Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

From the thumbnail it looks like the next Clerks movie is moving to Atlantic City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

About time. Shilling has been posting dumb poo poo on Twitter for years. The fact that it's taken this long says more about ESPN than it does about him. His stupidity is self-evident. ESPN suspended him once or twice over the years, but they should have poo poo-canned him years ago. That's all without even mentioning his video game scam. I choose to remember the Curt Shilling that pitched game 6 of the 2004 ALCS, not this bigoted rear end in a top hat.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Weatherman posted:

Thus spake Jastiger

Indeed!

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/flint-water-crisis/2016/04/19/criminal-charges-coming-wednesday-flint-water-crisis/83251574/

It looks like something may come out of those fuckers in Michigan. Unfortunately it isn't targeting the governor, but hopefully some of these pieces of refuse are put in jail for the harm they've done.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Darkhold posted:

I hope some goon knows what article I'm talking about but I remember reading an article on a sinking boat where the crew abandoned it. Some appalling low percent of passengers actively tried to help themselves and others. Another percent simply refused help even when offered and the majority of people just milled around like cows until given direction by the first group.

You always think that you'll be the one with the cool head and the plan of action but statistically you'll be the cattle.

I think I remember the one you mean, though I can't find it, about the MS Estonia. I can't remember the percentages, but it was roughly most people freeze up, some people try to help others and a few people enter survival mode and only think of themselves. In the case of the Estonia, it went down so fast that only the last group had many survivors.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Jastiger posted:

Indeed!

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/flint-water-crisis/2016/04/19/criminal-charges-coming-wednesday-flint-water-crisis/83251574/

It looks like something may come out of those fuckers in Michigan. Unfortunately it isn't targeting the governor, but hopefully some of these pieces of refuse are put in jail for the harm they've done.

they are at max going for 4 years. people died, and thousands more will over the coming decades. this is scapegoating pure and simple, and they are not levying manslaughter charges against anyone.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Krispy Kareem posted:

From the thumbnail it looks like the next Clerks movie is moving to Atlantic City.

"I buttfucked that bitch, and there's no lice at all!" -Jay, probably regarding a Quick Stop customer

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, so people just started bringing it up in the Dark Enlightenment thread, the IOSM thread, the STHD thread... :v:

I would think that a Venn diagram of the dark enlightenment people and the gamergate people would just look like a single circle.

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender

I find it impressive as hell they can drop trucks out of a plane and have it land safely. I also find it hilarious as hell when the trucks smash into a billion pieces while soldiers laugh their asses off.

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbX_I_lrmIc

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nuebot posted:

On one hand, it's awful that he died. On the other hand from the way the story looks, he was acting like a poo poo and it would have been nice if he lived to be humiliated by it

Well, the guy who punched him was apparently the bigger rear end in a top hat. He acted like a jerk when he crossed in front of some scooters, but the whole thing happened according to witnesses because they got off their scooters and began physically attacking him. The comment that got him killed came after he was on the receiving end of battery.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Mosquito Schadenfreude (also something very cool):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79uqMKUoIjE

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Ragequit posted:

Mosquito Schadenfreude (also something very cool):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79uqMKUoIjE

Just don't go near that billboard

corillon
Jun 18, 2004

When you giggle you leak piss.
Grimey Drawer
When the entire Supreme Court is mocking and laughing at you things have not gone well for your case.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...nk_drivers.html

Looking good for the 4th amendment.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
“....we are going to be doing warrants for blood draws in every case. And that is not what this court wants.”

A majority of justices spent the last several minutes suggesting that, in fact, warrants are exactly what the court wants. Everyone looks befuddled.

Wonderful

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is Curt Schilling banned from Rhode Island since his MMO, which was funded from a loan there, went under? I feel bad for the people who worked under him because he sounds like a turd.

I don't know if he's banned or not, but the whole Kingdoms of Amalur story is just a weird piece of video game history. Mega-rich baseball player decides that he just really, really wants to make video games and hires big-name authors and artists to help. The game originally slated to be an MMO is converted into a single-player game instead and gets a loan from the state of Rhose Island to help fund it, gets mediocre reviews and sales, defaults on the loan, and Schilling himself declares bankruptcy. At the end of the day, the state of Rhode Island owns a video game IP and is currently being charged with fraud by the SEC.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

lol, I once got locked in a BMW when I was growing up because I decided to chill in the car while my parents went to a gift shop somewhere to pick something up quick, which turned into an hour long chat with the loving cashier. Tried to get out after half an hour due to boredom and the car thought it was being burgled and kept the doors from opening and started blaring the alarm. They ignored the car alarm going off for like half an hour while the doors refused to open and I was looking around for things to smash the window open because it was getting too hot when they finally came out going "oh that was the car alarm we were so annoyed with the entire time we were talking!"

i was pissed as hell lmao

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

corillon posted:

When the entire Supreme Court is mocking and laughing at you things have not gone well for your case.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...nk_drivers.html

Looking good for the 4th amendment.

As someone who lives in the rural area around Fargo/Moorhead, I assure you if there's a justice assigned to issue warrants he's probably chomping at the bit to do so.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Since I'm sharing childhood stories here I was also once run over by an unmanned golf cart

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Kurieg posted:

As someone who lives in the rural area around Fargo/Moorhead, I assure you if there's a justice assigned to issue warrants he's probably chomping at the bit to do so.

All the more reason why it shouldn't take several hours to reach 'em by phone (even if it is a rural area, where as everyone knows phone signals are powered by steam instead of electricity, making everything take much longer).

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

LonsomeSon posted:

All the more reason why it shouldn't take several hours to reach 'em by phone (even if it is a rural area, where as everyone knows phone signals are powered by steam instead of electricity, making everything take much longer).

That was my point.

Especially confusing because they used Fargo as their example which is about as Blue and metropolitan as our state gets. As opposed to say, Dickinson or Minot.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Control Volume posted:

Since I'm sharing childhood stories here I was also once run over by an unmanned golf cart

So this was you?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

A close approximation

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Control Volume posted:

lol, I once got locked in a BMW when I was growing up because I decided to chill in the car while my parents went to a gift shop somewhere to pick something up quick, which turned into an hour long chat with the loving cashier. Tried to get out after half an hour due to boredom and the car thought it was being burgled and kept the doors from opening and started blaring the alarm. They ignored the car alarm going off for like half an hour while the doors refused to open and I was looking around for things to smash the window open because it was getting too hot when they finally came out going "oh that was the car alarm we were so annoyed with the entire time we were talking!"

i was pissed as hell lmao
A friend gave me a ride in his sportscar and got out without telling me how to unlock my door and the lock was integrated into the design so I couldn't figure it out and I had to bang on the windows and yell to get someone to rescue me. Now it's one of those stories I tell to amuse myself and others, like the story about the time I sat on a fishhook, or the one about getting bit by a goat twice.

trickybiscuits has a new favorite as of 19:40 on Apr 21, 2016

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

they are at max going for 4 years. people died, and thousands more will over the coming decades. this is scapegoating pure and simple, and they are not levying manslaughter charges against anyone.

They've never sustain a manslaughter charge, because there's no way the elements of that crime were met under Michigan law. Prosecutors don't like to charge crimes that they know they won't be able to get a conviction on in a million billion years.

quote:

Officials also still are exploring possible links between the river water and the Legionnaires' outbreak.

They can't even say with any certainty that there's a connection between the people who died and the changing of the water source, and you want them to file manslaughter charges?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Phanatic posted:

They've never sustain a manslaughter charge, because there's no way the elements of that crime were met under Michigan law. Prosecutors don't like to charge crimes that they know they won't be able to get a conviction on in a million billion years.

They can't even say with any certainty that there's a connection between the people who died and the changing of the water source, and you want them to file manslaughter charges?

the lead poisoning alone is going to be responsible for the deaths of thousands

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the lead poisoning alone is going to be responsible for the deaths of thousands

Can you prove that they didn't die of completely unrelated lead based causes?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Ddraig posted:

I guess that would depend on the amount of minorities and police presence in the area.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

DandyLion posted:

I guess that would depend on the amount of minorities and police presence in the area.

:drat:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

DandyLion posted:

Goddrat

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Kurieg posted:

That was my point.

Especially confusing because they used Fargo as their example which is about as Blue and metropolitan as our state gets. As opposed to say, Dickinson or Minot.

Here's my problem with the way the Court is going to come out on this though.

If they're going to require a judge be on call and waiting to issue warrants for blood tests there is NO reason they can't require the same for station administered breath tests. But because the Justices have such a hard on for saying that "blood is different" they'll limit the holding to blood tests, even that as far as the burden analysis goes it would be just as easy to get a warrant for a station breath test as a blood draw.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

trickybiscuits posted:

about the time I sat on a fishhook, or the one about getting bit by a goat twice.

Wanna hear both these stories, especially the goat one.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Pook Good Mook posted:

If they're going to require a judge be on call and waiting to issue warrants for blood tests there is NO reason they can't require the same for station administered breath tests. But because the Justices have such a hard on for saying that "blood is different" they'll limit the holding to blood tests, even that as far as the burden analysis goes it would be just as easy to get a warrant for a station breath test as a blood draw.

I thought the justices were saying "If you're taking them to the police station anyway for a breathalyzer why aren't you spending the time in that car getting a warrant? If you have the time to do so, choosing not to do so is stupid."

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ninjahedgehog posted:

I don't know if he's banned or not, but the whole Kingdoms of Amalur story is just a weird piece of video game history. Mega-rich baseball player decides that he just really, really wants to make video games and hires big-name authors and artists to help. The game originally slated to be an MMO is converted into a single-player game instead and gets a loan from the state of Rhose Island to help fund it, gets mediocre reviews and sales, defaults on the loan, and Schilling himself declares bankruptcy. At the end of the day, the state of Rhode Island owns a video game IP and is currently being charged with fraud by the SEC.

Can you go into more detail about Rhode Island being sued? How is this?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Ddraig posted:

we 100% know lead levels like these kids have in their blood leads to lifelong health conditions that are often fatal. Proving any individual case is difficult, and as a result, no one will be punished for this because no one will care to expend the effort to do so.

cause these are mostly black kids.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Can you go into more detail about Rhode Island being sued? How is this?

Phoneposting, so I'm just going off of memory. Basically, Rhode Island loaned 38 Studios $50 million as part of an incentive to lure high-tech jobs into the state, but since 38 was only working on one game at the time (Copernicus, the MMO that was going to follow up Amalur) the only way to pay back the loan was to launch the game and $50 million wasn't nearly enough to do it with. The SEC attests that the government of Rhode Island knew this and lied to taxpayers and bond-holders about the risk. Usually, when a company defaults on a government loan the state seizes and sells their assets in order to recoup its losses, but now all Rhode Island has is a half-finished MMO which is worth nothing.

ninjahedgehog has a new favorite as of 20:53 on Apr 21, 2016

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ninjahedgehog posted:

Phoneposting, so I'm just going off of memory. Basically, Rhode Island loaned 38 Studios $50 million as part of an incentive to lure high-tech jobs into the state, but since 38 was only working on one game at the time (Copernicus, the MMO that was going to follow up Amalur) the only way to pay back the loan was to launch the game and $50 million wasn't nearly enough to do it with. The SEC attests that the government of Rhode Island knew this and lied to taxpayers and bond-holders about the risk. Usually, when a company defaults on a government loan the state seizes and sells their assets in order to recoup its losses, but now all Rhode Island has is a half-finished MMO which is worth nothing.

Let's hear what Rhode Island governor and former presidential candidate Lincoln Chafee had to say about it.

quote:

Despite Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning selling "1.22 million copies in its first 90 days" according to 38 Studios head Curt Schilling, it apparently never crested the 3 million mark it needed to break even. "The game failed, the game failed," Rhode Island Governor Lincoln Chafee told attendees of a press conference this afternoon.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/24/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning-had-to-sell-3m-just-to-break-even/

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Once again video games bring ruin and destruction

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Wanamingo posted:

Let's hear what Rhode Island governor and former presidential candidate Lincoln Chafee had to say about it.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/24/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning-had-to-sell-3m-just-to-break-even/

This is my favorite part of the whole story: an elected governor having to go on record complaining about a swords-and-dragons video game's sales numbers because it's now a public asset.

EDIT: To his credit, it looks like Chafee was a voice of reason during the whole thing and opposed the loan, although he took office too late to stop it.

ninjahedgehog has a new favorite as of 21:02 on Apr 21, 2016

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Wanamingo posted:

There's a saying in the RI game industry: You can't Strafe the Chafe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ahhh. I thought 38 studios had lied. I didn't know Rhode Island knew about the unreasonable expectations. poo poo.

I kind of comment the state for taking a gamble on a game and project like that. Other boondoggle exist and are far more damaging and expensive. It's just too bad they threw in with a POS like Schilling.