Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

turtlecrunch posted:

That's mostly what I thought too, "hey it's the Old Workshop!" In Bloodborne it was someplace used in the past by Gherman, before he became Dream Gherman.

In DS3 I'm not sure, like why is it behind Oceiros? There was a very interesting item description on Champ's armor though: "Gundyr, or the Belated Champion, was bested by an unknown warrior. He then became sheath to a coiled sword in the hopes that someday, the first flame would be linked once more." So it is very similar to the Old Workshop again in the sense that it is surely sometime in the past, and Champ and Iudex are the same guy.

So to work from that: you wound Champ, he becomes the sheath, but that wound is also infected by a dark mass. Iudex carries this dark mass through the ages, but if he is the only origin point this means that you, the Unkindled, are responsible for all the goopy dragon monsters.

Looking at the other new enemies there, there are dogs and grave wardens. Lets assume the dogs just belong to the grave wardens and there isn't some extended dog lore to go into. Why are the grave wardens there, when these are the Untended Graves? You do find the grave wardens outside the Cathedral of the Deep as well, but more importantly they are specifically mentioned in High Lord Wolnir's item descriptions. These descriptions aren't very well written though and seem a little confusing.

Wolnir seems to be both a conqueror and a grave warden (and a pyromancer), but on top of that there were other grave wardens that learned from him or discovered separately from him certain Abyssal magicks.

--------------------------------------

Grave Warden Pyromancy Tome - A pyromancy tome of the grave warden, from the Carthus catacombs. Give to the pyromancer master to learn black flame sorceries. High Lord Wolnir of Carthus succumbed to the Abyss, but the pyromancer later became a grave warden, and discovered the black flame.

Black Flame (from tome) - Pyromancy discovered by grave wardens after High Lord Wolnir fell to the Abyss. Creates a giant, black flame in hand. Black flames born from the Abyss bear no shadow. They are said to be the impenetrable fires of humanity.

Black Fire Orb (from tome) - Pyromancy discovered by grave wardens after High Lord Wolnir fell to the Abyss. Hurls a black fireball. The black flame inflicts dark damage, striking targets with weighty force.

Black Serpent (from soul) - Pyromancy discovered from the Abyss by High Lord Wolnir that inspired the black arts of the grave wardens. Releases undulating black flames that trace the ground. Be it sorcery or pyromancy, all techniques that infringe on humanity lead to the same place. That is to say, they all seek a will of their own.

Wolnir's Holy Sword (from soul) - A holy sword eroded by the Abyss. When Wolnir fell to the Abyss, he was gripped by a fear of true darkness, and pleaded to the gods for the first time. This holy sword, together with three armlets stripped from the corpses of clerics, gave him some semblance of comfort. [three clerics huh? and Wolnir is a giant skeleton, gee what could this be referencing blahblahblah]

Wolnir's Crown (from maiden) - Crown of Wolnir, the Carthus conqueror. Once upon a time, such things were bequeathed judiciously to each of the rightful lords, until Wolnir brought them to their knees, and ground their crowns to dust. Then the crowns became one, and Wolnir, the one High Lord.

--------------------------------------

Of course, Wolnir might be a completely separate encounter with the Abyss from anything going on with Untended Graves. Is there anything dropped by the dark mass/dragon goop creatures that addresses their nature directly?

e: I agree that Untended Graves could be a location from a time when the Prince refused to link the fire.
e2: I almost forgot but there is also a cluster of corvians in UG, where their only other association seems to be the Painted World and the Road of Sacrifices. There is one in Irithyll praying to a grave, that's the closest you find them to the actual Painted World.

Wait, do we go to the Painted World again in DS3? Did I miss that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
So...what the gently caress IS Irithyll?? I haven't done the boss yet but I found the bonfire at the Dungeon and the Distant Manor that looks like Anor Londo, has Silver Knights, a Divine Blessing, and a picture of Ol' Chesty Herself on the wall.

Did I literally just walk back in to Dark Souls 1??

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
So the official guide is total poo poo, then? I was sort of hoping to do a completionist run without having a wiki open next to me, and a paper guide seems appealing, but the reviews for it are terrible.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

voltcatfish posted:

Bleed actually proccing twice on a boss makes me want to boost my pitiful 7 luck to make it happen significantly more often

Would 20 DEX 20 luck be too gimpy?

As a person who has 40 hours on a 40 luck build, luck barely effects the proc rate and you're better off just putting rouge on your weapon.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is any one of the Pontiff's swords considered way better than the other?

Not sure about way better. One is Str/Dex and has a fire buff attack, the other is Str/Dex/Int and has a magic buff. They're both pretty much bastard swords.

The magic one (greatsword of judgement) has a ranged beam attack like the moonlight greatsword, while the fire one only has uppercuts and stuff, but they hit hard.

Vermain posted:

There are two characters who can train Pyromancies in this game. One of them is a prisoner. May the flames guide your way.

I think by "other pyromancies" he's probably talking about the ones that the first pyromancer refuses to accept. So then he's trying to find the prisoner yeah.

She's so easy to miss because

turtlecrunch posted:

She is really hard to notice because she is in a big gently caress-off room and there is no light on her whatsoever.

Not to mention that the room is off to the side kinda in a corner you might forget to check too.

Course its even easier to miss the sorcery guy IMO. It was nice that you get access to basic miracles and sorcery so early in the game, but its kinda awkward that you could so easily miss the pyromancy or sorcery trainers themselves and the actual good magic.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

HnK416 posted:

So...what the gently caress IS Irithyll?? I haven't done the boss yet but I found the bonfire at the Dungeon and the Distant Manor that looks like Anor Londo, has Silver Knights, a Divine Blessing, and a picture of Ol' Chesty Herself on the wall.

Did I literally just walk back in to Dark Souls 1??

Keep going, you'll figure out what's going on.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vermain posted:

To be more specific (exact spoiled location ahead): she is located in a cell at the bottom level of Irithyll Dungeon at the very back of a small hallway, next to a cell with one of the Crucified Hollows in it. You need the Jailer's Key Ring to open up her cell, which can be obtained in the Profane Capital by going up the stairs next to the chapel in the poison swamp. Note that she also accepts both Dark braille tomes once you ask her about them twice, allowing you to avoid corrupting Irina-chan.

Too late to give her the braille (but I don't plan on using them so whatever), but thanks. I'll work through the dungeon then double back from the capital. I'm just getting tired of Fire Orb, and Boulder Heave and Black Serpent turned out to be :mediocre:.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Why is the dark sword so popular? Every other invasion/coop has a phantom with one and it's been mentioned a few times in the thread.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

sector_corrector posted:

So the official guide is total poo poo, then? I was sort of hoping to do a completionist run without having a wiki open next to me, and a paper guide seems appealing, but the reviews for it are terrible.

Yeah its total dogshit. They switched publishers and its nothing like the old DS or BB guides.

Stupid, lovely Prima guides. The FuturePress ones were great.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lakbay posted:

Why is the dark sword so popular? Every other invasion/coop has a phantom with one and it's been mentioned a few times in the thread.

It's half longsword, half greatsword, fairly quick, and hits like a truck.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

RBA Starblade posted:

Wait, do we go to the Painted World again in DS3? Did I miss that?

No, it is referenced in the corvians' item descriptions. The mage ones tell the others stories about the Painted World. Another item description says Aldrich dreamed about "a young, pale girl in hiding" when he was eating Gwyndolin. There is also a NPC that is a baby Priscilla, but she is separated from the real world only by an invisible pathway, rather than a whole painted realm. Down the tower below her are the painting guardian items.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 21, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Lakbay posted:

Because it has an absolutely obscene AR for being a straight sword-speed weapon while scaling off of only a single stat (STR). You can get to 40 STR and then dump all of the rest of your points into END/VIG/VIT to become an unbeatably tough monster truck of a human.

For a point of comparison: your basic +10 Refined Longsword, at 40 STR/40 DEX, has 428 AR. That's 28 more AR for 25~ points of DEX investment (assuming that you need 15 DEX for the Dark Sword) that could've been dumped into VIG or END instead.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 21, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Lakbay posted:

As a person who has 40 hours on a 40 luck build, luck barely effects the proc rate and you're better off just putting rouge on your weapon.

Aw gently caress. I saw a few people say with 20 luck they were consistently proccing bleed every 3-4 hits, but I guess not?

gently caress it, then.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Not sure about way better. One is Str/Dex and has a fire buff attack, the other is Str/Dex/Int and has a magic buff. They're both pretty much bastard swords.

The magic one (greatsword of judgement) has a ranged beam attack like the moonlight greatsword, while the fire one only has uppercuts and stuff, but they hit hard.

OK. I'm 2 points of STR away from being able to use the Str/Dex, and 2 points of Int away from using the magic one so I was wondering if one of them was hugely better than the other before I commit any levels. Since I'm focusing on Dex and melee anyway the Str/Dex one probably makes more sense to use.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Since I dragged the cat out of the bag yesterday by telling the PVP Watchdog guy some of the things I can do were I an rear end in a top hat since From screwed up...

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4fs8pv/cheaters_in_pvp_and_you_a_worrying_analysis/

I'll be blunt. If you're on PC, and you see anything wrong with an invader, get out. I can give people endless souls on demand, murder every NPC on the map, etc etc. Instacurse and forced dragon body transformation are also back. This really is like DS1, it's comical.

And I wouldn't count on From being able to tell if a hacker gave you all those souls and to leave you alone.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

turtlecrunch posted:

No, it is referenced in the corvians' item descriptions. The mage ones tell the others stories about the Painted World. Another item description says Aldrich dreamed about "a young, pale girl in hiding" when he was eating Gwyndolin. There is also a NPC that is a baby Priscilla, but she is separated from the real world only by an invisible pathway, rather than a whole painted realm. Down the tower below her are the painting guardian items.

Oh poo poo I didn't put two and two together there, that's awesome.

quote:

I'll be blunt. If you're on PC, and you see anything wrong with an invader, get out. I can give people endless souls on demand, murder every NPC on the map, etc etc. Instacurse and forced dragon body transformation are back with a vengeance, DS1 style.

And I wouldn't count on From being able to tell if a hacker gave you all those souls and to leave you alone.

It really blows my mind that not only did From make the netcode and everything three games shittier after how good Scholar and BB were about it, but they made this worse too.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I got invaded for the first time yesterday, pulled off a parry vs. his Farron Greatsword, and got absolutely 0 damage out of the riposte. Nothing else was wrong with him; he took damage like normal, had normal levels of Stamina, and I even surprised him with Hidden Body. Neat netcode!

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I was playing through the whole game with the Greatsword, but the attacks are really slow and it's not really suited to the second phase of the fight. Died something like 20 times on Nameless King before deciding to make a +10 Dark Sword, went back and took him down on the second try. That poo poo is ridiculous.

I feel like in their desire to make Souls speedier and more like BB, they may have failed to balance things out quite perfectly. The other games had enemies who left openings for you to get your great big slow weapon swings in, but 3 sometimes just doesn't. Not on every boss, but on enough to make it noticeable. Like the Champ, I could just barely get one longsword swing in after the 10 dodges required to avoid one of his crazy chain attacks, before having to roll away again. If I had to wait for a bigass ultra-greatsword to swing, I don't know how that fight would have been possible. And with normal enemies almost all having nothing for poise, you're always better off spamming quick R1s to stun them rather than trying to swing a big weapon, because many of them have chain attacks that will interrupt your swing and eat 3/4ths of your HP bar if you let them get started.

When you get in the zone, Souls usually plays almost like a rhythm game. Dodge dodge block block parry stab stab, etc. DS3 usually hits the right notes, but sometimes it feels like a rhythm game that hasn't been calibrated properly. Like the hits aren't coming on the 'beats' if you will.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vermain posted:

I got invaded for the first time yesterday, pulled off a parry vs. his Farron Greatsword, and got absolutely 0 damage out of the riposte. Nothing else was wrong with him; he took damage like normal, had normal levels of Stamina, and I even surprised him with Hidden Body. Neat netcode!

I had a game last night where I couldn't hurt a host's phantoms, but could hurt the host. I assumed one of them was just cheating and ignored it but I guess maybe not?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

RBA Starblade posted:

It really blows my mind that not only did From make the netcode and everything three games shittier after how good Scholar and BB were about it, but they made this worse too.

It's really, really bad. There are likely progression blockers buried in here, if only outright stat editors.

Do you trust From to know somebody else did it to you? I sure don't.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Tallgeese posted:

Since I dragged the cat out of the bag yesterday by telling the PVP Watchdog guy some of the things I can do were I an rear end in a top hat since From screwed up...

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4fs8pv/cheaters_in_pvp_and_you_a_worrying_analysis/

I'll be blunt. If you're on PC, and you see anything wrong with an invader, get out. I can give people endless souls on demand, murder every NPC on the map, etc etc. Instacurse and forced dragon body transformation are also back. This really is like DS1, it's comical.

lol
e: I would also like to see them repeat their goofs on the dlc patches for DS2 please.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 21, 2016

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

voltcatfish posted:

Aw gently caress. I saw a few people say with 20 luck they were consistently proccing bleed every 3-4 hits, but I guess not?

gently caress it, then.

My 7 luck Knight is proccing bleed with an inherent bleed weapon + rouge every 3-4 hits. My 40 luck build procs bleed with his warden twinblades + rouge every 3-4 hits.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That, by the way, is how I would give someone the Proofs of a Concord Kept. I can force items on someone, though I've never tried actually specifying the exact item...

Wouldn't it be just grand if I could?

(No. It wouldn't be. That would be extremely bad.)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

BobTheJanitor posted:

I feel like in their desire to make Souls speedier and more like BB, they may have failed to balance things out quite perfectly.

The issue is that they've tried to speed up the gameplay while not actually making adjustments to certain core mechanics to facilitate this. Parrying is outrageously dangerous in PVE to the point of being useless due to the inclusion of partial ripostes (where you can still get hit by an attack, even if you get a successful parry and a followup riposte). This is okay in Bloodborne because of rally, but it's dogshit in DS3 where the idea is that you're supposed to treasure each and every hitpoint. Certain enemies like the crocodogs punish heavy weapons tremendously because of their ability to chain spam ultra-deadly attacks even faster than the bullshit hammer Shrine Guardians from DS2. The incomprehensibly weird changes to the Poise system means that you're at a serious disadvantage with slow weapons, both because you cannot stunlock enemies as effectively and because you can't dodge roll out of the way in time if they decide to use a hyper armor attack.

All that this does is make the game frustratingly hard for anyone who's trying to play through the game with something other than a straight sword and a 100% physical shield. The game became about twenty times easier when I finally just bit the bullet, upgraded a Dark Sword, picked up the Stone Parma, and returned to strafe backstabbing as my strategy of choice.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I'm not actually convinced that Hollow Gems can drop. :argh:

...Although if what people are saying above about bleed is true, maybe RIP luck builds and I should just mash my face against the Sharp Gem droppers.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
there's always an optimal way to play souls games, choosing to play and succeed in suboptimal ways is almost the whole point for a large % of players i think

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

Toiwat posted:

gently caress these assholes

yeah that was a hard fight, but worth it for the reward IMO. You can fight one at a time if you hit the far one (not the one in the screenshot) with a bow and then climb the ladder while he runs over....drop attack him and then get into it and just don't leave the area....then fight the second separate with lots of space.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Mr. WTF posted:

yeah that was a hard fight, but worth it for the reward IMO. You can fight one at a time if you hit the far one (not the one in the screenshot) with a bow and then climb the ladder while he runs over....drop attack him and then get into it and just don't leave the area....then fight the second separate with lots of space.

I tried a drop attack on it and I died from fall damage. :(

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TheQat posted:

there's always an optimal way to play souls games, choosing to play and succeed in suboptimal ways is almost the whole point for a large % of players i think

Right, but you can still have builds that are suboptimal without also massively increasing the difficulty curve if the game is designed well. It was more challenging to use an ultra greatsword in DS2 than a two-handed Estoc with the Stone Ring, but you could still get through the game reliably due to constant Poise breaking and the pace of attacks (with a few exceptions like the aforementioned hammer guardians). Meanwhile, accidentally swinging a Zweihander when a redeye Lothric Knight decides to do their hyper armor attack in DS3 is going to leave you with a deficit of about 900 HP. It sucks and is awful.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

turtlecrunch posted:

I tried a drop attack on it and I died from fall damage. :(

I used carthus rouge to bleed proc them to death, you can also hide behind the pillars. doable fight when you learn their very limited moveset

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The pro crocodog strat, as with every enemy in the game, is to pull one back with a bow, circle strafe them with a high Stability shield out, and then whack them once when they're in the recovery frames for the one attack they have that they won't immediately combo into a lightning-fast 6 frame attack after.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

uguuuuue~

from this (all boss/enemy spoilers)

e: I don't know what is going on with the textures in this game sometimes

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 21, 2016

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Vermain posted:

All that this does is make the game frustratingly hard for anyone who's trying to play through the game with something other than a straight sword and a 100% physical shield. The game became about twenty times easier when I finally just bit the bullet, upgraded a Dark Sword, picked up the Stone Parma, and returned to strafe backstabbing as my strategy of choice.

Having played the whole game prior to the Nameless King with the greatsword, most fights are mostly about baiting an enemy into running in and attacking you after you've fully charged your R2 attack. That's generally enough to stun enemies out of their attacks unless it's a boss and then you can roll away and do it again, but everything is so aggressive in this game that trying to look for holes in their attack cycle to get off a regular R1 or R2 usually gets you killed. Sulyvahn with the greatsword was tough to find openings for an attack as well as Champion Grundyr but I managed them eventually. Nameless King is so aggressive that I just gave up and finally switched weapons just for that fight.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Vermain posted:

Right, but you can still have builds that are suboptimal without also massively increasing the difficulty curve if the game is designed well. It was more challenging to use an ultra greatsword in DS2 than a two-handed Estoc with the Stone Ring, but you could still get through the game reliably due to constant Poise breaking and the pace of attacks (with a few exceptions like the aforementioned hammer guardians). Meanwhile, accidentally swinging a Zweihander when a redeye Lothric Knight decides to do their hyper armor attack in DS3 is going to leave you with a deficit of about 900 HP. It sucks and is awful.

meh, ds3 is the best game on any platform in a long time for me

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

There's actually a straight-up missing texture in Wolnir's room.

TheQat posted:

I'm two bosses away from the end and I think it's a decent game, overall. What rankles me is that it stumbles on so many gameplay issues that should have been sorted out over the span of time since the initial release of Demon's Souls.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 21, 2016

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
So it looks like there's no point in upgrading staves? It only appears to affect physical attack and not spell buff. Am I missing something?

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Are there penalties for being killed by invaders and bosses, or just regular mobs?

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

Vermain posted:

The pro crocodog strat, as with every enemy in the game, is to pull one back with a bow, circle strafe them with a high Stability shield out, and then whack them once when they're in the recovery frames for the one attack they have that they won't immediately combo into a lightning-fast 6 frame attack after.

Yeah except you have to watch for that crazy twist bite.

BTW...on the drop attack - not from all the way up the ladder!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

TheQat posted:

You should play Bloodborne and be blown away then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mr. WTF posted:

Yeah except you have to watch for that crazy twist bite.

You can block that the majority of the time by lockon strafing. I've had it break through once or twice, but as long as you wait for the recovery frames to pass the point where he won't combo a second bite before attacking you should be fine.