Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
It is, in fact, the same scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Party time for all the little worms!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Danny John-Jules would be the only Doctor to out-style Pertwee. How do we make this happen?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Trin Tragula posted:

Party time for all the little worms!

"This isn't my fantasy!"
"No! It's mine!" <steals his cigar>

Most underrated line from that episode:

"Rimmer, how did you fantasise having seven kids and a mortgage?"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
You know, when I think about it, I have to rate Rimmer as one of the best-written TV characters I've ever seen. His complex web of neuroses and insecurities is simultaneously completely ridiculous and totally relatable.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Holly really knew what it was doing when it figured out Rimmer was the perfect person to keep Lister in such a heightened state of irritation that he'd forget about sinking into a funk over being the last human being in creation :allears:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, that's explicitly highlighted in "Kryten" when Lister says that driving Rimmer nuts is what keeps him going.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

Holly really knew what it was doing when it figured out Rimmer was the perfect person to keep Lister in such a heightened state of irritation that he'd forget about sinking into a funk over being the last human being in creation :allears:

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, that's explicitly highlighted in "Kryten" when Lister says that driving Rimmer nuts is what keeps him going.

It's outright stated as much at least twice in the course of the show. And in the novels too.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The new companion is getting announced at half-time during the FA cup semi-final on Saturday: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-04-21/new-doctor-who-companion-to-be-revealed-this-saturday

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

cargohills posted:

The new companion is getting announced at half-time during the FA cup semi-final on Saturday: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-04-21/new-doctor-who-companion-to-be-revealed-this-saturday

You what

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

I didn't realize it until it was mentioned in a Cracked article today, but the director of both The Girl Who Died and The Woman Who Lived was none other than Ed Bazalgette, former lead guitarist of The Vapors. You may remember them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWWwM2wwMww

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Sorry, I should have realised that this is the Red Dwarf thread. My bad.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

cargohills posted:

"The new Doctor Who casting will be announced at half time of Everton vs Manchester United" doesn't sound like something that should happen in any sensible world.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"The new Doctor Who casting will be announced at half time of Everton vs Manchester United" doesn't sound like something that should happen in any sensible world.

its the ball

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I sat down to read the Bernard Bale biography of Jon Pertwee and it was so badly written as to be unreadable. Worst $0.50 I ever spent.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I didn't realize it until it was mentioned in a Cracked article today, but the director of both The Girl Who Died and The Woman Who Lived was none other than Ed Bazalgette, former lead guitarist of The Vapors. You may remember them:

what do those episodes have to do with masturbation?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

a trifecta of terrible garbage

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

cargohills posted:

Seemed less crazy when it was.

Radio Times posted:

The new Doctor Who companion will be unveiled at half time during the Everton v Manchester United FA Cup semi-final on BBC1.

It's okay, guys! It's gonna be Nas!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVkQrXCmzUA

After The War fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 21, 2016

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

cargohills posted:

Erm. Ok.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Look, don't ask questions, but I need to borrow the TARDIS and go back in time to the First Avenue Nighclub in 1984 to see a certain performer, and then find out which villain is making 2016 suck so much.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 21, 2016

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

cargohills posted:

I'm impressed that they've managed to keep the entire casting process so quiet. Have any rumors come out?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CobiWann posted:

Look, don't ask questions, but I need to borrow the TARDIS and go back in time to the First Avenue Nighclub in 1984 to see a certain performer, and then find out which villain is making 2016 suck so much.

gently caress 2016 and gently caress all the people it is taking from us

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

howe_sam posted:

I'm impressed that they've managed to keep the entire casting process so quiet. Have any rumors come out?

I hadn't thought it was particularly quiet - all the rumors have pointed to Rakhee Thakrar.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

CobiWann posted:

When did this anglophilia thread become so interested in the royals?

RIP in pacem, P.R.N., purple be thy name

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tom Waits is next.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Rhyno posted:

Tom Waits is next.
Thanks for at least warning us this time.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What, you don't remember all the times they've spent 11 minutes of half-time at the World Cup talking about the match and then stepped away for a couple of minutes to plug some other upcoming BBC programme? It's surely not like they're going to wheel the newbie out onto the pitch and have them do some gasping interview.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

Tom Waits is next.

:getout:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

What a peculiar time to announce the companion. Oh well, at least we can get Shona's announcement made official :)

Wheat Loaf posted:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's outright stated as much at least twice in the course of the show. And in the novels too.

Yeah, uhh.... I wasn't pretending like this was some clever fan theory I came up with or something, I was just noting a stated fact of the show v:shobon:v

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Random thought, but isnt it a shame that with river song returning half a dozen times or more, that this bit character never made a return?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhTAtgJ1n4E

I seriously thought as soon as the episode ended "i cant wait to see more of him".

A aspect of mental illness (brought on by drugs/poison) in the doctor acting as a villian is just..... perfect for the show

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 21, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well he's a psychic projection of the Doctor's negative thoughts, and we now know the Doctor was on his "last" regeneration, so you could always argue he DID come back..... decades earlier in The Trial of a Timelord as the Valeyard!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Toby Jones is very good as John Littlewood in The Man Who Knew Infinity

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Jerusalem posted:

Well he's a psychic projection of the Doctor's negative thoughts, and we now know the Doctor was on his "last" regeneration, so you could always argue he DID come back..... decades earlier in The Trial of a Timelord as the Valeyard!

I'd be fine with Jones playing the Valeyard in a modern story, bit I think it'd be difficult actually making the Valeyard good and/or not nonsensical.

David Tennant as the Half-Doctor/Half-Donna trying to get regenerations could be interesting, too. Probably bad, but interesting.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

true. it should be on Sportscene not Match of the Day

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the Queen's Christmas speech.... in which she will introduce Doctor Who's new companion."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

David Tennant as the Half-Doctor/Half-Donna trying to get regenerations could be interesting, too. Probably bad, but interesting.

The did this in the comics sort of. It was dumb. It was so dumb even the Doctor pointed out how dumb it was.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Rhyno posted:

Tom Waits is next.

Over my dead body. As in, literally. I refuse to live in a world without Tom Waits.

They seem to have done a very good job of keeping the new companion hush-hush.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Barry Foster posted:

Over my dead body. As in, literally. I refuse to live in a world without Tom Waits.

They seem to have done a very good job of keeping the new companion hush-hush.

Well, it was going to be Victoria Wood

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Don't, JaKiri... just... just don't, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

We can have you replaced man.

Unlike them.

• Locked thread