Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Rode Chuckwalla today... few notes:

1. The Tuono reminded me why I bought it and why I will actually keep it a long time. It's the perfect all around weapon. I got the suspension dialed in by the dude from SST who got my Ducati working correctly - Ohlins rear was perfect, the forks (Showas) need a valve kit or to be bandaided with thicker weight oil since he maxed out the rebound and said it still needed a little more, along with something I didn't quite follow about how he wanted to pull some sag but since I was already maxed out on rebound it would make the bike worse something or other. Goddamn this bike is good. Comfortable, more than enough power, and it TURNS IN so well while still being stable in the corner. Headshake like a motherfucker is the only negative thing I can say about it.

I have the rear extended 5mm over stock and the front is dropped 5mm.

2. At some point it started raining and it kinda turned into an open trackday where only 4 of us actually rode in it. Sketchy as gently caress... spinning up everywhere. I put in 25-30 minutes before one of the other dudes highsided his R6 in-front of me and they redflagged the session. I called it quits at this point so I didn't end up with a paperweight.

3. Chuckwalla is still my favorite track. It's like it was designed for bikes - none of that straight, heavy braking zone, corner, straight, repeat stuff. It rewards corner speed.

4. I will feel really bad when I crash this thing if I keep tracking it.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

BlackMK4 posted:

Rode Chuckwalla today... few notes:

1. The Tuono reminded me why I bought it and why I will actually keep it a long time. It's the perfect all around weapon. I got the suspension dialed in by the dude from SST who got my Ducati working correctly - Ohlins rear was perfect, the forks (Showas) need a valve kit or to be bandaided with thicker weight oil since he maxed out the rebound and said it still needed a little more, along with something I didn't quite follow about how he wanted to pull some sag but since I was already maxed out on rebound it would make the bike worse something or other. Goddamn this bike is good. Comfortable, more than enough power, and it TURNS IN so well while still being stable in the corner. Headshake like a motherfucker is the only negative thing I can say about it.

I have the rear extended 5mm over stock and the front is dropped 5mm.

2. At some point it started raining and it kinda turned into an open trackday where only 4 of us actually rode in it. Sketchy as gently caress... spinning up everywhere. I put in 25-30 minutes before one of the other dudes highsided his R6 in-front of me and they redflagged the session. I called it quits at this point so I didn't end up with a paperweight.

3. Chuckwalla is still my favorite track. It's like it was designed for bikes - none of that straight, heavy braking zone, corner, straight, repeat stuff. It rewards corner speed.

4. I will feel really bad when I crash this thing if I keep tracking it.

Raising that front back up might help a bit with the headshake, but you're gonna lose some turn-in.
Then again, so would a steering damper (I thought they came stock?)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It has a Sachs steering damper stock, which is supposed to be pretty terrible. I plan on finding a stock Ohlins ZX6R/ZX10R Ohlins unit, replacing the internals with the real Ohlins stuff for $85 through Dan Kyle, and using a sleeve to make the stock Tuono mounts work. I like the turn-in, I don't want to gently caress with it. :)

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla
Yay for Tuonos and trackdays!

I'm making good on my resolutions to Do More Trackdays this year and just finished my second event in as many months.

I know, I know... with all the garbage in the background, it looks like the local landfill, but trust me, it's Buttonwillow. :haw:

Incidentally, for the SoCal-ish goons out there, that dude on the FZ-09 is the parts guy from Cal Coast Motorsports in Ventura, said they're selling SETS of Q3's for $225. Seems like a deal. Contemplating getting a set to replace my Pilot Power 3's, assuming that's an upgrade?

I'm also wondering if I should just buy an old 600 for a track bike and be done with it (Z3n, you know me best, what should I do?). I'd be sad if I ever binned the Tuono.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

tarzanspuma posted:

I'm also wondering if I should just buy an old 600 for a track bike and be done with it (Z3n, you know me best, what should I do?). I'd be sad if I ever binned the Tuono.
Dang that looks like a fun bike, torque is great fun on the track.

From last page:

Z3n posted:

Are you willing to sacrifice out and out speed to force better riding technique? SV650.

Do you want to have fun, go fast, and learn to ride faster, slower? 600.

Do you just wanna get slide ways? Supermoto.

Do you just wanna be that guy everyone on track hates? 150+HP bike of any variation where you make it to the throttle stop on corner exit and park it in the corners.

I'm firmly in the last category now.

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla

NitroSpazzz posted:

torque is great fun on the track.

Z3n posted:

"get a 600" and learn to ride faster

This is my dilemma.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Sounds like you want a Ducati :v: Or you could buy a Mille/RSV1000

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 13, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
No TC, Mille would be my recommendation. Maybe an RC51 but they're so uncomfortable.

If you want electronics, gently caress it, man, buy any of the TC enabled liter bikes. Zx10, later model cross plane r1, s1000rr, rsv4, etc.

Obligatory SuperDuke.

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla

BlackMK4 posted:

Sounds like you want a Ducati :v: Or you could buy a Mille/RSV1000

Definitely don't want a Ducati... Watched Z3n play a tune on his 999's timing belts, and I've got no ear for music. :v:

Z3n posted:

No TC, Mille would be my recommendation. Maybe an RC51 but they're so uncomfortable.

If you want electronics, gently caress it, man, buy any of the TC enabled liter bikes. Zx10, later model cross plane r1, s1000rr, rsv4, etc.

Well, two votes for the Mille/RSV, I can't argue too much with that.

As for the high dollar, full electronics, 180hp options, I just don't want to be that guy. Yet...

And besides, at my skill level, I really don't want to be throwing one of those down the road, either.

I guess it all comes down to whether there's much difference between a cheap 600 and a cheap RSV/Mille? I.e. will I learn more about riding fast on one vs. the other?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Fuckin... Dominion event postponed due to the track not quite being ready yet :manning: I mean, new track pains and all, but it would have meant a straight month of trackdays for me!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Inu you were right, jennings is so much fuckin fun!!

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Sure is! What'd you think of the track itself? Take any video?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

The surface is amazing, and it's really nice to be able to see so clear across. Felt perfect for the SV, unlike the faster summit main and slower shenny. Ripping first half, technical second half. It was great. Turn 8 was a bitch, took all day to figure out, a guy from my crew highsided his aprilia there (he's fine).

The food in the shack was way better than I expected, too.

Turn 8 is the toe slider killer

M42 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 19, 2016

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Lookin' good!

Turn 8 can be tricky and is the most dangerous turn on the track. It's a lot sharper and slower than it looks, and you want to aggressively apex at the strips (inside of where the big patch is) or the track surface will have a field day with you. T10 was giving me the most trouble when I was there 2 times ago, though. It's actually the slowest turn on the track and your apex/exit are crucial for setting up 11 and 12. If you go through 10 wrong, you can push yourself out too far coming out of 11 (almost ran off the track once). Another thing that can happen is being leaned too far over and having to maintenance throttle out of 11 (or at least get on it less aggressively), where you'd normally drive hard to go through 12 as fast as possible. I got bucked off my seat during one of the morning sessions because I spun up the rear out of 11 - closest I've ever came to highsiding.

I've never tried the food there. The menu always seemed like playing with fire at a trackday.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Hey guys, I just signed up for my first track day with N2 at Roebling next month. Super nervous and lost in the sauce on what to expect, how to prep and etc! All I got from their manuals and stuff is to make sure I have gear (I have everything but leathers) disconnect my headlights and brake lights, tape everything up, and bring tools and gas.

Any advice for this track noob on stuff to bring, what to expect, what I should do about the leathers situation?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Kaliber posted:

Hey guys, I just signed up for my first track day with N2 at Roebling next month. Super nervous and lost in the sauce on what to expect, how to prep and etc! All I got from their manuals and stuff is to make sure I have gear (I have everything but leathers) disconnect my headlights and brake lights, tape everything up, and bring tools and gas.

Any advice for this track noob on stuff to bring, what to expect, what I should do about the leathers situation?
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jaFjx2z8fTdxsdbfY_uINUbSZGcl14lMWXut4K3SfyA/edit?pref=2&pli=1

That's a 101 guide I wrote a little while back to hand out to people at work (and while I'm here, if there's anything anyone thinks should be added/changed, I'm open). There's some area specific stuff so you can just ignore that.

Your best solution to the leathers situation would be to buy some. I don't know if N2 rents suits at all, but it's never sounded too appealing to me either way. If you have a friend who wears the same size as you, maybe you could borrow one? Otherwise, scour online/craigslist/etc and try to find something used in your size, assuming you don't want to buy new. WERA forums often have good poo poo on them and a huge number of them are in the SE so it'd be convienent: http://forums.13x.com/index.php?forums/race-gear-and-accessories-for-sale.56/

M42
Nov 12, 2012

-Inu- posted:

Lookin' good!

Turn 8 can be tricky and is the most dangerous turn on the track. It's a lot sharper and slower than it looks, and you want to aggressively apex at the strips (inside of where the big patch is) or the track surface will have a field day with you. T10 was giving me the most trouble when I was there 2 times ago, though. It's actually the slowest turn on the track and your apex/exit are crucial for setting up 11 and 12. If you go through 10 wrong, you can push yourself out too far coming out of 11 (almost ran off the track once). Another thing that can happen is being leaned too far over and having to maintenance throttle out of 11 (or at least get on it less aggressively), where you'd normally drive hard to go through 12 as fast as possible. I got bucked off my seat during one of the morning sessions because I spun up the rear out of 11 - closest I've ever came to highsiding.

I've never tried the food there. The menu always seemed like playing with fire at a trackday.

What sorted me out on T8 was actually entering T7 properly. The CR specifically told us to do an inside-ish line entry into T7 (as opposed to the outside late apex line, like a street rider would take) and I promptly forgot. Once I started doing it right, T8 was fine. Also not entering it so fast. My other problem was coming out of 9 too wide and having to stupid cut across the track width to line up 10 properly.

Speaking of highsiding, here's my buds crash vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zj3iWQBP9Y

That corner is pretty deceptive the first time you hit it, I overcooked it the same way as well. I think he crashed because you can hear him throttling out AND leaning harder at the same time, probably because he realized the turn was way tighter than expected. Dude's first TD, probably didn't play too well with the lack of beginner lessons at jennings.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I haven't been to that many tracks but I've never seen numbers on the corners like that. Is it set up just for bike track days or something?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Yeah, he definitely misjudged how tight the turn is. Instead of tipping into 8 from the outside, he made a straight shot from 7 with (it appears) the intent to apex at the 8 marker and take it to the outside of the track, but as he was accelerating out he realized that line would put him in the grass - so he had to give it more lean and lost the rear, then panic chopped the throttle and blasted off. Sucks that happened. Hope he got some good sessions in and isn't discouraged from doing more trackdays.

The race line through that section is something along the lines of this (bear with my inability to color within the lines):

Basically you tip in hard into 7 around the time the track starts to curve, hit mid track at about the point where the rumblestrips end, then flick directly into 8 and stay inside until you can drive out to mid track in order to set up for 9.

I'm not sure how wide you were coming out of 9, but you can go into 10 from mid track.

edit:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I haven't been to that many tracks but I've never seen numbers on the corners like that. Is it set up just for bike track days or something?
Jennings is a bike-only track. It's pretty beginner friendly (aside from a couple of turns) because it's literally just connect the dots. No trying to decipher what the gently caress 2 sideways cones mean or why the brake markers somehow got moved 20 feet out of place.

edit2: I actually opened photoshop so the line mockup doesn't look like a 2 year old drew it. The arrows show which way the bike is leaned; basically just flick the bike from right to left as the arrows indicate.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 20, 2016

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Nice, stole some things from that for my track day doc.

Was going over the bike a bit last night and noticed I need to rebuild my rear brake master cylinder which reminded me I don't think I ever touched my rear brake at the last track day other than in the pits. I'd think I could slightly reduce my braking distance and use it to adjust my line mid corner but how many people ignore the rear brake on track?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Everybody. Using it to adjust line is a street thing.

I mean, you could prob use it for line in white group if you really want, but it won't help with braking distance at all.

M42 fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Apr 20, 2016

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

I RARELY use it, and a former coworker who has been racing/doing trackdays twice as long as I've been alive is the same. Both of us leave air in the line so it doesn't bite when we do use it. (Complete side note, but it's a fun story: He actually started the first track day org in the country, which was later sold to STT. Nothing of the sort existed 30 years ago or whenever he was racing, so he would often sign up for races just to ride the morning practice, but wouldn't do the actual race. Eventually had the brilliant idea to use tracks for something other than competitive riding. He's the one who crafted the N/I/A/R system that's used by nearly every modern org. 100% true, no BS.)

OTOH, I'm friends with a couple of people who race AMA or MotoAmerica or whatever the gently caress it's called now, and they're constantly stomping on the rear and getting the bike sideways. Same with a good friend who used to stunt. I think people who ride dirt/flattrack/etc who are comfortable with a loose bike tend to utilize the rear more.

It is good for adjusting lines and is imperative if you run off track, though :v:

edit: If you use the rear brake you can scare the everliving gently caress out of the Novice group you're control riding, as well as the cornerworkers!

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 20, 2016

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Ok that's kind of what I thought, glad I'm not missing out on anything. I'm used to using it a lot from dirt/trials and supermoto but there's so much going on already adding that in for a tiny bit of benefit didn't seem worth it. Haven't had the rear get real loose on the 125 yet, a little slide at one point but nothing exciting.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 22, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I use the rear brake sometimes when backing it in. It's mostly a vanity thing.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Envious it's track season for all yall.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Envious y'all can even ride on the track. I've got another 8 months before I can ride and this thread is the worst reminder of that :argh:

Nice Jennings pics though!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Speaking of pics, I forgot my fave one

This is how far my general size will let me hang off the bike :cawg:

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
body position game on point :cheers:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I'm the gopro aiming at the sun

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

GoPro shooting off in space all cheerful :buddy:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

So what's better sun cam or rear end cam?

Short tail section makes for pretty useless video

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah the fuckin ram mount was not having that poo poo all day. It's as tight as I can crank it, still rotates side to side easily.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

M42 posted:

Yeah the fuckin ram mount was not having that poo poo all day. It's as tight as I can crank it, still rotates side to side easily.

sannnnnd itss balllsssss.

E:VVV gently caress. tube patch kit squares.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 22, 2016

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I mean at the fork stem mount, the ball joint is fine.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Anyone here planning on going to COTA in July? Think I'm going to hit this one up before I move again....

Circuit of The Americas
July 9/10, 2016. $390/day
Ride Smart will be back at COTA on July 9/10, 2016! We know it's "warm" in July, and so does COTA. They were kind enough to give us a bit of a "heat" discount incentive, and we passed it on to you!

Registration for the event will open next week, on Thursday, April 28, at 6:00pm CST. Circuit of The Americas is, in our opinion, the finest track in the world, and Ride Smart is proud to be able to offer trackdays on this spectacular track. Sign up next Monday and be one of the few to be able to say "I've ridden COTA!"

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Holy poo poo that's an expensive track day, although I can't say I'm surprised since they're renting out a place that size.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

fahken track day, khed

Gnarly rain sessions for the first two. My worst turn was all tar so it was basically slip n slide. Had a lot of issues with my legs, mostly because my boots are too big and my pegs don't have a "point" to pivot on, so I could never get consistent placement on the peg and kept grinding my toes. Also my outside leg almost came off a couple times when I hit a bump leaned over. Shorty problems :laffo:

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Awesome shots! I really, really need to do a track day. I'm just apprehensive about bringing my only bike there, but I just slapped Q3's on my Tuono which should work fine on track...

M42
Nov 12, 2012

This my only bike. I got over that feeling as soon as I did my first TD :madmax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Your BP is so much better than mine :mad:

Have you considered getting higher rear set plates / adjustable rear sets to lift the pegs more and let you lock in to the bike easier? If you're running N footpeg brackets the S ones are a bit higher.

• Locked thread