Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
dailymail.png

e: 1998: the Human Rights Act is passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
quite enjoying this story tbh

quote:

London mayor row: Cleric feels 'betrayed' by Conservatives

A London cleric who David Cameron described as a supporter of so-called Islamic State has told the BBC he attended Conservative events and feels betrayed by the party.

Mr Cameron criticised Labour's London mayoral candidate Sadiq Khan on Wednesday for appearing with cleric Suliman Gani.

On the BBC's The World Tonight, Mr Gani said he felt "disheartened and betrayed" at being described this way.

Number 10 declined any further comment.

But at a Westminster press briefing on Wednesday, the prime minister's official spokeswoman said : "The point the prime minister was referring to was that, at events, this individual has spoken up in support of a range of things including the formation of Islamic State."

Conservative mayoral candidate Zac Goldsmith previously described Mr Gani as "one of the most repulsive men in Britain".

Mr Gani, a community leader and imam from Tooting in south London, said on hearing this characterisation: "I was shocked - I couldn't believe it.

"I felt very disheartened and betrayed.

"I felt that this is hypocrisy, because I attended a Conservative Muslim Forum event invited by the Conservative candidate for Tooting... to encourage more Muslims to become Conservative councillors."

Of Mr Goldsmith, Mr Gani said "I met him in person, I shook his hand" and that he thought he was "a candidate to really seriously consider as mayor of London".

He also said he supported the Conservatives at the last election.

Mr Goldsmith insisted the cleric had a long record of "saying very extreme things".

Mr Gani vehemently denies he supports the terrorist group.

Throughout the mayoral campaign Mr Goldsmith has accused the Mr Khan, who is also the MP for Tooting, of "giving platforms and oxygen and even cover to people who are extremist".

Mr Khan maintains he has fought strongly against radical Islamists and has himself been a victim of their threats.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

TinTower posted:

dailymail.png

e: 1998: the Human Rights Act is passed.

What story was this a comment on?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Metrication posted:

holy poo poo how incompetent is this campaign

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Given that Goldsmith is so far behind he should probably try and preserve a shred of dignity and drop these attacks as a strategy.

Hahahaha who am I kidding they're Tories.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Great Britain, a country where any criticisms of a colonialist nation are inherently anti-Semitic but where a hefty part of our population can be brushed off as extremists and threats due to their ethnicities and beliefs.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

ultrabindu posted:

https://twitter.com/legsidelizzy/status/723102970997514240

Blowing on that dog whistle so hard even a ex-Times journalist is calling you out.

I like that he details a racist tory election campaign and a homophobic tory election campaign, but an islamophobic tory election campaign would be "profoundly at odds with the British tradition."

Because I'm seeing a pattern here.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

Brighton Council are offering a personal details form for new school intake that has (gasp!) more than two genders on it.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Mega Comrade posted:

I'm gonna hazard a guess and say it's the one about that one school that sent letters to parents asking them to please let the school know if their child identified as transgender.

e: *pats self on back*

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Gani is a dangerous radical for supporting the Conservative party.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ro5s posted:

I like that he details a racist tory election campaign and a homophobic tory election campaign, but an islamophobic tory election campaign would be "profoundly at odds with the British tradition."

I think his point was that the homophobic and racist campaigns were also not of the British tradition.

Of course he's wrong, and the ex-colonies would like a word.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

It was a Primary School wasn't it?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Metrication posted:

Same dude who posted pics of him shaking hands with pols who accused him of being a terrorist right? Lmao

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Malcolm XML posted:

Same dude who posted pics of him shaking hands with pols who accused him of being a terrorist right? Lmao

Gerry Adams?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

ro5s posted:

To be fair, he does draw a contrast there between Alec Douglas-Home and Cameron joining in the attacks on Khan.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Spangly A posted:

the fact that we can't have a debate about our relationship with Israel without people jumping to antisemitism as a thought-terminating-rebuke is the bit where normal people should go "hang on, the press really need to be told to gently caress off and burn in hell forever"
JK Rowling really wanted to hit this nail on the head and said something along the lines of "I want Israel to do well for the sake of its people, but I do not support Netanyahu because he is a terrible person for it. You can be against Netanyahu whilst still supporting Israel, the two are not one and the same," which she's right about. And that's the problem, nobody knows anything about Israel other than "Jews" and "Netanyahu" so they all get lumped together as a pretty awful conglomerate.

OwlFancier posted:

What if it's tories?

I mean thinking about it logically it's possible every dead rich tory actually means a net increase in life across the country.
Well the Tories are definitely more dangerous than Suliman Gani that they accuse of being a terrorist, so by definition no john you are the terrorists

and then john became a screaming bigot.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

FinalGamer posted:

JK Rowling really wanted to hit this nail on the head and said something along the lines of "I want Israel to do well for the sake of its people, but I despise Netanyahu as a terrible person for it. You can hate Netanyahu without hating Israel, people really need to learn the two are not one and the same," which she's right about. And that's the problem, nobody knows anything about Israel other than "Jews" and "Netanyahu" so they all get lumped together as a pretty awful conglomerate.

Well it's also a tactic of Israel + it's supporters to label any criticism of the regime and it's actions as being anti-semitic.

Have you ever watched Norman Finkelstein shut people down who claim he is anti-Semitic by pointing out that his parents survived concentration camps, his father being in Aushwitz and his mother another and that both of them were in the Warsaw ghetto uprising and besides them all other members of their families had been exterminated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf77bimq3wc

JFairfax fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 21, 2016

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

ro5s posted:

At the risk of being accused of pedantry twice in one day, the homophobic by-election campaign against Tatchell that Oborne mentions was the Liberals not Conservatives.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Malcolm XML posted:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cerv posted:

At the risk of being accused of pedantry twice in one day, the homophobic by-election campaign against Tatchell that Oborne mentions was the Liberals not Conservatives.

Good to see Tim Farron bringing them back to their roots.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

hahaha okay that's pretty good

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

but the condoms allow you to remain in safely it doesnt make sense loving hell

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Phoon posted:

not indefinitely, it's been a long time since I used them (and obviously not from the business end) but you have to take them off fairly quickly after before all the deflating happens.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Phoon posted:

Also the pull out method is extremely risky. A very silly marketing campaign in my humble opinion.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Labour with the hard-hitting Opposition right there.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Baron Corbyn posted:

Also the pull out method is extremely risky. A very silly marketing campaign in my humble opinion.

Actually as far as I know pulling out is only like 1% less effective than a condom. I read this somewhere reputable.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

That figure is for when done correctly and doesn't take into account, uh, failures.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

hookerbot 5000 posted:

(and obviously not from the business end)

what?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Try saying Shippy McShipface three times fast.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Sorry. I don't have a penis, and so when I used them I wasn't as involved in the process as my partner who was the one generally in charge of removing it at the correct time. So my knowledge of optimal condom removal is not as good as people who are actually physically wearing them.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Oh right

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think the leave joke is that small condoms are risky as they're more likely to split. certainly that's the only time it's happened to me, when using condoms too small for the job.

the issue with condoms generally is that if they fail and you don't notice - and 'oh wow this feels amazing now' is a warning sign when using a condom - failure is likely to result in semen where ya don't want it!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I wonder if Michael Gove gave them a test run

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

hookerbot 5000 posted:

not indefinitely, it's been a long time since I used them (and obviously not from the business end) but you have to take them off fairly quickly after before all the deflating happens.
This is a good economic analogy.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

baka kaba posted:

The idea of anything sexual regarding Gove is terrifying.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

Shame on you.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The idea of anything sexual regarding Gove is terrifying.

Please he is a man of science

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
ironically the Catholic method has served me well over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Guavanaut posted:

This is a good economic analogy.

"Pull out before it deflates!" as a vote leave campaign would at least have some educational benefit I guess

JFairfax posted:

ironically the Catholic method has served me well over the years.

just because you havent got the altar boy pregnant doesn't mean it's a useful method

• Locked thread