Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Here's a question about clubs:
Do the club rosters restock themselves as NPCs age and die, or do the invite-only clubs become unusable after a generation or two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

deadly_pudding posted:

Here's a question about clubs:
Do the club rosters restock themselves as NPCs age and die, or do the invite-only clubs become unusable after a generation or two?

I know that if you lead a invite-only club that you can invite more people into it. Or a Sim can be invited into it, but I'm not sure if the "progression" will put more Sims into the club. I have seen an NPC club get more sims into it, but I'm not sure if that was due to a mod I use or if it's in the base game. It wasn't an invite-only club anyways.

Edit: It was a mod. MC Command Center has that option to have a Sim join a club. You need to enable the feature yourself.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 6, 2016

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I love the working mirrors in The Sims 4, not many games have that because it's so performance-intensive. I hope we get a Supernatural expansion where mirrors don't reflect vampires.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

IAmTheRad posted:

Or if you just have Get Together you can make Fight Club. Give a club uniform of no shirt, no shoes. Make a "Suggested" activity of fighting. You can make it so they only fight each other, but it's way more fun to have them run around and beat up complete strangers.

Also give them the Club Angry moodlet so they can have heart attacks.
Similarly make a jokes club with the playful moodlet with jokey activities and have them die laughing.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Chamale posted:

I love the working mirrors in The Sims 4, not many games have that because it's so performance-intensive. I hope we get a Supernatural expansion where mirrors don't reflect vampires.

They did it by cheating really hard. As soon as you move away the mirror shader turns off.

(Also for obvious reasons mirrors don't reflect each other.)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

SystemLogoff posted:

They did it by cheating really hard. As soon as you move away the mirror shader turns off.

I'm not sure what you mean. Of course the mirror would stop rendering when you don't look at it.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Chamale posted:

I'm not sure what you mean. Of course the mirror would stop rendering when you don't look at it.

Even if you're looking at it and zoom out, it stops as well. It cross-fades to a light blue color. It's a very elegant design.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Wait didn't mirrors work in Sims 2 and 3 as well? I used those giant wall mirrors all the time and I don't remember them looking funky. What's changed?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Koramei posted:

Wait didn't mirrors work in Sims 2 and 3 as well? I used those giant wall mirrors all the time and I don't remember them looking funky. What's changed?

I think they did work, yeah. It's still impressive that they bothered to make them work when they could have gotten away with an empty silver plane. A lot of games cheap out on mirrors by making them dirty or broken, too.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Yeah they did so from Sims 2. It wouldn't reflect a reflection but neither does the current game I think, anyway it was pretty impressive for 2004. Doom 3 did so as well, but if you looked in the bathroom mirror, something happened.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think TS4 is the first game in the series to use true original geometry in the reflections, but I'm not gonna go digging in the old games to verify that.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

steinrokkan posted:

I think TS4 is the first game in the series to use true original geometry in the reflections, but I'm not gonna go digging in the old games to verify that.

I think TS2 used real geometry, it just rendered at a much lower resolution for performance and blurred it to disguise that fact.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
I liked the way Duke Nukem 3D did it, they just made little parallel universe rooms that you could noclip into

wit
Jul 26, 2011

greententacle posted:

I liked the way Duke Nukem 3D did it, they just made little parallel universe rooms that you could noclip into

I remember this also being the go to technique for making reflective floors in the hold HL1 mapping community.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
IIRC that's the 'classic' way to fake reflections, but naturally lost effectiveness as more non-static actors were introduced into the scene, the extreme case being, of course, Portal.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKx4PU01Kmo

Unlisted video for some reason, but you are getting a restraunt pack and a kid based stuff pack. Not pictured: Toddlers. :laffo:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Yessss sit-down restaurants!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

The Deadly Hume posted:

My question would be if this stuff will be able to plug into Get To Work. It doesn't bother me so much that you can't operate a spa, I bought the spa pack mostly to put home spa stuff in my turbomansions. It would be nice to see more effort to integrate content into multiple expansions than there was in Sims 3, though.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Restaurant is a gameplay pack, Kids items is a stuff pack.

I do wonder why there was absolutely no news for about a month.

And no news about the next Expansion Pack. Pets?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

The Deadly Hume posted:

Restaurants have been incredibly impractical in every single sims title but I want them. It feels so wrong to stuff your sim with bar chips.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

They have said that Restaraunts in "previews" before the official announcement will be like nothing they've done before.

Perhaps it means you choose the menu and make everyone eat your delicious spaghetti.

Papyrus would be proud.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I guess it would make sense for restaurants to work as an alternative to shops, just rename the various job tasks associated with retail, add customer interactions with some tagged objects, and you should be good to go. I've noticed that the ability to actually have customers eat stuff made in player-run bakeries has been requested a lot in various forums.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

If they want to add Toddlers to the game I would think they should also add some sort of Story Progression. Having an entire expansion devoted to Toddlers would be terrible. Face it, toddlers would probably not be a free update. Not with all the money they would make from some players.
It would just make sense to have some kind of story progression with toddlers. Able to see Sims grow up and have kids again, instead of being aging husks that randomly disappear.

Seriously, the one thing that Sims 3 has better than Sims 4 is only Story Progression. The mod that adds a pseudo story progression isn't good enough, but it's all we have.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

mycot posted:

Restaurants have been incredibly impractical in every single sims title but I want them. It feels so wrong to stuff your sim with bar chips.
The only time they really seemed to work the way I thought they should was going way back to Hot Date, which like the second XP for the first Sims. But then there was still that first game's basic gameplay.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

The Deadly Hume posted:

The only time they really seemed to work the way I thought they should was going way back to Hot Date, which like the second XP for the first Sims. But then there was still that first game's basic gameplay.

I liked that method best too, but I wonder if it's just becuase it was so novel at the time so just being able to have your sim LEAVE THEIR HOUSE LOT and not just in a vanishing to work way was revolutionary. (And it was the third XP, first was Livin Large, then House Party, then Hot Date was next)

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

My question would be if this stuff will be able to plug into Get To Work. It doesn't bother me so much that you can't operate a spa, I bought the spa pack mostly to put home spa stuff in my turbomansions. It would be nice to see more effort to integrate content into multiple expansions than there was in Sims 3, though.

They were asking for GTW saves so it looks like they wanted to make a cross expansion compatible pack. So long as it doesn't fall under the same pain as TS3's restaurant item, I am all for it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Deadly Hume posted:

I don't even remember that far back.

deadly_pudding posted:

On its face I feel like this should be stupid easy given the presentation of everything from clubs to work to parties as an "Activity" object, and it seems like a massive waste of a modular framework to not walk back and do this. But I also know not poo poo about game design so :v:

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

What counts as a garden? I have 50 dragonfruit plants which is a pain to take care but I can't hire a gardener.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Warmachine posted:

On its face I feel like this should be stupid easy given the presentation of everything from clubs to work to parties as an "Activity" object, and it seems like a massive waste of a modular framework to not walk back and do this. But I also know not poo poo about game design so :v:

It's less a code issue and more of a process issue. Adding expansion-pack specific functionality means your codebase is now split in two versions, the cognitive cost is raised and the QA now has to test even more possible combinations and corner cases. Plus if the combined interaction is significant (like combining GtW and Spa Pack), the development cost might end up being almost as much as making the pack in first place. So budgets get overrun, gotta decide whether the benefit's worth the cost, blah blah. It's cool, but is it "Justify raising the price" cool? And if it's not, is the result still cheap enough to make the expected profit?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Kyte posted:

It's less a code issue and more of a process issue. Adding expansion-pack specific functionality means your codebase is now split in two versions, the cognitive cost is raised and the QA now has to test even more possible combinations and corner cases. Plus if the combined interaction is significant (like combining GtW and Spa Pack), the development cost might end up being almost as much as making the pack in first place. So budgets get overrun, gotta decide whether the benefit's worth the cost, blah blah. It's cool, but is it "Justify raising the price" cool? And if it's not, is the result still cheap enough to make the expected profit?
Your mouthwords seem to make sense for Sims 3, but I thought Sims 4 was ridiculously robust and flexible for that kind of craic.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
I think they didn't really hammer down the pack interactivity until Get Together. Until then, the GP and EP were pretty much stand-alone. Post-GT, every pack has been integrated into the clubs system, so I imagine now that they got that process down, they can plan future systems easier?

I'm just guessing here, mostly.

Also, I feel that they kind of leave some things open for modders to step in and flesh out more. Like with the GTW careers and retail shops. I just found a really rad grocery store mod that expands on the retail aspect.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
No updates this week but congratz i suppose?

http://www.museumofplay.org/press/releases/2016/05/2688-2016-world-video-game-hall-fame-inductees-announced

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
For those who have missed the previous sales, Sims 4 base game is 33% off on Origin, and the expansion packs are 25% off. Not quite the 50% from the previous sales but that's what I get for not paying attention. Finally upgrading to the 4th one.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Apparently the next Gameplay Pack is called 'Dine Out' and will be released on May 26th, according to a posting on a retail website.

Own a restaurant and take your Sims out to eat. Create and manage a variety of restaurants, hire staff, and set the perfect menu to earn a profit and expand your business. Dine out with Sims to enjoy all-new experimental cuisine and spend quality time with friends and family.

Gameplay pack, not expansion.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Is it me or are they being really quiet this go around? Seems like buzz and hype are something they haven't been interested in at all.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Is it me or are they being really quiet this go around? Seems like buzz and hype are something they haven't been interested in at all.

You are correct. March was best described as Drake posting no.gifs every week.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I got a couple of packs at Target for half off, so I'm trying to get back into the game. Is there a good central hub for mods and stuff, or should I just grab things out of the gallery?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Swagger Dagger posted:

I got a couple of packs at Target for half off, so I'm trying to get back into the game. Is there a good central hub for mods and stuff, or should I just grab things out of the gallery?

http://modthesims.info/ is the best place to grab mods and stuff.

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib

Swagger Dagger posted:

My Sims 4 Blog gathers all user creations from various tumblrs into one place. A head's up though, most of the content are recolors, frankenmeshes of EA stuff, and bad photoshops but you can find decent stuff on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Also you wanna know how they are handling the No News situation? By terminating their contract with Simsfans.de so now there is even more NO NEWS!

http://simsvip.com/2016/05/15/12-years-germanys-largest-fansite-gets-axed-ea/