Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I am not very far in to the game but am I right that (intro video spoiler/questions I guess) what makes the little legless dude in Firelink a Lord of Cinder? He already rekindled the flame in this cycle like Gwyn did in DS1 except there is no hollowing to gently caress him up? Couldn't a single other lord soul rekindle the flame then? He is just chilling out waiting for the rest of the souls to be consumed along with him but then what makes them lords?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
LOL I farmed 10 vertebra shackles in like 30 min just using white phantom ring and red soap stone in Crucifixion Woods. Not sure why people don't pay attention to the color of the inscription. Once I get my 30 shackles, I can't wait to switch to sunbro and red soap stone with the white phantom ring, as seen on youtube. WELCOME TO DARK SOULS

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Ok so I finally made some headway in this game last night and am starting to enjoy it more.

At the moment though I am, pardon my french, getting my ever-loving poo poo kicked in by any guy with a big weapon. Especially the guys in heavy armor.

I upgraded my curved swords but I still feel like I'm doing really pitiful damage.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

RatHat posted:

The bell wakes unkindled as well as lords of cinder, and you're not the only one with the ember effect. What makes someone a lord of cinder is linking the fire, so you're not one yet but you're pretty close.

The Lords of Cinder show up for the bell, but the intro makes it clear that the Unkindled only show up when the Lords gently caress off instead of linking the fire. Also, the unkindled are unfit even to be cinder.

Decrepus posted:

I am not very far in to the game but am I right that (intro video spoiler/questions I guess) what makes the little legless dude in Firelink a Lord of Cinder? He already rekindled the flame in this cycle like Gwyn did in DS1 except there is no hollowing to gently caress him up? Couldn't a single other lord soul rekindle the flame then? He is just chilling out waiting for the rest of the souls to be consumed along with him but then what makes them lords?

Lords of Cinder are either people who have, or have the capacity to, link the fires/rekindle the first flame. But no, a single soul cannot rekindle the flame anymore.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i feel like there's definite areas of the geography that are part of a contingent whole, and then other areas that got mashed together because lothric is the transitory land of time travel whatever.

lothric high wall down to undead town and road of sacrifice and the upper swamp and cathedral of the deep were all part of a coherent world.

it feels like farron's is mashed into that world from somewhere else - you climb down a ladder from a swamp and now you've in evil swamp 2.0, but that's a really lovely and arbitrary geography transition, whereas the rest of the geography from undead town to road of sacrifices to cathedral is all natural and more or less makes sense.

after farron's, i feel like the catacombs / carthus are also mashed from somewhere else, and it really doesn't make much sense that geography would be swamp > go down a ladder > poison swamp 2.0 > go down some stairs > bown town > go down more stairs > entirely new biosphere where it's winter time.

from that, i think farron's and carthus got mashed between the road of sacrifice and irithyll but that originally there wouldn't have been anything separating irithyll from the undead town and lothric. obviously the undead town and the chapel are all about worshiping aldrich, so they need to have contact with each other, and other things you find in lothric castle seem to imply that irithyll and lothric were at least aware of each other, if not evil allies in cooperation.

i think anor londo got mashed into irithyll, or rather the pontiff and aldrich figured out how to summon anor londo and force it to anchor itself to the back of the pontiff's chapel. this is how aldrich gets to eat gwendolyn, but i also think this is how oceiros was able to learn about seath and i also think the "queen" of lothric that was disappeared after she gave birth to her final son was priscilla the crossbreed and i think oceiros was basically doing forced breeding experiments with her, much like how priscilla was an experiment from seath and gwynevere.

boiling lake under carthus is clearly lost izalith, and the skeletal army is doing what it can to try and keep them from spreading out like a plague. i'm not sure if the ghru are breaking into izalith looking for power or if they're breaking out and flooding back into the swamp; my guess, based on item description lore, is that as the descendants of the AW, the AW originally went down to boiling lake to try and keep fighting the abyss and the taint from the chaos flame is what turned the AW into the ghru. this kind of explains why the ghru are now guarding farron's, but i'm still unclear why there's about 3 dark wraiths in the whole game (not counting the one trapped in lothric wall jail) and they're all in farron's and they're ostensibly trying to break into the AW fight.

past irithyll dungeon, i think the profaned capital is another world that got mashed into lothric. yhorm looks like he's sitting behind what could be his world's lord vessel, and although he isn't in the kiln of the first flame, he could he sitting in whatever his world's version of the flame kiln looked like. his area is the shortest, assuming you're just looking at the part that involves fighting him, so there's not a lot to speculate about. he clearly is still a human / humanoid (see cut-scene with siegward) even though he is huge, but that could be a unique effect of how his lordship has changed him (like aldrich being some kind of poop naga or whatever he's supposed to be).

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So either I figured out this game or I just simply overleveled myself. Last night after dying to Vordt in second stage a bunch, I just ran around the zone collecting souls to level myself about 8-10 times to be level 23 and now I'm owning poo poo. Knights I'm doing much better with now in terms of just skill.

It's probably a mix of me getting the mechanics and not being *under* leveled which I guess I was.

Started Undead Settlement and really had no issue with any of the dudes. Not even the big fatty witch thing. Feels good man.

EDIT: Now the slog to be stupid and give myself too much DEX just to be able to complete my knight set and wear the chestpiece without rolling like a fatty.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 21, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The ladder to Farron makes fine sense though? Presumably there's a sloping hill/cliff/elevated area with the upper forest and then they built the wall on the edge of the precipice leading down to the poison swamp?

What's much more definitely a geographic mash-up is the Catacombs of Carthus; they shouldn't be anywhere NEAR Farron but are somehow right underneath.

EDIT: Ithyll isn't visible from Lothric, but there's a big foggy area located below the area you get to see, so I think it's there. That's definitely a distant land though, there's no real evidence or reason for Lothric and Ithyll to be neighbors, and Ithyll is considered a city of legend; it's almost certainly built from the remains of Anor Londo

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 21, 2016

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

JetsGuy posted:

So either I figured out this game or I just simply overleveled myself. Last night after dying to Vordt in second stage a bunch, I just ran around the zone collecting souls to level myself about 8-10 times to be level 23 and now I'm owning poo poo. Knights I'm doing much better with now in terms of just skill.

It's probably a mix of me getting the mechanics and not being *under* leveled which I guess I was.

Started Undead Settlement and really had no issue with any of the dudes. Not even the big fatty witch thing. Feels good man.

EDIT: Now the slog to be stupid and give myself too much DEX just to be able to complete my knight set and wear the chestpiece without rolling like a fatty.

That's VIT.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

i'm not sure if the ghru are breaking into izalith looking for power or if they're breaking out and flooding back into the swamp; my guess, based on item description lore, is that as the descendants of the AW, the AW originally went down to boiling lake to try and keep fighting the abyss and the taint from the chaos flame is what turned the AW into the ghru. this kind of explains why the ghru are now guarding farron's, but i'm still unclear why there's about 3 dark wraiths in the whole game (not counting the one trapped in lothric wall jail) and they're all in farron's and they're ostensibly trying to break into the AW fight.

The Darkwraiths are either trying to defeat the Abyss Watchers so that more of them can escape (the AW are in an endless war with its denizens), or were simply the first few to get away from them once they began to get turned by the abyss and infight.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 21, 2016

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
So a hacker invaded me and made himself the host, allowing him to pick up loot, open shortcuts, enter fog gates, etc. I take it like past games there's no way to prevent this and attempting to do so will get you banned? He stole an estus flask shard :(

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So the hosed up Satyrs are definitely Chaos demons, yeah? Sort of feels strange that a new breed of demon would be spawning now, given that demons are going extinct. I thought it may be a Covenant like the Dragon one, where humans can turn demonic, but no, it's just A Thing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Also, while parts of the Smoldering Lake are obviously the Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith, the larger zone is Ash Lake after it's boiled away to nothing. Broke my heart seeing it that way.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So the hosed up Satyrs are definitely Chaos demons, yeah? Sort of feels strange that a new breed of demon would be spawning now, given that demons are going extinct. I thought it may be a Covenant like the Dragon one, where humans can turn demonic, but no, it's just A Thing.

The Ghru are the warped descendants of the Abyss Walkers, they were probably more humanoid at one point.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

What's much more definitely a geographic mash-up is the Catacombs of Carthus; they shouldn't be anywhere NEAR Farron but are somehow right underneath

With light pouring in!

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Yeah, was just about to edit. lol thanks.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Oxxidation posted:

Also, while parts of the Smoldering Lake are obviously the Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith, the larger zone is Ash Lake after it's boiled away to nothing. Broke my heart seeing it that way.

The Ghru are the warped descendants of the Abyss Walkers, they were probably more humanoid at one point.

Are we really certain that it is Ash Lake?

Also they are called the Ghru? What items give me their lore?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

homeless poster posted:

i feel like there's definite areas of the geography that are part of a contingent whole, and then other areas that got mashed together because lothric is the transitory land of time travel whatever.

it feels like farron's is mashed into that world from somewhere else - you climb down a ladder from a swamp and now you've in evil swamp 2.0, but that's a really lovely and arbitrary geography transition, whereas the rest of the geography from undead town to road of sacrifices to cathedral is all natural and more or less makes sense.

after farron's, i feel like the catacombs / carthus are also mashed from somewhere else, and it really doesn't make much sense that geography would be swamp > go down a ladder > poison swamp 2.0 > go down some stairs > bown town > go down more stairs > entirely new biosphere where it's winter time.

What? Is this some kinda Dark Souls 2 elevator joke?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The ladder to Farron makes fine sense though? Presumably there's a sloping hill/cliff/elevated area with the upper forest and then they built the wall on the edge of the precipice leading down to the poison swamp?

What's much more definitely a geographic mash-up is the Catacombs of Carthus; they shouldn't be anywhere NEAR Farron but are somehow right underneath.

EDIT: Ithyll isn't visible from Lothric, but there's a big foggy area located below the area you get to see, so I think it's there. That's definitely a distant land though, there's no real evidence or reason for Lothric and Ithyll to be neighbors, and Ithyll is considered a city of legend; it's almost certainly built from the remains of [spoiler]Anor Londo

Yeah... Farron keep makes perfect sense. You can see the burning tower / fireplace things from the bridge to Lothric and... IDK its a swamp down below another swamp, not that unrealistic.

Ithyll however does feel like its some kinda magical transportation or connection. There's an item description that mentions that "you can always go home to Irythll" or something like that, so it definitely feels like there's something magical going on there. And obviously its built on the remains of Anor Londo and controlled by Gwyndolin's Soul / Aldritch so that's all kinds of magical god-powers That said taking a tunnel through the catacombs to end up in some other area still isn't really that unrealistic, nothing like the earthen peak elevator from DS2. More like going from Majula to Heide's only being 100 feet but representing miles of travel, catacombs is probably smaller than it should have to be but the overall idea isn't too far fetched.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Their weapons, mostly called "Rotted Ghru <X>"

Since someone mentioned the Way of White, it seems that they're still around in some form, since the Heal Aid spell mentions it's tossed at people of little faith as a token gesture, but in DS3 it appears that the region is mostly focused on the Way of Blue/Blue Sentinels/Darkmoon (which according to Yorshka is literally just you now) or the Cathedral of the Deep. No one worships the old pantheon anymore, and items mention that people started to question Allfather Lloyd. Also, it's all undead here now, and has been for a while.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

RBA Starblade posted:

Since someone mentioned the Way of White, it seems that they're still around in some form, since the Heal Aid spell mentions it's tossed at people of little faith as a token gesture, but in DS3 it appears that the region is mostly focused on the Way of Blue/Blue Sentinels/Darkmoon (which according to Yorshka is literally just you now) or the Cathedral of the Deep. No one worships the old pantheon anymore, and items mention that people started to question Allfather Lloyd. Also, it's all undead here now, and has been for a while.

I posted speculation earlier that the Way of White likely once held sway at the Cathedral, and a schism had them massacred. Proof of this is the huge pile of corpses near the entrance, which includes a Maiden's Set. Since there's no mention of Thorolund anywhere either, my theory is that Thorolund is now where the Cathedral of the Deep once stood; the rest of the Kingdom has melted away by this point, and a new religion has taken sway.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I posted speculation earlier that the Way of White likely once held sway at the Cathedral, and a schism had them massacred. Proof of this is the huge pile of corpses near the entrance, which includes a Maiden's Set. Since there's no mention of Thorolund anywhere either, my theory is that Thorolund is now where the Cathedral of the Deep once stood; the rest of the Kingdom has melted away by this point, and a new religion has taken sway.

Makes sense that they found out their saint was really a baby eater and revolted, only to get massacred.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Catching someone chasing you around the corner with Sacred Flame might be the most visceral pleasure Souls has ever delivered.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I was getting really consistant hits with the watchdogs last night at sl30 and a +2 weapon. I just hope it lasts long enough to get all the swordgrass I need for the ring I don't even want to use.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Dazerbeams posted:

The smoldering lake is an awful, useless place.

Smouldering Lake is full of early Large Titanite Shards, shitloads of pyromancy and the best early offensive miracle. And good weapons. Get hosed :colbert:

Also about 2 estus shards and a undead bone shard. Seriously the early trip to Smouldering Lake is non negotiable.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

8-Bit Scholar posted:

there's no real evidence or reason for Lothric and Ithyll to be neighbors

i believe the existence of the undead town and the chapel of the deep, along with oceiros and the consumed king's garden area pretty clearly indicate that lothric and irithyll were at least aware of each other, if not in direct contact. it'd be pretty weird to explain all of the explicit worship of aldrich that the undead town and the road of sacrifice and the church of the deep serves if irithyll was just some theoretical place that might exist, maybe, like heaven. remember that hawkwood literally tells you at one point that aldrich started as a human cannibal, then he got way too fat from eating people and his form lost cohesion, then he got bored with eating people anyway and thought gently caress it, let's try eating gods. my guess is aldrich originally served as the head pontiff or whatever in the chapel of the deep and the road of sacrifice is a literal thing meaning "this is the awful path we march people down from the undead town to the chapel so that they can be eaten". when he got bored with being just a regular cannibal, he reached out to pontiff sulyvahn in irithyll and they both figured out how to anchor anor londo so they could capture a god and aldrich could try eating one of those. i don't know if aldrich became a lord of cinder before or after eating said god; my guess is before, but i can't find anything in the items or dialogue to show that.

anyway, there's also no way that the consumed king would be the consumed king if lothric and irithyll weren't in contact with each other. he at least had to have access to irithyll after aldrich and the pontiff anchored the other place into the pontiff's church, because the consumed king has to pillage knowledge about seath to start down his own path of madness.

in both cases, lothric and irithyll have to be in contact with each other. maybe not everyday people / undead, but the higher-ups definitely knew about each other.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Dark Souls 3 is fun but I think I like the original more :(

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I think they are confusing the doggoats with the actual four-armed satyr demons in Smouldering Lake. The doggoats and satyrs do seem to be related, since there's doggoats in SL and in some cases they are facing satyr husks covered in some kind of fungus.

I thought the satyrs were a later type of demon, maybe the last kind of demon just like Firesage was the first.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 21, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011

NTT posted:

I'm pretty sure I'll never be able to play 1 again.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Whats a quick way to make a gif out of a video?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

codo27 posted:

Whats a quick way to make a gif out of a video?

http://imgur.com/vidgif

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

NTT posted:

Smouldering Lake is full of early Large Titanite Shards, shitloads of pyromancy and the best early offensive miracle. And good weapons. Get hosed :colbert:

Also about 2 estus shards and a undead bone shard. Seriously the early trip to Smouldering Lake is non negotiable.

Oh I made sure to scour the place clean. But I just invisibled myself rather than deal with fighting in nasty corridors. Got Horace to train into a black knight and had them both plunge to a fiery lava death. Felt good.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
You can use "webm for dummies" to make a webm, gifs you might want to try an online converter site or gooncam.

Also now every time I see someone in that Farron gear, particularly the hat, I assume they're going to be the worst pvper ever. I beat one last night in the latter part of Irithyll with an unupgraded longsword.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I should have said, a local video

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

I think they are confusing the doggoats with the actual four-armed satyr demons in Smouldering Lake. The doggoats and satyrs do seem to be related, since there's doggoats in SL and in some cases they are facing satyr husks covered in some kind of fungus.

I thought the satyrs were a latter type of demon, maybe the last kind of demon just like Firesage was the first.

Are you talking about the guys that throw/create fire balls? The other guys in the Demon Ruins are all Ghrus, they just have a lot of varieties. Some wear clothes and wield weapons and some are more feral (and then there's the kind that are weaponless but bipedal and are masters of martial arts and jumping) but they're all the same kind of creature.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I accidentally 'found' the assassin in the church by whacking it with my club but didn't kill it, I didn't gently caress up the quest did I?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NTT posted:

I'm kinda sad that DS1 is the only one in the series that stuck to no-teleporting and making you run around and find shortcuts, since it did that SO WELL and no other videogame even comes close. But on the other hand, DS3's combat is the best of the series and its the perfect mix of everything they learned from DeS, DS1, DS2 and BB. And teleporting is mighty convenient, especially for co-op and pvp.

I'm completely satisfied with DS3 as-is and I love it, but I do wish we could get another game like DS1 at some point.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm kinda sad that DS1 is the only one in the series that stuck to no-teleporting and making you run around and find shortcuts, since it did that SO WELL and no other videogame even comes close. But on the other hand, DS3's combat is the best of the series and its the perfect mix of everything they learned from DeS, DS1, DS2 and BB. And teleporting is mighty convenient, especially for co-op and pvp.

I'm completely satisfied with DS3 as-is and I love it, but I do wish we could get another game like DS1 at some point.

The entire message of Dark Souls 3 is that you're not going to get another DS1; you just want DS1 again, but it's ancient history now.

If you want a new DS1, you had it, it was called Bloodborne.

EDIT: They can keep making dark souls over and over and over and it'd never matter as much; the world can only get worse, and it has to die eventually. Now, at last, we can very clearly kill it.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 21, 2016

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Cyberventurer posted:

Do people really do that? Just blindly run into enemies to chase down an invader? Whenever I get a non-ganking invasion and try that, the host and any phantoms immediately go into turtle mode and stop trying to progress in the level at all, or slowly pull one enemy at a time so they can make their way to me without overextending. I haven't fought a single person so far that either didn't play it safe, summon a ton of help, use a seed of giants or keep so much pressure on me that I couldn't retaliate.

Yes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F5zWpM4zDeo

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Regy Rusty posted:

Are you talking about the guys that throw/create fire balls? The other guys in the Demon Ruins are all Ghrus, they just have a lot of varieties. Some wear clothes and wield weapons and some are more feral (and then there's the kind that are weaponless but bipedal and are masters of martial arts and jumping) but they're all the same kind of creature.

satyr, has 4 arms, is a demon

doggoat, has 2 arms, previously met 5000000 of them in the swamp

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

delete me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
What's the in joke for the thread title?