent bleed weapon + using carthus rouge.

C-can you actually apply Rouge to a katana or something? :stare:

alf_pogs posted:

might be another dumb question but is NG+ different in any significant way? diff items at all? i'm closing in on the usurpation ending in my first playthrough and not sure if i should abandon this character afterwards, cuz i'm not totally happy with the build

There are special rings in NG+. No word on content changes.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Viperix posted:

I'm beginning to wonder how viable a light armor/heavy weapon, no shield character is. It just feels like everything has more poise, is faster, and does more damage. I'm also wondering if a pure sorcerer is viable for the same reasons. There are some bosses you simply have no time to blink, let alone get a spell or heavy attack off.

Thoughts? Also, on the heavy weapon note, are the Great/Large clubs still good?

light / med armor and greatsword and no shield is how i've played DS2 & 3. it's extremely viable, you just have to get on point with dodging and you'll probably have to make several attempts at each boss unless you get a lucky break on the first run through, because you have to learn their patterns well enough to know when to dodge and what way to roll, because you can't actually take a hit for poo poo and especially the later bosses in this game (everything pontiff and beyond) hit like loving trucks and if you misgauge even one attack it's YOU DEAD run back from the last bonfire try again.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

im probably just gonna give up on invasions unless they change something soon. 4v1 gankfests throughout the entire game has gotten really old and blue cops just do not work unless you're the one the cops are coming after to kill.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Alabaster White posted:

Uhh yes??? You can apply it to all the inherent bleed weapons!

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Anyone else kind of over the bosses having two phases shtick? It was fine a neat way to change things up, especially when you weren't expecting it. But now that it's almost every single boss, I'm tired of having to learn two bosses in one every single time. Especially since phase two has a habit of ramping up difficulty dramatically. Makes getting through phase one start to feel like a chore. At least the boss runs are usually relatively short.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Captn Kurp posted:

Sentinel will pull you to other areas, not sure the stipulations (maybe if you've beaten the boss/have bon fires?) so you can hang out pretty much anywhere. As for Darkmoon, I imagine its the same since the covenants are almost the same.

Well poo poo. I'd usually have darkmoon on when not engaging in jolly cooperation and I've never been summoned once. That blows. I'm probably getting screwed by my soul level or some nonsense.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

BillmasterCozb posted:

have you ever gotten so mad at a game that you started clapping

I don't usually get mad at games, even Bloodborne. But DS3 has me doing this thing where when I get murdered I, alone in my apartment, start saying things like "Oh that's really nice I like that a lot could you do that more" loudly.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ShadowMar posted:

im probably just gonna give up on invasions unless they change something soon. 4v1 gankfests throughout the entire game has gotten really old and blue cops just do not work unless you're the one the cops are coming after to kill.

you could try the aldrich faithful? that's like the bell cops from dark souls 2 from what I can tell, as I've definitely been invaded by two at once in their area. it won't stop the summoner from bringing in 3 helpers, but it'll even the odds a little bit

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I don't usually get mad at games, even Bloodborne. But DS3 has me doing this thing where when I get murdered I, alone in my apartment, start saying things like "Oh that's really nice I like that a lot could you do that more" loudly.

same, my partner keeps coming home to me furiously staring at the YOU DIED message saying "oh that's fine. that's all totally reasonable."

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Harrow posted:

Aldrich seems like an exceedingly luck-based fight. If he spams arrows in the second phase you basically might as well give up.

the arrows track in a really laggy manner so just make a bunch of right-angle turns and occasionally sprint, you will never get hit by them. i know a lot of people are having a poo poo time with them but once you get the hang of shaking them off instead of just burning green to move quickly, it's not so bad!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

quadrophrenic posted:

fwiw, I play in asia region and i've been called as a bluecop a good dozen or so times

i just came out of farron keep though, so I probably caught a few folks who still had way of the blue swapped in before they get to the cops

bunch of those summons were when I was unembered too, which I didn't know was possible

I tried using the Download Regions of a variety of people who've been able to successfully bluecop. No dice at all. Whatever's going on, it's on From's end and we're just gonna have to wait for a patch. :shrug:

Hamsterlady posted:

If an Aldrich Faithful invades you and you kill it as a Darkmoon do you get a Proof of a Concord Well Kept, or is that only if you help someone else (even though apparently the Darkmoon covenant only calls you for red phantoms, so you just have to get lucky and end up in a world that also has an Aldrich Faithful)

The latter I'm afraid :ughh:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Lakbay posted:

Uhh yes??? You can apply it to all the inherent bleed weapons!

I guess it makes sense since bleeding is an aux effect again. Some part of my mind assumed it wouldn't work because the upgrade system is so similar to DS2's, which also had the classification of Bleed/Poison as damage types, rendering certain weapons useless cause they could never be enchanted.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Harrow posted:

Aldrich seems like an exceedingly luck-based fight. If he spams arrows in the second phase you basically might as well give up.

Nah they're pretty easy to dodge once you get the hang of it even if he shoots a beam and they don't do that much damage. I think he used them 3 times in the second phase on the fight where I beat him and I could avoid them every time

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Manatee Cannon posted:

you could try the aldrich faithful? that's like the bell cops from dark souls 2 from what I can tell, as I've definitely been invaded by two at once in their area. it won't stop the summoner from bringing in 3 helpers, but it'll even the odds a little bit

i did that for a while and i won a ton but i got sick of the same area over and over again

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Alabaster White posted:

Totally can, try it on the dual swords with bleed. The warden ones? Funny in PvP, PvE, bosses have too much bleed resist.

also fun with claws/manikin claws, which are likewise dual weapons with inherit bleed. Surprisingly slower than the warden blades, but manikin does net you the quickstep weapon skill, which is rad.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Internet Kraken posted:

Hollow: Builds that scale off luck are just a silly gimmick, and inferior to just using a real weapon with actual stats

Tell that to Anri's Straight Sword. :smuggo:

400 AR at +5 with 40 Luck and it can be buffed with resins/spells.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Pablo Gigante posted:

Nah they're pretty easy to dodge once you get the hang of it even if he shoots a beam and they don't do that much damage. I think he used them 3 times in the second phase on the fight where I beat him and I could avoid them every time

They only don't do much damage if you just get nicked, but if you get fully caught out you're stunned and dead in two seconds.

But yeah not too bad to avoid.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm wondering if I just got lucky but I seriously never had trouble dodging his arrows in phase 2. Now to be specific, the first time he went into phase 2 I got horribly murdered by the arrows because I didn't realize they would last super long now. So in my next attempt anytime he fired the arrows I just focused on dodging them and nothing else, and never got it. It sucks to spend so much time not attacking, but if you get greedy and go for hits its a lot easier to get killed when the arrows loop back around.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

apparently players are being softbanned for reasons like borderless windowed or using backed up saves, or because they played while steam was offline and FROM's server couldn't handle player info changing during that time. but supposedly they also banned some hackers so the innocent softbanned guys can have someone to play with.

i haven't gotten banned yet but i did swap between a couple of saves to briefly test out how scaling works in this game (because it's a complete inscrutable mystery)

maybe i'll be banned soon who knows

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Why do enemy mobs sometimes attack me as an invader?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Javes posted:

the host probably used a seed of giants. or you're using the mad phantom covenant whose name I forget

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Javes posted:

they smell weakness

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

Manatee Cannon posted:

the host probably used a seed of giants. or you're using the mad phantom covenant whose name I forget

Oh that makes sense I remember seeing an icon underneath my health bar that must have signified that.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

slev posted:

They kinda dropped the ball with npc dialog in this game

the dlc seriously better have some motherfuckin weirdos laughing

all the npcs in this game are just too normal

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Anor Londo :bang:

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Captain Oblivious posted:

The latter I'm afraid :ughh:

This covenant is so poorly implemented that it would be funny if there wasn't a trophy tied to it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm wondering if I just got lucky but I seriously never had trouble dodging his arrows in phase 2. Now to be specific, the first time he went into phase 2 I got horribly murdered by the arrows because I didn't realize they would last super long now. So in my next attempt anytime he fired the arrows I just focused on dodging them and nothing else, and never got it. It sucks to spend so much time not attacking, but if you get greedy and go for hits its a lot easier to get killed when the arrows loop back around.

Yeah, basically just stay cool and don't rush things and you'll be fine just like in any Souls game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hamsterlady posted:

This covenant is so poorly implemented that it would be funny if there wasn't a trophy tied to it

Jokes on you all my trophies stopped unlocking at the blue sentinels and never started working again so I'm free of any desire to grind that poo poo

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Fereydun posted:

the dlc seriously better have some motherfuckin weirdos laughing

all the npcs in this game are just too normal

Uh well they kinda well full on hosed up when they made Aldrich's backstory. Hoo boy, that's some grimdark poo poo. dude got bored of eating kids and their screams no longer satisfied him so he had his pope bro give him a transgendered god to eat.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hamsterlady posted:

there's a trophy for finding it but you don't have to actually do anything else with it for platinum. you can grind out of covenant item on silver knights for the spell you need, tho that's horrible in its own way

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I hope I don't massively gently caress up the npc sidequests on my new character :smith:

I don't even know what I did wrong with Siegward.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Spanish Manlove posted:

Uh well they kinda well full on hosed up when they made Aldrich's backstory. Hoo boy, that's some grimdark poo poo. dude got bored of eating kids and their screams no longer satisfied him so he had his pope bro give him a transgendered god to eat.

My favorite thing about Aldrich; even his theme is a twisted version of Gwyndolin's. A song that was calm and serene in DS1 became ominous and foreboding in DS3 because Aldrich is such a disgusting freak.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Manatee Cannon posted:

there's a trophy for finding it but you don't have to actually do anything else with it for platinum. you can grind out of covenant item on silver knights for the spell you need, tho that's horrible in its own way

I farmed them for like two hours and got five ears total

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Viperix posted:

I'm beginning to wonder how viable a light armor/heavy weapon, no shield character is. It just feels like everything has more poise, is faster, and does more damage. I'm also wondering if a pure sorcerer is viable for the same reasons. There are some bosses you simply have no time to blink, let alone get a spell or heavy attack off.

Thoughts? Also, on the heavy weapon note, are the Great/Large clubs still good?

I played through mostly shieldless using a variety of weapons, big and small. Brigand Axe, Lucerne, Great Club, Dragon's Tooth, and one of the boss soul weapons (a big club). Some of the fights in the mid to late game are pretty difficult if you use a big weapon and no shield, because you don't have heaps of time to punish attacks and roll away. But when you do hit, you hit absurdly hard, and a lot of bosses will have some form of stagger that lets you get off one to two charged counter R2s, which will do huge amounts of damage. I think I would struggle in NG+ and beyond where trading blows is more tricky or impossible. You'd have to be a lot more patient and really know the boss attack patterns.