Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Kaubocks posted:

Athena got 69 votes!

Nice

edit: gently caress I CAN'T BELIEVE IP AGE SNIPED WITH MY SEX NUMBER JOKE gently caress GOD drat poo poo HERE'S KAUBOCKS' AMAZING EFFORT POST FROM THE LAST PAGE:

Kaubocks posted:

The final vote is closed! That's right, my friends, it's the last choice to be made in the game. In retrospect I probably should have said something but, regardless, you all came out in full force to select your favorite characters! So let's go ahead and take a look at the results.

To start things off, there was one dangling plot thread you guys really wanted to know the resolution to. Why did Felix betray us? Was it purely out of greed, or was there more to it? Could him and the girls ever reconcile what happened and make amends? Even if it turns out he's just a dick... Even if we have to pay him with riches in the vault, his cunning plans could be a great help to us, and as a result Felix got 75 votes!

A plan is well and good but if we don't have battle expertise we won't make it out alive. We could recruit Zer0... but there's a different vault hunter we traveled with for quite a while. One who knows us. One who laid her life on the line just to protect us. That kind of attitude on Pandora is rare, and as a result Athena got 69 votes!

However, Athena made a promise to her girlfriend that she wouldn't risk her life in the vault hunting business anymore. Granted, it turns out she was lying, and Janey was understandably hurt about it. It would be rude of us to encourage this behavior and ask her to continue to operate behind Janey's back. ...that is, of course, unless we ask her girlfriend to come along with us so she can keep any eye on her, and as a result Janey got 63 votes!

Janey - 63
Felix - 75
August - 18
Cassius - 27
Zer0 - 38
Athena - 69

I'm sorry, Zer0, Cassius, and August. They just didn't quite make the cut. But you know what? It's ok. There are clearly people out there that support them and want to see what they bring to the table. Because of this, I'd like to announce that -- once the dust of battle settles and the LP is over -- I will make a bonus video showing off these three in action! Sadly I don't have the time or patience to record combinations of every team, but I hope you guys will enjoy the extra content. ;)

Thank you all for participating in the thread. We're almost there and I'm looking forward to taking you to the finish line.

VVVV I DID IT, IT'S HERE NOW, FRIEND. IM GLAD STEAM JUST WENT DOWN LMAO

Panzer Skank fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I can't believe I just got page sniped by the sex number

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't believe Athena got the sex number.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

RareAcumen posted:

I can't believe Athena got the sex number.

Welp, looks like we just got a glance into the future guys.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > I Can't Believe Athena Got The Sex Number: Let's Play Borderlands Three

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

As long as the thread gets to see Rhys' hilarious crush on Zer0.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Hell yeah my girl Athena got the sex number. Primary timeline team is now Team Sex Number, alternate August/Cassius/Zer0 is now Team Ninja Science Fist.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
ooohhhh you got the sex number, gimme high-five! ATHENA GIMME HIGH FIVE 'CAUSE YOU GOT THE SEX NUMBER

:hf:

That's my girl

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Hostile V posted:

Hell yeah my girl Athena got the sex number. Primary timeline team is now Team Sex Number, alternate August/Cassius/Zer0 is now Team Ninja Science Fist.

Really looking forward to this update - I rolled with Athena/Janey/August, and I understand Felix (who went boom in my playthrough) is a bit 'unique' for the finale

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If only Kaubocks had counted the votes tomorrow.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So this thread likes Borderlands to some degree and I don't have searches/ know if there's a Borderlands megathread so imma ask here.

Saturday I found myself in a Gamestop and l found Borderlands 2 and The Pre Sequel for real cheap. 5 and 13$ cheap.

I got Borderlands 2 instead of the Pre Sequel and Transformers Devastation.

did i heck up bad?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Waffleman_ posted:

If only Kaubocks had counted the votes tomorrow.

You're right. Rated 1.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

So this thread likes Borderlands to some degree and I don't have searches/ know if there's a Borderlands megathread so imma ask here.

Saturday I found myself in a Gamestop and l found Borderlands 2 and The Pre Sequel for real cheap. 5 and 13$ cheap.

I got Borderlands 2 instead of the Pre Sequel and Transformers Devastation.

did i heck up bad?

Nah, those games are cool. Good prices for them too, though BL2 has a shitload of DLC that may not be included with that. Extra character classes and three times as much game content as it already has in the base game, stuff like that. Shade, in Tales From the Borderlands's first episode, was BL2 DLC (he was in Captain Scarlet).

Borderlands 1 is the only game of the series I didn't really like so far. It had a really...SEDATE pace to it, and the character abilities weren't as interesting as in later installments.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Speedball posted:

Nah, those games are cool. Good prices for them too, though BL2 has a shitload of DLC that may not be included with that. Extra character classes and three times as much game content as it already has in the base game, stuff like that. Shade, in Tales From the Borderlands's first episode, was BL2 DLC (he was in Captain Scarlet).

Borderlands 1 is the only game of the series I didn't really like so far. It had a really...SEDATE pace to it, and the character abilities weren't as interesting as in later installments.

I got Borderlands for free on Xbox games for gold and I just wasn't sure if the Pre Sequel was good or not because all I know of it is that there's an air meter and Jack, Moxxi and Wilhelm and maybe Athena are playable so that's what made me wanna pick them up in the first place.

I'm just not sure if I should've gone for it and picked up the most recent one or not.

And yeah, first Borderlands is aggressively relying on you talking with your friends to fill the void because man is that game silent a lot of the time.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

While I prefer the gameplay improvements made in Pre-Sequel (cryo guns, butt slams, more powerful skill trees, chattier vault hunters) Borderlands 2 is arguably the better game. There's a lot more content in BL2 than TPS without even counting DLC and it has a higher player base if you want to play with randos (this is really hit or miss, proceed at your own risk).

Nothing wrong with BL2 being your jumping off point. I still play it relatively frequently.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

BL2 also has much more varied level design, since it's not on the moon. I loved all its environments.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Was I the only one who didn't like Loaderbot as the Stranger? The personality and speech patterns just changed too much. And then they snap right back.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

BurningStone posted:

Was I the only one who didn't like Loaderbot as the Stranger? The personality and speech patterns just changed too much. And then they snap right back.

I'd give it a pass; LB was actively trying to trick them so they wouldn't lie about why they killed Gortys.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
The Pre-Sequel kinda got strangled in the crib with the closure of 2K Australia. It may or may not have had another couple of major content DLCs planned, I've not heard definitively. That's a post-mortem I'd kinda like to read.

It's funny that after BL2's product lifespan was arguably stretched out with so many minor DLCs, TPS's life was so short.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BurningStone posted:

Well, yeah? He's actively hiding his identity from them to get answers. Once he has them, there's no reason to keep the charade up any longer.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It's also not like it's the Loader Bot we've seen in the first four episodes. He's gotten more articulate and aware by the present day, so I'd say him being the Stranger isn't too big of a leap by that point.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I wonder if jailbreaking him in Episode 1 helped unshackle his AI. Before that he was unable to do anything without commands, after that he takes initiatives, starting with helping Rhys and Vaughn over the fence unasked.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011

sleepy.eyes posted:

I'd give it a pass; LB was actively trying to trick them so they wouldn't lie about why they killed Gortys.

Yes, but look at the differences between the Stranger and Loader Bot. Loader Bot is straight forward and honest, the Stranger is deceptive. Loader Bot is kind and even self sacrificing, the Stranger is a bully. Loader Bot does change during the series, but in terms of making decisions instead of just taking orders. His, I don't know, outlook on life doesn't change. Rewatching the game really drove it home; if you imagine Loader Bot in all the Stranger's scenes, it doesn't make any sense at all. And if Loader Bot always acted like the Stranger, he wouldn't have very many fans.

I'm sure there can be some in world logic ("just swap the personality chip!"), but it feels really forced. It's clearly a writer trying to create a surprise.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Speedball posted:

I wonder if jailbreaking him in Episode 1 helped unshackle his AI. Before that he was unable to do anything without commands, after that he takes initiatives, starting with helping Rhys and Vaughn over the fence unasked.

I gotta wonder, if we told him to self-destruct way back in the first episode, how would that change everything.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

IMJack posted:

I gotta wonder, if we told him to self-destruct way back in the first episode, how would that change everything.

you just get a second loaderbot (remember Yvette had two prepped) with the same AI that's a bit miffed about the others sacrifice

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Wait, really? I thought he just put himself back together again, or something like that? If you self-destruct LB it's a different LB? Somehow, this changes everything!

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Dolash posted:

Wait, really? I thought he just put himself back together again, or something like that? If you self-destruct LB it's a different LB? Somehow, this changes everything!

He did just say that basically, it's our LB, but in a different body.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Mokinokaro posted:

you just get a second loaderbot (remember Yvette had two prepped) with the same AI that's a bit miffed about the others sacrifice

That mention of AI copying reminded me of something that bugged me on my own playthrough:

Why the hell did Jack think that making an immortal army of Jackbots was a good idea? Specifically, why did he think they'd loyally march forward serving the Greater Jack rather than immediately starting to backstab their way towards their 'rightful' position at the top as 'Real Jack'?

It's ironic that all his various complexes mean that Jack can't even trust himself when it comes down to it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I assume they'd just be networked versions of the main AI Jack, not completely separate instanced AIs.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Jack doesn't spend a lot of time on self-reflection.

sulphagne
Mar 30, 2011

The Council, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

BurningStone posted:

Yes, but look at the differences between the Stranger and Loader Bot. Loader Bot is straight forward and honest, the Stranger is deceptive. Loader Bot is kind and even self sacrificing, the Stranger is a bully. Loader Bot does change during the series, but in terms of making decisions instead of just taking orders. His, I don't know, outlook on life doesn't change. Rewatching the game really drove it home; if you imagine Loader Bot in all the Stranger's scenes, it doesn't make any sense at all. And if Loader Bot always acted like the Stranger, he wouldn't have very many fans.

I'm sure there can be some in world logic ("just swap the personality chip!"), but it feels really forced. It's clearly a writer trying to create a surprise.

How is Loader Bot throwing on a costume and a voice modulator and putting on an act substantively different from Fiona and Sasha running a con on August, or Rhys donning a Vasquez suit and Patrick Warburton voice modulator to walk into Helios? It's established early on that LB has his own distinct personality and consciousness, it's not beyond the pale for him to do unto Fiona and Rhys what they had done to others.

Not to mention that when you look back, there's a pretty big tell in episode 2 when Loader Bot responds incredulously to Fiona's claim about LB saving her and Sasha from Athena. And then Fiona starts intuiting that the Stranger was someone they knew in episode 3. The foundations were well-laid here.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I like to imagine the Stranger's objection to Fiona's retelling of the LB-throws-Athena incident was partly to throw her off the trail of his identity by feigning ignorance about what Loaderbots can do and partly a humblebrag about "wow, this Loaderbot guy sounds really strong and cool, it's unbelievable how he beat that famous mercenary".

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

self destructing loader bot: I've only done it once but was under the impression he cobbles himself together since he has hella scorch marks when you get him again I THINK this might be my poo poo memory playing tricks on me

army of jacks: there's no way this would work since they'd all try to backstab each other but I can buy him THINKING it would work because he's so goddamn full of himself

loader bot as stranger: it's dope

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011

sulphagne posted:

How is Loader Bot throwing on a costume and a voice modulator and putting on an act substantively different from Fiona and Sasha running a con on August, or Rhys donning a Vasquez suit and Patrick Warburton voice modulator to walk into Helios? It's established early on that LB has his own distinct personality and consciousness, it's not beyond the pale for him to do unto Fiona and Rhys what they had done to others.

Not to mention that when you look back, there's a pretty big tell in episode 2 when Loader Bot responds incredulously to Fiona's claim about LB saving her and Sasha from Athena. And then Fiona starts intuiting that the Stranger was someone they knew in episode 3. The foundations were well-laid here.

Because I can't see Loader Bot taking those actions? Fiona and Sasha are con artists. Rhys is corporate ladder climber in a dog eat dog world. Those sorts of actions are expected of them. Loader Bot is considerably nicer than our main characters. Can you really see Loader Bot pointing a shotgun at Rhys' crotch and threatening to shoot him? I can't, but I guess from everybody's reactions, you guys can.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

LB's one major goal is to save Gortys, and as far as he is concerned, Fiona just killed Gortys for no reason and Rhys just pulled a Handsome Jack. He's leery of trusting either of them at the moment, because when he was nice to them, they turned out to be enemies of his. LB's actually incredibly nice in this respect in that he's bringing everybody together again, trying to get answers, and doesn't outright kill everybody involved like the gaggle of raiders he slaughtered in the first episodes.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

BurningStone posted:

Because I can't see Loader Bot taking those actions? Fiona and Sasha are con artists. Rhys is corporate ladder climber in a dog eat dog world. Those sorts of actions are expected of them. Loader Bot is considerably nicer than our main characters. Can you really see Loader Bot pointing a shotgun at Rhys' crotch and threatening to shoot him? I can't, but I guess from everybody's reactions, you guys can.

Welcome to Borderlands, where the nicest people are capable of and do the meanest things.

This example came up earlier in the thread but: Scooter in Borderlands 2 had a sidequest where you hunt down a Bandit who vandalized one of his catch a rides. Said Bandit gets eaten by wildlife but that's not good enough, you have to make sure he's dead (with bonus for using elemental damage.)
The mission's ending text is him saying 'Good work, that's what happens to people who mess with my Catch A Rides. By the way I know you hacked into it but because you did this I forgive you.' With the implication that he would have called out a hit on the Vault Hunters.

This is the same Scooter that selflessly rode a rocket to oblivion.

One of the core underlying themes of all the Borderlands games is that this is pretty much a Space Western. Everyone can be nice and cheerful and help each other until you mess with what they love and then they will hunt you down with a fury of fire, brimstone and black comedy (and usually Vault Hunters) that seems entirely excessive but to them is completely justified.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 22, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

self destructing loader bot: I've only done it once but was under the impression he cobbles himself together since he has hella scorch marks when you get him again I THINK this might be my poo poo memory playing tricks on me

army of jacks: there's no way this would work since they'd all try to backstab each other but I can buy him THINKING it would work because he's so goddamn full of himself

loader bot as stranger: it's dope

See, I thought the plan with the Jackbots was that all of them would be in his control as an AI. Like, one mind, many bodies.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

RareAcumen posted:

See, I thought the plan with the Jackbots was that all of them would be in his control as an AI. Like, one mind, many bodies.
Acting autonomously most of the time, but occasionally directly controlled by the main mind?

"Hey, listen up, you're just doing great out here failing to kill these guys, so I'm just gonna slip in here and ASSUME DIRECT FRICKIN' CONTROL, alright?"

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
If Loader Bot decides to keep being a badass and not retire after the game is done he should get some of the Children to repair the Loader Bot producing machines in the wreckage of Helios. That way he can steal Fake!Jack's Action Skill and just continually digi-struct loader-bot backup.

Actually the Children should try and repair those machines anyway because having protector robots is the only way that they're going to survive on Pandora since none of them know how to fight at all.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

^^^^I don't remember seeing any Loaderbots around the Children of Helios, either. I wonder if none of them survived the crash somehow (not like they'd get priority on escape pods or ships) or if the ones that survived decided to use their burgeoning unshackled AI to beat it away from their yuppie former overlords.

JT Jag posted:

Acting autonomously most of the time, but occasionally directly controlled by the main mind?

"Hey, listen up, you're just doing great out here failing to kill these guys, so I'm just gonna slip in here and ASSUME DIRECT FRICKIN' CONTROL, alright?"

If you're going to go that route, he's really only a few verbal ticks away from Avengers 2 Ultron, complete with the broken belief that he's the real hero saving the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Man, now I want AI Jack singing No Strings On Me.

• Locked thread