Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Archenteron posted:

Is there a recommended Armada builder website? The resources for that game aren't as fleshed out as xwing
Fabs is good for generating a list.

Eimi posted:

I prefer Armada Warlords.

It has scanned visuals, lists where all the stuff comes from, and in general is really slick.
Yup, Warlords is very good. If you make an account you can save the lists you make and come back to them easily. You can also choose to publish the lists so others see, or keep them private.
http://armadawarlords.hivelabs.solutions/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Thirding Armada Warlords as my site of choice.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
New to armada.

Han Solo can activate a max of two times a turn if you have some officer along, right?

Cause we were definitely playing that wrong.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

fnordcircle posted:

New to armada.

Han Solo can activate a max of two times a turn if you have some officer along, right?

Cause we were definitely playing that wrong.

Right. If you've got *Adar Tallon along the way it would go is:

1) During the turn of the ship on which Adar is on, he activates however many fighters his ship's squadron command allows, including Han.

2) Adar uses his special ability to flip Han's marker to unactivated.

3) During the fighter phase (or possibly another ship's activation with squadron command) Han gets to go again.

Note, however, that this is incompatible with using Han's special "first in the turn" activation because Adar's ability to re-energize fighters only works for fighters he activated with his squadron command. If Han already activated himself at the beginning of the round, then he's done.

e: Too put it another way, no, Han normally does not get to activate twice a round. His special ability only lets him activate first in the round...not first in the round and then again during normal play.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 15, 2016

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Went to an Armada spring tournament today, went 9-1 three times in a row, won easily. Lots of erratic lists that didn't seem to have much focus. Ran the same thing as the store championship a while back. I'm seeing some pretty low turnout for these events, and not many familiar faces or people running what I would consider to be seriously competitive fleets. I'm still hoping that FFG doesn't neglect this game so much that nobody bothers anymore.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Reynold posted:

Went to an Armada spring tournament today, went 9-1 three times in a row, won easily. Lots of erratic lists that didn't seem to have much focus. Ran the same thing as the store championship a while back. I'm seeing some pretty low turnout for these events, and not many familiar faces or people running what I would consider to be seriously competitive fleets. I'm still hoping that FFG doesn't neglect this game so much that nobody bothers anymore.

Yeah, even the Region I went to last weekend only had 14 people. Compared to the 50 or so the upcoming X Wing regional the numbers difference is stark. I'm not sure if this is unusual for slower games of this type, as Xwing is both older but faster, but just that difference in numbers is stark.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

There are a few people selling off their collection/promo cards in the UK Armada facebook group. When I play a game I usually have to go to my mate's house because playing in the LGS is difficult since in order to get a double table you have to book more than a week in advance. I'm still having a lot of fun with the game and I'm enjoying it more than when only Wave I was out, but I don't know how well it bodes for the system, and Armada seems to play second fiddle to the crushing popularity of X-Wing.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Tekopo posted:

There are a few people selling off their collection/promo cards in the UK Armada facebook group. When I play a game I usually have to go to my mate's house because playing in the LGS is difficult since in order to get a double table you have to book more than a week in advance. I'm still having a lot of fun with the game and I'm enjoying it more than when only Wave I was out, but I don't know how well it bodes for the system, and Armada seems to play second fiddle to the crushing popularity of X-Wing.

If getting a 6' table is an issue, does that mean your LGS doesn't get much mass battle gaming on? Or that it does and you have to compete with the GW crowd for space?

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

My store has a single 6 x 4 table and a lot of 4 x 4s, so we built a 6 x 3 cardboard table extender to give us play space on the 4x4s so we could get multiple games in at once.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Ugleb posted:

If getting a 6' table is an issue, does that mean your LGS doesn't get much mass battle gaming on? Or that it does and you have to compete with the GW crowd for space?
Half of the space uses smaller tables for the Magic crowd, the rest is either used to play X-Wing (pretty popular) or miniature games that use a single 3' table for game (I see a lot of these). And yeah, there is competition as well because sometimes you do see the occasional game of 40k as well.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

There are no dedicated game maps for Armada out at the moment are there? I suppose the other alternative would be just to put 2 X-Wing Mats together?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

There are no dedicated game maps for Armada out at the moment are there? I suppose the other alternative would be just to put 2 X-Wing Mats together?

Try Deepcut studios.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Val Helmethead posted:

My store has a single 6 x 4 table and a lot of 4 x 4s, so we built a 6 x 3 cardboard table extender to give us play space on the 4x4s so we could get multiple games in at once.

My MC30 bumps were so on point this game :flashfap:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Tried out Rebellion today and it's really,really fun! Only 2 problems arose.

1.Combat is pretty unfun and tedious and really makes you not want to get into big battles, which honestly was part of the appeal to me, but overall you're not gonna spend much time on it in the grand scheme of things so i guess it's okay.

2. Fantasy Flight's legendary bad wording came into effect when it comes to describing the Command phase. But luckily the mistake on our part was easily caught and fixed. Happened only the one time over the entire game
Definitly miles better than Impass' rules were.

Probably am gonna have a team game tommorow night so will see how that plays out.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Probably am gonna have a team game tommorow night so will see how that plays out.

Definitely let us know how the team game works out. I've heard some mixed reports about how the leader action splitting is weird but having a partner to strategize with seems perfect for this game. I'm wondering if it's better to just play the normal 1v1 rules with extra players or do the full team game.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Combat being an unfun slog seems to be a pretty common complaint, and it also seems like a pretty loving big dealbreaker for a $100 game about a galactic civil war.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah I got to play Rebellion and it was distinctively alright, not that great but not that bad. I bought it for a pretty substantial discount and split the cost with a friend of mine, which is why I got it at all, since otherwise I would have skipped on it. My biggest issues are the combat system: I hate that sometimes you just end up having dud hands of tactical cards and there is nothing that you can really do about it, and overall I feel that the cards that don't require an activation are much better than cards that do require one. The objectives are pretty badly design as well, IMO: in my first (and so far only) game, the rebellion won after destroying a couple of ships, including TIE Fighters. That got them one objective point. For comparison, getting to Coruscant, invading it and removing all imperial presence there gets you two objective points. One seems a lot easier than the other.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I have one of these for xwing, I plan on getting a 3x6 very soon

http://www.ds-tone.com/space-mats/

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Ezekiel_980 posted:

I have one of these for xwing, I plan on getting a 3x6 very soon

http://www.ds-tone.com/space-mats/

Are they too smooth or slide-y?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tekopo posted:

Yeah I got to play Rebellion and it was distinctively alright, not that great but not that bad. I bought it for a pretty substantial discount and split the cost with a friend of mine, which is why I got it at all, since otherwise I would have skipped on it. My biggest issues are the combat system: I hate that sometimes you just end up having dud hands of tactical cards and there is nothing that you can really do about it, and overall I feel that the cards that don't require an activation are much better than cards that do require one. The objectives are pretty badly design as well, IMO: in my first (and so far only) game, the rebellion won after destroying a couple of ships, including TIE Fighters. That got them one objective point. For comparison, getting to Coruscant, invading it and removing all imperial presence there gets you two objective points. One seems a lot easier than the other.

To be fair, Heart of the Empire returns to hand so you get 2vp every turn until the Empire kicks you out. The combat definitely needs a massive overhaul, making results a little more consistent and making the action cards have some inherent use might go a long way

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
So the inevitable expansion will end up fixing everything and making it awesome like the TI3 expansions did?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

2. Fantasy Flight's legendary bad wording came into effect when it comes to describing the Command phase. But luckily the mistake on our part was easily caught and fixed. Happened only the one time over the entire game
Definitly miles better than Impass' rules were.

Could you explain how? I've played five-six turns of it so far, and have not run into any issues.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Combat is pretty unfun and tedious and really makes you not want to get into big battles, which honestly was part of the appeal to me, but overall you're not gonna spend much time on it in the grand scheme of things so i guess it's okay.

Sounds like it's true to the source material at least.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

SlyFrog posted:

Could you explain how? I've played five-six turns of it so far, and have not run into any issues.

The wording on it led us to think that during the command phase you either moved dudes around or did missions, as in you were fully committed to doing one or the other for the turn and coulden't do anything else. I had completely missed the part where it mentions you alternate taking turns doing this until you both pass.

Like i said before the error on our part was caught early on because the rebel player got a card who's effects would make no sense the way we were playing it.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

The wording on it led us to think that during the command phase you either moved dudes around or did missions, as in you were fully committed to doing one or the other for the turn and coulden't do anything else. I had completely missed the part where it mentions you alternate taking turns doing this until you both pass.

Like i said before the error on our part was caught early on because the rebel player got a card who's effects would make no sense the way we were playing it.

I guess I don't get how that is their "legendary bad wording." I don't have the rules in front of me, but I thought it pretty clearly said you can do one or the other with each leader (and were not limited to doing only one or the other each turn)?

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Tekopo posted:

The objectives are pretty badly design as well, IMO: in my first (and so far only) game, the rebellion won after destroying a couple of ships, including TIE Fighters. That got them one objective point. For comparison, getting to Coruscant, invading it and removing all imperial presence there gets you two objective points. One seems a lot easier than the other.
C
I've played a couple of games of Rebellion, and so far I really like it but I'm still trying to figure it out.

On the objectives, I'm not sure what the ship one you are referring to is, but the Coruscant one also returns to the rebel hand after they play it. In one of my first games that card came up when we didn't know it existed, and the rebels absolutely crushed with it by playing a mission card that let them drop units into a rebel system. I think the mission exists to keep the Empire honest and keep the system defended.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
Have any of you who've played Rebellion also played War of the Ring? The two seem to be in the same wheelhouse and I'd be interested to hear how they compare/contrast to one another.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

im pretty sure as the empire you need to go through the objective deck and see what is there in order to make informed choices, but this does seem to be against the spirit of the game, I've been told about the coruscant one going back to the hand, but my opponent just mentioned it at the end of the game and I didn't get to read it. Gonna dig through the objectives tomorrow and do a bit of analysis to see what's what.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
After playing a few games I definitely started to feel like card knowledge was a big part of the game for both sides. Even the Rebel player would be helped by knowing the objective deck ahead of time since they can start making moves towards objective cards they don't have in their hand yet, and bluff what objectives they might have to lead the Empire in the wrong direction. I feel like it will end up being like Twilight Struggle in that regard - it's a completely different game if both players have intimate knowledge of the cards and what their opponent could hold.

I'll agree with everyone that the combat itself is kind of meh, but that seems like such a small part of the game and most combat encounters I experienced were over pretty quickly.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Is this where I ask about Armada? I plan on getting the core set and Home One, but what imperial expansion do I get so that both sides will be fairly even? Another Victory class? Or do I just go whole hog with the Imperial class?

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is this where I ask about Armada? I plan on getting the core set and Home One, but what imperial expansion do I get so that both sides will be fairly even? Another Victory class? Or do I just go whole hog with the Imperial class?

If you're getting the MC80, you almost certainly should get an Imperial class too because the MC80 will eat everything else alive. I'd actually recommend starting with an Assault Frigate and a Gladiator because they're a little cheaper and give both sides some interesting new options, but I understand the appeal of playing with the big boys. The MC80 and Imperial should be fairly balanced with each other, so if you're just throwing them and the core set ships at each other, you should be able to put together equal point-value lists that would give a fun game. If you want to expand again, I'd probably recommend the Rebel and Imperial squadron packs next since they add some nice options to your squadron game beyond just X-Wings and TIE Fighters.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm actually strongly considering selling my Armada stuff because I've literally played two games of it and don't foresee ever playing it again. If you don't mind buying secondhand Big Mean Jerk, I'm willing to sell you all the stuff I've got for the price of a core set (one core set, an Assault Frigate, a CR90 and Nebulon B expac, and a Rebel Fighters pack).

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 22, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kai Tave posted:

I'm actually strongly considering selling my Armada stuff because I've literally played two games of it and don't foresee ever playing it again. If you don't mind buying secondhand Big Mean Jerk, I'm willing to sell you all the stuff I've got for the price of a core set (one core set, an Assault Frigate, a CR90 and Nebulon B expac, and a Rebel Fighters pack).

It's tempting, but for now I'm buying my Armada stuff with Miniature Market store credit. If you still have it after I play a game or two, I'll shoot you a message.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Aight, cool.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

blackmongoose posted:

If you're getting the MC80, you almost certainly should get an Imperial class too because the MC80 will eat everything else alive. I'd actually recommend starting with an Assault Frigate and a Gladiator because they're a little cheaper and give both sides some interesting new options, but I understand the appeal of playing with the big boys. The MC80 and Imperial should be fairly balanced with each other, so if you're just throwing them and the core set ships at each other, you should be able to put together equal point-value lists that would give a fun game. If you want to expand again, I'd probably recommend the Rebel and Imperial squadron packs next since they add some nice options to your squadron game beyond just X-Wings and TIE Fighters.

Here's a new player's guide that I put together awhile back, and yes, if you got Home One you need an ISD for balance. But get an Assault Frigate / Gladiator next.
http://xwingtactics.blogspot.com/p/new-players-guide.html

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Trip report from the 3 player game i had last night. I was the sole rebel player against 2 Imperials, with one new player on the imps side.

Overall not that great. The core gameplay itself didn't really suffer but having to play as 2 players when you are only one was tedious and kind of annoying, especially as the game goes on and the rounds get longer and longer because you're having to split your leaders in half. By the time it'd get to my "general's" turn i'd have forgotten what missions i had placed down and why sometimes.

The Imps reported having it worse since while they were both working together, they mentioned it being hard to try and strategist without messing up whatever plans the other might have. On the plus side, the splitting up of the duties seemed to help our new player learn the game a bit easier as he was only in charge of mostly ground battles and the missions as the general. But once he had picked up on how the game works he quickly agreed with the other player how having a second player made things harder overall.

Granted, none of us have had any experience with wargames more complex than Risk and i'm sure there are other wargames out there that handle having multiple players much better than this one. But overall i'd say this one doesn't really lend itself well to more than 2 players. I personally would like to try again with 4 and see if having a full team on each side would help anything at all, but judging by how bad the imps had it i don't know if it's really worth it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Kai Tave posted:

Aight, cool.

If that offer is still open in a week I might take you up on it (if BMG doesn't).

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

From what I've seen of Rebellion "team play" is just an excuse to put "2-4 players" on the box

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

From what I've seen of Rebellion "team play" is just an excuse to put "2-4 players" on the box

Pretty much exactly right, it looks better if sombody going through the game shop sees this big, lovely box and sees 2-4 players and thinks "oh wow, me and my friends love star wars, and this looks like some kind of strategy game, this looks like a great fit for us!"

Then they drop the hundo on it and suddenly about 3 and half hours of everybody lives are gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

Are they too smooth or slide-y?

Slightly sticker than the official x-wing mats.