Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

I dont understand why nobody went "No, Aldrich, no. You cannot eat people."

This could've been prevented

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAZGMxCfak4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Yeah I know, was hoping for more tentacle covered pile of goo rather than a meat slug with various bones and stuff poking out. Meat slug is loving disgusting, especially since he used to be just a rando dude, and I hate it. I wanted tar monster

maybe......humans r the rel monster.. ? just food 4 thot. have a blessed day

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Robo Reagan posted:

I get the distinct impression that everyone is either an insane cultist, hollowed, or hollowing so most of them are already dead anyway

Well you meet some human drangleic warriors, presumably the last ones. The drang weapons and armor just kind of suggests they hosed off from drangleic after noticing that everything was going to hell.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nuebot posted:

Well you meet some human drangleic warriors, presumably the last ones. The drang weapons and armor just kind of suggests they hosed off from drangleic after noticing that everything was going to hell.

I'm assuming in an act akin to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KlSuGNt8e4

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I have an alt problem I haven't even finished my run with my silly stupid Luck Knight and I already want to try other stuff. Despite all that I've heard about how miracles are mediocre I still want to try out a faith heavy build. I know I wont get to faceroll the game with lightning like I did in vanilla DS2 but it was still lots of fun.

I'm thinking I'll also ditch a shield and try to be a real man for once so some kind of meaty two-hander weapon would be cool...

Magic isn't bad in this game, it just has a different soft cap of 60 (int for sorceries, faith for miracles, combined for pyromancies/dark) compared to str/dex having a soft cap of 40. They just require a very heavy stat investment to be anything other than a sometimes thing (outside of pyromancies which are lol-bonkers from the word go).

Also, Miracles are kinda frustrating due to how late you find the real damage-inducing stuff. It's all heals/utility early game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's real cool trying to dodge parry animations that never come, turning it into a game of idiots flailing at air.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I have an alt problem I haven't even finished my run with my silly stupid Luck Knight and I already want to try other stuff. Despite all that I've heard about how miracles are mediocre I still want to try out a faith heavy build. I know I wont get to faceroll the game with lightning like I did in vanilla DS2 but it was still lots of fun.

I'm thinking I'll also ditch a shield and try to be a real man for once so some kind of meaty two-hander weapon would be cool...

I'm currently running a faithbuild right now, Its somewhat slow and supporty till you get lightning weapon, then you kick everything rear end in. (I was around 35 faith when I got it)

Lightning stake can be got pretty early and pretty easy, and hits like a truck if you can time its usage right. I went no-shield and saint's bident for a weapon, with a refined infusion I lucked off the blue redeye guy outside the cathedral across vordt. (its still not very good but its reqs are low so I can pump more faith)

Im past 40 faith now and I got lightning spear part 2 so I'm hoping I'll start ramping up soon

also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ66OfQ-Yo8

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also are the mobs actually hollowed out player characters? I laughed when they started chucking lloyd's talismans at me and chugging estus

No, undead enemies have always been able to use estus. Even some of the very basic undead warriors back in DS1's burgh could do it. The talismans are a nasty trick, though.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also are the mobs actually hollowed out player characters? I laughed when they started chucking lloyd's talismans at me and chugging estus

No? Some hollows are just smarter than others and remember to heal/how to throw stuff.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Man I'm in the area past the dancer and what the HELL are those things? Y'know. Those.

I'm assuming you're talking about the flying things. They're called "Pilgrim Butterflies" and are presumably what hatched out of the backs of all the dead pilgrims. What I really want to know (other than what the gently caress) is why the pilgrims were ordained to die and turn into those, yet carry shells on their back to keep back the growth (you see twigs poking out). Maybe they were trying to keep them from hatching until they reached Lothric? I really want more info on that stuff in the DLC.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Man it's such a shame Wolnir's Holy Sword is kind of crap. It doesn't even scale on Faith despite requiring it and the cool Wrath of the Gods on L2 doesn't either, supposedly it's just physical and scales with the sword.

The cherry on top is the stupid thing isn't even buffable either. :negative:

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Where are the Mushroom guys?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Carl Seitan posted:

Where are the Mushroom guys?

You can find their corpses in one of the zones, tucked away

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Man it's such a shame Wolnir's Holy Sword is kind of crap. It doesn't even scale on Faith despite requiring it and the cool Wrath of the Gods on L2 doesn't either, supposedly it's just physical and scales with the sword.

The cherry on top is the stupid thing isn't even buffable either. :negative:

that's what you get for trying to use something that isn't a starting weapon

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Operant posted:

So let me get this straight:

Fire is dying because Lothric is having an emo moment and refuses to link it. I mean, I understand, he was basically raised to link the fire, his dad has turned into a hosed up dragon monster, and his brother is crippled and mute. So a bell rings which wakes up a bunch of the old lords of cinder, who linked the flame in previous ages, but they decide to gently caress right the hell off except Ludleth, who probably knows something. A bunch of undead are woken up as well and tasked with getting the lords back to their thrones (in pieces).

In the meantime, the Abyss watchers murder themselves for some reason, Aldia and Sulyvahn establish a giant evil church over old Anor Londo and gently caress up/corrupt/eat most of the surviving old gods, and Yhorm sits a bunch.

Am I getting that right? What was up with Untended Graves? I still can't figure that out. The real firelink shrine is clearly in the real world - you can see Lothric from it. But there's also a version in the Kiln, and the dark version under Oceiros' room, which is impossible.

Also what was up with the serpentine darkness monsters that seemed to be possessing people? It's mentioned they are seeds of darkness, but that's all I got. They look kind of like serpents.

The fire is dying because everything dies, even the fire. The lords are indeed loving off, that is going without thrones, but honestly it's very possible they couldn't save the fire anyways. Individually, the Abyss Watchers are probably in a power struggle for total control over their lordship, Aldrich is eating people and gods in preparation for the coming age of darkness, Yhorn is I dunno a big baby or something, and Lothric might be either a coward or convinced that they can't save the fire. Only Ludleth really wants to make an honest go of linking the fires.

For Untended Graves, it's worth remembering that time and space get a little weird in Lordran/Drangleic/Lothric, and it seems especially so when the fire starts sputtering out. Both firelink shrines are real but Untended Graves is presumably Ludleth's world. since he knows what that firekeeper there saw.

The serpentine darkness stuff lines up pretty well with the rest of the poo poo the Abyss did to people in other games, so presumably it's Abyss poo poo. They'd fit right in at Oolacile.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I just realized that we could powerstance in drangleic, all the drang weapons are dual weapons that are powerstanced. Thats a really cool touch. drat

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TGLT posted:

The fire is dying because everything dies, even the fire. The lords are indeed loving off, that is going without thrones, but honestly it's very possible they couldn't save the fire anyways. Individually, the Abyss Watchers are probably in a power struggle for total control over their lordship, Aldrich is eating people and gods in preparation for the coming age of darkness, Yhorn is I dunno a big baby or something, and Lothric might be either a coward or convinced that they can't save the fire. Only Ludleth really wants to make an honest go of linking the fires.

For Untended Graves, it's worth remembering that time and space get a little weird in Lordran/Drangleic/Lothric, and it seems especially so when the fire starts sputtering out. Both firelink shrines are real but Untended Graves is presumably Ludleth's world. since he knows what that firekeeper there saw.

The serpentine darkness stuff lines up pretty well with the rest of the poo poo the Abyss did to people in other games, so presumably it's Abyss poo poo. They'd fit right in at Oolacile.

The first Dark Souls is pretty much the gods nudging all the undead on the path to becoming strong as gently caress so the one lucky poo poo that does make it can be used as fuel for the flame since gwen was almost spent, depending on how you interpret the lore. Also yeah, there's time travel alternate dimension fuckery going on. iirc Dark Souls 2 was also about time traveling to the past because the old hag in the beginning was the Emerald lady

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Covenant item drop rates are really low. :stare: I thought maybe I could just grind out covenant rewards that way but it doesn't look like that's happening either. It's probably just me being bitter about earlier but I hope the drop chance gets buffed some time in the future.

Robo Reagan posted:

iirc Dark Souls 2 was also about time traveling to the past because the old hag in the beginning was the Emerald lady

Where did you read that? I thought she was the fourth sister of the fire keepers, having left Lordran to point undead toward it. Their caretaker mentions how there used to be one more.

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 21, 2016

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I just realized that we could powerstance in drangleic, all the drang weapons are dual weapons that are powerstanced. Thats a really cool touch. drat

Yeah I love this, it's an extremely cool touch. Even the weapon pairs that don't specifically reference "Drang" stuff allude to this in their item descriptions

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Robo Reagan posted:

The first Dark Souls is pretty much the gods nudging all the undead on the path to becoming strong as gently caress so the one lucky poo poo that does make it can be used as fuel for the flame since gwen was almost spent, depending on how you interpret the lore. Also yeah, there's time travel alternate dimension fuckery going on. iirc Dark Souls 2 was also about time traveling to the past because the old hag in the beginning was the Emerald lady

Also you are fairly clearly the stranger who defeats the giant lord, who then goes nutso in the present and revives himself as the last giant, tears his own arm off and tries to sword fight you with it

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Big shocker. (Endgame spoilers) The final boss is mostly just another melee warrior dude. Woo. At least there's a mage in there possibly, and the melee weapons vary.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nuebot posted:

Also you are fairly clearly the stranger who defeats the giant lord, who then goes nutso in the present and revives himself as the last giant, tears his own arm off and tries to sword fight you with it

I legit can't tell if you're serious or not because I'm retarded and also that's just dumb/hilarious enough for me to want it to be true

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

RatHat posted:

By the way, what does the 2nd lever(one between 2 bookshelves) in Grand Archives do? I was distracted for a sec and missed it.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it moves a bookshelf near the first tub of wax to reveal a titanite slab.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wanting to use a harpe is one of the worst decisions you can make in this game. No good farming location for them and the droprate is abysmal :negative:

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Robo Reagan posted:

I legit can't tell if you're serious or not because I'm retarded and also that's just dumb/hilarious enough for me to want it to be true

Its completely true and its hilarious. Welcome to Dark souls! please toss your concept of linear time out the window on your way in.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Robo Reagan posted:

The flow of time itself is convoluted, with heroes centuries old phasing in and out.
The very fabric wavers, and relations shift and obscure.

Maybe the netcode's so lovely because it's simulating how hard it'd be to hit a guy phasing in and out of your reality. :haw:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Good feelings.

When you are wearing the deserters armor set and a +0 morningstar, summon a red sign for giggles, and force somebody using the magical hitbox Vordt hammer and Pursuer's shield to run away and black crystal out with most of your estus left.

The vast majority of the damage I took was from the apparent hitbox of the vordt heavy attack being a mile wide, but I got over that eventually. Still baffled I'm not the literal worst at darksouls.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

The flow of time itself is convoluted, with heroes centuries old phasing in and out.
The very fabric wavers, and relations shift and obscure.

yea but everything is hosed in the end no matter what you do. dark souls is a cool series with good life lessons

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Wanting to use a harpe is one of the worst decisions you can make in this game. No good farming location for them and the droprate is abysmal :negative:

Been there. It took me approximately 5 hours of pure farming to get it, no joke.

....and then it turns out it's a garbage weapon :smith::hf::smith:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Entropy is inevitable, but we're going to fight like hell to slow it.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Haha the Onikiri + Ubadachi is so fun. The two-handed R2 is anime as hell in the best way. Flying double ninja slices catch people off way off guard, the timing seems pretty good for punishing roll spam.

it sucks so bad when someone just starts swinging at you though because the hurtbox on that move extends all the way to the ground and it has no hyper armor

its like WOOO IM FLYING and then suddenly you get r1'd to death

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Been there. It took me approximately 5 hours of pure farming to get it, no joke.

....and then it turns out it's a garbage weapon :smith::hf::smith:

Would it make you feel better if I told you I randomly got one last night while making a dash from the bridge bonfire to the tree boss room, I smashed the red eye dude inside the house after the graveyard and he dropped it and then I just kept running.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm considering just going full retard and grabbing the Great Scythe to infuse with lightning for this faith based build I'm mulling over. Because nothing says anime weeb lord like wielding a scythe like a reaper of souls in the name of the lord. :black101:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mazerunner posted:

No, undead enemies have always been able to use estus. Even some of the very basic undead warriors back in DS1's burgh could do it. The talismans are a nasty trick, though.

Yeah I recall them doing it in 1 but didn't remember it really being a thing in 2 and I haven't seen it at all until 3 at this point so it caught me off guard :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have 11 dregs already but GDS will likely suck at 20 int so whatever. I'll probably move on into the dungeon tomorrow; the lag and broken animations are still pretty annoying.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah I recall them doing it in 1 but didn't remember it really being a thing in 2 and I haven't seen it at all until 3 at this point so it caught me off guard :v:

Some enemies could heal in BB too.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

okay, weird solution, but I hadn't been summoned as Darkmoon the whole game but suddenly I'm just waiting in Dragon Peak I've received 5 in a row.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

RBA Starblade posted:

I have 11 dregs already but GDS will likely suck at 20 int so whatever. I'll probably move on into the dungeon tomorrow; the lag and broken animations are still pretty annoying.

Some enemies could heal in BB too.

GDS is a rank 1 reward so you could get it now, I think.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Xenolalia posted:

okay, weird solution, but I hadn't been summoned as Darkmoon the whole game but suddenly I'm just waiting in Dragon Peak I've received 5 in a row.

I was trying to learn PvP and invasions the past two nights (Lvl 89), but was getting drowned in darkmoon counter-invasions in the catacombs and Champ Gung. Final area is probably a safe bet too.

Instead I shall remain bad at PvP and just co-op/PvE.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mazerunner posted:

GDS is a rank 1 reward so you could get it now, I think.

It is, but I mean I don't feel like going to grab it because it's useless at the level of Int I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

so the untended graves were clearly meant to show the player what the true cost of failure in their task would come down to. the entire "world" has turned black and lifeless and only the most desperate hollowed dregs find ways to cling to their unlife, in the unhollowed graves, the bell of awakening never went off, so the great unkindled summons never took place, and by the time gundyr had finally found firelink in this timeline it was already far too late - this timeline is dead and the age of dark is 100% complete. his whole purpose now is to take the bonfire sword and stab himself with it and hope that the transitory properties of the bonfire sword will pull him into another world on the brink of disaster, but a world that he can still change, and so he breaks the firepit blade off from the firelink shirine in his dead world and takes it back to his chamber and impales himself with it, hoping the next time someone comes around needing the bonfire sword, he'll wake up in a different world / time where there;s still time time to fix what went wrong, essentially he wants your player character to lose the first match at the beginning so that he can take the fire sword back and prove he is the worthy unkindled undeaded that will save the world.