Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Snak posted:

That's not the point? I'm not talking about it making the game hard, I'm talking about how the game and the player interact.

Oh,game kills you, you eat the effigy or equip a ring.

It's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Tenzarin posted:

DS3 is the new game, expect people to defend it religiously. Better than the crap that was bloodborne but still not as good as ds2.

I don't know that I've ever seen anybody express this viewpoint before

corn in the bible posted:

itt people forget you get a ring that stops you losing most of your health in demons souls

Dark Souls 1 actually had the harshest death penalty because iirc there was no Cling Ring equivalent, which existed in both Demon's and Dark 2

Of course it made up for this by having it be real easy to farm humanity (you could even get liquid humanity to do so from just killing any mob) and in a lot of ways Dark Souls was actually the easiest game in the entire five game franchise

They're all good games tbqh, with different strengths and failings, but I still think the first DkS is my favorite

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lizard Wizard posted:

well guys, i got art academy: lessons for everyone. here's my cherry.

it's a bit poo poo :blush:

Not bad. then again, I suck rear end at art.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

john romero update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbDQSOmwA20

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

That's not the point? I'm not talking about it making the game hard, I'm talking about how the game and the player interact.

I think the point people are making is "default" vs "changed"
DaS2 is a max health reduction of 5% up to 50%. But you're saying that embered in DaS3 is a bonus. Seems disingenuous to compare a positive spin on a positive to a negative spin on a negative.

For fairness, you'd have to compare the max health for embered to the max health for restored humanity. In that instance, the "bonus" isn't actually a bonus. On the other hand, comparing the hollowed status to the unembered status means DaS2 is more forgiving unless you're bad at not dying, then DaS3 is better, because it has less % for deaths 1-5, but same or more for 6+

For what it's worth, you couldn't get past the tutorial/prologue in Demon's Souls without dying(in a most spectacular fashion, if you're good), and you didn't start out with the HP ring, so "default" HP was 50% of being alive. Or, if you spin it, being alive is 200% health increase.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Whenever someone says Dark Souls 2 is worse than DS1 I associate them with this video and want to punch them really hard.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Please don't hairstyle shame Matt Lees.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hello everyone. I just now discovered Crypt of the Necrodancer (I've heard the name for a while but never took the time to look it up) and it is awesome. And hard.

The soundtrack is dope as hell, but being able to put in custom music means I was soon slaying monsters to Nicki Minaj

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
is anyone going to pick up The Technomancer ? I played Mars: War Logs which was an ok but flawed game. this one looks kinda cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qiia9r6Rrk

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

Hello everyone. I just now discovered Crypt of the Necrodancer (I've heard the name for a while but never took the time to look it up) and it is awesome. And hard.

The soundtrack is dope as hell, but being able to put in custom music means I was soon slaying monsters to Nicki Minaj

Only thing is finding songs with strong, prominent beats that are also consistent.

But the warbling merchant is the maybe the best part about the stock soundtrack: Freddie Merchantry

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

Bleh
I need to see something good about the fighting game community.

From a few pages back but the fg community is one of the most inclusive gaming communities for race/gender. Obviously since it's a gaming community it's not a high standard to pass and it's mostly good on the race front. But if I recall correctly there's a pro trans player?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Nasgate posted:

From a few pages back but the fg community is one of the most inclusive gaming communities for race/gender. Obviously since it's a gaming community it's not a high standard to pass and it's mostly good on the race front. But if I recall correctly there's a pro trans player?

The fg community is generally great about that kind of thing. They just also tend to be really bad about sportsmanship and are probably the ragiest gamers outside FPS's.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I am so excited for this. Romero's new doom map shows he still has it.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

bloodychill posted:

The fg community is generally great about that kind of thing. They just also tend to be really bad about sportsmanship and are probably the ragiest gamers outside FPS's.

This is kind of expected though, in my experience fighting games cause anger even when prize money or pride isn't on the line.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nasgate posted:

Ricki Ortiz rules
sassy emo hair flips after every round ftw.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mistle posted:

I think the point people are making is "default" vs "changed"
DaS2 is a max health reduction of 5% up to 50%. But you're saying that embered in DaS3 is a bonus. Seems disingenuous to compare a positive spin on a positive to a negative spin on a negative.

For fairness, you'd have to compare the max health for embered to the max health for restored humanity. In that instance, the "bonus" isn't actually a bonus. On the other hand, comparing the hollowed status to the unembered status means DaS2 is more forgiving unless you're bad at not dying, then DaS3 is better, because it has less % for deaths 1-5, but same or more for 6+

I understand that this is the point of confusion.

It feels like you are thinking of it in terms of "the game penalizes you for being bad by reducing your health" and just view the different systems as varied implementations of that concept. In some ways, that's correct, but the "being bad" part is very different. Dark Souls 2's small penalty only really punishes you for repeated death. In contrast, I feel that Dark Souls 3 rewards you for being able to stay alive. The behavior that is being punished is different.

When the player is dying frequently, consistency is beneficial to learning. When your health is reduced with each failure, the number of hits you can take before dying does not remain consistent while you are learning the area or the enemies. When the player's health remains constant with each attempt, they learn to work the specific amount of health they have. Then when you get "bonus health" you can try to protect it by using everything you've learned keep from dying.

Consumables that restore humanity/ember also impact the experience. While DS2 has incremental health penalties, you can still only summon when you are fully human. This means there are situations where you will use an effigy to regain your ability to summon when your HP penalty is negligible. This goes against the natural idea of coping with your health penalty and using effigies only when your penalty is very large.

Neither of these systems present any problems for experienced players. Once you have a reasonable grasp on the mechanics of hollowing/effigy/ember usage and how it relates to health and summoning, and the availability of effigies and embers, it's just something you work with.

The way that these systems impact inexperienced players is much more important. These games are really good at showing you how to play them. They give you weapons and skills with obviously applications and then confront you with enemies that challenge your instincts and make you apply your tools correctly.

An inexperienced player who dies a lot in Dark Souls 2 is constantly penalized for dying. This is the way that's presented. At the beginning of the game their health bar is a certain length, and it gets shorter each time they die, until it is half its original length. At any point they can use an effigy to return to full health. For a player who dies a lot, the game becomes significantly more difficult with half health, so there is a natural incentive to use effigies. If low health is making them die, they will want to use effigies every few deaths. In terms of health, one death carries a low penalty.

In Dark Souls 3, and inexperienced player who dies a lot will not see any health penalties for any of their deaths until they beat the first boss. Then they receive a health increase. The next time they die, they will be back to what they consider their original health. There is a natural incentive to use embers to get the bonus back if they die. If low health is making them die, they will want to use embers every death. This is far less sustainable, and only ends with the player either learning to stay alive while embered so as not to lose the ember, or running out of embers and being force to adapt to playing unembered.

The reason that I call the first one a penalty and the second one a bonus is because the first one penalizes you each time you die, and the second one penalizes you the first time you die. You can't directly compare health numbers, but I feel that DS2 at half health is much more difficult than DS3 at unembered health. This is important to the argument, because otherwise both games just have a low health and a high health and you go down by dying and up by using a consumable. DS3 expects you to beat its first boss at the low health. DS2 gives you a chance to beat its first boss at high health and the more you fail, the lower your health gets.

I think if the games were balanced differently and DS3 at unembered health and DS2 at max penalty felt the same, the mechanics would be a lot more similar, but they don't.

tl;dr: DS2 is much harder at half health than DS3 is unembered, so DS2 penalizes inexperienced/unskilled players more.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

They should have done the Picard-Shatner scene from Generations where Romero is chopping wood, and the guy is trying to convince Romero to come back and save Doom because the people need him.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

The worst Elder Scrolls...

Arena is really bad. Redguard too if you count that

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

No, it's Morrowind.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

I am so excited for this. Romero's new doom map shows he still has it.
I'm curious to see how he handles a much smaller scale of production than his past FPS projects. No more skyscrapers for you!

It's also fascinating to see Adrian Carmack again. He's always been quieter than the rest of the Old Id Folks, and he outright vanished from the games industry (give or take a hidden object game) after Doom 3.

Yeah, this is what killed Morrowind for me. :(

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

gotta skill your points properly, fam

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

It's also fascinating to see Adrian Carmack again.

Especially without the mullet

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Don't worry friends. When Skywind comes out in 2025, we will all be playing together in the sun. Or, more realistically, the shadowy damp corner of our basements.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

this is kind of funny but it's a stupid "point" bc the guy in the video has 5 weapon skill which is less than you have starting the game in most cases and is clearly only not being instantly killed bc of godmode or something

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I beat a Dark Souls 3 boss in only two tries instead of like 20. It was the tree boss and 'm guessing he's considered really easy but it was still cool. It took me at least 15 tries to beat the fast frost knight guy guarding the way to the Road of Sacrifice though

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Adam Bowen posted:

I beat a Dark Souls 3 boss in only two tries instead of like 20. It was the tree boss and 'm guessing he's considered really easy but it was still cool. It took me at least 15 tries to beat the fast frost knight guy guarding the way to the Road of Sacrifice though

Tree boss is toughish depending on build because his little glands get hard to hit later in the fight

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Tree boss is toughish depending on build because his little glands get hard to hit later in the fight

You don't have to hit those, you can also get the arm.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I love reading people gushing about Dark Souls games

No sarcasm intended. Those games are very special to me and it makes me happy that they're special to other people too

Dark Souls: 503 hours
Dark Souls II: 394 hours
Dark Souls II: SotFS: 87 hours
Dark Souls III: 61 hours and counting!

Wow!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The small soapstone in DS2 was an easy and fairly reliable way to remove the death penalty, and there is no equivalent in DS1 or 3.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

You don't have to hit those, you can also get the arm.

Yeah, the fight went from very difficult to very easy when I realized this. I did this boss way late, after killing at least three other bosses before coming back to him.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I have a question about MGS4. Does Snake ever eat the eggs?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
i did not have a very good day today, but I know my day will be better soon and I hope that everybody else has had a good day today or a day that is getting better

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

FirstAidKite posted:

i did not have a very good day today, but I know my day will be better soon and I hope that everybody else has had a good day today or a day that is getting better

I had a pretty bad day too :respek: but then I smoked a whole bunch of weed and played dark souls for several hours. I'd recommend.

Lenore03
Apr 22, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

I have a question about MGS4. Does Snake ever eat the eggs?

It's really bizarre that a war vet like Snake can't eat a maybe slightly overcooked egg to appease Sunny. With all the smokes he consumes I doubt it's really because of cholesterol

Anyone playing Stephen's Sausage Fest? Was on the verge of tears after finishing the meat tower.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

I had a pretty bad day too :respek: but then I smoked a whole bunch of weed and played dark souls for several hours. I'd recommend.

I dont smoke weed and dont have a computer that can run dark souls, so instead I played more of borderlands. I think I'm on the last mission of the main game, haven't touched any of the dlc stuff yet tho

mostly I'm just sore because I had a nasty grand mal seizure about 12 hours ago and my muscles are still tense as gently caress, but atl east i"m finally on medication to combat the seizures.

seizures fuckin suck

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What was the first game with New Game+? The earliest one I can think of is Chrono Trigger.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

FirstAidKite posted:

I dont smoke weed and dont have a computer that can run dark souls, so instead I played more of borderlands. I think I'm on the last mission of the main game, haven't touched any of the dlc stuff yet tho

mostly I'm just sore because I had a nasty grand mal seizure about 12 hours ago and my muscles are still tense as gently caress, but atl east i"m finally on medication to combat the seizures.

seizures fuckin suck

My dog starting having seizures a little over a month ago. It was really intense and pretty scary and also a bit weird since he's nearly 16 years old. He's on meds now that are doing the trick but there was a long week where he was so sore he couldn't get up and down off the couch or beds without help.

Speaking of those meds, the bright side (other than helping with seizures obviously) in my experience is that even though the sedation kinda sucks, they otherwise feel nice. Mild euphoria, that sorta thing. Gotta look for the silver lining.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Hell yeah, a new Daikatana would be better than the new Doom.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am in the middle of a bad day

I will not be when I go home and buy Revelator so I can play the demo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Old Daikatana might end up being better than new Doom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal