Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

So I just beat Dancer, and am curious how much game is left. Seems like a natural halfway point but I honestly have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

I see you starting to attack again instead of joining in

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The entire message of Dark Souls 3 is that you're not going to get another DS1; you just want DS1 again, but it's ancient history now.

If you want a new DS1, you had it, it was called Bloodborne.

EDIT: They can keep making dark souls over and over and over and it'd never matter as much; the world can only get worse, and it has to die eventually. Now, at last, we can very clearly kill it.

Uh, what? BB is way closer to the DeS school of design than DS1. BB doesn't do any of the things I was asking for at all. Did you even read my post?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

So I just beat Dancer, and am curious how much game is left. Seems like a natural halfway point but I honestly have no idea.

5 bosses, technically 6, potentially 7 if you missed an optional.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I swear I will stop posting these now

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QzOx-XnNWxU

Orv
May 4, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

I swear I will stop posting these now

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QzOx-XnNWxU

Don't you ever.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

LoG posted:

What's the in joke for the thread title?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VakEHKq5y1g

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

satyr, has 4 arms, is a demon

doggoat, has 2 arms, previously met 5000000 of them in the swamp

Yes alright we're on the same page. I think other people had been referring to the Ghrus (your doggoats) as satyrs which is why I was confused.

But I really wouldn't call those demons satyrs either.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 21, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

turtlecrunch posted:

satyr, has 4 arms, is a demon

doggoat, has 2 arms, previously met 5000000 of them in the swamp

:ssh: That is not a loving satyr, lol

Those are like, owlbears or something. Definitely NOT satyrs.

When you said satyrs I thought you were referring to the goat-people in the swamp. That's what satyrs are. The dog-goats are just satyrs that walk on all-fours, unlike the ones that hop around.

Pictured: A satyr

Doesn't have feathers, beak or four arms.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

When you said satyrs I thought you were referring to the goat-people in the swamp. That's what satyrs are. The dog-goats are just satyrs that walk on all-fours, unlike the ones that hop around.

Bitch did you even look at the second picture.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Uchi is TERRIBLE against the Dancer, holy poo poo. Her hitbox is too small to hit properly as you get pushed back by her legs.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

I like it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

I see you starting to attack again instead of joining in

Missed opportunity, I know.

You know whats crazy. I'm trying to get out of it lately but I always play these games using the side of my index finger to sprint, cause my thumb I'm using to angle the camera around all ~cinematic like~~ while I'm moving.

Orv
May 4, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Uchi is TERRIBLE against the Dancer, holy poo poo. Her hitbox is too small to hit properly as you get pushed back by her legs.

Running R1, forever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Orv posted:

Bitch did you even look at the second picture.

He referred to the second picture as 'doggoats' as opposed to the 'satyr' in the first picture. That's like, backwards at best.

There's satyrs that stand on 2 legs and stayrs that stand on 4 legs both in DS3, but that 4 armed owl-beast that throws fireballs isn't a satyr of any kind.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Pontiff also presumably helpfully donated the chained giants to the Cathedral's labor force, having discovered them in his excursions into the Profaned Capital.

The Pontiff's kind of a dick.

As far as the Lothric question goes though, they had to interact eventually because one of the Pontiff's former employees is now working for the Lothric Church. Vordt is around too, but might be a more recent arrival and is quite possibly working directly for the Pontiff still.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

He referred to the second picture as 'doggoats' as opposed to the 'satyr' in the first picture. That's like, backwards at best.

There's satyrs that stand on 2 legs and stayrs that stand on 4 legs both in DS3, but that 4 armed owl-beast that throws fireballs isn't a satyr of any kind.

If we just call them the name the game gives them instead of making up our own there doesn't need to be any confusion...

They're like one of the few non humanoid enemies in the game that gets an explicit name from their weapon drops.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

Uh, what? BB is way closer to the DeS school of design than DS1. BB doesn't do any of the things I was asking for at all. Did you even read my post?

You want Dark Souls 1 again; the message of Dark Souls 3 is that you can't have it again.

If you just want a game where you have to manually run back and forth to places, I guess you have...every Castlevania game, really. But Bloodborne is a "new" experience that is much more like what Dark Souls 1 was than Dark Souls 3 is; this is by virtue of design. Gameplay wise they are not so similar no, but that's why Bloodborne feels fresher and newer than Dark Souls 3 does.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Are dancer's blades really, really bad or do I just need to upgrade them? I'm at +2 and they do 0 damage

Orv
May 4, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

If we just call them the name the game gives them instead of making up our own there doesn't need to be any confusion...

They're like one of the few non humanoid enemies in the game that gets an explicit name from their weapon drops.

But there is neither darkness nor do they eat you.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Are dancer's blades really, really bad or do I just need to upgrade them? I'm at +2 and they do 0 damage

They're just kinda not great. They split their damage between three different resistances and don't upgrade enough to get past any of them.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The ladder to Farron makes fine sense though? Presumably there's a sloping hill/cliff/elevated area with the upper forest and then they built the wall on the edge of the precipice leading down to the poison swamp?

What's much more definitely a geographic mash-up is the Catacombs of Carthus; they shouldn't be anywhere NEAR Farron but are somehow right underneath.

EDIT: Ithyll isn't visible from Lothric, but there's a big foggy area located below the area you get to see, so I think it's there. That's definitely a distant land though, there's no real evidence or reason for Lothric and Ithyll to be neighbors, and Ithyll is considered a city of legend; it's almost certainly built from the remains of Anor Londo

If you stand on one of the balconies overlooking the poison swamp, it's pretty clear, at least to my eyes, that a significant amount of drainage has happened to that swamp. There is swamp muck going pretty high up the walls there. I wouldn't be surprised if that was originally a lake and those balconies were once piers or something. That's my interpretation, anyway.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Tequila Sunrise posted:

They're bad even after the buff :(

Also I swear the washing pole gets longer each game. The DS3 one is the longest one yet.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Zaphod42 posted:

Pictured: A satyr

Doesn't have feathers, beak or four arms.

I will henceforth refer to this enemy as El Satan to dispel any confusion.

e: El Satine

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lakbay posted:

Also I swear the washing pole gets longer each game. The DS3 one is the longest one yet.

I'm pretty sure the running R1 with the washing pole in PvP makes it extend about a mile, it's heinous.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I need a Dex weapon to finish the game with then. I'm getting my rear end kicked in PvE and PvP, whats something solid?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

8-Bit Scholar posted:

You want Dark Souls 1 again; the message of Dark Souls 3 is that you can't have it again.

If you just want a game where you have to manually run back and forth to places, I guess you have...every Castlevania game, really. But Bloodborne is a "new" experience that is much more like what Dark Souls 1 was than Dark Souls 3 is; this is by virtue of design. Gameplay wise they are not so similar no, but that's why Bloodborne feels fresher and newer than Dark Souls 3 does.

Bloodborne is worse though because it never got a PC port. :colbert:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Finster Dexter posted:

If you stand on one of the balconies overlooking the poison swamp, it's pretty clear, at least to my eyes, that a significant amount of drainage has happened to that swamp. There is swamp muck going pretty high up the walls there. I wouldn't be surprised if that was originally a lake and those balconies were once piers or something. That's my interpretation, anyway.

I sort of got the idea that the swamp and forest are Darkroot Basin and Garden, having drained out considerably..

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
That's okay soon you can play Bloodborne in 8k PSVR and when Ebrietas vomits blood all over you, she really is vomiting blood all over you!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Lakbay posted:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

You're actually on the last stretch right now. You should have three out of four lords of cinders.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Regy Rusty posted:

(and then there's the kind that are weaponless but bipedal and are masters of martial arts and jumping)

gently caress those!!!

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I need a Dex weapon to finish the game with then. I'm getting my rear end kicked in PvE and PvP, whats something solid?

Rapier or Estoc with the Sharp fusion. Press R1 to win.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
So how badly did I gently caress up... I accidentally killed that turtle pilgrim guy. (location spoiler?) I was at the second bonfire in Irithyll of the Boreal Valley and there were some statues of what looked like kids holding swords in the corner. I accidentally swung my great club and the fucker was Chameleoned amongst them. Dead in one hit. Hope I wasn't locked out of anything important.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Don't really know what to say about this other than I completely disagree. Don't feel like getting in a fight about it. But part whole reason I loved DS1 is because it felt like a proper 3D Castlevania, yeah... saying "go play Castlevania instead then!" is kinda a dick thing to say dude. They're not making any more anyways so why do you care so much what I want? Jeeze.

Ever heard of different strokes for different folks?

turtlecrunch posted:

I will henceforth refer to this enemy as El Satan to dispel any confusion.

e: El Satine

El Satan is an appropriate name because they're right proper bastards.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I want you all to know that tonight I'll be invading in the Catacombs.

Your spines are forfeit.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Stockwell posted:

So how badly did I gently caress up... I accidentally killed that turtle pilgrim guy. (location spoiler?) I was at the second bonfire in Irithyll of the Boreal Valley and there were some statues of what looked like kids holding swords in the corner. I accidentally swung my great club and the fucker was Chameleoned amongst them. Dead in one hit. Hope I wasn't locked out of anything important.

How does everyone keep accidentally doing this?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Lakbay posted:

Rapier or Estoc with the Sharp fusion. Press R1 to win.

Do you use a shield with it or what?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

kinda a dick thing to say dude.

said the pot to the kettle

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

killstealing posted:

gently caress those!!!

Agreed, they're up there on my list of deadliest enemies in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Stockwell posted:

no its part of a quest, one would argue thats part of the "good" quest ending unless you're going for the ridiculous secret ending (you aren't)