Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

plainswalker75 posted:

So, what did he actually do? Swear at a referee? That's a pretty stupid punishment, even for our dumb league.

Best guess is that since the fourth official told him OH GOD DON'T LEAVE THE AREA Olsen told him to pound sand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
To be fair it is Olsen so maybe the league is doing you a favour.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
ben olsen acts like a whining cry baby at every opportunity so i'm glad, op, that he is getting told to gently caress off for something minor.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Dallan Invictus posted:

To be fair it is Olsen so maybe the league is doing you a favour.

Considering Chad Ashton is a glorified youth league coach on his best day, it's basically a wash in terms of results and an absolute hilarious indictment of league priorities in practice

Maybe he can stand in the boycott section on Saturday

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

Your Boy Fancy posted:

the boycott section

We've truly made it, everyone.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

why is major league soccer soccer dot com badly designed and green now?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Nostradingus posted:

It's always been badly designed but maybe green for Earth day?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Gigi Galli posted:

You are correct. I totally forgot there was an Earth Day. I remember it being big back in the 90s, but then it just went away.

In Dan Gargan news, he has resurfaced after being cut by LA in the broadcast booth. He's doing color for the Galaxy II game tonight and studio work for LA's game on Saturday.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Gigi Galli posted:

When you win the cup you get to pick the colors.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

You are correct. I totally forgot there was an Earth Day. I remember it being big back in the 90s, but then it just went away.

In Dan Gargan news, he has resurfaced after being cut by LA in the broadcast booth. He's doing color for the Galaxy II game tonight and studio work for LA's game on Saturday.

Well sure, one does not simply release the Gargan! :v:

Seriously, I hope that works out for him, dude was never that good but worked his rear end off for every opportunity he could get.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Gargan's goal for Chicago vs. TFC weeks after they traded him away was :krad:

Not a great defender though.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
It's a great day for America, everybody!

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
The Seattle Sounders are:

:nexus:

at soccer!

:sweatdrop:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I don't care if it's the Rapids or any other team that beats Seattle. Always feels good to see them lose :cool:

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

i don't care about the 2016 mls season at all

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Nostradingus posted:

compared to any other American sport, the MLS website is probably the best or second best?? except the scoreline should be right under the navigation bar and not snuck in under like 18 random front page articles.

discussing the website is a lot more fun and engaging than talking about the 2016 MLS Season™ so far tbh

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

league doesn't even really start til our home opener imo

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
There's a lot of really bad teams - Jersey's early implosion being my favorite story - but can we talk about Colorado? Something is working up there. They were a solid team to start, and then they got Jermaine Jones. MacMath being replaced by Howard soon might make them the actual deadliest force in the West.

Pablo may have been right. Line up in pure defense and wait for openings. They're second in the league. That's nuts for a team that was pure dogshit last year.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Your Boy Fancy posted:

There's a lot of really bad teams - Jersey's early implosion being my favorite story - but can we talk about Colorado? Something is working up there. They were a solid team to start, and then they got Jermaine Jones. MacMath being replaced by Howard soon might make them the actual deadliest force in the West.

Pablo may have been right. Line up in pure defense and wait for openings. They're second in the league. That's nuts for a team that was pure dogshit last year.

I think they're Dallas-ing. They're getting 1-0 and 2-1 wins off of relatively bullshit goals that teams later in the year would never allow. I think they're going to regress heavily towards the middle/end of the season, but make the playoffs. Like Dallas does every year.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Your Boy Fancy posted:

There's a lot of really bad teams - Jersey's early implosion being my favorite story
They certainly looked better against Orlando last night. That game should have ended with a score of about 6-2.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I think they're Dallas-ing. They're getting 1-0 and 2-1 wins off of relatively bullshit goals that teams later in the year would never allow. I think they're going to regress heavily towards the middle/end of the season, but make the playoffs. Like Dallas does every year.

No matter how you feel about the Rapids, that's a loving hell of an improvement after two years of...whatever the gently caress that was.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Star Man posted:

No matter how you feel about the Rapids, that's a loving hell of an improvement after two years of...whatever the gently caress that was.

Oh believe me, I'm just as shocked/impressed as the rest of the league. I thought Pablo had maybe 3 games before getting fired after that offseason.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Azerban posted:

league doesn't even really start til our home opener imo

Big Jozy's five tools need to be appreciated in person

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Oh believe me, I'm just as shocked/impressed as the rest of the league. I thought Pablo had maybe 3 games before getting fired after that offseason.

A few people figured Pablo had to get a minimum of 12 points by next Saturday's match with RSL to be safe. A few more, me included, wanted firings after that offseason (bedoya not the primary transfer target yeah right).

I don't think anyone expected this though. After the last two seasons of pure crap I'm not sure if any of us know quite how to react either.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
My head is just craned upwards looking for the other shoe all the time.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
DC United is doing a Star Wars night vs NYRB and I hate them all with my heart

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

So....the Cleveland Cavaliers and Detroit Pistons owners are apparently going in together to try to bring a team to Detroit?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

So instead of bringing MLS to a vibrant growing city like Austin, they choose to try and bring it to a dilapidated piece of poo poo like Detroit, good plan

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I suppose that the born-raised-and-living-in-Detroit billionaire and the currently-owns-another-Detroit-sports-team billionaire might possibly have some attachment to Detroit, but they have the money to run a team and build a stadium, and Detroit has a ton of people who currently don't have a pro soccer team, so the suits in league HQ probably had their eyes light up just like when the Rams move was finalised.

On the bright side they can probably buy the land for a downtown stadium out of pocket change, as opposed to...how's Austin's search to replace the Aztex' flooded-out park going, anyway?

edit: vvvv oh yeah I forgot about the Windsor/SW Ontario commuting types, this gets better and better.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 27, 2016

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

i'll go away to detroit, but i won't go to texas

sounds good

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

A team in Detroit would be cool and way better than another team in Texas or some poo poo.

Rust Belt 4 Life

Hello Towel fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 27, 2016

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Dallan Invictus posted:

On the bright side they can probably buy the land for a downtown stadium out of pocket change, as opposed to...how's Austin's search to replace the Aztex' flooded-out park going, anyway?

The Aztex GM (the only guy getting paid by the owners right now) said about two months ago that our most likely short-term solution is at Nixon Lane, near the prison. A 10,000 seat stadium is being constructed there, and would probably serve us for 4-5 years until something bigger and more centrally located is built. It's not a football stadium! It's a rugby stadium.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
does anyone know the td50 that correlates to lead levels in drinking water to rates of autism? i'm starting to get on board with expansion into detroit if that means more weird and embarrassing fans that spend their hard earned dollars on bedsheets for them to paint some sick rear end tifos

it might also mean that i get to read more home spun articles posted on https://www.klinsmann/raus/mlssoccer.net regarding a mash up of dc united's starting xi and star wars for may 4th.

i'll hang up and listen for your opinions.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I hope I get a team to cheer for, that would be good. For whatever reason the "pick a team that has cool players/good colors" strategy never manages to hold my interest longer than 2 weeks.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

FC Detroit / Detroit FC
Sporting Detroit
Detroit United
Detroit City

...its only going to be one of those 4 names right?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

MoPZiG posted:

FC Detroit / Detroit FC
Sporting Detroit
Detroit United
Detroit City

...its only going to be one of those 4 names right?

Detroit Rock City. IMO.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

trem_two posted:

Detroit Rock City. IMO.

this is what it would actually be called if they were founded in 1995

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Detroit Suck lovely

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i used to like the idea of generic names because it gave the fans the opportunity to organically choose their own nickname, but so far that's led to really great things like "TFC" and "shirt color" and "NYCFC" so gently caress it, i hope they pick an animal with claws. detroit mountain lions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Good plan, let people know you're serious about establishing a winning tradition by naming your Detroit-based team "Lions".

• Locked thread