Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Saw some pretty cool stuff at the San Diego Safari Park this weekend.

A Tiger with its Kill
by Sneeze Party, on Flickr

Gorillas Playing Together

Meerkat Sitting in Meditation

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
That meerkat rules

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
Went to the St. Louis Zoo over the weekend.

Untitled by Ryan Sees What, on Flickr

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Two more from the STL Zoo.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I love both shots of the Polar Bear. How long did you hang out at the enclosure to get those? My wife is always in such a hurry to see the next thing.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Protip: Go by yourself.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I scattered a den of Carolina anoles while working on my roof this week. This one went from brown to green pretty fast when it got out into the sun.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sneeze Party posted:

I love both shots of the Polar Bear. How long did you hang out at the enclosure to get those? My wife is always in such a hurry to see the next thing.

Thanks. Checking the timestamps from my first shot to last, I'd say about 25 minutes. Luckily, Kali (the polar bear) was pretty energetic, so my girlfriend and our two other friends with us were happy to hang and watch for awhile. But going alone would also work well. What I was pleased about was that all of my shots of Kali were viewed through a glass barrier. Have some bonus Kali photos.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Cheetahs playing. Unfortunately it was a quite dark/cloudy day.

Ika fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 12, 2016

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The texture of the wet polar bear fur and anole skin is fantastic.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Spotted this lil guy on my walk home from work the other day.

This is the first half decent non-smartphone picture I've ever taken. Just got my a6000 a couple weeks ago and haven't had much time to get out. I'm super thrilled with how it turned out for how little experience I have :shobon:

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I went to the mouth of the Mad River to see if the seals had pups yet. They didn't.

seal-colony by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

seal-surface by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Some rowdy Caspian Terns were fighting above the seal colony.

tern-chase by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Like those photos.

Talking about the title of this thread, would a 230mm lens (345mm equiv) be enough range to take photos of bears (in national parks, not zoos) without getting too close?

e: Not while solo hiking, either from a vehicle or with a group of people hiking.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
What kind of bears and are they in an environment where they're used to humans? That's more than fine for the black bears that live around here and wander around the golf course (hell 70mm is usually enough for those) but I'd stay a lot further away from Grizzlies or bears that live in more remote locations.

Either way, the answer is yes, but your shots of black bears would likely be a lot more closeup than shots of grizzlies.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Something like grizzlies in yellowstone was what I was specifically thinking about.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Then yeah, you won't get any closeups, you'll want bigger range than that, but you should be able to get some decent-ish far-off shots with that kind of range.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
New Zealand Fur Seals by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

New Zealand Fur Seal by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Anarkii posted:

Like those photos.

Talking about the title of this thread, would a 230mm lens (345mm equiv) be enough range to take photos of bears (in national parks, not zoos) without getting too close?

e: Not while solo hiking, either from a vehicle or with a group of people hiking.

I used a Nikon 70-300 for these from inside a truck at the side of the road, these were up in Yukon/northern BC:

@70mm
Grizzly and cubs by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

@145mm
Grizzly Cub by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

@165mm
Black Bear by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

@300mm
Black Bear by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Black bears don't give a gently caress, but I would never want to be any closer to a momma grizzly with cubs than we were despite being in a Ram 3500 with the driver ready to take off if the bears seemed even slightly agitated

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know, a Ram 3500 might not be fast enough.

Probably need a Ferrari to be sure.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Red Canyon mulies-1367 on Flickr

Red Canyon mulies-1374 on Flickr

CHG male sage grouse vocal sacs-1293 on Flickr

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Nature is so drat weird.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Muskrat by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Pretty happy with how this turned out:

Another angle where he looks like a real smug motherfucker:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
My Sigma 150-500 is dead as gently caress and out of warranty. So I'm actually sort of excited to have a reason for getting a new toy.

Is the newer Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary the current "king of budget telephoto" lens? There's also the Tamron 150-600, but surprisingly people seem a lot happier with the Sigma. The Sports version looks mighty nice, but I can't see myself trekking about and holding that thing for a few hours.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Mango Polo posted:

My Sigma 150-500 is dead as gently caress and out of warranty. So I'm actually sort of excited to have a reason for getting a new toy.

Is the newer Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary the current "king of budget telephoto" lens? There's also the Tamron 150-600, but surprisingly people seem a lot happier with the Sigma. The Sports version looks mighty nice, but I can't see myself trekking about and holding that thing for a few hours.

Not sure if your using Canon or Nikon but I just got the Nikon 200-500 and love it, the sharpness is amazing and worth the extra cost if you can swing it.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Not sure if your using Canon or Nikon but I just got the Nikon 200-500 and love it, the sharpness is amazing and worth the extra cost if you can swing it.

I do use a Nikon! So something new did come out while I wasn't paying attention, excellent.

It loses a bit of range compared to the new Sigma, but I rarely had that as an issue with my old one so it's not a bad thing.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Mango Polo posted:

I do use a Nikon! So something new did come out while I wasn't paying attention, excellent.

It loses a bit of range compared to the new Sigma, but I rarely had that as an issue with my old one so it's not a bad thing.

I posted some stuff with it in the bird thread, only down side so far is it doesn't like birds that are far away against blue sky on my body.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I think this one turned out alright, turning on a dime.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wyoming...

Young mule deer Dubois-3709 on Flickr

Ram face Dubois-3839 on Flickr

Rams Dubois-3846 on Flickr

Ridge rams Dubois-4506 on Flickr

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

That's awesome. The muted colors make it look like a painting.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I love what you did in post.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! I didn't do much- the sheep were high up a ridge with some falling snow in between. Definitely one of my favorites from the day.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Turns out the Sigma 150-600 (S) and the Nikon 200-500 are about the same price in Europe, making the choice difficult again.

I'll swing by a shop tonight to hold both and see how the weights feel, but seems like in terms of AF the Sigma wins out, and birds in flight sure love to gently caress up my focus.

e. jesus christ the Sigma S is heavy

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 1, 2016

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Sleeping Squirrel by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
awwwwww :3:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I found a bear yesterday

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

InternetJunky posted:

I found a bear yesterday

Sweet. exif?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

torgeaux posted:

Sweet. exif?

No, grizzly.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

torgeaux posted:

Sweet. exif?
That's weird, I thought I was exporting the files with the exif data. Anyway: Canon 1DX, f/5.6, 1/500, ISO 800, 420mm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I woulda done it with my 10-22.