Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Anidav posted:

lmao if you tell a taxi driver to avoid tolls they'll take a longer route. Uber Drivers are usually suburban locals who just use their natural driving routes to get to the destination quickly. You cannot give a star rating to individual Taxi drivers so if they gently caress you there's nothing you can do except complain to a call centre which is the same as essentially doing nothing. Uber Drivers with bad star ratings get kicked out.

Taxi App needs star ratings for drivers and pretty much everything else the Uber App is doing. I can't use Google Now to order a Taxi but I can use it to order an Uber and that's because the industry is a Dinosaur that refuses to evolve.

We should apply this to everything, right? Get a bad review get the sack, it's the only way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
No, but we should apply it to Taxi Drivers who try to rip you off.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
You do realise the way taxi companies treat their drivers isn't much better.

open24hours posted:

We should apply this to everything, right? Get a bad review get the sack, it's the only way.

I booked a cab on the iPhone app(booking number ). I was picked up by the driver in Coburg and asked him to take me to Blackburn. About a minute after driving he said that he wasn't going to turn
his meter on and that if I didn't pay him cash that he would not take me home. I knew that I would not be able to get another taxi, being new years day, and hesitantly agreed. He told me that the charge would be
$70 cash and I had to pay it now. I said that it shouldn't cost that much as I had never paid more than $60 for it previously, however he was insistent. After having handed over the cash, he began to tell me that the
only reason he was driving me home is that when I ran to the taxi he "could see my breasts bouncing up and down" and how good they looked. I had to listen to half an hour of lewd and frankly disgusting comments
from the driver in regards to my breasts and "how good they look with the seatbelt between them", "when I hired a hooker hers were good but not as round as yours", "you must have had surgery done to make
them look that round and good" and other comments to that nature. I feel violated to say the least. Dressed quite conservatively considering it was new years day, I was alone, had already given him the last of my
cash, and had no other way of getting home. I am a young woman and I am absolutely appalled at the driver's conduct. To top the horrible experience off, just before he dropped me home, he kept asking me "can I
please just touch them" over and over. I feel disgusting. Words cannot express how dirty I felt after that cab ride, and hours later still feel just as horrible. This needs to be taken further. There is no situation in which
a young woman should ever be treated in such capacity, especially considering he was working. I would also like a refund of my money - I refuse to have paid to be verbally sexually abused and demeaned in that
manner. Please contact me on
as soon as you have received this complaint.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I don't know what that's supposed to prove? There are scumbags in every industry, the answer to the scumbag problem isn't to take away workers' rights.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Star ratings are pretty much service industry standard. Hotels, Resorts, Cafes. There are reviews for it somewhere.

Except for individual Taxi Drivers.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
"I'm too autistic to give a taxi driver directions or order a taxi via telephone."

- All the Uber proponents

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Who gives a gently caress any more. I watched Bill Shorten unironically promise a curfew for Bagery's Creek airport. That drat thing is a loving metaphor for the uselessness, the sheer bloody-minded FYGM attitude and hot potato-passing that typifies Australian loving bullshit politics.

And then I saw Chris Bowen in his new beard and I understood why Chris Pyne is almost certainly in love with him. This election, everyone loses. Except the rich guys.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Anidav posted:

Star ratings are pretty much service industry standard. Hotels, Resorts, Cafes. There are reviews for it somewhere.

Except for individual Taxi Drivers.

I can't give someone who works at a hotel or a cafe a one star review on my phone and expect them to be sacked, and nor should I, why would you expect to be able to do that to a taxi driver?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

You don't get sacked from one bad review. But you know if you as a driver get 30 one star reviews in a row then something is wrong with the service you're providing. Or you're sexually harassing your passengers.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

In 2016, trying to provide a service app-less is industry suicide.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
But in hospitality you're giving the restaurant the poor review, not the wait staff or cooks. To compare it you'd have to be giving the cab company poor reviews not the drivers. Wouldn't you?

e:I don't know, maybe I just think that sexual harassment or assault should be handled by the courts and not the free market.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Anidav posted:

You don't get sacked from one bad review. But you know if you as a driver get 30 one star reviews in a row then something is wrong with the service you're providing. Or you're sexually harassing your passengers.

Or someone is targeting you? Or there's a problem with the system, or something that's out of your control prevented you from delivering good service, ... It doesn't take a particularly vivid imagination to think of a situation where you could get bad reviews without being at fault. There are good reasons for unfair dismissal laws, developing an app that lets you give people star ratings doesn't do anything to invalidate those reasons.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Anidav posted:

Even if Uber are a bunch of libertarian dickhead, they've already won the battle and the war and established a new normal in trasportation options. With Lyft launching here soon the Taxi Industry best stop complaining and unite under a universal app.

Lyft is supposed to be a lot better than Uber in regards to actually treating their drivers with decency, aren't they? I've heard a whole lot less bad about them, at least.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

e:I don't know, maybe I just think that sexual harassment or assault should be handled by the courts and not the free market.

The current justice system is absolutely woeful at handling sexual assault cases.

Pretty sure its less than 20% of cases get a conviction.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Frogmanv2 posted:

The current justice system is absolutely woeful at handling sexual assault cases.

Pretty sure its less than 20% of cases get a conviction.

thatfatkid posted:

There's a few issues with the current system so let's completely undermine workers rights to "fix" those issues.

I'm sure there's a better way to administer justice than posting a one star review after being sexually assaulted.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 21, 2016

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Even giving the cab company a poor review in an app would be a step up from what they're currently offering lol.

open24hours posted:

Or someone is targeting you? Or there's a problem with the system, or something that's out of your control prevented you from delivering good service, ... It doesn't take a particularly vivid imagination to think of a situation where you could get bad reviews without being at fault. There are good reasons for unfair dismissal laws, developing an app that lets you give people star ratings doesn't do anything to invalidate those reasons.

Hypothetically if there was an Uber-like app for Taxi's. the only way someone could "target" you is if they repeatedly got you as a driver. If you give them a bad review the app asks you why. It's comprehensive and a two way communication channel. With an app if anyone sexually harasses you; your phone screen already has their full name, licence plate number and photograph. You instantly have far more information at your disposal than the current app-less Taxi approach.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Anidav posted:

Hypothetically if there was an Uber-like app for Taxi's. the only way someone could "target" you is if they repeatedly got you as a driver. If you give them a bad review the app asks you why. It's comprehensive and a two way communication channel. With an app if anyone sexually harasses you; your phone screen already has their full name, licence plate number and photograph. You instantly have far more information at your disposal than the current app-less Taxi approach.

Right, but then your response should be to go to the police with that information, not loving give them a bad review and hope they assault enough people that they get the sack.

It's like Myles Barlow has become reality, I mean what the absolute gently caress?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Woah there, I'm not saying give them a bad review in this case. Yeah go to the police. Drivers who take bad routes and rip you off deserve those bad reviews.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
When you order a pizza from dominos

You can rate the driver

So suck it up taxis

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Negligent posted:

Coalition will be comfortably reelected.

Bill shorten will never be prime minister.

I know you have a gimmick and the thread is pretty anti shorten anyways but the alp has done a ludicrously good job to be where they are.

It's not that they've pulled the polls close. That can be explained by liberal incompetence. Labor are actually dominating the economic conversation. Morrison in particular has changed his tune quite significantly in a matter of months.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Driver wasn't white and had an accent, 1 star

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Anidav posted:

Woah there, I'm not saying give them a bad review in this case. Yeah go to the police. Drivers who take bad routes and rip you off deserve those bad reviews.

Anidav posted:

:shrug:

I don't know, that seemed pretty clear to me. But if you say you're not.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I'm saying they would probably do both. Although a driver would probably get the boot after one review describing harassment and a police report paired with it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Right, but then in that case the review system is completely immaterial. An app that gave you all the driver's information without being able to review them would work just as well.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Anidav posted:

The free market will sort it all out ay?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Right, but then in that case the review system is completely immaterial. An app that gave you all the driver's information without being able to review them would work just as well.

That's fine.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Recoome posted:

What the gently caress is this even

I just checked, and they have increased the coverage area. It wasn't long ago that you couldn't get an uber if you lived more than 15 minutes away from the cbd. It still doesn't change the fact that they have no obligations to provide access to their service. If you live on the outskirts of the city, you still have to rely on taxis.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah it would go a long way, if the government legislated that taxi companies must provide ride hailing apps that take bookings, payments, and offer driver information. But it would be much better if they do something about the wages and working conditions to lead to many of the complaints about taxi drivers. But gently caress, paying for a properly run and managed taxi service.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 21, 2016

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
where can i rate anidav's posts 1, rather than the whole thread

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
"union smashers are extremely good, actually" - someone consistently hosed on by employers and then saved by unions

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Even if you think the rating system could be abused a "contact us about this driver" button could also work.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
do people not understand you can book a taxi through the uber app, it's a taxi with a taxi driver but you can rate them and see how far away they are

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Shorten has only done this well because ever since the Tampa he has been terrified of wedge politics. At the party national conference it was shorten who wangled the numbers to support boat push backs. The ALP voted for the border force Act, that threatens whistleblowers with jail. When the stormtroopers were going to randomly stop and search people in Melbourne, Bill was nowhere to be found, until that is, it was clear that protests caused the operation to be cancelled.

In summary Bill Shorten will never become prime minister because literally nothing is so important to him that it can't be compromised for the sake of political gain, or more accurately, to neutralise a threat.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Negligent posted:

Shorten has only done this well because ever since the Tampa he has been terrified of wedge politics. At the party national conference it was shorten who wangled the numbers to support boat push backs. The ALP voted for the border force Act, that threatens whistleblowers with jail. When the stormtroopers were going to randomly stop and search people in Melbourne, Bill was nowhere to be found, until that is, it was clear that protests caused the operation to be cancelled.

In summary Bill Shorten will never become prime minister because literally nothing is so important to him that it can't be compromised for the sake of political gain.

But that sounds like exactly the kind of person who the average Australian will vote in :shrug:?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Bill Shorten will win. The coalition is just as terrified of being wedged on superannuation and banking royal commissions

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
In yet ANOTHER unsurprising turn of events, the UPF hate transgender people. This is naturally riding on the way of "Bathroom Laws" which are being passed in the US at the moment.

So ugh how long until these guys die out? They haven't been registered as a party right?

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

turdbucket posted:

do people not understand you can book a taxi through the uber app, it's a taxi with a taxi driver but you can rate them and see how far away they are

Depends on the city, you can't do this in Melbourne.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Recoome posted:

In yet ANOTHER unsurprising turn of events, the UPF hate transgender people. This is naturally riding on the way of "Bathroom Laws" which are being passed in the US at the moment.

So ugh how long until these guys die out? They haven't been registered as a party right?

I can't see how having big burly blokes required by law to use women's bathrooms is more comfortable to these people worldviews than just letting transpeople choose which toilets they use.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Negligent posted:

In summary Bill Shorten will never become prime minister because literally nothing is so important to him that it can't be compromised for the sake of political gain, or more accurately, to neutralise a threat.

The "small target strategy" has never worked well, you're correct. But the reason it exists at all is a couple of facts:

* we vote out rather than in.
* neither party has any serious ideology any more than "don't piss off the rich and powerful guys. Think how sad that is given how powerful they potentially are.

So now the game is to be less worse or at least less visibly worse than the other guy. The Libs have opted to slant this as being tougher, while pretending to care about the small business guy. The ALP have opted to..well gently caress knows, they've lost the rhetorical skills to match LNP blather. But don't mistake the LNP blather for being anything better than ALP blather. They're even more clueless.

Of course when they get what they want, it's like a dog who's caught a car. This is why the electorate will just ignore everything this election and vote based on local politics in the House and against the majors in the Senate.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Have you ever tried to report a taxi for something? The companies they drive for do not care, they give you the run around and hope you give up because it's not worth the effort.
If taxi companies cared about level of service they would be jumping all over the ability to hold their drivers to KPIs based on immediate customer feedback. If you give a driver 1 star and say he took you the long way they would be able to take a look at the cars GPS logs to see, and a pattern of this would get the driver the boot.
Unfortunately these cab companies are just interested in having their plates on the road collecting rents, who cares about the fares they aren't their customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Anidav posted:

Bill Shorten will win. The coalition is just as terrified of being wedged on superannuation and banking royal commissions

What.

If you're afraid of the wedge you adopt an opponent's position that you otherwise wouldn't have, hoping to neutralise it as an issue.

Example:

Lib: turn back the boats
Alp: turn back the boats

• Locked thread