Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

tooterfish posted:

Well the way some Londoners say oval office is more like "cant", so it still fits. Actually, I see what you're saying. It's getting late and I'm a daft twat. But yeah, see below.

Also, rhyming slang being a "cockney" thing is a very recent development, it's not actually as unique to London as they'd like people to believe. :ssh:

e: what I'm trying to say is maybe the evolution from Berkshire Hunt to berk happened oop north.

edit edit: actually no, we say "bark" up here too. That is loving weird. What a total headfuck before I go to bed.

My favourite thing about cockney is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WvIwkL8oLc&t=315s

Cracks me up every time. Followed of cause by rhyming slang.

e: Space catte bunny

Risc1911 fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Phi230 posted:

I was registered in a small forum. I was still a J4G when we were raided by citizens. Foreign citizens. Torn from my shitposts I was made to post their language. With each new post, my backers changed along with the paarps they made me speak. With each paarp, I paarped, too. My thoughts, personality, how I saw right and wrong. Words. Can. Shill.

I'm about to go to bed and I have the feeling this post is going to give me Lynch-ian dreams. :catdrugs:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Still the best thing to ever come out of Star Citizen.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5306988/Downloads/SQ42/447820968.mp3

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
The only truth in this 'verse is you and me.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

you whisper without a sound

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Someone make a dancey video with that. Wonder how much Chris paid for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLGjA7aR1MA

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

See you space citizen.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

you know what else reminds me of historical linguistics, its star citizen, because they are going to be history pretty soon with all of the groundbreaking stuff they are doing at cig

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

on the topic of language, I just wanted to remind folks that B'TAK earnestly suggested that CIG make a translator that could instantly translate, on the fly, between the 230 nations represented in SC backers. Not translate like google or whatever, not text, speech. instantly translate SPEECH

dude wanted a universal translator from star trek, and thought CIG was in the position to deliver what would probably be one of the most important inventions in human history for their game :)

wait, seriously?

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

wait, seriously?

it would not even be the much of a stretch for cig to make this. consider the rapid advances in technology we have seen in computerized translation in the last 20 years, well as you know technology improves exponentially so within 2 years we will see a universal translator that can interpret in real time all 6,000 known human languages. stuff like this is one of the reasons i use most of the money i make selling diet pills over the phone to support CIG, i believe chris roberts will make the world a better place and star citizen will have us on Mars by 2023

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

T.G. Xarbala posted:

wait, seriously?

Yes, he also suggested it wouldnt be a huge thing to set up. B'tak is either the longest con in goon history or is loving insane.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
SpaceX have made a real reusable launch system and are working on a manned capsule with the same initial capital as Star Citizen.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

let's consider the advanced AI not walking into each other but instead bugging out in the corner technology we have already seen glimpses of, this is going to change the game in terms of computerized intelligence and is just ONE example of the cutting edge work happening at CIG

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

on the topic of language, I just wanted to remind folks that B'TAK earnestly suggested that CIG make a translator that could instantly translate, on the fly, between the 230 nations represented in SC backers. Not translate like google or whatever, not text, speech. instantly translate SPEECH

dude wanted a universal translator from star trek, and thought CIG was in the position to deliver what would probably be one of the most important inventions in human history for their game :)

Okay, now you're just joshin' me

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist
Shyamalan reveal: B'Tak is Toblerone Triangular!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Star Citizen - Lowered Expectations

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

in no time, we are going to have star citizen AI that can talk to us every 5 seconds in a shrill voice so we wont have to us a friend to roleplay that anymore

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

kingcom posted:

Yes, he also suggested it wouldnt be a huge thing to set up. B'tak is either the longest con in goon history or is loving insane.

Anyone has the link to this by chance?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Danknificent posted:

Ben just tweeted some Russian Wing Commander novels

help me guys
Must be quality. A couple of decades ago someone in Russia literally published their text LP of the original X-Com as a sci-fi novel titled Enemy Unknown.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
The combined wealth of knowledge available here to quickly and efficiently call CIG on their latest bullshit is astounding. Within 12 hours of the garage door lie being posted (and multiple thread details) we had the make and model and an estimated price. Bravo, folks.

Gonna be weird when this poo poo collapses and everyone scatters to other threads. We need someone to take up the hilariously over the top scam mantle when this thread ends.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
i can't

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Lets see how many twitch users are streaming tonight.

10, that's 11 million dollars and change per stream. That's terrible.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Lime Tonics posted:

Lets see how many twitch users are streaming tonight.

10, that's 11 million dollars and change per stream. That's terrible.

making the game actually playable and then fun to play would be a step in the right direction

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

Tortolia posted:

The combined wealth of knowledge available here to quickly and efficiently call CIG on their latest bullshit is astounding. Within 12 hours of the garage door lie being posted (and multiple thread details) we had the make and model and an estimated price. Bravo, folks.

Gonna be weird when this poo poo collapses and everyone scatters to other threads. We need someone to take up the hilariously over the top scam mantle when this thread ends.

we are going to have reunion threads in gbs

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Why make a themed office. why. just make a good game. by now they could've made a prototype open alpha of a single limited area space combat arena and tested the poo poo out of their controls and fun factor by now. come the gently caress on.

like, I think something like that can be made at the same cost as making your elevator doors look like a spaceship like an 11 year old. Think about it, like make a single sphere with ships in it and get the community to test it out, you don't even need to make the interiors just make the ships controllable with UI to test what's the best UI setup for their fighters.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 21, 2016

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
It is just mind boggling how 112000000 dollars was spent on this. People want the funding to go to a quarter of a billion dollars.

paaarp

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Tortolia posted:

We could take on Scientology, but they would probably murder us.

Well, Derek for sure.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Tortolia posted:

doesn't romero have something new in the pipeline or is that a crazy rumour

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I swear to god there is a screen cap of the B'TAK post. It stands out to me as one of the most insane things I've read on the RSI forums.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

alf_pogs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbDQSOmwA20

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

alf_pogs posted:

Yeah he and Adrian Carmack are joining up for something.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
There is also the rumoured Bethesda thing. Lots of stuff in the pipeline that could do enormous damage to SC.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

TTerrible posted:

There is also the rumoured Bethesda thing. Lots of stuff in the pipeline that could do enormous damage to SC.

Here's the biggie

this is 100% going the way of Digital Anvil. Roberts is an unstoppable juggernaut of waste and ruined product. Really curious what his fate will be if RSI or F42 are bought out

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Risc1911 posted:

Anyone has the link to this by chance?
This is as close as I can find on the forums as they exist now.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...anslation-comms

He obliquely mentions it in several threads.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i'm trying to find the translator code now, it's pretty lovely to search on RSI unfortunately.

BUT

I think I'm on the right trail...look at all this bullshit about a game that doesnt exist

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Diving into B'tak posts is maddening.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Shoulda had Romero in Skywalker's getup. Looking like a hermit would've been pretty accurate.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Fargin Icehole posted:

Shoulda had Romero in Skywalker's getup. Looking like a hermit would've been pretty accurate.

Well the one scene with Luke in Force Awakens was also filmed in Ireland.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Ghostlight posted:

Diving into B'tak posts is maddening.

MUST....feel...,grief

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

aaw he believes in magic

what a sweet charming little kid