Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Nuebot posted:

I'm sure it was just a typo

Why do I keep doing this :downs:

But yeah, it's weird that Aldia didn't show up. I'd expect to see him in the DLC, if nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Can someone just go ahead and spoil the effect of Havel's Ring for me? I still haven't decided between it and the spell. The spell seems cool but I'd have to pump faith and mehhh gently caress that, but I'm curious as to how much extra equip load I'd get, even if I'm already sub-50%

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Andrast posted:

The roll below 30% is better but i'm pretty sure you don't get any extra iframes with it.

Eh, might as well put some armour on but keep the Carthus ring then.

My highbrow swordsman concept. :saddowns:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dazerbeams posted:

The smoldering lake is an awful, useless place.

Yes grab the Estus shard, bone dust and pyromancy tome and get the gently caress out. Kill the boss if you must.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

quadrophrenic posted:

Can someone just go ahead and spoil the effect of Havel's Ring for me? I still haven't decided between it and the spell. The spell seems cool but I'd have to pump faith and mehhh gently caress that, but I'm curious as to how much extra equip load I'd get, even if I'm already sub-50%

It gives a %increase to your weight limit of 15%, NG+/++ have better versions I think? No idea on what values they have.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Steve2911 posted:

Invasions attempted: 15+
Invasions won: 1

I am the PvP master.

I'm probably around 0:60 at the moment, but I got too bummed to keep count anymore. I barely killed one phantom before a humiliating death last night but that doesn't net me anything. :smith:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://gfycat.com/PassionateTameDoctorfish not mine, sorry if posted already

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

This thread moves too fast, but not long ago in time and hundreds of posts ago in the thread, some people were talking about the sellsword twinblades, specifically how to make the dual wielding work. I can't say I've used them extensively, but I think I've probably got a grasp of how they work and why you sometimes do less damage with the L1s than the R1s.

The L1s hit twice, but have a modifier that cuts their damage significantly, I'd guess to something like 65% of the R1. However, because each hit has to pass through defense, unless you're beating the enemy's defense by a lot, you'll do equal to less damage with the L1. As your AR gets higher, you'll start to do more. Effects that increase your AR, like sacred oath or carthus beacon are very good for these weapons since they help each hit beat defense by a larger margin.

That's the obvious part. What I've seen a lot of people get wrong, however, is that they're intended for weapon buffs. That's not the case. They're not a good weapon for buff builds. While buffs in DS3 resemble those in DS1 in that they add flat damage, there's a critical difference. DS3's buffs are modified by the damage multiplier attached to a specific attack. Try out the rapier stance R2 multihit to test it. Each hit only gets a small amount of damage added by the buff. Since a buff like flame arc or magic weapon adds flat damage that is then modified by the AR modifier on the sellsword dual-wield and is affected independently by defense, an elemental buff spell practically guarantees that the R1 will outdamage the L1. I guess it could be okay if you have something like 40 dex and 50 int, but that's not likely if you enjoy not dying. Curved swords with a normal two-handed stance like the falchion or the carthus curved sword are beastly for buff builds, though, just like in DS1.

This is very appropriate for your avatar.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's a difficult word to spell. :colbert:

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Holy lol, Greirat died just in time for me to need Titanite Scales

When do the Handmaiden's items resupply?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Master of the Poopblade is a nice character concept, though.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Never but you find a thing later on that makes her sell unlimited scales, chunks, and twinkling.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tequila Sunrise posted:

If you give her his ashes and haven't bought his 3 you can from her. Otherwise near the end of the game you can get infinite.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Is this actually confirmed? I swear the sub-30 animation is much quicker and goes further than the others.

My understanding is that you roll further sub 30, but don't gain iframes.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I need them NOOOOOW. I'm doing a Dancer's Blades Dex/Str/light armor build. Where can I find some of those big lizards? I've cleared out all of them from, maybe until Itrhyl?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Greirat is guaranteed to die if you send him out a third time right? Is there any advantage to doing that?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Oh man, and if you guys want PvP do Aldrich's Faithful. You will get summoned to that area every 30 seconds to murder someone.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Carthus beacon mostly sucks right? The duration is short and the damage buff isn't that great even after multiple combos. Has anyone figured out a use for this?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I need them NOOOOOW. I'm doing a Dancer's Blades Dex/Str/light armor build. Where can I find some of those big lizards? I've cleared out all of them from, maybe until Itrhyl?

If you already have the dancers done, take a left at the top of the ladder where you put the basin down and kill seath 2.0 then get the gesture after that, get your zen on next the dragon statue in the dungeon, and clear out that next area you find.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Greirat is guaranteed to die if you send him out a third time right? Is there any advantage to doing that?

When you retrieve his ashes he has more stuff.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

If you already have the dancers done, take a left at the top of the ladder where you put the basin down and kill seath 2.0 then get the gesture after that, get your zen on next the dragon statue in the dungeon, and clear out that next area you find.

Awesome, thank you.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Anyone else read the comic?
Aldrich is in it. Solaire kicks a mother.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I was able to solo the Dancer on my first go, though it took every drop of Estus I had. It's a pretty standard boss, the tricky part is that she hits like a train and you have no idea where her attacks will come from or when her combos stop.

Yhorm didn't go as well. Siegward died because I had no clue how to use the Storm Bringer. How was I supposed to know you needed to charge it? I didn't play Demon's Souls, From!

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

The only requirement in Demon's Soul is that you use it in the Storm King's arena.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dazerbeams posted:

The smoldering lake is an awful, useless place.

I just ran through to Horace, ran through to the ODK, then ran through getting shards and tomes and rolling to pick up whatever else. gently caress trying to fight in there.

quote:

Anyone else read the comic?
Aldrich is in it. Solaire kicks a mother.

lmao

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's not so bad, though I question the decision to make all the enemies' soul drops so low.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Oxxidation posted:

Yhorm didn't go as well. Siegward died because I had no clue how to use the Storm Bringer. How was I supposed to know you needed to charge it? I didn't play Demon's Souls, From!

That happened to me too, although I don't know if the fact it was the first time all game that I tried to use a weapon art was part of the problem.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Does anyone have a clear understanding of what the scaling letters actually mean this time? Do they represent a flat range, a range of percent modification to base AR, or they arbitrarily assigned on a per weapon basis with no relationship to the actual amount of extra damage you get? I ask because my hollowslayer, with a C in dex, gets more damage per point of dex than my sharp sellsword twinblades with A scaling.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oxxidation posted:

It's not so bad, though I question the decision to make all the enemies' soul drops so low.

You might as well just suicide run everywhere because there's zero reason to actually stop and kill anything. Like you get shards from every enemy but there's easier ways by then.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I don't know why I find this so amusing, but trying to infuse a dark sword with a dark gem gives it the prefix reinforced, instead of adding another dark to it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Cyberventurer posted:

I don't know why I find this so amusing, but trying to infuse a dark sword with a dark gem gives it the prefix reinforced, instead of adding another dark to it.

The dark dark sword of ultimate darkness.

Can you apply dark resin to it?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

poptart_fairy posted:

Guys, help me. As an unchigatana user that insists on keeping below 30% equip load - partly for the fast roll, partly because a shredded mask/chest/deserter trousers/fire keeper glove combination looks amazing - while having both carthus rings, I keep getting my rear end kicked in PVP. I'd win SO MUCH if I just put some armour on but it feels wrong to have beaten most of the game like this and chicken out just to get some extra tongues. :negative:

Only invade in areas with tough enemies and annoying hazards and lead the host into mobs. It's slower but I've managed to get 20 tongues in one day without actually fighting.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Do people really do that? Just blindly run into enemies to chase down an invader? Whenever I get a non-ganking invasion and try that, the host and any phantoms immediately go into turtle mode and stop trying to progress in the level at all, or slowly pull one enemy at a time so they can make their way to me without overextending. I haven't fought a single person so far that either didn't play it safe, summon a ton of help, use a seed of giants or keep so much pressure on me that I couldn't retaliate.

Edit: New invasion, I deal 1/10th of the host's health in damage in asingle hit, he hits me for over half. I don't know how I'm supposed to win anything.

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 21, 2016

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

This thread moves too fast, but not long ago in time and hundreds of posts ago in the thread, some people were talking about the sellsword twinblades, specifically how to make the dual wielding work. I can't say I've used them extensively, but I think I've probably got a grasp of how they work and why you sometimes do less damage with the L1s than the R1s.

Yeah I started as a Merc because I loved the move-set of this weapon. But I quickly found the damage it was doing just wasn't up to scratch, and the first hit always seemed to deal significantly less damage. It's a shame because I've now gone over to the broadsword, which has a much more boring looking moveset but simply does more damage.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

poptart_fairy posted:

Guys, help me. As an unchigatana user that insists on keeping below 30% equip load - partly for the fast roll, partly because a shredded mask/chest/deserter trousers/fire keeper glove combination looks amazing - while having both carthus rings, I keep getting my rear end kicked in PVP. I'd win SO MUCH if I just put some armour on but it feels wrong to have beaten most of the game like this and chicken out just to get some extra tongues. :negative:

vigor and just go ham, I go naked sometimes and it works fine as long as you get some momentum going and get them afraid of you

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cyberventurer posted:

Do people really do that? Just blindly run into enemies to chase down an invader? Whenever I get a non-ganking invasion and try that, the host and any phantoms immediately go into turtle mode and stop trying to progress in the level at all, or slowly pull one enemy at a time so they can make their way to me without overextending. I haven't fought a single person so far that either didn't play it safe, summon a ton of help, use a seed of giants or keep so much pressure on me that I couldn't retaliate.

What's really weird about that kind of poo poo, is that phantoms have a time limit, hosts don't. So really if a phantom is being a pest like that you could just sit down and wait it out until they realize you're not going to fall for it. Or just pull out some poison arrows and take some shots at them if you don't think you'll hit the enemies instead.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Somebody mentioned that they'd have loved to see the Cathedral of the Deep before poo poo went wrong, which is interesting, because I think the Cathedral of the Deep is doing business as usual as we find it.

The Deacons are just conferring by Aldrich's coffin 'cause they are praying he'll return, but the church itself is doing what it usually does: killing Undead and performing creepy rituals.

An interesting detail: none of the enemies in the Undead Settlement (besides the thieves) are actual settlers there. The basic worker enemies and the Evangelists are all agents of the church, who have basically finally finishing putting the town to the sword. The hanging corpses are all the actual peasants and villagers; for all we know, being Undead, they are bound so tightly like that so as to prevent escape or ressurection (or maybe it's just like the other Souls games, where eventually Undead just stay dead so you can collect items off their corpses).

It's a fun, grisly detail. Also notable that some sort of massacre occurred in the muddy part of the Cathedral. You find the Maiden's Set amongst a bunch of corpse piles. Since the Way of White is absent (and Thorolund is a no-show while Carim persists), this suggests to me that the Cathedral of the Deep may very well have once been a Way of White outpost, maybe their main base. At some point their rites were corrupted; presumably once the WoW got tired of Undead Hunts, they went after the Abyss, and in the process discovered the Deep and become gross zombie popes.

Environmental details! I have no idea why there are charred corpses covered in treasure in the Profaned Capital.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

this is some chicago world's fair serial killer poo poo

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

I saw a giant mud crab today... dreadful creatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Just got reamed by a straight sword doing 400 a hit. :wtc: