Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Anything I should do before heading into NG+? I got all the bosses and areas and poo poo.

Still need 30 vertebrae and 30 ears, otherwise I'm good on covenants...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Poison: loving lol
Bleed: If you wanted to inflict bleed you'd just use one of the weapons that already has it, but from what I've heard bleed is bad in this game. Not as bad as poison though.
Simple & Blessed: I have no idea why these were included. They make your weapon terrible but restore HP/FP at a pitiful rate. So the best way to use them is to just switch to one to top off your missing HP/FP or sit still for 5 minutes to go back to full from nothing. Its stupid and scummy.
Hollow: Builds that scale off luck are just a silly gimmick, and inferior to just using a real weapon with actual stats

I just don't see why they would put in so many useless infusions but not include the one that was actually pretty drat useful for sorcerers, as it gave them a way to inflict some solid physical damage against enemies that resist magic.

Your information is pretty wrong, dude.

Aside from the fact that Enchanted was virtually worthless (even at high Int leaving a weapon uninfused or making it raw would give you more AR) outside of the MLGS, Bleed is insanely good in this game. Simple is kinda dumb but blessed is a good as a way of giving you a decent source of physical damage on a pure faith build. Hollow is also quite good, as it also lets you get good damage out of weapons while also letting you pump luck for better bleed/poison. Poison is pretty garbage, though, on account of how slow they made it again.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

there's a trophy for finding it but you don't have to actually do anything else with it for platinum. you can grind out of covenant item on silver knights for the spell you need, tho that's horrible in its own way

It's a shame when a covenant is so busted that grinding out ear drops at the rate of 1 per 30 minutes is actually faster than trying to take part in the covenant itself. Please patch in ear drops from invading as a Darkmoon, FROM :pray:

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

Buck Turgidson posted:

I played through mostly shieldless using a variety of weapons, big and small. Brigand Axe, Lucerne, Great Club, Dragon's Tooth, and one of the boss soul weapons (a big club). Some of the fights in the mid to late game are pretty difficult if you use a big weapon and no shield, because you don't have heaps of time to punish attacks and roll away. But when you do hit, you hit absurdly hard, and a lot of bosses will have some form of stagger that lets you get off one to two charged counter R2s, which will do huge amounts of damage. I think I would struggle in NG+ and beyond where trading blows is more tricky or impossible. You'd have to be a lot more patient and really know the boss attack patterns.

This is encouraging, and I don't bother with NG+ anyway, so no worries there. I consider shieldless the True Way to play Dark Souls, so I'm keen to finish up my dirty dirty shield user and going for it.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Edit: double post.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Really annoying thing about the Darkmoon Covenant is that the 2 attunement ring is locked behind it.

Genocyber posted:

Your information is pretty wrong, dude.

Aside from the fact that Enchanted was virtually worthless (even at high Int leaving a weapon uninfused or making it raw would give you more AR) outside of the MLGS, Bleed is insanely good in this game. Simple is kinda dumb but blessed is a good as a way of giving you a decent source of physical damage on a pure faith build. Hollow is also quite good, as it also lets you get good damage out of weapons while also letting you pump luck for better bleed/poison. Poison is pretty garbage, though, on account of how slow they made it again.

Well I stand corrected. I seriously thought enchanted was fine on weapon that had low base damage though? At least I remember getting good use out of it but I never tired raw so that may have been better.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
You can grab a white soapstone and the red orb without clearing High Wall. Embers are definitely locatable

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Alabaster White posted:

It's a shame when a covenant is so busted that grinding out ear drops at the rate of 1 per 30 minutes is actually faster than trying to take part in the covenant itself. Please patch in ear drops from invading as a Darkmoon, FROM :pray:

they should also increase the drop rate because wtf

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
It's weird the different ways people play this game. I was sunbro'ing for Dancer, a boss that easily gets more difficult the more people you add and this host just insists on getting +3 people, and sits around while summons fail. Then a dark phantom invades and immediately sprints the other way.

I trade pot shots with him and my crappy bow while the hosts continues to wait. A purple phantom invades and now we have 3 different color phantoms shooting arrows at eachother, pointlessly.

Host finally finds a 3rd sunbro. We zone in and he instantly dies to a very easily avoidable dancer combo. Dark Souls.

Anyway, consumed king is kicking the poo poo out of me in P2. Who put this Bloodbourne boss in my Dark Souls?? He even sounds like Ludwig.

Little Ocellotte...

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Calaveron posted:

Why is the AW killing itself?

One or more of:

- There's only one Lord of Cinder essence, and all the rest are vulnerable to hollowing and losing their marbles.
- They've planted themselves firmly in the path of the Abyss, and its red-eye infection has claimed some of the ones that are not, at any given time, a Host of Cinder.

Personally I figure it's both - once they worked out that their collective solution had negative side effects, and that the other Lords of Cinder weren't going to come have a go at fixing things, they locked themselves up in Farron Keep to block the Abyss as long as possible. Which might not have been much longer even without PC intervention; the Darkwraiths are besieging the AW bastion and bits of Dark are already inside the order itself.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Oh man, and here I thought New Game Plus wouldn't have much in the way of multiplayer!

I was in Irithyl of the Boreal Valley. I just crossed the bridge, and as soon as I pass the barrier I get invaded. Because I am nothing if not whimsical, I start off laying down and soon the invading spirit joins me. Then we both do a few more gestures and play around a bit and while that's happening I summon more dark spirits because what the hell. Then he attacks, we fight, and I kill him, and just as I do one of the other dark spirits I summoned show up. So we play around with gestures for a while more. Then the other dark spirit arrives and I play around with him two. Then the two dark spirits start dueling each other, and while they're dueling each other I run around them like some maniac referee. One of them kills the other, and while the survivor does some kneeling gesture, I get around and stab his weakened rear end in the back, killing him.

I guess that counts as me taking on three guys at once? :D

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

Viperix posted:

I'm also wondering if a pure sorcerer is viable for the same reasons. There are some bosses you simply have no time to blink, let alone get a spell or heavy attack off.

I've only been up to the end of Catacombs before I rebooted my sorceror, but for a given value of 'pure' it works. On trash mobs there's no reason not to use your basic melee of choice. On harder mobs I use my biggest nukes to open and again a second time if they run at me, followed by Magic Weapon'd melee or Farron Flashsword, depending on what I have slotted. For faster bosses I mix a lower-ranked soul arrow and farron, mook bosses get the fire stream pyromancy and soul greatsword, slow bosses get my biggest nuke from range.

You do need more points in int to feel like you're getting the same return as str/dex builds would, and I've never felt like I had a perfect versatile loadout that worked for everything, but it is viable.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

After helping Anri, I got really good at dodging those arrows to the point where I'd try baiting him into using it on me. Then he never did it during my actual runthrough :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Dancer would be a easy boss if it wasn't for the fact her grab reaches across the whole room and one shots you.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You don't get any drops our souls from the villagers you kill in the tree fight, right?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Internet Kraken posted:

You don't get any drops our souls from the villagers you kill in the tree fight, right?

Wrong! You get souls, but no drops.

Which makes it very sad when the tree breaks the floor before a proper second wave of reinforcements. :v:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

One or more of:

- There's only one Lord of Cinder essence, and all the rest are vulnerable to hollowing and losing their marbles.
- They've planted themselves firmly in the path of the Abyss, and its red-eye infection has claimed some of the ones that are not, at any given time, a Host of Cinder.

Personally I figure it's both - once they worked out that their collective solution had negative side effects, and that the other Lords of Cinder weren't going to come have a go at fixing things, they locked themselves up in Farron Keep to block the Abyss as long as possible. Which might not have been much longer even without PC intervention; the Darkwraiths are besieging the AW bastion and bits of Dark are already inside the order itself.

I also like the idea that thematically the various Lords of Cinder represent different types of Dark Souls players drawn in broad strokes: the Abyss Watchers are forestbros and fight clubbers, Aldrich is a powergamer and hostile invader who kills everybody, Yhorm is a treasure collector and completionist, the Princes are jolly cooperators, and Ludleth is a lorehead/sage who prefers talking about the game to playing it.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The Dancer would be a easy boss if it wasn't for the fact her grab reaches across the whole room and one shots you.

Yeah, the Dancer is the one boss I found easier on the second phase because she loses that grab when she pulls out her second sword.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Does anyone know if there's a fix for the problem where summoned phantoms can't enter the boss room with you?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I'm not very far in the story, only took down the Lord of Cinder of Farron Keep, but I like how Ludleth the exiled is basically "Well, I AM called the exiled, but look at me now!"

Shingouryu
Feb 15, 2012
Good lord do casters suck against Aldrich. 42 Int and Soul Spear was doing ~170 with younger, bellowing, and magic clutch rings+crown of dusk which also made me weak to magic so his big magic missile thing one shot me. To put him down, I needed to allot seven ashen estus and hit with all but 3 of my soul spears. Even then, when I killed him my moment of triumph was interrupted by being killed by arrows, so I was teleported to the next boss arena, got the speech cutscene and promptly died. Got to go retrieve my souls thankfully.

Speaking of the next boss, I got Dancer down to a sliver of health, launched the killing soul spear, and it hit the chair next to me and disappeared... Then I died horribly.

Other than that though, I'm to the point where sorcery is actually starting to feel powerful, and I like it. This game is rad.

Shingouryu fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 21, 2016

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i just got ganked by 2 separate instances of five-man gank squads

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Uhhh wow I didn't realize how badly the Deep Battle Axe fucks Vordt up. My 10+ deaths on him the first time were put to shame, he couldn't even do anything this time. Poor bastard.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Finished the game tonight. The story is very confusing in this one. Hopefully the DLC clears some of it up(especially Untended Graves and the "angels" in Lothric Castle.

By the way, what does the 2nd lever(one between 2 bookshelves) in Grand Archives do? I was distracted for a sec and missed it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Think I'm gonna start over as something other than a faith based knight. I infused my claymore with a blessed gem to add faith damage scaling, which rules, but so far every miracle outside of healing miracles suck, and I'm already to Irithyl. Does it just continue to say "gently caress anything remotely offensive"?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The partial spoilers drive me insane. Just black out the whole sentence bro.

http://plays.tv/video/5718429641c4d8c5f5/dark-souls-3-is-a-fucker

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

ShadowMar posted:

i just got ganked by 2 separate instances of five-man gank squads

how many of them recreated this though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m-i2f7-p8A

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The ice knights are super fun to fight with the slow as gently caress, 2-inch-range fist weapons of DARK SOULS III.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I also like the idea that thematically the various Lords of Cinder represent different types of Dark Souls players drawn in broad strokes: the Abyss Watchers are forestbros and fight clubbers, Aldrich is a powergamer and hostile invader who kills everybody, Yhorm is a treasure collector and completionist, the Princes are jolly cooperators, and Ludleth is a lorehead/sage who prefers talking about the game to playing it.

I like this because if nothing else this game definitely seems like it's kind of the most meta of them all, especially with how a lot of its design seems to be based around just loving with players expectations from the rest of the series and specifically counteracting usual player behavior.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Nothing like losing 160k souls because your bloodstain just doesn't have them. Guess it's my fault for trying sunbro invading one time.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

turtlecrunch posted:

The ice knights are super fun to fight with the slow as gently caress, 2-inch-range fist weapons of DARK SOULS III.

Stick with the shortsword. I used it after starting with a big war axe and now I swear by it. It's just so fast and versatile.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I already beat the game on that character (and deleted it immediately after), I was just reminded of it because of NTT's video.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Why even play Dark Souls if you're doing it with two invincible phantoms?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
For some reason, whenever I warp to a different area now, I get the four little status meters (poison, bleed, frostbite, whatever) popping up on my screen for a few seconds. They all start off slightly full and tick down within seconds of spawning, but I have no idea what's causing it.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I was hoping Aldrich would be what he is in the trailer, but holy gently caress what a disgusting piece of poo poo monster that wouldnt even be fit to live in a garbage compactor. Sheesh.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
I bluecopped into an area with a bunch of dead Lothric Knights and found the Host of Embers cosplay camouflaged as one, sitting slumped on the ground. "Neat, one of those coolguys who lures in phantoms on purpose," I thought, as his buddy, also disguised as a dead Knight, stood up behind me and stabbed me in the back

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FallenGod posted:

Nothing like losing 160k souls because your bloodstain just doesn't have them. Guess it's my fault for trying sunbro invading one time.

try 679k souls

a ha ha, i should have bone homed instead of using an ember in the dungeon..

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
There's no catalyst that's special is to use the weapon art of whatever you have in your other hand, right?

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Lester Shy posted:

For some reason, whenever I warp to a different area now, I get the four little status meters (poison, bleed, frostbite, whatever) popping up on my screen for a few seconds. They all start off slightly full and tick down within seconds of spawning, but I have no idea what's causing it.

Are you wearing rings that boost resistances or other stats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Internet Kraken posted:

There's no catalyst that's special is to use the weapon art of whatever you have in your other hand, right?

Pretty sure every staff is chant except for storyteller, which lets you fart on people.