Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Beefeater1980 posted:

... He's got some weird compulsion to be a complete dick to everyone around him, even when being pleasant would cost absolutely nothing and someone has gone massively out of their way for him.

Have you never met people like this? I assure you, they exist in real life.

In fact, I worked for one, once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Beefeater1980 posted:

He's got some weird compulsion to be a complete dick to everyone around him, even when being pleasant would cost absolutely nothing and someone has gone massively out of their way for him.

So he's like Harry Dresden?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I'm a big Raymond Chandler fan so I really enjoy the Felix Castor books. The prose is certainly a step above Dresden, and it sticks to wallowing in the noire detective muck instead of transitioning into straight fantasy. In that tradition, everyone's a hard-nosed rear end in a top hat, including the protagonist.

It's a series about an exorcist getting rid of ghosts and demons, but themetically, the most evil fuckers are always just normal humans with understandable human motivations. Father Gwillam and JJ especially.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evilhat/992380872?token=bd3a9936

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Ohh A Cooperative card game? Im interested

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

He doesn't have a hat on the cover art so they clearly don't understand the character.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i'll be so disappointed if it's bad

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Comixology is having a sale on the Dresden Files comics. Anyone know how they are?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Lord Hydronium posted:

Comixology is having a sale on the Dresden Files comics. Anyone know how they are?

I've not read the book adaptation ones, but the ones that are new stories are good

Nickaroni
Feb 16, 2014

jivjov posted:

I've not read the book adaptation ones, but the ones that are new stories are good

I'd say Storm Front and Fool Moon work much better as comics than as novels.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Got through all of the released Dresden files, i enjoyed all of them and i think either Changes or Small favor is my favorite. Ghost story and cold days were a bit weak the whole thing with the kids and the lovely wizard was entirely uninteresting and felt like filler, and Nicodermus gets away again loving cmon.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Depths posted:

Got through all of the released Dresden files, i enjoyed all of them and i think either Changes or Small favor is my favorite. Ghost story and cold days were a bit weak the whole thing with the kids and the lovely wizard was entirely uninteresting and felt like filler, and Nicodermus gets away again loving cmon.

Nicodemus is always going to get away. Unless he gets taken down in the Big Apocalyptic Trilogy(tm), the whole thing with the fallen angels and their coins is that their fight is eternal and they will always come back.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

jivjov posted:

Nicodemus is always going to get away. Unless he gets taken down in the Big Apocalyptic Trilogy(tm), the whole thing with the fallen angels and their coins is that their fight is eternal and they will always come back.

You might be confusing Nicodemus and Anduriel.

Though he has limited immortality from his necktie Nicodemus is still 100% plain vanilla mortal. Anduriel is the timeless demigod who sits in his copilot's seat

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Yeah but Nic is the human half of that equation, representing that some will always choose the Leftfold path. He's going to be around til the end, if not beyond. I think (are we still spoilering Skin Game) Nic's been set for for his ultimate defeat by the ending of Skin Game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

420 Gank Mid posted:

You might be confusing Nicodemus and Anduriel.

Though he has limited immortality from his necktie Nicodemus is still 100% plain vanilla mortal. Anduriel is the timeless demigod who sits in his copilot's seat

Alright, well Nick himself might be able to die. But the coins are always "in circulation", and that was the point I was trying to get to.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Rygar201 posted:

Yeah but Nic is the human half of that equation, representing that some will always choose the Leftfold path. He's going to be around til the end, if not beyond. I think (are we still spoilering Skin Game) Nic's been set for for his ultimate defeat by the ending of Skin Game.

Not 100% sure what you're referring to, a lot of things go awry for ol' Nic in Skin Game

I've always thought that the most telegraphed Nic's ending ever got to be was in Small Favor

When at the Aquarium in his little heart to heart with Harry, Nicodemus opens up a bit about his endgame. Once you've read Cold Days it's patently obvious he's talking about Nemesis and in trying to clue Harry into the threat he also lets slip that Harry is the only person other than himself he knows not to be tainted for certain, and Harry goes even further to tell Nic about the hellfire that was used at Arctis Tor, so Nic now knows that there is a mole amongst the Denarians for certain. I think it was implied to be Tessa or Namshiel

Edit: Also from Skingames we know that the mortal church is as leaky as a sieve when it comes to locking up those coins, and the Denarians obviously think this is the way it aught to be, but I am thinking that Hades' Vault and Demonreach are exponentially more difficult to wriggle out of then some two-bit Chilean monastary

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 21, 2016

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
I bet that in a couple of books the Nemesis squad will start showing their plot and nico will use the holy grail to foil their plans but will die in the process. The next book Peace talks has to be about Molly, right?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

420 Gank Mid posted:

Not 100% sure what you're referring to, a lot of things go awry for ol' Nic in Skin Game

That's explicitly what I'm saying. His serious defeat in Skin Game sets the stage for his eventual total defeat.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Depths posted:

I bet that in a couple of books the Nemesis squad will start showing their plot and nico will use the holy grail to foil their plans but will die in the process. The next book Peace talks has to be about Molly, right?

I was thinking peace talks was going to be dealing with the fomori.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Clinton1011 posted:

I was thinking peace talks was going to be dealing with the fomori.

Yeah. From what I remember about Jim's public statements on the matter, it's about forging a tenuous alliance between powers to oppose the Fomor. It's apparently going to include the White Council and the highest body count1 in the series.

1 Or highest violence? I don't remember which.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
High levels of violence can result in peace if you take the approach he took in changes.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Would be hard to top the body count in changes :v:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Depths posted:

Would be hard to top the body count in changes :v:

There weren't very many bodies though!

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
I'm just hoping that Peace Talks does a better job as being whatever it is than Skin Game did as a "heist" book.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Blasphemeral posted:

Yeah. From what I remember about Jim's public statements on the matter, it's about forging a tenuous alliance between powers to oppose the Fomor. It's apparently going to include the White Council and the highest body count1 in the series.

1 Or highest violence? I don't remember which.

If the white court gets hit with much more violence than it has already, after dead beat and changes, there won't be enough wizards left to still have a white court. After a certain point it's just Harry walking over piles of ash.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If the white court gets hit with much more violence than it has already, after dead beat and changes, there won't be enough wizards left to still have a white court. After a certain point it's just Harry walking over piles of ash.

White Council, right? White Court are the sex vampires.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

White Council, right?...

That's what I said and meant, yeah.

thrawn527 posted:

... White Court are the sex vampires.

It's always annoyed me how he used such similar nomenclature for two distinct entities.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Blasphemeral posted:

That's what I said and meant, yeah.

It's always annoyed me how he used such similar nomenclature for two distinct entities.
What exactly happened to the White Council in Changes?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Mars4523 posted:

What exactly happened to the White Council in Changes?

I think that one of the Red Court infected the White Council HQ with a disease that put a lot of them out of commission; it's why Harry had so much trouble getting help from the Council.

Scorchy posted:

I'm a big Raymond Chandler fan so I really enjoy the Felix Castor books. The prose is certainly a step above Dresden, and it sticks to wallowing in the noire detective muck instead of transitioning into straight fantasy. In that tradition, everyone's a hard-nosed rear end in a top hat, including the protagonist.

It's a series about an exorcist getting rid of ghosts and demons, but themetically, the most evil fuckers are always just normal humans with understandable human motivations. Father Gwillam and JJ especially.

Felix Castor books were pretty excellent. I'm pretty sure Juliet is the reason why I dislike Schaefer's Caitlin so much. Much better succubus.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Khizan posted:

I think that one of the Red Court infected the White Council HQ with a disease that put a lot of them out of commission; it's why Harry had so much trouble getting help from the Council.

Felix Castor books were pretty excellent. I'm pretty sure Juliet is the reason why I dislike Schaefer's Caitlin so much. Much better succubus.
Right, I'd forgotten about that. I don't remember Rashid the Gatekeeper really bringing it up again in Ghost Story (I think), so I'd assume that they resolved that problem with no major casualties. Still, I haven't read any of the Dresden books since Skin Game came out.

Caitlin's pretty good, and not just because of the dire state of many female leads in Dresden-type UF.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Ornamented Death posted:

There weren't very many bodies though!

Yeah there were. It was the heart-popper spell from Storm Front, just on a grander scale. I'm sure there were plenty of bodies around.

Mars4523 posted:

Right, I'd forgotten about that. I don't remember Rashid the Gatekeeper really bringing it up again in Ghost Story (I think), so I'd assume that they resolved that problem with no major casualties. Still, I haven't read any of the Dresden books since Skin Game came out.

Cold Days, but yeah, if the Council had really suffered a deadly plague, Ebeneezer would have mentioned it when talking to Harry, I'm sure. I think it was just some sort of sickness to keep everyone weak. If Ariana had attacked them with something actually lethal, it would have been violation of the Accords. Especially since she was there under a flag of truce.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Vicissitude posted:

Yeah there were. It was the heart-popper spell from Storm Front, just on a grander scale. I'm sure there were plenty of bodies around.

I think he was referring to the fact that all the ancient vamps decayed at increased rates and left things that didn't look like corpses.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
There was also a very high white council (thanks for the correction) body count in Dead Beat. It's a running theme that the Council is basically running on fumes at this point.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There was also a very high white council (thanks for the correction) body count in Dead Beat. It's a running theme that the Council is basically running on fumes at this point.

That's where a bunch of Wardens got pinned down in a South American hospital and nerve gassed? Because they spent a few books after that happened replenishing the ranks and I always got the impression (although I don't think it was stated outright) that they'd expanded above their prewar strength.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Mars4523 posted:

That's where a bunch of Wardens got pinned down in a South American hospital and nerve gassed? Because they spent a few books after that happened replenishing the ranks and I always got the impression (although I don't think it was stated outright) that they'd expanded above their prewar strength.

They're more mobilized, but I think they're still hurting. Wizards take a long time to train, and I think replenishing their ranks was mostly a function of accepting reprobates like Dresden as wardens.

Also, didn't the jerk who was in cahoots with vampires make it into the ruling council? Plus we know at least one of the council members has succumbed to Nemesis. The white council is in very bad shape.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
They might be back at full strength if you just look at the numbers, but the Wardens took big casualties and difference between even a fairly experienced wizard and a veteran combat wizard is huge. Morgan alone was probably worth a dozen or more wizards by himself. Losing combat trained wizards also makes it much harder to train up new ones (see: they asked Harry loving Dresden to help educate recruits)

You also have to factor in losing the ability to craft enchanted swords until Luccio figures out how to make them in her new body. Those things are huge advantages against other magic users.

I'm sure the council has a bunch of tricks up their sleeve (they're wizards, of course they do) but they're in rough shape and I doubt they could survive another large scale direct conflict

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Wittgen posted:

Also, didn't the jerk who was in cahoots with vampires make it into the ruling council? Plus we know at least one of the council members has succumbed to Nemesis. The white council is in very bad shape.

Actually, we don't know either of these things. Christos has mostly been depicted as just an ambitious politician. Ebenezer drives it home in changes even.

Do you remember where it was intimated that any of the Senior Council was exposed to Nemesis? I don't remember anything indicating that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There is no way the White Council survives the series. It just depends on if they collapse entire soon or later.

I feel like sooner if just because Butcher doesn't seem as interested in them and doesn't seem to really enjoy writing anyone who isn't Grey Council or the Merlin plus it's another poo poo Gets Real for Harry.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Rygar201 posted:

Actually, we don't know either of these things. Christos has mostly been depicted as just an ambitious politician. Ebenezer drives it home in changes even.

Do you remember where it was intimated that any of the Senior Council was exposed to Nemesis? I don't remember anything indicating that.

Whether he was actively traitorous or just a self-serving politician, it doesn't really matter. All we've seen of him shows that the council is in a much weaker position if he's in power. The guy was playing up internal tensions in the council to further his agenda, which is bad. He wanted to sacrifice another wizard to vampires, which is also bad. Worst of all, it was a terrible idea. The red court would have recouped strength way quicker than the white council, and there would have been another war in 20 or 30 years that would have gone way worse for the now Dresden-less, Ebenezar-less white council.

As for nemesis, it's been a while since I read the books. Maybe it was the black council that was said to have at least one member in the leadership. I thought black council was nemesis, but again, I'm not remembering where that was specifically said. I could be mistaken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Well it matters in the sense that saying certain things are the case when they aren't definitively so muddled the conversation.