Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Hawkeye is amazing. Other physical classes are good with the right combinations of abilities and equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Levantine posted:

Backing up to class stuff - is magic the real trump card in this game? I haven't been real impressed with physical stuff at all but I might just be missing the good combos.

It is. Physical never really catches up.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I would say Ventriloquism is the only thing that pushes magic ahead (and heavily encouraging stacking magic-users, as opposed to having any kind of balance). Other than that, both sides seem stuck with the standard "4 hits for 2 BP" thing. Unless we're talking Bravely Second, but in that case both sides can one-shot anything anyway.

Actually, Catmancers have a move that does 4 hits for 1 BP, but I haven't tested how practical it would be to buff that up.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Clarste posted:

I would say Ventriloquism is the only thing that pushes magic ahead (and heavily encouraging stacking magic-users, as opposed to having any kind of balance). Other than that, both sides seem stuck with the standard "4 hits for 2 BP" thing. Unless we're talking Bravely Second, but in that case both sides can one-shot anything anyway.

Actually, Catmancers have a move that does 4 hits for 1 BP, but I haven't tested how practical it would be to buff that up.

Magic has something that hits consistently for 9999 damage 16 times for 4 BP.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Magic has something that hits consistently for 9999 damage 16 times for 4 BP.

Oh, I must have missed something. Many things? I haven't looked all that much into it. What's the 16 hit thing?

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Levantine posted:

Man, welcome to the club. Is there a game-related goal associated with it or is it just for triggering my OCD?

There's a title for earning 100 million CP in total (and a few other ones that you will inevitably get along the way to that). You can also turn CP into money in the late game, and you can try to unlock all the music as well (a lot of them are unlocked by hitting exact scores or score ranges, so a guide is highly recommended).

Edit:

Clarste posted:

Oh, I must have missed something. Many things? I haven't looked all that much into it. What's the 16 hit thing?

Spellcraft Rain lets you hit 4 times at 60% power (which is still enough to easily hit 9999 with the right setup). Together with Ventriloquism/Echo/Chainspell you can go well beyond 16 hits a round.

fezball fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 21, 2016

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I accidentally (spoiler for Ch3 job choice chose to side with the Dark Knight instead of the Time Mage and it autosaved right after the battle, so now I'm stuck with this lovely rear end Dark Knight job instead of what I wanted). I wish it didn't only use one save file.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Eddain posted:

I accidentally (spoiler for Ch3 job choice chose to side with the Dark Knight instead of the Time Mage and it autosaved right after the battle, so now I'm stuck with this lovely rear end Dark Knight job instead of what I wanted). I wish it didn't only use one save file.

I think that's the last choice, so you should be able to get the other one soon.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

fezball posted:

Spellcraft Rain lets you hit 4 times at 60% power (which is still enough to easily hit 9999 with the right setup). Together with Ventriloquism/Echo/Chainspell you can go well beyond 16 hits a round.

Then... I didn't miss anything? I specifically said that Ventriloquism was what pushed Magic ahead.

When I mentioned the Catmancer 4 hits for 1 BP thing, I meant it more in the sense of maybe almost keeping up with Ventriloquism, not being better than it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Aspir Hammer is a beautiful, beautiful thing.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Clarste posted:

Then... I didn't miss anything? I specifically said that Ventriloquism was what pushed Magic ahead.

When I mentioned the Catmancer 4 hits for 1 BP thing, I meant it more in the sense of maybe almost keeping up with Ventriloquism, not being better than it.

Ventriloquism is one option - both Echo and Chainspell allow you to get there without it (and can be combined in various ways of course).

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Clarste posted:

Spoilers for chapter 6

Note: You can go higher than 16 hits for 9999 and I'll explain that after. Wizard, Sub Time Mage. Skills are Dual cast from Red Mage 11 and anything else on the remaining two. You Meteor Rain twice and it dual casts each cast so you get 16 hits for 9999.

For even more alpha you can have your job as Yokai, sub Time mage on everyone, assuming they have above 800 mana, with one character running Spellcraft/Ventriloquism and the remainder of the party running Dual Cast and anything else.

Ventriloquism party member attacks and spellcrafts rain, doing meteor rain, meteor meteor and hits for 120k. Every other party member casts meteor four times. They all gain rain and dual cast so each party member hits for 80k damage on 1 BP, meaning they hit for 320k damage each. So you alpha for 1,080k damage. This doesn't factor echo which is a 25% chance to cast again that can proc off itself. This means that your damage is amped by another 33% on average. So you on average cam expect to hit for around 1,440k damage.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Okay, I think what I missed was the existence of Dual Cast (Chain Spell?). Which obviously doubles everything. 32 hits per character is more than 16.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 21, 2016

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
After doing a couple of side stories, it hit me. Wasn't it at heavily implied, if not outright shown that most of the asterisk holders were killed in the first game in the original world? I know a couple survived like Braev and Praline, but other than that a few definitely died, like Mephilia, and Qada who even showed up as a ghost after Kamiizumi killed him. I guess it can just be chalked up to an aftereffect of defeating Ouroboros maybe?

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk_DbDVyEwU

Mandatory listening. The best song from Bravely Default.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Twelve by Pies posted:

After doing a couple of side stories, it hit me. Wasn't it at heavily implied, if not outright shown that most of the asterisk holders were killed in the first game in the original world? I know a couple survived like Braev and Praline, but other than that a few definitely died, like Mephilia, and Qada who even showed up as a ghost after Kamiizumi killed him. I guess it can just be chalked up to an aftereffect of defeating Ouroboros maybe?

I think it's mentioned during the Black Mage vs. Ranger sidequest that Second takes place in the final world of Default, since one of the people involved mentioned the boss-rush (and no one died on that one).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Hmm, that would do it, but if that's the case does that mean that Edea/Tiz in this game have no idea who Ringabel is, since he was only in the first world?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Don't think too hard about it. Retcon, magic, whatever you want to call it. People who might have died in the last game are alive in this one, that's all there is to it.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk_DbDVyEwU

Mandatory listening. The best song from Bravely Default.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh_wQlhuH-Y

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It seems to take place in the original world BD's prologue and first four chapters, but all of the Eternian Forces seem to recall the other timelines. Ominas mentions the teams they were put on in Chapter 8 and Artemia talks about girl power like in Chapter 7.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

On the other hand, wasn't it heavily implied that each of the worlds the crew left behind got invaded by the forces of darkness as soon as they crossed through the Holy Pillar of that world?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
I'm trying to un-jank my team for the Revenant battle in Chapter 4. I'm having issues with figuring out what to have Edea and Tiz do.

Right now, here's what I have going:

Yew: Wizard/Time Mage.
Skills: Good Measure, Ventriloquism
Alpha striker. Ventriloquism has a tendency to gently caress me up when I forget not to Meteor Meteor Rain when Magnolia heals. Hurts for BP a lot.

Magnolia: Bishop/Summoner.
Skills: Damage Dispersion, Spellcraft, Precognition, (empty slot x 1)
She alternates between healing and doing nukes. Her job seems solid enough, though at times I end up with her hurting for BP and my team hurting for HP.

Edea: Chariot/Fencer.
Skills: P. Attack 20% Up, Stampede, Triple Wield, Dual Wield.
I like the setup and all, but somehow Edea still manages to hit like a wet noodle compared to the others, even with the Fencing rotation. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Tiz: Patissier/Performer.
Skills: Critical Hitter, Items For All, Waste Not, Encore, Limit Breaker.
Tiz is basically working as an item caddy/buffbot. His role seems pretty solid, but I'm wondering if I can't do better with him.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 21, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
so was magnolia french in the japanese version?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

mandatory lesbian posted:

so was magnolia french in the japanese version?

She spoke English. Also she said good gravy a lot there.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

For most of the game, though I've been on Normal instead of Hard, I've had the characters as the following.

Yew: Bishop/Black Mage

Edea: Fencer/Hawkeye

Magnolia: Ninja/Hawkeye

Tiz: Thief/Freelancer

I'd need a moment to look at what abilities I used, though, since I'm grinding Job Classes in Chapter 5 at the moment and switched everyone around.

I do know that an easy way to break the fight is to use Undo HP on him after he goes back into his armor.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

She spoke English. Also she said good gravy a lot there.

oh, you know i guess that makes more sense

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
This game has a serious fixation with gravy.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper posted:

Gravyly Second

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

oh, you know i guess that makes more sense

Is the localized Magnolia really overy fond of mentioning cows, or is it just an idiom I am not familiar with? (My French is ultra-rusty, after all...)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Gravy Second: For the Ladle.

Someone on the writing team must be a hardcore fan of Ed, Edd, n' Eddy.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

OddObserver posted:

Is the localized Magnolia really overy fond of mentioning cows, or is it just an idiom I am not familiar with? (My French is ultra-rusty, after all...)

quote:

French
Etymology

Literally "the cow!"
Interjection

la vache

Used other than as an idiom: see la,‎ vache.
Exclamation of surprise or astonishment: crap!, dammit!, shucks! holy cow!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

speaking of magnolia I speak French so it was kind of funny to be able to understand the conversations she had with her moon boss

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

:same:

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
Should I play the first game before playing the sequel?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

The Bunny posted:

yes.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Bunny posted:

If you skipped the first one because you heard about the handful of unpopular annoying qualities of the endgame parts and decided that you would rather die, skip the first one. If you don't have a shitload of hours to spend on two RPGs instead of one, also skip the first one. It is good, however.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Alright, my present build is:

Yew: Summoner Lv. 10/Bishop Lv. 10
Abilities: MP 20% Up, Spellcraft, Good Measure

Edea: Fencer Lv. 10/Hawkeye Lv. 8
Abilities: P. Attack 20% Up, Barrage, Pierce Default, Power Up

Magnolia: Performer Lv. 9/Freelancer Lv. 10
Abilities: Revival, Stand Ground, Revenge

Tiz: Thief Lv. 10/Fencer Lv. 7
Abilities: P. Attack 20% Up, BP Recovery, Big Bad Burglar, Barrage, Slow Parry

I've more or less been using a build akin to this the whole game and it's served me well.

The Bunny posted:

The gameplay is significantly improved in the sequel and the second game begins with a recap of all the major plot beats.

But I'd still say Default is worth trying.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Is it worth running all the buffs all the time when Chomping? Or just using them when you hit snacktime?

Edit: VVVV This seems to be working out great. Thanks for the advice.

Geocities Homepage King fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 21, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Seravadon posted:

Is it worth running all the buffs all the time when Chomping? Or just using them when you hit snacktime?

I wouldn't run the money one but run the others. You're never going to turn a great profit off non-snacktime but quantity, and rarity make Snacktime fill up faster and shaving 5 seconds off the time adds up.

If you don't run at least the quantity and rarity ones then max-level Snacktime takes forever to fill up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Seravadon posted:

Edit: VVVV This seems to be working out great. Thanks for the advice.

once everything's maxxed out everything lasts like a minute and a half anyways, as long as you don't try and buy upgrades when you only have exactly enough to cover it you'll be done with the entire thing in an hour or two regardless of how you play it at the lower levels

• Locked thread