Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kanos posted:

Magic is bad because it's a titanic stat investment for limited ammunition attacks that can't be animation cancelled and cost a billion stamina per cast while also demanding you give up all of your ring slots to actually deal good damage and have a decent cast speed and also demanding you give up a third of your estus slots.

It works okay for PvE once you get all of the widgets going and has some situational PvP utility(free-aiming chaos fireballs, sacred flame, melee spiked lightning spears are p good if you catch rollers), but it is in no way worth the effort or time compared to being a melee dude.

also the magic weapons mostly suck and you can't even get the moonlight greatsword until the final main area of the game, and the soul required to make it can also be made into a unique spell that you won't be able to get until ng+ when you kill the boss in the endgame again. it's ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctobear
Apr 18, 2016
Any tips for the abyss watchers ? Im having a hell of a time even getting to the location with those two drat darkwraiths . Do those guys respawn after you kill them ?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

vandalism posted:

Just ordered the PC DVD box of this game from a retailer called POSTED FROM U.K. on Amazon. Hope it isn't some weird region lock thing. I'm in North America, if that matters. Game looks fuckin sweet and I can't wait to play. I loved Dark Souls II so yeah I should love this too. Time to find my ps3 controller!

Why did you order a physical copy of the game? It's going to require Steam no matter what. Do you have restrictive bandwidth caps?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Nuebot posted:

I did all of it after killing Aldrich, at some point it becomes necessary I assume.

So how about that Ocieros fight? Probably hardest for me so far since he was fast and my attacks are slow and he's probably the first thing I've fought in a while capable of breaking the super armor on my UGS charge attack. Also what the gently caress is up with that baby poo poo. Why was there a baby making noise when I'd smash him with a sword. I assume it's his baby because he's talking about it the whole fight. But where is it. I don't think I like the possible implications of that whole mess

He was loving me up in phase 2 because he moved so fast I couldn't cast poo poo at him. Also he'd 1-2 shot me.

....then I equipped a shield and instantly beat him. None of his attacks follow up in such a way to punish breaking your guard. So you block, swing, block, swing, recharge endurance when he leaps across the room. Changing your approach in DS3 has led to wild difficulty swings way more often than the other games for me.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dark Magic Explained

Dark Spells, Pyromancies, and Miracles only scale with Intelligence and Faith when using the specific dark item for that class.

For Spells, that's the Izalith Staff

For Miracles, that's Caitha's Chime & White Hair Talisman

For Pyromancies, it's neither

Here's a spread sheet with the damage laid out.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TbK4UVHz5A33CzpBkMs81o8OOB9aWqQU3UEWVRPkXeY/edit?usp=sharing

In short Dark Rocks, if you want to go Dark, but pick a pyromancer if so, because you won't be getting much more after 30/30. And you won't even be doing that awesome damage until areas WAY later.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Apr 21, 2016

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Anti-Hero posted:

Why did you order a physical copy of the game? It's going to require Steam no matter what. Do you have restrictive bandwidth caps?

PC game discs don't even contain actual data on them anymore, do they?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So this NPC invader crystal-keeper whatever in Untended Graves do they drop anything good? Because I launched her the gently caress off a cliff entirely by accident.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Nuebot posted:

So this NPC invader crystal-keeper whatever in Untended Graves do they drop anything good? Because I launched her the gently caress off a cliff entirely by accident.

I'm pretty sure every NPC invader that drops something will have the item pop directly into your inventory now, just to prevent such a thing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Nuebot posted:

So how about that Ocieros fight? Probably hardest for me so far since he was fast and my attacks are slow and he's probably the first thing I've fought in a while capable of breaking the super armor on my UGS charge attack. Also what the gently caress is up with that baby poo poo. Why was there a baby making noise when I'd smash him with a sword. I assume it's his baby because he's talking about it the whole fight. But where is it. I don't think I like the possible implications of that whole mess

The baby is the third prince of Lothric, and was magically engineered by Ocieros to be as close to the dragons as possible. Oceiros had become obsessed with their dragonblood and creating a worthy heir of the throne. He found out about Seathe, become totally obsessed with him, and well that's why he ended up turning into that dragon monstrosity. He wants Ocelot to claim the throne with his super dragonblood when he grows older, but you put a stop to that.

I don't think the baby is anywhere in the fight. Presumably Ocieros is carrying him, as they both die when the fight ends.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Nuebot posted:

Wow at 50STR and 18DEX the Fume UGS and Black Knight UGS do the same damage. The Black Knight weapon, however, has a way better move set and is faster.

Desire to BKUGS intensifying!

The FUGS is horrible for PvP because of that slow predictable moveset, but pretty good for Sunbroing when there are other guys to distract while you charge R2 to stun some bitches. I've been toying with other STR weapons on that character.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

also the magic weapons mostly suck and you can't even get the moonlight greatsword until the final main area of the game, and the soul required to make it can also be made into a unique spell that you won't be able to get until ng+ when you kill the boss in the endgame again. it's ridiculous

The game in general seems really back-loaded when it comes to cool/fun things, which is a shame. I spent the entirety of the game up to the final boss using a straight sword I got an hour into the game, and only changed weapons once I got the Dragonslayer's Swordspear (which I used to kill the final boss). There are several really fun weapons you can't get until the very last area, and there are coals and infusion gems you can't get until you're mostly done with the game. I assume they want to incentivize NG+ but that's pretty dumb considering how hard this game already is.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Wow man once you know where it all is you can grab the 3 or 4 useful items in Farron Keep, extinguish all 3 fires, and be fuckin' outta there in 15 minutes.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Just beat the final boss. I still have one optional to go, but he's annoying and I hate how the camera works when fighting him so I'll probably just ignore it until the weekend.

Soul of Cinder is probably my favorite last boss in any of these games. False King Allant was good, but Gwyn, Nashandra and even the first hunter were total letdowns and went down either much too easily or just weren't that fun. The last boss of DS3 definitely doesn't have that problem.

Overall the game is technically very well made, but I'd probably have a better overall impression of it had I not slogged through with a faith build. Miracles just blow, and re-applying buffs mid fight is an exercise in futility unless the boss has a phase change or 4+ second combo that you can avoid instantly and then let them carry out while you apply one of the 2-4 buffs you may be using. When it became apparent that this was the case I really should've just respecced, but I didn't, so I guess that's on me. Still sucks.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Doctobear posted:

Any tips for the abyss watchers ? Im having a hell of a time even getting to the location with those two drat darkwraiths . Do those guys respawn after you kill them ?

When you exit the ruins where that bonfire is, just stick to the right. You'll run into ~3-4 single HoofMans, but the Dark Wraiths will be busy fighting the grouped up HoofMans.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

I dropped the prop hunt branches for my sunbros and we ganked the hell out of some poor idiots. Some people seem to always see through them, is there a ring that does that?

When people are messing around in one zone for a long time, it gets pretty easy to recognize objects that are out of place. In places with tons of barrels and stuff it isn't as bad, but in areas with sparse debris. it stands out like a sore thumb after you have been through the zone a couple of times.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mimingless posted:

I can't speak for everyone, but for PvE at least, I felt that lack of Estus a grand total of once in my entire playthrough. You get plenty of Estus that splitting off some of it for Ash isn't really a problem, especially if that Ash turns into risk-free kills at range that might have cost you health if you engaged in melee. For boss fights my problem was more dying before I could heal than running out.

As far as ring slots go, with 50 Int I did use 3 of my ring slots on magic, two boost rings and the speed ring. However, I honestly would have been fine with only one of the boost rings - I spent a decent amount of the mid-game carrying a mixed pyromancy/sorcery loadout, wearing one boost ring each, and the damage was still quite good. 2 Ring slots is still a bit of a tax though yeah. Still, you might be able to get that down to 1 - depends on how much Dexterity is capable of making up for the casting speed ring. Or how much tons of Int/Faith can make the speed-casting Catalysts worth it.

There are definitely many more uses in PvP than you've catalogued - Affinity and Homing Soulmass are fantastic in PvP, Flashsword is an excellent finisher since it's fast, has range, is magic damage, and can't be parried. The list goes on. If you know how to make use of them, many many spells are great for PvP. The only problem is, where Estus wasn't a big deal for me in PvE, it does come heavily into play here unless you're honor dueling or great with Undead Hunter Talismans. No real answer to that one. :v:

I did however, have a lot of fun playing a mage, it never felt like a chore or anything. And it is a lot of stat investment, but maybe not quite as much as people say - I was quite powerful at 50 Int, not 60, and spent the early-game at 30 and the mid-game at 40.

The Estus split is loving horrible early game, both because your spells do dick all damage so you need to cast more of them to kill stuff and your estus sucks. Later on it doesn't matter because you have a billion flasks anyway, but it's a huge issue at the start. Most of your early game consists of whapping things with a raw weapon while you carefully husband your precious few shots to use on bigger enemies.

Cast speed ring is worth 30+ dex, so it's non-negotiable. Affinity and Homing Soulmass are easier to dodge than they have ever been, especially since they specifically removed the old "stagger them once so the pursuers slam into them during the stagger" trick. Flashsword was good, but they just nerfed it because reasons???

I'm not meaning to say that magic builds can't get through the game and eventually become pretty fun to play, they're just crippled and hobbled with a bunch of dumb ornerous poo poo that melee builds don't have to deal with and it's pretty frustrating. I did a dex playthrough, then did a pyro run and then a sorcerer run and both were infinitely shittier.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 21, 2016

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Darke GBF posted:

Soul of Cinder is probably my favorite last boss in any of these games. False King Allant was good, but Gwyn, Nashandra and even the first hunter were total letdowns and went down either much too easily or just weren't that fun. The last boss of DS3 definitely doesn't have that problem.

You probably already know this, but just in case, the first hunter isn't the final boss of Bloodborne.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Dark Magic Explained

Dark Spells, Pyromancies, and Miracles only scale with Intelligence and Faith when using the specific dark item for that class.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TbK4UVHz5A33CzpBkMs81o8OOB9aWqQU3UEWVRPkXeY/edit#gid=0

In short Dark Rocks, if you want to go Dark, but pick a pyromancer if so, because you won't be getting much more after 30/30. And you won't even be doing that awesome damage until areas WAY later.

That spreadsheet is private.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIvBu_D3WUw

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Holy poo poo it's like an old Loony Tunes episode.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

This Brass Armor set I just picked up is extremely my poo poo, shame about the lightning resist though

I also picked up a Crescent Moon Sword, which seems neat. Is it any good?

Edit: also, I have no idea what talisman/chime I should be going for. Is Saint's Talisman OK?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

voltcatfish posted:

Yeah I summoned a sunbro both times to be nice and help them get some medals, this apparently just horribly breaks the Crystal Sage.

I just did it alone. Apparently bleed procs on him so he went down even quicker than having a bro :shrug:

Yeah, I googled up if black crystaling out too much as repercussions (apparently it does, maybe?) because while my own two tries against him went properly, my Sunbroing attempts after the fact were buggy as gently caress.

One of the functional times felt good though, because I used my tiny 14 Faith heal to top up and keep alive a host who was apparently completely out of Estus :unsmith:

Players seem much more aware of when their Summon suddenly takes a prayer pose when they have no way of healing themselves, and at least Sage has good gaps to hold the pose for them to get close. Trying to heal allies in most fights would likely just get you both killed, even if they knew it was coming.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Apr 21, 2016

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Xenolalia posted:

when the sky changes it changes everywhere except firelink.

Hahaha damnit. When I saw the sky had changed at Lothric Castle, I went back to Firelink to check if it had changed everywhere else because I knew a similar thing happened in Bloodborne. But I guess I never revisited a single other outdoor area before beating the game, so I assumed it hadn't.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Lester Shy posted:

Hahaha damnit. When I saw the sky had changed at Lothric Castle, I went back to Firelink to check if it had changed everywhere else because I knew a similar thing happened in Bloodborne. But I guess I never revisited a single other outdoor area before beating the game, so I assumed it hadn't.

yeah, I'm super not married to the idea, but I think we might have another hunter's dream vs the actual abandoned workshop situation going on with firelink/untended firelink

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

Has anyone here (especially with a GTX 970) dabbled in downsampling? And is there a write-up yet on the performance hits of the different settings? At 1.5x downsampling the game looked pretty great and I only got a ~5-15 fps drop in Firelink on high settings (even better at 2x but the framerate fell to 30 fps which is not fun), and considering how little difference there is between Low and Max settings I feel like it'd be more worth it to spend GPU power on downsampling rather than whatever the settings do. That said, I'd still like to see examples of what the different settings actually do at low/med/high/max.

No one replied to this, but if anyone else is interested this is the closest thing I could find to a write-up:

http://www.pcgamer.com/durantes-dark-souls-3-port-analysis/2/

Which is pretty neat since it's from Durante, the dude who made DSFix and GeDoSaTo.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I got the Moonlight Greatsword and it looks really good in this game, I kind of want to make my next character a wizard just so I can use it, even if that means skipping out on another rad spell.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'd be surprised if pale dragon breath is actually worth a drat in this game. It sure wasn't in DS1.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Your Computer posted:

The game in general seems really back-loaded when it comes to cool/fun things, which is a shame. I spent the entirety of the game up to the final boss using a straight sword I got an hour into the game, and only changed weapons once I got the Dragonslayer's Swordspear (which I used to kill the final boss). There are several really fun weapons you can't get until the very last area, and there are coals and infusion gems you can't get until you're mostly done with the game. I assume they want to incentivize NG+ but that's pretty dumb considering how hard this game already is.

it does suck that a lot of cool stuff is relegated to the endgame or as an either or choice via boss soul transposition, but ng+ has always been easier in souls games than ng. haven't done it in this one, but in demon's souls, dark souls 1, and dark souls 2, it wasn't balanced properly so you were waaaaay too strong for a long time, and in bloodborne you are about as strong as you were in ng for the whole game. ng++ and beyond are where it starts getting harder because you're about capped out for scaling by then while the enemies just keep going

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
What's a good bleed weapon? I'm still going vanilla right now with Astoria great sword and have my halberd as backup but em they are only +6 right now. Wondering if it's prudent to even have a bleed weapon though katana might be nice

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So here's a question, can you invade people if you've beaten the boss? I can't remember if you can or not. Secondly, does beating the Dancer early unlock the castle, and does it lock you out of invading in early areas or any NPC questlines?

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Apr 21, 2016

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Nuebot posted:

So here's a question, can you invade people if you've beaten the boss? I can't remember if you can or not. Secondly, does beating the Dancer unlock the castle, and does it lock you out of invading in early areas or any NPC questlines?

yup, yup, nope

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turtlicious posted:

Dark Magic Explained

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TbK4UVHz5A33CzpBkMs81o8OOB9aWqQU3UEWVRPkXeY/edit?usp=sharing

WrightOfWay posted:

That spreadsheet is private.

Oh I fixed it. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TbK4UVHz5A33CzpBkMs81o8OOB9aWqQU3UEWVRPkXeY/edit?usp=sharing

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Awesome, now to get good enough to beat dancer and Ocieros without dying on a fresh character so I can get the moonlight sword early.

Also so I can get the artorias armor on another character and invade people as artorias.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

So if you join rosaries fingers even once that whole dark moon quest is gone?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDZDaQKsydw

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

So if you join rosaries fingers even once that whole dark moon quest is gone?

sirris goes hostile (technically; she'll just stand on the stairs in firelink forever if you never talk to her, so you can just do that if you don't want to kill her) if you join them, but you can finish the questline and then join the covenant

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

it does suck that a lot of cool stuff is relegated to the endgame or as an either or choice via boss soul transposition, but ng+ has always been easier in souls games than ng. haven't done it in this one, but in demon's souls, dark souls 1, and dark souls 2, it wasn't balanced properly so you were waaaaay too strong for a long time, and in bloodborne you are about as strong as you were in ng for the whole game. ng++ and beyond are where it starts getting harder because you're about capped out for scaling by then while the enemies just keep going

Really? I suppose I could respec and put some points into Vigor (it's usually the last stat I put points into, if ever), which could balance it out. I was thinking more in terms on "bosses and enemies are already two-shotting me in NG, how fast will I die in NG+" but I guess that's very much my own fault :downs:

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Is anyone up to NG+ ?

Is everything in exactly the same position or do they change some stuff up?

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
I fought a boss with a good sunbro and we cleaned house first try, which was kind of disappointing since I liked the zone. Someone else fought that same boss and it was total bullshit and their build didn't work and their phantoms sucked and it was the defining moment of their entire game when they landed that last desperate hit.

Tell me those good stories about fighting a thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

So what's so great about dark moon blade that people want to grind these chance encounters? I mean don't get me wrong I run policecops covenants because they always bring you somewhere interesting at least when it happens once in a blue moon

Also is it even worthwhile trying to parry in a coop boss session? Does that even work