Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I can't see how having big burly blokes required by law to use women's bathrooms is more comfortable to these people worldviews than just letting transpeople choose which toilets they use.

:iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Recoome posted:

In yet ANOTHER unsurprising turn of events, the UPF hate transgender people. This is naturally riding on the way of "Bathroom Laws" which are being passed in the US at the moment.

So ugh how long until these guys die out? They haven't been registered as a party right?

A group run by a Christian fundamentalist and a literal Nazi won't support trangender rights :monocle:

I heard they did register as a party but missed the deadline for this election or something. So on the off chance they haven't cannibalised themselves (again) in the next 3 1/2 years they could have a chance at getting a senate seat, assuming they can find eligible candidates (for example, people who haven't been convicted of stalking and arson)

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Labor arent being a small target on the economy though. For an opposition party they are being a very big target. They made that clear by going after negative gearing. Bowen is setting the economic agenda right now and morrison is reacting. For all the coalition bluster about morrison being the next big thing hes struggling to see off a man with a funny beard.

Labor were awful in the first year or so of opposition and they still have many policies i find personally distasteful but they are performing extremely well over the last year. Especially at framing the debate. They have seen off one prime minister in record speed and have pulled an extremely popular moderate to 50/50 polling with bill shorten.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Also whenever idiots talk about trans people, they are only ever referring trans women.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Recoome posted:

In yet ANOTHER unsurprising turn of events, the UPF hate transgender people. This is naturally riding on the way of "Bathroom Laws" which are being passed in the US at the moment.

So ugh how long until these guys die out? They haven't been registered as a party right?

*enters womens restroom*
*UPF supporter sweats uncomfortably*

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Zenithe posted:

A group run by a Christian fundamentalist and a literal Nazi won't support trangender rights :monocle:

I heard they did register as a party but missed the deadline for this election or something. So on the off chance they haven't cannibalised themselves (again) in the next 3 1/2 years they could have a chance at getting a senate seat, assuming they can find eligible candidates (for example, people who haven't been convicted of stalking and arson)

Their politcal party is called Fortitude, I believe, not UPF.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Labor arent being a small target on the economy though. For an opposition party they are being a very big target. They made that clear by going after negative gearing. Bowen is setting the economic agenda right now and morrison is reacting. For all the coalition bluster about morrison being the next big thing hes struggling to see off a man with a funny beard.

Labor were awful in the first year or so of opposition and they still have many policies i find personally distasteful but they are performing extremely well over the last year. Especially at framing the debate. They have seen off one prime minister in record speed and have pulled an extremely popular moderate to 50/50 polling with bill shorten.

Tbf abbott was taken out entirely by own goals

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It's all reactive though. Why is negative gearing such a brainwave now? It's been a problem for years. Ditto talking up the "transition from the mining boom" oh yeah and if you're so loving prescient, why have you coasted since then? The trouble with debates like this is that it's all framed from the point of reference of a class of people who genuinely have no connection to the bulk of the society they think they're leading. I'm including the media in that too. They always need the next thing, the next distraction while they're doing their little deals on the side when they think people aren't looking.

The ALP have been two steps backwards for 20 loving YEARS now. The LNP's slow implosion is no gift to them or any of us, it just means more instability for a bunch of people who aren't accustomed to actually having to work for their politics, that's a bad place for a backwaters Asian US satellite to be in.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
remember that child kidnapping in lebanon?

lmao, the scumbags are already turning on one another

also, is it just me, or do these companies exclusively kidnap children from non-anglo countries to anglo ones?

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
The dad had access to the mum's social media and email accounts, they knew about the op days before it happened.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

katlington posted:

Tbf abbott was taken out entirely by own goals

He was but they are doing extremely well handling turnbull and morrison. Obviously labor has been bad on the economy in the past but they have pitched some good things. Im not going to vote for them mind but hey im happy with them dominating the economic talk.

Even when rudd won in 07 they were like we are just as neo liberal as howard dont worry guys. Now that was a small target opposition

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Phobophilia posted:

also, is it just me, or do these companies exclusively kidnap children from non-anglo countries to anglo ones?

It's because of colonialism and white supremacy. :ssh:

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Thread posted:

Oh my God, Melbourne just got wiped out by a 50 megaton nuclear bomb! We're at war with America!

Negligent posted:

Shorten will never be prime minister. Never. He just doesn't do it for me.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

If that happened the thread would still be talking about Uber and public transport for pages, don't kid yourself.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
I'm just getting in early so that ten weeks later I can go :smuggo:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Cleretic posted:

If that happened the thread would still be talking about Uber and public transport for pages, don't kid yourself.

Nah we would've moved onto helmets by then.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

. Obviously labor has been bad on the economy in the past

Im sorry, what?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Gods this is bad. Bike chat may be our only hope:

'Four wheels good, two wheels bad': NSW's war on cyclists continues posted:

It’s been over a month since the new “cycling safety” rules came into force in New South Wales. Despite the protests of numerous cycling groups armed with a petition of over 10,000 signatures and a disallowance motion tabled in state parliament by Greens MP, Mehreen Faruqi, the government appears intent on punishing two-wheeled human-powered road users.

Scores of cyclists have been issued major fines for minor offences including not having a bell on the handlebars, riding without a reflector, riding while helmet straps are loose and cycling on a footpath.

If social media can be believed, the evidence is that police are actively enforcing the section of the law that targets cyclists and ignoring the only provision that will truly keep bike riders safe – the one-metre distance required when passing a cyclist. Roads minister Duncan Gay can easily respond to these social media criticisms by releasing the figures on the number of cyclists and motorists fined under the new laws. So far, he hasn’t.

According to the Australian Cyclists Party, NSW police have managed to creatively interpret the “riding dangerously” provision. They’ve apparently fined a cyclist for “track standing” – the practise some cyclists can master of staying upright and cleated into the pedals while motionless at traffic lights. Perhaps the cops just don’t like posers?

Meanwhile, Sydney continues to suffer under traffic jams of Duncanian proportions. A bingle on the Harbour Bridge recently resulted in queues stretching back a whopping 12km. There was much antagonism on social media as commuters in buses complained that single-occupant cars were filling the transit lane, so even public transport could not get through. The only people moving were pedestrians and ... those lawbreaking cyclists.

A Fairfax Media analysis of the government’s recent Road Report showed that average commuting times have lengthened on a staggering 124 routes. Yet the NRMA keeps its head firmly stuck in the bitumen, claiming it’s the construction work on the new roads that’s slowing commute times. In transport-nirvana, once the work is complete, everyone will zip into the city at top speed!

Or, as report after report has shown, commute times will drop for a brief period before returning to snail-pace as the road clogs with more motorists, left to sit in a slow-moving car park. In some cases, these car-bound lemmings will be paying a toll for the privilege. No wonder so many Sydney motorists are angry and looking for a scapegoat. Ooh look, there goes another lycra-clad fool zipping past me. Arrest that man!

While Melbourne plans to have one-in-four city-bound commuters on a bicycle by 2020, the NSW government builds even more roads so the traffic jams can extend across the whole tortured city. With a blinkered transport policy that thunders “four wheels good, two wheels bad,” the environmentally-friendly, budget-conscious option of a network of bike lanes is ignored. Even the legendary traffic-snarled city of New York has woken up to the folly of building more roads, and instead installed a comprehensive cycle lane network.

Meanwhile, the NSW government has become guardians of an anti-youth, anti-fun agenda. The simple pleasures of cycling, getting a drink at any hour and protesting for what you believe in have all been subjected to hammer and walnut legislation.

If you’re seething about the daily time-consuming commute, direct your indignation at Duncan Gay, the man in charge of Sydney roads. Or buy a bike, plot a cycle route to the office – on what’s left of the city bike lanes – and laugh all the way to your morning latte. And can someone tell the police that fining cyclists for loose helmet straps won’t really solve a crime wave, fix Sydney traffic, or endear them to the community at large.

Welcome to NSW 2016.
NSW worst state.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
You know what's worse than Bill Shorten driving a taxi:

quote:

Sophie Mirabella, former Liberal MP, denies pushing opponent Cathy McGowan at function

Former Liberal MP Sophie Mirabella has denied she physically pushed her political opponent, independent MP Cathy McGowan, at a function in north-east Victoria.

Ms Mirabella is contesting the seat of Indi at the upcoming federal election, after narrowly losing to Ms McGowan in 2013.

Local newspaper, the Benalla Ensign, reported Ms Mirabella and Ms McGowan both attended the opening of a new wing of an aged care facility in Benalla last week.

The report claimed Ms McGowan was having a photograph with Liberal MP Ken Wyatt, when Ms Mirabella "very publicly pushed Ms McGowan out of the way to obstruct the photo being taken".

Ms Mirabella took to Twitter to deny the report.

"I emphatically reject reports I pushed Cathy McGowan," she tweeted.

"Reporter did not even bother 2 call me.

"A sad return 2 nasty tactics from my opponents."

But the editor of the Benalla Ensign, former ABC presenter Libby Price, stands by the story.

She said the incident was witnessed by a number of people and she independently confirmed it took place with four sources.

"I was hesitant to report it but felt it was in the public interest for people to know this sort of unacceptable behaviour had occurred," Ms Price said.

The ABC has contacted Ms McGowan for comment.

The battle for the seat of Indi is expected to be one of the most closely-watched in the upcoming election.

It was decided by just over 300 votes in the 2013 election and appeared to have ended Ms Mirabella's political career, just as she was heading to a ministerial position in the Abbott government.

It is expected the result in the upcoming election will also be close, with preferences likely to be crucial.

Indi covers a large part of north-eastern Victoria including the major towns of Wangaratta, Benalla and Wodonga.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/apr/21/sophie-mirabella-denies-aggressively-blocking-cathy-mcgowan-photo

quote:

Queen of Mean Sophie Mirabella in tacky brawl columnist Janet Albrechtsen

IT was a glittering night for Liberal Party greats but an ugly spat that unfolded after Liberal Sophie Mirabella hunted down conservative columnist Janet Albrechtsen to call her “tacky’’ is the talk of political circles.

Dubbed the Queen of Mean by critics, Mrs Mirabella is recontesting the Victorian federal seat of Indi that she lost at the 2013 election and was ­angered by the columnist’s recent rating of her chances on Sky News.

Confirming the clash at a gala dinner attended by 1000 guests, including the Prime Minister, she added fuel to the fire yesterday by noting Albrechtsen is romantically involved with Victorian Liberal Party president Michael Kroger.

“I approached Janet to introduce myself and she curtly told me that we had met before but she said I wouldn't remember ‘the little people’,’’ Mrs Mirabella said yesterday.

“I apologised profusely. I thought she might want to speak with me about Indi and she told me she knew everything about Indi and walked away.’’

But witnesses to the clash ­insist Mrs Mirabella repeatedly called the columnist “tacky’’, an attack the Liberal candidate said she did not recall.

“I was quite shocked. I was taken aback at the intensity of her emotions,’’ Mrs Mirabella said.

“I don’t know the woman. I was contacted by Liberal Party members who watched it and they were shocked that the state president’s partner would be saying what she did.”

Her reference to Ms ­Albrechtsen’s relationship with Mr Kroger, which is no secret in Liberal Party circles, has enraged her friends who described it as “sexist’’.

In a bizarre twist, it was left to former Getaway presenter Catriona Rowntree to whisk Ms Albrechtsen out of Mrs Mirabella’s way.

Ms Albrechtsen declined to comment.

Another Liberal added: “This is why people love Sophie and hate her. She just can’t help herself.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...80792d3ea52efdd

RIP Catriona Rowntree, who I thought had died years ago.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Bike helmets save lives and are Good thing

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

GoldStandardConure posted:

Their politcal party is called Fortitude, I believe, not UPF.

I'm almost certain they missed the deadline to run as senators in the next election.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Sophie driving a taxi vs Bill driving an Uber. Who do you choose.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Negligent posted:

Bike helmets save lives and are Good thing

:argh:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Oh no.

Federal Opposition Leader Bill Shorten has stated he would accept a drop on Sunday penalty rates if it was recommended by the Fair Work Commission.

Oh no.

"I'd accept the independent tribunal," Mr Shorten said in an interview with radio station 3AW.

Mr Shorten went on to criticise the Government for abolishing the Road Safety Remuneration Tribunal, arguing it was evidence the Coalition was not willing to accept advice from independent bodies about pay rates.

The Opposition Leader went on to reaffirm his support for keeping penalty rates in place.

Oh no???

I support keeping penalty rates unless this tribunal says otherwise but I still support penalty rates?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

If I can give a star rating to the person who delivers my pizza I think I should be able to do the same for the person who drives me around

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

OK Bill youre confusing the poo poo outta me.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Pickled Tink posted:

If social media can be believed,

Stopped reading there.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

open24hours posted:

Or someone is targeting you? Or there's a problem with the system, or something that's out of your control prevented you from delivering good service, ... It doesn't take a particularly vivid imagination to think of a situation where you could get bad reviews without being at fault. There are good reasons for unfair dismissal laws, developing an app that lets you give people star ratings doesn't do anything to invalidate those reasons.

So you update the laws to protect people from unfair dismissal due to star ratings. If customers keep complaining about an employee you can usually fire them quite easily. What about a star rating is really any different? If the rating system is abused in a particular driver's case or it's weighted too much against the drivers then the courts can rule unfair dismissal. You could also have a driver's union that protects drivers from unfair dismissal, or have legislation lay out the grounds of dismissal based on star ratings. Just looking at the status quo and declaring it anti-worker is not the way.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Cabchat: I don't know what the gently caress you guys are talking about but I have the 13CABS app and it does everything people are saying a taxi app should. I can make a booking, provide a destination address, estimate a fare, see where my cab is, even give a review out of 5 stars for both the driver and the cab, as well as leave comments. The only thing it doesn't let me do is pay via the app.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
We haven't yet talked about the absurdity of the baby boomer that pays $300k or so for a taxi license, then takes a big chunk out the cabbies earnings for the privilege of using that license, and as a result the pay is terrible and attracts the dodgiest kind of people.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Being able to rate taxi drivers is probably the last thing the industry wants. Not because it's anti worker but because they want to avoid community contact as much as possible.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Anidav posted:

OK Bill youre confusing the poo poo outta me.

The FWC have made good decisions on minimum wage and are not about to abolish penalty rates. It's a tactical choice of either supporting the FWC and probably keeping them or letting parliament decide and the tories definitely getting rid of them.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Anidav posted:

Oh no.

Federal Opposition Leader Bill Shorten has stated he would accept a drop on Sunday penalty rates if it was recommended by the Fair Work Commission.

Oh no.

"I'd accept the independent tribunal," Mr Shorten said in an interview with radio station 3AW.

Mr Shorten went on to criticise the Government for abolishing the Road Safety Remuneration Tribunal, arguing it was evidence the Coalition was not willing to accept advice from independent bodies about pay rates.

The Opposition Leader went on to reaffirm his support for keeping penalty rates in place.

Oh no???

I support keeping penalty rates unless this tribunal says otherwise but I still support penalty rates?

Uh the party who deregulated the market proposes further deregulation. Don't let the beard distract you

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

V for Vegas posted:

The FWC have made good decisions on minimum wage and are not about to abolish penalty rates. It's a tactical choice of either supporting the FWC and probably keeping them or letting parliament decide and the tories definitely getting rid of them.

Yeah but the headlines are what people read and it reads like a flip flop.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

If they drop penalty rates then i will take back all the faint praise i gave them just now.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
I don't think this has been mentioned before, but Liberal party backbencher does what appears at first glance to be a not-terrible thing? I suspect actually talking to peoplefascist symphatizers might be one of the more effective means of countering them (noting the old saw about not being able to reason somebody out of a position they didn't reason themselves into).

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

How independent are they exactly? Could the LNP stack the deck with yesmen somehow?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Phobophilia posted:

I forget the specifics but basically, if it happens here the media isn't allowed to cover it, so they focus on kidnappings they can perpetrate overseas because that's the only way to guarantee a story, even if they gently caress it up.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Higsian posted:

So you update the laws to protect people from unfair dismissal due to star ratings. If customers keep complaining about an employee you can usually fire them quite easily. What about a star rating is really any different? If the rating system is abused in a particular driver's case or it's weighted too much against the drivers then the courts can rule unfair dismissal. You could also have a driver's union that protects drivers from unfair dismissal, or have legislation lay out the grounds of dismissal based on star ratings. Just looking at the status quo and declaring it anti-worker is not the way.

Well, this is basically what I'm arguing for. A lot of the protections are already in place though, Uber just don't give a gently caress and get away with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Fair enough.

• Locked thread