Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Ok Fella posted:

I don't care either way I'm genuinely curious.

it's fair use in this context, because it's parody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

twistedmentat posted:

I just don't know what to make of this

"empathy. compassion. If you like Starbucks, please loving kill yourself."

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

OK, I laughed at this.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Give it up for Trump for falling in love with a particularly ugly wealth aesthetic from the 80s and sticking with it after all these years.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Unless that dude started printing Fry on a t-shirt there is not much the law can do.

Even then Matt Groening collects bootleg Simpsons merch.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

FORMER SLAVE, SPY FOR LIBERATING FORCE = GOOD, DUDE

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Beastie posted:

Unless that dude started printing Fry on a t-shirt there is not much the law can do.

Even then Matt Groening collects bootleg Simpsons merch.

I think another side of it is that if something passes into common vocabulary there's less you can sue over. Like the word "Xerox" for example. Copy machines just started being called "xerox machines" whether or not Xerox had actually made them.

I'd guess (I'm not a lawyer) that an image becoming a meme like that is similar. It means something specific now in internet vocabulary.

Even if it's legal to sue over that sort of thing I highly doubt anybody actually would because then they'd look like a huge jerk and probably destroy themselves even if they won. The other thing is how do you get damages from millions of people using the meme to communicate but not for profit?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Brawnfire posted:

FORMER SLAVE, SPY FOR LIBERATING FORCE = GOOD, DUDE

But balancing a budget trumps everything ever!

twistedmentat posted:

I just don't know what to make of this

I feel like that is ends with "People don't like me because I am too real!!!"

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

I love how they say former slave like that's something she elected to be.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Cosima posted:

I love how they say former slave like that's something she elected to be.

AND as if it's a strike against her.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Sorry to bring this back up, 5 out of those 8 questions are being asked anyway.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I like how the moon in that image is still a sphere

other astronomical bodies are spherical it's just the earth that isn't, you loving sheeple

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Christo posted:

AND as if it's a strike against her.

It's almost phrased as if she's a turncoat. Although from noble Southern slave upbringing, she nonetheless SPIED for the DREADED UNION against her former kindly masters, her co-slaves, and the institution which brought her such opportunity for work and improvement.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Put General Sherman on the $50 bill.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Wasn't the last president to balance the budget Bill Clinton? You know, what with the huge surplus that was squandered by the following administration? :crossarms:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tetracube posted:

other astronomical bodies are spherical it's just the earth that isn't, you loving sheeple

Yeah there's just so many layers of stupid in that image. It's like "the universe works exactly the way they told you in physics class except the Earth is a flat disc that behaves exactly like a sphere."

Like people who study this sort of thing sat down and mathed the hell out of it and were like "yeah poo poo in space beyond a certain size pretty much always turns itself into a sphere because physics." They eliminated those questions by doing science.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

At this point dude needs to seriously just post "I DON'T LIKE BLACK PEOPLE" because that's some serious deliberate misunderstanding of history. :sigh:

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

please sign this petition to decide elections by land area rather than number of votes thank u in advance

yes i know bernie would have had more votes if independents had been able to vote in the democratic primary but using that map as proof that he should have won the state is extremely disingenuous

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Wasn't the last president to balance the budget Bill Clinton? You know, what with the huge surplus that was squandered by the following administration? :crossarms:

They mean "eliminate the national debt", which Jackson did do. He then gave the resulting profits back to the states, who spent it all on hookers and blow and the economy crashed in 1837.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think another side of it is that if something passes into common vocabulary there's less you can sue over. Like the word "Xerox" for example. Copy machines just started being called "xerox machines" whether or not Xerox had actually made them.

I'd guess (I'm not a lawyer) that an image becoming a meme like that is similar. It means something specific now in internet vocabulary.

Even if it's legal to sue over that sort of thing I highly doubt anybody actually would because then they'd look like a huge jerk and probably destroy themselves even if they won. The other thing is how do you get damages from millions of people using the meme to communicate but not for profit?

Verbatim: What Is a Photocopier? | Op-Docs | The New York Times

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Wellp. Prince just died, so I expect a "I don't care" post from Facebook within the hour.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Tetracube posted:

It's stuff like this that fascinates me about Flat Earth, because even this doesn't have a consensus. NOTHING has a consensus about it. Like, at least JFK assassination and Area 51 theories tends to all agree with themselves, but Flat Earth is just a mess of theories that entirely disagree on everything but the Earth being flat. I love it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Like people who study this sort of thing sat down and mathed the hell out of it and were like "yeah poo poo in space beyond a certain size pretty much always turns itself into a sphere because physics." They eliminated those questions by doing science.

I think the biggest part of why people believe stuff like this is an absolutely massive amount of arrogance. They literally can't conceive of other people being significantly smarter or more knowledgeable than they are, say they don't consider "thousands of people have devoted their lives to studying this stuff and all agree the Earth is a spheroid" to be of any importance since clearly those people are so dumb that none of them have noticed why the Earth is actually flat.

There's also the whole "wanting to have access to secret knowledge" aspect, but the arrogance is the most noticeable thing to me, since some of these conspiracy theories basically require that you think the vast majority of the world, including people who devote their lives to a subject, are much dumber than you.

Ytlaya has a new favorite as of 18:11 on Apr 21, 2016

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

BigglesSWE posted:

Wellp. Prince just died, so I expect a "I don't care" post from Facebook within the hour.

woah, gently caress

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Arrogance is by far the most common denominator between conspiracy nutters. Which is really stupid, really. If you have this "alternative" theory about something, and if you want to gain support for it (presumably you would, right?) then you shouldn't really alienate potential allies by acting all high and mighty around them. I guess good social skills and conspiracy theories aren't usually a common mix.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

BigglesSWE posted:

I guess good social skills and conspiracy theories aren't usually a common mix.

It's a good recipe for my favorite cocktail, the Cult Leader

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BigglesSWE posted:

Arrogance is by far the most common denominator between conspiracy nutters. Which is really stupid, really. If you have this "alternative" theory about something, and if you want to gain support for it (presumably you would, right?) then you shouldn't really alienate potential allies by acting all high and mighty around them. I guess good social skills and conspiracy theories aren't usually a common mix.

The assumption is often that they don't need the social skills because their knowledge is so awesome and perfect no debate is actually needed. Those that Get It will believe instantly. Others are deluded fools that need to be educated.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

I can't help but imagine that believing in flat earth theories is heavily correlated with the unironic use of the word 'sheeple'.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Fun fact: this story is entirely made up. Tomatoes with fish genes didn't pan out and were never put on the market. I don't think you can even buy GMO tomatoes right now.

Are you implying that anti-GMO people made something up to support their opinion?

How dare you! That only happens MOST of the time.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
What I'd like to know is who, exactly, benefits from people believing that the earth is a globe.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

SpacePig posted:

What I'd like to know is who, exactly, benefits from people believing that the earth is a globe.

The same people who benefits from the fabrication of the moon, obviously.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SpacePig posted:

Big gyroscope and those monsters at Rand McNally

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BigglesSWE posted:

I caught a variation of that:

As if Prince isn't one of the most celebrated musicians who ever lived.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

We didn't celebrate his life so let us celebrate his death

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

oh my god. :jerkbag:

Everyone I know has heard of and generally likes Prince, and I hear Prince songs pretty regularly. Dave Chappelle paid him an awesome tribute. I have no idea how Prince could have been more "commemorated" during his life.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cosima posted:

oh my god. :jerkbag:

Everyone I know has heard of and generally likes Prince, and I hear Prince songs pretty regularly. Dave Chappelle paid him an awesome tribute. I have no idea how Prince could have been more "commemorated" during his life.

Yeah, this guy is arguably the most insufferable person I met in college. Thankfully the comments are just ripping him. The first one was "You lead the charge. I look forward to your daily tributes to living celebrities."

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

trapped mouse posted:

please sign this petition to decide elections by land area rather than number of votes thank u in advance

yes i know bernie would have had more votes if independents had been able to vote in the democratic primary but using that map as proof that he should have won the state is extremely disingenuous

There will always be someone arguing that total area of land matters more than actual vote numbers. It usually is GOP voters though. #squaremilesmatter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

cash crab posted:

"empathy. compassion. If you like Starbucks, please loving kill yourself."

I just realized what this reminds me of, this classic AUG

I'm smarter than everyone, and more modest.

Madkal posted:

I feel like that is ends with "People don't like me because I am too real!!!"

Probably things like "I'm not racist, I just speak the truth" as well.

My favorite thing I saw was someone complaining about Tubbman by saying "This is a slap in the face of all those to died to defend the cause of the south". So you mean, defending Slavery?