Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
You don't have to space them if you don't want to. You can just stick them in the corner, away from bridge consoles and ground missions. Buying more Boff slots in the c-store isn't terribly expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

MikeJF posted:

What the gently caress :magical:

Who thought this was a good idea to bring into the story.

Im not gonna read all that, what's it say?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

hakimashou posted:

A time traveller tried to kill Hadrian in 100 AD so the Jewish people would be able to win their revolt and keep ahold of Israel from the start, thus leading to United Earth and consequently the Federation never forming.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

hakimashou posted:

Oh it's just a mediocre bit of fic that tosses in a mention towards the end about how the Holocaust was Necessary And Good for Time reasons, posted on Hitler's birthday.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MikeJF posted:

A time traveller tried to kill Hadrian in 100 AD so the Jewish people would be able to win their revolt and keep ahold of Israel from the start, thus leading to United Earth and consequently the Federation never forming.

You know, I 'get' what they try to do in stories like this, like, yea the idea that SOUNDS good now may have lasting impacts you can't even imagine and all that poo poo.

But...why would you go right to 'so, ya know, if you think about it, maybe the holocaust happening was a good thing' on Hitler's birthday? Why not go with like 'I stopped an accident that killed my parents but without that drive to carry their legacy on and all that I never joined Starfleet to begin with and wound up causing crazy paradoxes'?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That entire hunk about Hadrian and Whatnot reads like an infodump from a textbook or Wikipedia. It's almost like they had something else in there, or simply hadn't finished it until five minutes before Trendy told them to cough up, and just inserted that.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

BOFFs for Feds are pretty simple since they get exactly two space traits (The lackluster Leadership humans get, and the equally unexciting Efficient that sometimes shows up on blue/purple saurians) so most of the time it really doesn't matter who you slap into bridge seats. If you really want to min-max you'd probably want something like...

Tac: Blue-quality male romulans from the Embassy (the only ones with Superior Operative)
Sci: The Hierarchy guy from the delta quests (Pirate+Efficient), and the rest Krenim from the lab (cooldown reduction) for lack of better picks
Eng: Krenim from the fleet lab, similarly due to lack of anything better. I guess?

So... yeah, a shitload of fleet credits and the only ones really worth it are the romulan tac boffs unless you've already bought everything else you need from the starbases. At least the potato guy is cheap and easy to get for a sci slot. :effort:
:stare: Okay then.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Asimo posted:

The lackluster Leadership humans get, and the equally unexciting Efficient that sometimes shows up on blue/purple sauriansl

Isn't leadership pretty good the first time? They just gimped it a few years ago by giving it diminishing returns.

Asimo posted:

and the rest Krenim from the lab (cooldown reduction) for lack of better picks

Huh, I didn't know about the Krenim having a space trait. More importantly: can they be customised?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 21, 2016

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

You know, I 'get' what they try to do in stories like this, like, yea the idea that SOUNDS good now may have lasting impacts you can't even imagine and all that poo poo.

But...why would you go right to 'so, ya know, if you think about it, maybe the holocaust happening was a good thing' on Hitler's birthday? Why not go with like 'I stopped an accident that killed my parents but without that drive to carry their legacy on and all that I never joined Starfleet to begin with and wound up causing crazy paradoxes'?

It's good to know that in the Star Trek timeline, Hitler canonically did nothing wrong.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Isn't leadership pretty good the first time? They just gimped it a few years ago by giving it diminishing returns.
Eh, it's alright. I mean it's better than having no space trait in the slot at all anyway, yes.

quote:

Huh, I didn't know about the Krenim having a space trait. More importantly: can they be customised?
Yeah, each Krenim BOFF is -10% cooldown in their field's boff skills. So two krenim engineers would be -20% cooldown for example. And yeah you can customize them all you want.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So what does it take to be on the writing team anyway?

If apparently they can write the holocaust as being Cool and Good, it shouldn't be that hard to get it canonized that Dukat Was Right.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Asimo posted:

Eh, it's alright. I mean it's better than having no space trait in the slot at all anyway, yes.

Yeah, each Krenim BOFF is -10% cooldown in their field's boff skills. So two krenim engineers would be -20% cooldown for example.

Seriously? For tac-heavy ships that almost sounds better than Superior Romulan Operative.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

MikeJF posted:

Seriously? For tac-heavy ships that almost sounds better than Superior Romulan Operative.

It's more like 8% because :cryptic: also reciprocity/zemok are still a thing.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, rom operatives are still a lot better in practice just because there's a bunch of other ways to reduce tac cooldowns. You don't even really need them for science if you have AHOD going too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ah well.

Still gonna need a shitton of fleet credits, I expect.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

MikeJF posted:

Ah well.

Still gonna need a shitton of fleet credits, I expect.

Yup. I bought one SRO and then decided it might be a better idea to focus on Spire and Embassy consoles as a first priority. Also elite fleet pets if you don't want to use reputation pets.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

kafziel posted:

Oh it's just a mediocre bit of fic that tosses in a mention towards the end about how the Holocaust was Necessary And Good for Time reasons, posted on Hitler's birthday.

:vince:

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

They messed with the bijor missions and I can't republish them :(

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The cooldown doffs are probably nice to have if you can't afford Reprocity and that trait off the command ships, especially since they've been adding so much cooldown stuff lately. I havn't sat down and mathed it out, but mabye having a ton of cooldown stuff without cramming your space traits is viable now?

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Skimmed through this, saw Professor Barkley, Ctrl-F Chaos Dunk, not found. 0/10 would not skim again.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

-Troika- posted:

The cooldown doffs are probably nice to have if you can't afford Reprocity and that trait off the command ships, especially since they've been adding so much cooldown stuff lately. I havn't sat down and mathed it out, but mabye having a ton of cooldown stuff without cramming your space traits is viable now?
Probably! The opportunity cost in skill points and losing out on the crit/critd from rom boffs might not be worth it though, especially considering the fact you have to pay to respec.

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014
Can someone recommend me how to set up my BOFFS with a Baltim Raider with beams up front so I have minimal cooldown problems? I do like my Gravity Well and space farts though, so they would be acceptable compromises and I do like using some Pilot/Intel stuff. I was thinking of maxing out the Strategist spec tree with Attrition warfare eventually and will do the usual 4 piece Iconian thing.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Acer Pilot posted:

They messed with the bijor missions and I can't republish them :(

This travesty cannot be allowed to go unpunished!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jethro_E7 posted:

Can someone recommend me how to set up my BOFFS with a Baltim Raider with beams up front so I have minimal cooldown problems? I do like my Gravity Well and space farts though, so they would be acceptable compromises and I do like using some Pilot/Intel stuff. I was thinking of maxing out the Strategist spec tree with Attrition warfare eventually and will do the usual 4 piece Iconian thing.

Find a way to take two copies of whatever beam skills you prefer. The rest is basically personal preference.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

What the story is saying, is that a peaceful resolution to the Palestine-Israel conflict will bring world peace after WW3?

Oh also

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1214489/permanent-skill-retrain-price

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 21, 2016

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Frankly I'd rather them have some sort of Dual/Multi-Spec option. Something like ship loadouts, but for captains.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Would there be any interest in cd keys from the Collector edition of this game? Since I no longer play this game I have a few left and am cleaning house. Also any ideas on what these things are worth? Ive checked the usual sources and sealed unused games are in the minority.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 21, 2016

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I'll take one if you're giving them away.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Soviet Commubot posted:

I'll take one if you're giving them away.

Yeah, it'd be cool.

Dunno what the worth is for the collector's edition, I'm guessing around :10bux: or :20bux: depending on how many people still give a poo poo about this game.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Veeb0rg posted:

Would there be any interest in cd keys from the Collector edition of this game? Since I no longer play this game I have a few left and am cleaning house. Also any ideas on what these things are worth? Ive checked the usual sources and sealed unused games are in the minority.

I think the only 'good' thing that comes from it is the Red Matter Capacitor - I bought a bunch of Goons some cheap EU boxes a while back for them but I can't remember what else they got out of it.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Veeb0rg posted:

I'll take one if you're just giving them out too.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Aleth posted:

I think the only 'good' thing that comes from it is the Red Matter Capacitor - I bought a bunch of Goons some cheap EU boxes a while back for them but I can't remember what else they got out of it.

the actual physical starfleet badge you get with physical copies is dope as hell, and i hate that i lost mine

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'm honestly surprised they aren't selling bluetooth comm badges that link to phone, so you can say "Computer!" and get it to do things.

Trekkies would snap those things up.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Trebuchet King posted:

the actual physical starfleet badge you get with physical copies is dope as hell, and i hate that i lost mine

The EU one doesn't come with a badge but it does have an STO t-shirt!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

My condolences.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

seriously t-shirts are pretty much the consummate consolation prize

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Here we go, it's the 'gold edition':

The DS9 uniform code actually awarded the RMC. :shrug:

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Veeb0rg posted:

I'd love one, but you'll probably want to look and see what you can sell them for. People still want to buy them for the account wide red matter capacitor unlock, and they're getting pretty scarce.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Yeah an everything battery is really valuable in the age of oh look my power levels are at cap all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Morglon posted:

Yeah an everything battery is really valuable in the age of oh look my power levels are at cap all the time.

It's good for levelling alts

• Locked thread